Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 season stats
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ataal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically, I see three strategies when a sack in imminent:

1. Run away from them. This typically requires a QB that can floor it immediately and outrun their opponent by getting to the sideline(or at least outside the pocket) and either find someone open or throw it away.

2. Side-step, use the angles of approach to your advantage, etc... Tony Romo does this with precision. The best examples of this were during the Cowboys/Giants opener. It doesn't buy you a lot of time, so you need to think quickly.

3. Hold on to the ball until the last second and get rid of it. Yeah, you get mowed down by someone, but it's not a sack.

As much as I like Alex, he's just not a sprinting QB. Every time he runs from someone, it seems like they pin him to the ground before he was even halfway to the sideline.

I would love for Alex to watch some tape on Tony Romo or someone similar. Practice those kinds of moves, etc.. He's certainly smart enough and it doesn't take the greatest athlete in the world to do physically.

I'm not sure I want to see Alex try and toss it at the last possible second. While some QB's seem to do this well, it also leaves you more open to someone coming from behind and stripping the ball. Alex is pretty darn good at protecting the ball. So, if that means a sack compared to a fumble? I'm okay with the sack. We did pretty darn good last year and Alex got sacked.....a LOT. It's always better to not get sacked, but it's not first on my priority list to look at.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Another interesting stat, Aldon Smith has dropped in coverage 17 times in the last two games and has held his own allowing only three yards.

Two trick pony.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex smith is now 1st in qb rating, 6th in yards per attempt and fifthin completion percentage
49ers Finest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straighthate wrote:
Alex smith is now 1st in qb rating, 6th in yards per attempt and fifthin completion percentage

If we just ran the ball on that last drive he would of had a perfect rating today. And that completion percentage would be higher too.

Just saying

new sig... sorry alex
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ers rank 2nd against the pass and 7th against the rush. I expect the rush defense to be top 3 by week 10 but very satisfied with our passing defense. Of course, it wouldn't be possible without the best corner on our team Chris Culliver Wink .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straighthate wrote:

4th most accurate too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon Smith again was solid in coverage and is getting better by the week.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
49ers rank 2nd against the pass and 7th against the rush. I expect the rush defense to be top 3 by week 10 but very satisfied with our passing defense. Of course, it wouldn't be possible without the best corner on our team Chris Culliver Wink .

I'm actually a bit surprised we're #7 against the run. Just took a look at the teams above us.

1. Dolphins
2. Bears
3. Seahawks

We'll be facing all of them, and the Seahawks twice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the Vikings game that skewed the stats but even in this game Brad Smith got a big 35 yard gain on us. If we hadn't allowed that, the Bills would have had less than 50 yards. I'm not too worried, keeping teams under or around the 80 yard mark is very good. What surprised me was being #2 in pass defense. Even though we were good last year in keeping opposing teams QB ratings down, I believe we were still in the middle of the pack in yards.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
I think it was the Vikings game that skewed the stats but even in this game Brad Smith got a big 35 yard gain on us. If we hadn't allowed that, the Bills would have had less than 50 yards. I'm not too worried, keeping teams under or around the 80 yard mark is very good. What surprised me was being #2 in pass defense. Even though we were good last year in keeping opposing teams QB ratings down, I believe we were still in the middle of the pack in yards.

The pass defense is a shocker to me, as well. We were 26th in the league against the pass last year. We gave up a lot of big plays, but also because we were more dominant against the run and forced teams to throw against us more. Still, 26th to 2nd? Shocked

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting stat...

If you haven't heard already, Alex Smith leads the league in Total QBR(can't find regular QBR stats anymore. ESPN stopped doing it? Weird...).

Interesting as that is, I thought the comparison with other QB's in our division was more interesting:

Alex Smith: 81.9
Kevin Kolb: 41.7
Sam Bradford: 37.3
Russell Wilson: 33.9

Alex has a better total QBR than Kevin Kolb and Sam Bradford.....combined. Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

If you haven't heard already, Alex Smith leads the league in Total QBR(can't find regular QBR stats anymore. ESPN stopped doing it? Weird...).

Interesting as that is, I thought the comparison with other QB's in our division was more interesting:

Well yeah whateverz dude... can he do it consistently is all that matterz and stuff. Let's not get excited and expect Alex to be able to do what no QB ever does and play consistently awesome all da time. Till he does, he'll get very little credits fromz me, yo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Ataal wrote:

Well yeah whateverz dude... can he do it consistently is all that matterz and stuff. Let's not get excited and expect Alex to be able to do what no QB ever does and play consistently awesome all da time. Till he does, he'll get very little credits fromz me, yo.

Hmmm. Not sure if serious....

I just find it funny that two years ago, Alex was considered to be the worst QB in the division. Last year, even SoS said at one point that while he would still take Jackson over Smith, "it was close." Coming from him, that's saying a lot. Most people still put Sam Bradford over Alex by a fair amount. Flynn was supposed to drop Alex down to 3rd place, being better than only Kolb/Skelton. Granted, most of that was the beginning half of the season.

Not letting it go to my head, but it's awesome to see stats like these. Steve Young and Alex Smith both played college in my home state, so I'm glad to see Alex succeeding. Two years ago, I was probably his biggest critic. Interestingly, Kap played college in a state I lived in for 15 years. Out of curiosity, do we have any players from Arizona, the state I've now lived in for almost 9 years?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

Here's a link to the "regular" QBR for those interested.
http://www.mortgageloancalculating.com/passer_ratings.html

Alex Smith: 108.7
Kevin Kolb: 89.7
Sam Bradford: 78.6
Russell Wilson: 75.2

Maybe not double but but still impressive numbers for Alex as the others are in the "Alex" territory of yesteryear's Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB Metrics in week 5

Chris Culliver:

Targets 4
Completions 1
Yards 8
YPA 2.0
INTs 1

Carlos Rogers:

Targets 4
Completions 3
Yards 36
YPA 9

Tarell Brown:

Targets 4
Completions 2
Yards 22
YPA 5.5

Chris Culliver through five weeks:

Targets 16
Completions 5
Yards 38
YPA 2.375
PDs 3
INTs 1
Penalties 2

Quote:
Jeff Deeney ‏@PFF_Jeff
Quarterbacks only have a 14.6 QB rating when throwing against #49ers Chris Culliver. 5-16, 38 yards, 1 INT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: