Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Ups / Downs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: 5 Ups / Downs Reply with quote

Ups:

1. Timmons - best defensive player, that I hope plays like this every week. Potential to be top 3 ILB in the NFL.

2. Mendy - What a way to come back from an injury, explosiveness!!

3. Brown - converted many 3rd downs with key catches.

4. Heath Miller - is getting way more involved in the game

5. Sushi - Made the crucial kick and perfect on the year

Downs:

1. Colon with 4 holding penalties

2. Can't extend leads when we get them. Poor late redzone offense and defense

3. Refs missed wayy to many calls, replacement refs in disguise?

4. Injuries to Woodley and Polamalu

5. Too many penalties overall and shoot ourselves in the feet.
Eaglehoc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: 5 up/down Reply with quote

UP

1. Suisham-8-8 he has been money right down the middle!
2. Timmons- played a vastly improved game today!
3. Mendenhall- Welcome back.... I do worry how far away you carry the ball on your runs though.
4. Brown- overall great positioning and catches... Wallace seemed a little disinterested today.
5. Roethlisberger- continued the 3rd down efficiency

Down

1. Stupid stupid stupid penalties
2. Colon- not good at pass protection, fair at run blocking
3. Mundy- C'mon coaches/owners find a decent backup somewhere!
4. The refs missed many holding/ pass interference calls... They looked like the replacement refs
5/6. Injuries keep piling up.... And can we not run the ball almost every time on first down. I remember one pass play on first down and it went 12 yds for another first down. Fake the run and throw... something new huh?
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big down that needs to be discussed is the short yardage defense. I can count at least 3 times (from what I saw of the game) where we got beat. That's absolutely unacceptable.
Dook

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should just let Roethlisberger call the plays. I always say this.

Willie Colon's play makes me appreciatte Foster (UDFA salary, rarely penalized) all that much more. The team needs to stop showing undeserved loyalty to veteran players who can't play. When DeCastro comes back I would start Foster at LG.

For all of his supposed great route running Emmanuel Sanders sure can disappear in games. I really expected more from him so far this season. I think I'd rather see Cotchery start than Sanders.

Mendenhall is not near full speed, he got caught from behind by a DE, but even so he's still better than our other RB's because he is more shifty.

Where's Wallace? Next off season the team should offer Wallace the exact same deal they gave to Antonio Brown, take it or leave it.

Starks has earned a whole lot of respect from me, not a Pro Bowl guy at all but solid.

P Butler did better today, he was one of the worst in the NFL in average yardage and still is but hopefully he'll keep improving.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UP

1. Timmons. Played like a man possessed. Guess he quit eatn' dem' Bon Bons, huh Keth.

2. Brown is such a key piece to our WR corps. He's earning his contract, which is nice.

3. Mendy looks like new. Good to have him back.

4. OL/New Offense--NO SACKS. With Philly's DL, that's an accomplishment.

5. Turnovers. Nice to see those again!

DOWN

1. Troy. He's just not reliable anymore. His time has passed, I'm afraid.

2. Harrison. Just one play really, but what was that when he had Vick dead to rights and he pulled up. I get the concern with Vick, but man, that looked ridiculous.

3. Clark/Mundy. Both are sure to get fined again. I appreciate them wanting to lay the wood, but there has to be a way to do it without the helmet-to-helmet stuff.

4. Colon. 'Nuff said.

5. Woodley's injury. Hope it's not too serious.

Overall, winning the turnover battle and still barely winning at home after a bye. I still do not feel good about this team. They look just like their record indicates, a .500 team.

Also, a couple of other "downs". Wallace dropped a couple of catchable balls that I saw. Ben was off a bit on some of his throws as well.

Props to Jamison on the image!!!
Raven's Fan-
mounimonster wrote:
Lol..The only people taking Brown are...Pittsburgh fans....This poll shouldn't be close...
Ghengis Graz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add Wallace to the downs. He seemed uninterested almost. I did not like his effort or results. His catches per targets was awful. He reminded me of Plax when he would cry about penalties seemingly simultaneously while giving up on a ball.
the_lung

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mendenhall should really be #1 through #3, with Timmons being #4 and the defensive performance overall being #5.

I was pretty damn disgusted with the defense after the Raiders game, and even without Polamalu and Woodley for most of the game, the defense stepped up BIG TIME.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

up

1. gifts from eagles in the form of timely fumbles
2. mendy made a difference
3. timmons played decent, lets hope this isn't a fluke.
4. sushi is clutch
5. ben escaping pressure and injuries

down

1. colon pass pro and penalties - he gats paid more than the rest of the OL and causes more problems in pass pro. Get better or get lost. He is OG now, so crowd noise for false start is not to blame, but holding has taken over. Anyone else have a problem with this?

2. complete slop in the first half. This team had the by week to prepare for this home game and it was possibly the sloppiest first halfs I have ever seen from a steelers team and this was with a 1-2 record after a bye week at home ! Coaches - get for real or get lost and take the slop with you. Pure CRAP you clowns. I thought we had replacement players or coaches for a while, CRAP Embarassed

3. D stinks. I don't care about the score, because philly gave a good part of the game away. Philly converted on the 4th downs, and ran the ball decently. Learn how to hit without getting penalties, but that could be coaches fault as well? Woodley and Troy injuries are not good for the D either. Now this unit is even worse.

4. coaching - how can this team look so undisciplined with a 1-2 record after a by week and now playing at home? . I am at the point where I want some changes.

5. Brown drops TD - catch that, remember the contract you signed?

This was one of those wins that was more like a gift and nothing to get positive about.
stillersenat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
This was one of those wins that was more like a gift and nothing to get positive about.

I can see where you are coming, and there's some truth to it. But I'm looking at things in the side of progress. Ben didn't get sacked, IIRC and Haley's offense is sparing him getting hit like he used to. That to me is a huge stride forward. I know some complain about the lack of big plays as compared to last year, but you can't always have both. I'll take Ben not being half way to the IR by week 8 over leading the league in 20+ yrds plays.

The defense was better. I didn't see the impact of the return of Harrison. And Troy didn't last long. I would say Tomlin had a few choice words for the defense after last game and they took their game to a better level today in response.

We're at the quarter point of the season and I don't think this team has found it's stride or found it's comfort level yet. I also don't think this team is quite ready for the rigors of a full season and players need to step up and become a steady force rather than being elite a game here and a game there.

We need consistency on both sides of the ball. And we need to start doing it now.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
grubs10

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
up

3. D stinks. I don't care about the score, because philly gave a good part of the game away. Philly converted on the 4th downs, and ran the ball decently. Learn how to hit without getting penalties, but that could be coaches fault as well? Woodley and Troy injuries are not good for the D either. Now this unit is even worse.
I thought the D played pretty well today. People underestimate how hard Vick makes a short yardage situation because they have so many ways to get that one yard. We held Shady to 50 yards and I think he is one of the best if not the best runners in the game. Both of the personal fouls were pretty iffy in my opinion. And we were playing with a rusty Harrison and without Troy and Wood for most of the game

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at our team, and think we have the highest potential of any team in the league. All team's have at least 1 weakness. But our problem are penalties, expanding leads on next series and stopping on defense when we get leads. We start to lose focus or become too passive or something. Also, we played a little closer with our CB's, but I'd like to see even more press. It just seems like we start to roll on offense, then we get a crucial holding penalty (90% chance it's Colon) and same thing on defense and then we get a personal foul. Easy things to fix, but killing our momentum every game.
snoopydawg44us

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 ups

1. Mendy having him back brings explosiveness to the run game, when theres a hole.
2. Ben he does it alot of times when the play breaks down he makes plays
3. Suisham 8 for 8 on FGs not bad to start the season
4. Timmons you did good today, I just wished you were more consistant.
5. Even with both Woodley and Troy out the D held up and didnt fall apart.

5 + 1 downs

1. Wallace if you want Big Money you have to come to play every week
2. Colon Cough Cough your baddd Son. Pass blockin leave more to be desire.
3. Pentalties on both sides of the ball, and special teams.
4. Mundy can't cover period when Troy went down I was like " Here we go again"
5. Injuries "Can this team stay healthy"? Now its Woodley and Troy
6. This one is on the Ref. The Eagles Secondary were doing alot of holding with our recievers and nothing called.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grubs10 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
up

I thought the D played pretty well today. People underestimate how hard Vick makes a short yardage situation because they have so many ways to get that one yard. We held Shady to 50 yards and I think he is one of the best if not the best runners in the game. Both of the personal fouls were pretty iffy in my opinion. And we were playing with a rusty Harrison and without Troy and Wood for most of the game

I agree , considering what players are now out and how Harrison is going to take a while to get back into form. Having said that, I don't like the D as it is, no excuses. Maybe a bit better than in previous weeks, but this D is not looking anywhere near a top D, just too many weaknesses . At least timmons played well, so people here (myself included) can compliment his game this week . Taylor needs to stop taking the penalties. Clarks penalty was also uncalled for, so to me there is a discipline issue here. It is difficult enough to beat good teams, no point in helping them with penalties, and lots of them.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
grubs10 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
up

I agree , considering what players are now out and how Harrison is going to take a while to get back into form. Having said that, I don't like the D as it is, no excuses. Maybe a bit better than in previous weeks, but this D is not looking anywhere near a top D, just too many weaknesses . At least timmons played well, so people here (myself included) can compliment his game this week . Taylor needs to stop taking the penalties. Clarks penalty was also uncalled for, so to me there is a discipline issue here. It is difficult enough to beat good teams, no point in helping them with penalties, and lots of them.

Steelers dont even really need a top D. Not saying it wouldnt be nice, but at this point, I think Ben and the offense can carry their weight more than they did back in say...2009 (pending our WRs actually CATCH perfectly thrown passes).

We just need a defense that doesnt consistently breakdown in key game situations, which is what they are making a habit of doing.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
grubs10 wrote:
3rivers wrote:
up

Sorry, but what was Clark's penalty for? WR didn't seem like he was defenseless to me. I was confused.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: