Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vikings 2013 NFL Draft Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 101, 102, 103  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With teams like the Giants, Eagles, Steelers and Ravens getting it done through the air, you wonder if we have to get that prototypical #1. All those teams lack that 6'3 215 #1 but have those guys who excel in YAC AND can also get vertical. With Rudolph's size and Simpson's vert there is enough size there to succeed.

With that said, I'm questioning whether Woods could be a good pick. Woods is one of the better route runners in the nation and plays in a pro offense that should allow him to be an effective player in year 1. He is also a tank with the YAC yardage with the ability to get vertical. With Simpson and Woods, that is a good duo who can stretch the field. Allowing Harvin and Rudolph to work the underneath stuff.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
With teams like the Giants, Eagles, Steelers and Ravens getting it done through the air, you wonder if we have to get that prototypical #1. All those teams lack that 6'3 215 #1 but have those guys who excel in YAC AND can also get vertical. With Rudolph's size and Simpson's vert there is enough size there to succeed.

With that said, I'm questioning whether Woods could be a good pick. Woods is one of the better route runners in the nation and plays in a pro offense that should allow him to be an effective player in year 1. He is also a tank with the YAC yardage with the ability to get vertical. With Simpson and Woods, that is a good duo who can stretch the field. Allowing Harvin and Rudolph to work the underneath stuff.

I like the athletic skill sets that Woods would bring to the table, but every scouting report that I read says that he drops too many passes. He'll make that spectacular catch look easy, but he'll drop the easy catches. And I don't want a receiver who has a reputation of dropping passes.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:

I like the athletic skill sets that Woods would bring to the table, but every scouting report that I read says that he drops too many passes. He'll make that spectacular catch look easy, but he'll drop the easy catches. And I don't want a receiver who has a reputation of dropping passes.

Yeah, he drops passes but he isn't anywhere near as bad as Terrell Owens or Troy Williamson. He is more the lines of Simpson. They think about turning up field so quick that sometimes they drop the an easy one. His drops aren't as bad as critics make it seem.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:

There's obviously more than one way to succeed in the NFL. From the 4-3 to the 3-4, spread, power running, there's always different styles. That doesn't mean that one style isn't superior to the other.

Looking at the Vikings, I see a WR corps that is one of the worst in the league. Only Simpson is a starting calibre outside WR, and while Harvin is one of the best slot recievers/weapons in the NFL, he's not as good on the outside, and down the field. Add to that mix a young, unexperienced QB, who is at least a few years away from becoming the type of passer that makes his recievers better, rather than vice-versa, and I see the perfect match for a big 6ft4 4.5 wideout, that can instantly make this WR corps a lot better.

I agree that a balanced wr corps of more 'limited' wr's can work, but the teams you mentioned have 10, 9, 9 and 5 years vets at QB. Between them 4 superbowls, multiple pro bowls and a whole host of other awards. I don't think Ponder is at the stage where he could really benefit from a CJ or AJ Green type of reciever.

Lil Uno wrote:

It's probably unfair to Woods, but short YAC recievers leave a bad taste in my mouth after Crabtree. Probably not a fair comparison, as Woods is faster, but I prefer recievers that are a step above DB's when it comes to H-W-S. That way they can always dominate them with their athleticism and size, and afterwards refine their game. With smaller recievers, the ceiling is lower, and their game needs to be much more refined coming into the league, because they can't just dominate based on their talent like AJ Green or CJ can.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeAndre Hopkins is a guy fast rising up my board, surpassing my boy Watkins. He's a play maker in every sense of the word.
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
Lil Uno wrote:

There's obviously more than one way to succeed in the NFL. From the 4-3 to the 3-4, spread, power running, there's always different styles. That doesn't mean that one style isn't superior to the other.

Looking at the Vikings, I see a WR corps that is one of the worst in the league. Only Simpson is a starting calibre outside WR, and while Harvin is one of the best slot recievers/weapons in the NFL, he's not as good on the outside, and down the field. Add to that mix a young, unexperienced QB, who is at least a few years away from becoming the type of passer that makes his recievers better, rather than vice-versa, and I see the perfect match for a big 6ft4 4.5 wideout, that can instantly make this WR corps a lot better.

I agree that a balanced wr corps of more 'limited' wr's can work, but the teams you mentioned have 10, 9, 9 and 5 years vets at QB. Between them 4 superbowls, multiple pro bowls and a whole host of other awards. I don't think Ponder is at the stage where he could really benefit from a CJ or AJ Green type of reciever.

Lil Uno wrote:

It's probably unfair to Woods, but short YAC recievers leave a bad taste in my mouth after Crabtree. Probably not a fair comparison, as Woods is faster, but I prefer recievers that are a step above DB's when it comes to H-W-S. That way they can always dominate them with their athleticism and size, and afterwards refine their game. With smaller recievers, the ceiling is lower, and their game needs to be much more refined coming into the league, because they can't just dominate based on their talent like AJ Green or CJ can.

Which is a very fair assessment. I guess the point I poorly tried to make was, this team needs WR help. We shouldn't limit ourselves looking for that prototype #1.

As for YAC receivers, a majority of the NFL's best YAC guys are shorter agile guys. YAC is just one of Woods' abilities. I don't think people understand how good a route runner Woods is. Woods will easily be a Top 15 route runner in the NFL next year. Route running is an overlooked trait when evaluating prospects.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

College route running skills dont always translate to the next level, that is why its a trait that knocked. Scouts need to evaluate on the potential of that player running routes at the next level. In terms of WRs taken in the top 10, teams usually draft those big, fast types who can stretch the field. That is the issue with Woods and Blackmon last year, those guys just havent shown the propensity to be a big play threat down field and are even more limited at the next level.

I think Hunter and Allen will be taken ahead of Woods, but Woods should be a viable mid round pick. Not sure if he is right for the Vikings, I would prefer a more lanky WR opposite of Simpson and Harvin.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: wrong thread

Joe_is_the_best ^^
[UMN]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With how well everyone is playing, the only true holes I see on the roster are WR, a #3 CB and DT if Kevin Williams isn't resigned.

Hopefully Jasper and the safeties can keep it up so we don't have to worry about those positions
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
With how well everyone is playing, the only true holes I see on the roster are WR, a #3 CB and DT if Kevin Williams isn't resigned.

Hopefully Jasper and the safeties can keep it up so we don't have to worry about those positions

Need a LG too, though Charlie Johnson hasnt been that bad.

This offseason will be more about keeping free agents than going out and adding more. MN has a lot of free agents to take care of.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:

I still think we could stand to add a starting safety. I'm not sold on any of Raymond, Sanford or Blanton as a long-term starter at this point.

Depth is an issue as well, especially on the O-line.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

I still think we could stand to add a starting safety. I'm not sold on any of Raymond, Sanford or Blanton as a long-term starter at this point.

Depth is an issue as well, especially on the O-line.

Agreed, though I dont think Safety is a need, i think there are several players who can fill in and play solid. I do agree, if the Vikes can get an upgrade at Safety, its something they need to do. As I have mentioned, T.J. McDonald is a player I would love to have opposite of Harrison Smith.
AP_ALL_DAY_28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

This offseason will be more about keeping free agents than going out and adding more. MN has a lot of free agents to take care of.

Who are some of the FA's, I have no clue?
NCAA: Trojans
NHL: Kings
[UMN]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB 48 Asiata, Matt
FB 42 Felton, Jerome
WR 81 Simpson, Jerome
WR 19 Aromashodu, Devin
T 71 Loadholt, Phil
T 79 Asper, Mark
G 76 Schwartz, Geoff
C 61 Berger, Joe
DT 93 Williams, Kevin
LB 50 Henderson, Erin
LB 54 Brinkley, Jasper
LB 50 Mitchell, Marvin
LB 59 McKenzie, Tyrone
CB 35 Sherels, Marcus
S 33 Sanford, Jamarca
S 34 Sendejo, Andrew
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP_ALL_DAY_28 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
[UMN] wrote:

Who are some of the FA's, I have no clue?

Here is the thread to discuss free agents in depth.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=499698&start=0

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 28 of 103

Jump to: