Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stevan Ridley... top 5 RB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Stevan Ridley... top 5 RB? Reply with quote

He's top 5 in every meaningful statistic for a RB so far, all while being part of a committee.

BB HAS LOST IT. WE DONT NEED A RB. DRAFTING A FB IN THE THIRD ROUND?

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Peterson
Arian Foster
Jamaal Charles
Shady McCoy
Ray Rice
Maurice Jones-Drew

Those are my top 6 guys. I don't think it's fair to put Ridley in the same category as them yet because, aside from Foster, none of them play in a passing game that puts the fear of god into defenses. I think Ridley has the skill set to join that group, but first he needs to improve his ball security, and second he needs to assert himself as a guy that can grind it out against defenses that stack the box against him. Unfortunately, only the former of these traits is something he has any real control over. As long as he's taking handoffs from Tom Brady, he's unlikely to get the opportunity to prove he's truly an elite back.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.

Last edited by Tzimisce on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grachuus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, I think it's way to early to call Ridley top five. Much of his success has been against weak fronts. Guys like Steven Jackson got their names running against offenses petrified of THEM, not the QB. So they were running against 8 run stuffers while Ridley is getting some fellows that would rather arm tackle or try to dive at his legs instead of crush him.

While we're on the Ridley topic. What resources have folks been using to get his stats? I know Quarterback stat breakdown places but not so much on runs. Help a guy out!

Mark Twain wrote:
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.

QBvsDefensiveQuality
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Adrian Peterson
Arian Foster
Jamaal Charles
Shady McCoy
Ray Rice
Maurice Jones-Drew

Those are my top 6 guys. I don't think it's fair to put Ridley in the same category as them yet because, aside from Foster, none of them play in a passing game that puts the fear of god into defenses. I think Ridley has the skill set to join that group, but first he needs to improve his ball security, and second he needs to assert himself as a guy that can grind it out against defenses that stack the box against him. Unfortunately, only the former of these traits is something he has any real control over. As long as he's taking handoffs from Tom Brady, he's unlikely to get the opportunity to prove he's truly an elite back.

Yep, I think our running backs benefit greatly from the burden of pass defense Brady puts on other teams. We're running at a lot of nickel formations and the like. Don't mean to discredit Ridley, but I think there's 10 other backs in the league who could do what he's done so far.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridley is going to be really good. But there's no way anyone can justify calling him a top 5 running back at this point.

Deadpulse on the sig
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love me some Ridley - but I'm just wondering how many carries that fumble at the end is gonna cost him for a while. Harsh on the kid - because he has great lateral agility and movement combined with his tough inside running, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bolden and Vereen pick up some of his snaps next week.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
I love me some Ridley - but I'm just wondering how many carries that fumble at the end is gonna cost him for a while. Harsh on the kid - because he has great lateral agility and movement combined with his tough inside running, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Bolden and Vereen pick up some of his snaps next week.

Running backs will fumble every now and then. Charles and McCoy have 3 on the season, Gore has 2, MJD, Lynch, Bush, Peterson, Bradshaw have 1, etc.

When the run is a complimentary part of the offense, you can make ball security an ultimate priority. But when the kid is gaining 100 yards a game on the ground - and winning games for you - then its not worth it to bench him for more than a series.

After all, we just witnessed the value of a clock-killing run game. In past years, that game might have ended differently...

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer him to be limited to no more than 18-20 carries a game from here on out. Not because of the fumbles, but because I want him to stay fresh into December and January. It's great to be able to pound the ball in September and October, but it's those cold weather games that you really need it for. The Pats have 3 of their last 4 at home against some of the league's top run defenses [Houston, San Fran, Miami].

goldfishwars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:

Running backs will fumble every now and then. Charles and McCoy have 3 on the season, Gore has 2, MJD, Lynch, Bush, Peterson, Bradshaw have 1, etc.

When the run is a complimentary part of the offense, you can make ball security an ultimate priority. But when the kid is gaining 100 yards a game on the ground - and winning games for you - then its not worth it to bench him for more than a series.

After all, we just witnessed the value of a clock-killing run game. In past years, that game might have ended differently...

I totally agree - but wouldn't be surprised if BB sees it differently.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After this season if he production keeps up, there will be an argument for it. Not yet though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
After this season if he production keeps up, there will be an argument for it. Not yet though.
There won't be an argument because even if he tops 2000 yards, he'll still be considered to have played 2nd fiddle in the offense to Brady.

TomRalph

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see more Vereen.

I mean, he has been injured (not as much this season), but he's been in for a few plays, scored a couple of TD's, caught a couple of passes, he was a 2nd Round pick, surely he's got to be trusted with some more carries soon. At least instead of Woodhead...

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola
Catches: 4
tonyto3690

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Adrian Peterson
Arian Foster
Jamaal Charles
Shady McCoy
Ray Rice
Maurice Jones-Drew

I think it's absolutely fair putting those guys over Ridley, in large part because of what you stated- defenses play to stop Brady, not to stop Ridley.

That being said, Ridley has been getting snaps taken away from him by three other running backs- none of the previously listed guys have nearly as much competition as Ridley does. Even with this, he is statistically there with everyone else, if not better.

This is kind of like the crappy argument last year that the Patriots hadn't beaten a team over .500 and have an easy schedule. Well you can only do what you're able to control. Ridley isn't at fault that he plays more nickel defenses than other teams. It's not like he's a mediocre back who had a bump in production. He's a very talented back who has top 3 numbers.

Drew Brees IS the most accurate qb ever

Brees that night:
28/50, 341 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:
There won't be an argument because even if he tops 2000 yards, he'll still be considered to have played 2nd fiddle in the offense to Brady.

Of course, but I don't understand how that translates to him not being able to be considered a top 5 RB.

I think there's been seasons in the past where you have a QB/RB combo both considered top 5 at their positions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
Canadian_Patriot wrote:

Of course, but I don't understand how that translates to him not being able to be considered a top 5 RB.

I think there's been seasons in the past where you have a QB/RB combo both considered top 5 at their positions.
Yes, when the RBs were integral to the passing game.
Marshall Faulk with Kurt Warner
Edgerrin James with Peyton Manning
Thurman Thomas with Jim Kelly
Emmitt Smith with Troy Aikman

But those were all guys who caught 40-50-60 balls a year. Ridley could become that guy in the future, but he's not there yet. The team regularly takes him out for Woodhead on 3rd and long.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: