Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SNF Bolts-Saints GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
Congrats to a great game, and best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season.

To you too. I'm bitter, but Brees toasted us for sure. Go knock the Broncos and Raiders off later and this probably won't matter to me. Laughing

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbllstr22 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
If Brees were 6'4 instead of 6'-6'1, wouldn't have been a penalty. Mad

My goodness Laughing
Screw Brees for being a shawty Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Love your sig

Well if you think about, it is true. Laughing

Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
101stSaintsFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:
Congrats to a great game, and best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season.

To you too. I'm bitter, but Brees toasted us for sure. Go knock the Broncos and Raiders off later and this probably won't matter to me. Laughing

Only if you pummel the Bucs and kitties. Razz

Major props to a fine American, Uncle Buck.

The CHAMPS are going back to form! WHODAT!
Strawman Theory

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle of toast ended in a ferocious flinging of crumbs only to be swept away by the broom of officiating. There was a 90 yard swing in phantom penalties to end the game.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

101stSaintsFan wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
101stSaintsFan wrote:

Only if you pummel the Bucs and kitties. Razz

Those pesky refs will have to not be so mean. Wink

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
Norv Turner is 48-68-1 in one possession games, 2nd worst record by head coach in nfl history

I loled when they showed that stat. Norv is such a troll Laughing Not sure why he hasn't been fired considering how talented those SD teams were. I'll never understand why they fired Marty.

Probably because Marty was propped up by his coordinators his entire career. The guy is no great football mind (not saying Norv is either, but his is still superior to Marty's). If you follow the pattern to how Marty met his demise in all of his prior coaching stints it would always be started by his top coordinators being poached, him bringing in his failure of a brother and putting him in a position of prominence, and the team promptly doing its best Hoover vacuum cleaner impersonation the following season.

Not defending the Norv hire, and certainly not on the grounds that were given by ownership/mgmt, but canning Marty was absolutely justified.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
Norv Turner is 48-68-1 in one possession games, 2nd worst record by head coach in nfl history

I loled when they showed that stat. Norv is such a troll Laughing Not sure why he hasn't been fired considering how talented those SD teams were. I'll never understand why they fired Marty.

Probably because Marty was propped up by his coordinators his entire career. The guy is no great football mind (not saying Norv is either, but his is still superior to Marty's). If you follow the pattern to how Marty met his demise in all of his prior coaching stints it would always be started by his top coordinators being poached, him bringing in his failure of a brother and putting him in a position of prominence, and the team promptly doing its best Hoover vacuum cleaner impersonation the following season.

Not defending the Norv hire, and certainly not on the grounds that were given by ownership/mgmt, but canning Marty was absolutely justified.

Yeah I suspected there must have been a good reason Marty was fired, I just wasn't really into football back then and never looked into it. I just saw a coach that led his team to 14-2 got fired for not winning a playoff game. I also remember hearing there was a bad relationship between Marty and GM (Owner?), wasn't sure who was to blame for that though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love those regular refs back! Rolling Eyes
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
The LBC wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

Yeah I suspected there must have been a good reason Marty was fired, I just wasn't really into football back then and never looked into it. I just saw a coach that led his team to 14-2 got fired for not winning a playoff game. I also remember hearing there was a bad relationship between Marty and GM (Owner?), wasn't sure who was to blame for that though.

Oh Marty and AJ never got along, both had too huge of egos for that. The problem was that AJ, despite being an egomaniac and a world class jerk, is also pretty keen in terms of insight and seemed very likely to realize that Marty had maxed out what he was capable of doing in San Diego.

Marty was ticked off that he hadn't gotten the massive extension he'd been fishing for, and the team wasn't going to give him one in the same relative era where Tony Dungy assembled a fantastic Tampa team but could never get over the playoff hump (a very similar situation to Marty in SD). It got to the point where Marty was literally letting his ego write checks he couldn't cash. There was nothing he could do to stop Wade Phillips and Cam Cameron from eventually interviewing for HC positions in Dallas and Miami, respectively, but he was urged by our front office not to allow them to do it during out first round playoff bye, instead keeping them in SD to prepare their respective units for a home playoff game. Marty chose differently.

He also did not have to allow other members of the coaching staff like Rob Chudzinski and Greg Manusky interview for promotional hires, as he could have promoted them himself to replace Cam and Wade, or at minimum slapped the Asst. HC designation on one of them to keep them around. Marty chose differently, electing instead to try to hire his brother (who most recently had been the DC for a 3-win Lions team that gave up an average of 28 PPG) despite being told directly by our owner that he would not approve such a hire. Furthermore, Marty allowed members of the coaching staff like Houston Houck and Wayne Nunnely to accept lateral hires when their units were among the best on our team.

It's one of those things where a coach is and should be evaluated by more than just his regular season record. And with that in mind, what exactly did Marty believe was his justification for deserving that extension... other than that he was the great and powerful Marty Schottenheimer? Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marty was also responsible for us not taking Troy P. Was scared of his concussions. Mad

#JDI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59
Page 59 of 59

Jump to: