Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Spielman doing work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[UMN]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the last two drafts (after Childress was fired when Spielman was clearly in charge), Spielman has made 20 picks, with 8 being current starters, and 10 others on the roster.

The only players not on the roster are 6th round LB Ross Homan and 7th round DE Trevor Guyton, That is a 90% hit rate. 85% if you take out Greg Childs.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[UMN] wrote:
If you look at the last two drafts (after Childress was fired when Spielman was clearly in charge), Spielman has made 20 picks, with 8 being current starters, and 10 others on the roster.

The only players not on the roster are 6th round LB Ross Homan and 7th round DE Trevor Guyton, That is a 90% hit rate. 85% if you take out Greg Childs.

Are you counting Josh Robinson as a starter? I would.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's early, but after the flack and criticism that Spielman took about his draft and overall offseason, and with what we've seen from this rookie class so far, Spielman deserves a big round of applause.

Matt Kalil has been everything we wanted and needed from a LT, and he's arguably the best left tackle in the NFC.

Harrison Smith has been everything his fans said he would be, and he's gone out their and turned around his doubters.

Josh Robinson has been way ahead of where, even the most optimistic, people had him this early in the season. He's given this team 3 legit cornerbacks in the secondary and has allowed Winfield to play closer to the line and being a bigger factor in the run defense.

Rhett Ellison showed up this week and showed off his ability as a receiver, and that he's not just a blocking TE. But all season, Ellison has been a big part of the outstanding special teams unit, both in coverage and blocking.

Robert Blanton had a tough training camp, but he's come into the season and been a strong part of the special teams unit, downing a punt inside the 5 against Detroit, and providing a key block on the touchdown return by Marcus Sherels. And then against the Titans after Smith was ejected, Blanton stepped up beautifully, and while he didn't make any splash plays, he held his own and didn't give up anything.

Blair Walsh. What can be said other than 12/13 on field goals, 3/3 on 50+ yard field goals, 12/12 on extra points, and 17 touchbacks on 25 kickoffs.

The only draft pick that hasn't lived up to anything is Jarius Wright, who it's unknown how much the ankle injury is still effecting him.

The other three draft picks; Greg Childs was obviously lost for the season. Audie Cole had a great preseason but hasn't been active during this season, but the way he played in preseason leaves a lot of optimism about his abilities in the future. Trevor Guyton was the only pick that didn't make the team, due the the great depth the Vikings have along the defensive line.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
I know it's early, but after the flack and criticism that Spielman took about his draft and overall offseason, and with what we've seen from this rookie class so far, Spielman deserves a big round of applause.

something else needs to be mentioned about Spielman's personnel decision making, aside from the drafted players' skills sets - we're not having arrests and character problems and distractions.

these guys are focused, one game at a time.

they are young so they are growing up in the pros together, building a team together that they call their own. there's strong solidarity, there's a strong sense of i got your back with these guys.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:

something else needs to be mentioned about Spielman's personnel decision making, aside from the drafted players' skills sets - we're not having arrests and character problems and distractions.

they are young so they are growing up in the pros together, building a team together that they call their own. there's strong solidarity, there's a strong sense of i got your back with these guys.

And quite a few USC Trojans, which makes this Viking fan very happy.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
Audie Cole had a great preseason but hasn't been active during this season, but the way he played in preseason leaves a lot of optimism about his abilities in the future.

My eyes may be deceiving me but I'm almost positive I've seen Cole on special teams in a few games this year.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw Cole in the TENN game on special teams. #57, right?

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like they way our drafts have been going. Getting guys like Brandon Fusco and Blair Walsh late in the draft and have them start early in their careers and be solid-good is really exciting to see. We also have a few strong rotational guys in there.

I like the drafting. I'd still like to see us do better in Free Agency. When your job is to build a championship caliber team, you must explore every avenue to do so, and you have to be good at it.

This year, our only impact FA signing has been Jerome Felton. Simpson did nice in week 4 but hardly played week 5, Carlson has added nothing to the team so far, Hilliard, Bowman and Chris Carr have all been cut and Geoff Schwartz looks like a solid backup swing OL (not bad at all. I like his versatility).

It'd just be really nice if we could sign a few more impact FA's. Next year I'd like us to make a play at LG, DT, MLB and probably CB. Just one guy would really help, but def. make a play at 1 of those 4 positions.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our draft is definitely promising so far. Glad that Spielman made the right pick and went with Kalil, even though he fooled even the pundits into thinking he was going to pick Claiborne or even Blackmon.

In fact, I don't think that's talked about enough. If Kalil was his guy the whole time, Spielman duped the fans, the pundits (even Schefter had no idea what we were going to do and I remember some "experts" thinking we'd pick Claiborne), and at least the Cleveland Browns organization for months. We got some guys that can contribute from those picks just from trading back one selection.

Half of me wants to see the Great Spielman Caper Pt. II this offseason, but the other part was annoyed at not knowing what we were going to do Laughing
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
Our draft is definitely promising so far. Glad that Spielman made the right pick and went with Kalil, even though he fooled even the pundits into thinking he was going to pick Claiborne or even Blackmon.

In fact, I don't think that's talked about enough. If Kalil was his guy the whole time, Spielman duped the fans, the pundits (even Schefter had no idea what we were going to do and I remember some "experts" thinking we'd pick Claiborne), and at least the Cleveland Browns organization for months. We got some guys that can contribute from those picks just from trading back one selection.

Half of me wants to see the Great Spielman Caper Pt. II this offseason, but the other part was annoyed at not knowing what we were going to do Laughing

Spielman fooled me, I wanted Kalil but i was convinced on draft day that Claiborne would be the pick. Though I liked Claiborne a lot as a prospect and he has looked good this year, so I wouldnt have minded (Robinson has looked good too, so we got our CB anyway).
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Spielman fooled the Browns.
Browns traded into #3 because if they didnt, TB would have traded into #3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
I like the drafting. I'd still like to see us do better in Free Agency. When your job is to build a championship caliber team, you must explore every avenue to do so, and you have to be good at it.

This year, our only impact FA signing has been Jerome Felton. Simpson did nice in week 4 but hardly played week 5, Carlson has added nothing to the team so far, Hilliard, Bowman and Chris Carr have all been cut and Geoff Schwartz looks like a solid backup swing OL (not bad at all. I like his versatility).

It'd just be really nice if we could sign a few more impact FA's. Next year I'd like us to make a play at LG, DT, MLB and probably CB. Just one guy would really help, but def. make a play at 1 of those 4 positions.

Don't forget about Marvin Mitchell.
GoneWithTheWind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:

This is certainly understated. In the past I've always been an advocate of taking the talent despite the charecter concerns if the value is right but I certainly can't argue with this approach Spielman has taken because it's working right now. It's really nice seeing all these team guys and former captains really build a well-knit team.

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

"Welcome to the end of your life and I promise it's gonna hurt"

"Fresh out of the Factory with no warrenty and already broken what a pity"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: