Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

W5 GDT: Atlanta Falcons (4-0) vs. Washington Redskins (2-2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
falcfan4life


Joined: 06 Nov 2008
Posts: 233
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:
adam9 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
^ You can never predict injuries. The longer he plays, the greater the chance of an injury halting his career. Same reason Cal Ripken retired on his own terms.

His injury record is impeccable. He knows how to play hard without getting put in risky situations.
Gonzo is an animal. He is probably one of the most well conditioned athletes in the game. I see no reason why he should pack it up. If you still love the game play it. He is still playing at a high level.

Keep bringing him back on 1 year deals. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt holds Gonzo hostage every year. Gonzo almost makes Ryan's job too easy some times.

He has top 3 stats for a TE in the NFL right now IIRC. Not sure why he thinks he needs to retire. I would love to wait one more year to get his replacement and use this year's first on a RB, LB, DT or whatever.. I used to think RB but after seeing Dent not playing well we could get a LB. If Te'o starts to fall we could trade up. After seeing how we can get immediate game changers like Julio by giving up a few later picks (this time not moving up 21 spots maybe 10 or so, don't want to give up 2 firsts) that aren't sure things for a guy like Julio sounds pretty damn good to me. If not that we could get one of the top 3 RBs with a late first rounder. I could see Giovani Bernard or Joseph Randle being options we would consider.


I said this in another topic everyone disagreed, including you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 13212
Location: Cartersville, GA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcfan4life wrote:
adam9 wrote:
Jgoldiscool wrote:
adam9 wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
^ You can never predict injuries. The longer he plays, the greater the chance of an injury halting his career. Same reason Cal Ripken retired on his own terms.

His injury record is impeccable. He knows how to play hard without getting put in risky situations.
Gonzo is an animal. He is probably one of the most well conditioned athletes in the game. I see no reason why he should pack it up. If you still love the game play it. He is still playing at a high level.

Keep bringing him back on 1 year deals. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt holds Gonzo hostage every year. Gonzo almost makes Ryan's job too easy some times.

He has top 3 stats for a TE in the NFL right now IIRC. Not sure why he thinks he needs to retire. I would love to wait one more year to get his replacement and use this year's first on a RB, LB, DT or whatever.. I used to think RB but after seeing Dent not playing well we could get a LB. If Te'o starts to fall we could trade up. After seeing how we can get immediate game changers like Julio by giving up a few later picks (this time not moving up 21 spots maybe 10 or so, don't want to give up 2 firsts) that aren't sure things for a guy like Julio sounds pretty damn good to me. If not that we could get one of the top 3 RBs with a late first rounder. I could see Giovani Bernard or Joseph Randle being options we would consider.


I said this in another topic everyone disagreed, including you.

Yes. Now I've seen the horrors of Akeem Dent starting at MLB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swoosh


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 8531
Location: U of O
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if MLB is even that big of a priority, not because of who we have on the team but rather Nolan's base package. In today's game, your third corner is a starter because he's on the field so much. I'd rather beef up the DL and add a CB if Grimes does not come back before drafting a MLB. I love the 4-2-5 defense, especially if you have Robinson playing the nickel and Moore at SS. Robinson has the mentality of a safety and both our safeities are good in run support. Spoon often sheds blockers and makes a play in the backfield, disproving the assumption that many "draft gurus" held before the draft. Usually when you're running a 4-2-5, you're worried about run defense but the way this team is set up I am not. I think it's the perfect base defense for this team.

Edwards/Biermann
Peters
Babs
Abe

Spoon
Nicholas

Grimes or another CB
DeCoud
Moore
Samuel
Robinson (NCB)

Like I said, bring back Grimes or go out and get another CB who can play on the outside and continue to beef up that DL (maybe add one DE and one DT) and we'd be set. Also, add some LB depth.

Just my 0.02.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 13212
Location: Cartersville, GA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
I'm not sure if MLB is even that big of a priority, not because of who we have on the team but rather Nolan's base package. In today's game, your third corner is a starter because he's on the field so much. I'd rather beef up the DL and add a CB if Grimes does not come back before drafting a MLB. I love the 4-2-5 defense, especially if you have Robinson playing the nickel and Moore at SS. Robinson has the mentality of a safety and both our safeities are good in run support. Spoon often sheds blockers and makes a play in the backfield, disproving the assumption that many "draft gurus" held before the draft. Usually when you're running a 4-2-5, you're worried about run defense but the way this team is set up I am not. I think it's the perfect base defense for this team.

Edwards/Biermann
Peters
Babs
Abe

Spoon
Nicholas

Grimes or another CB
DeCoud
Moore
Samuel
Robinson (NCB)

Like I said, bring back Grimes or go out and get another CB who can play on the outside and continue to beef up that DL (maybe add one DE and one DT) and we'd be set. Also, add some LB depth.

Just my 0.02.

I think it has to do a lot of us getting our best 11 on the field. I see your point but if we had a star type MLB I think he would be on the field more. I see what your saying though and you can see the results in our pass defense compared to last season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSUeagles14


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 5584
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
I'm not sure if MLB is even that big of a priority, not because of who we have on the team but rather Nolan's base package. In today's game, your third corner is a starter because he's on the field so much. I'd rather beef up the DL and add a CB if Grimes does not come back before drafting a MLB. I love the 4-2-5 defense, especially if you have Robinson playing the nickel and Moore at SS. Robinson has the mentality of a safety and both our safeities are good in run support. Spoon often sheds blockers and makes a play in the backfield, disproving the assumption that many "draft gurus" held before the draft. Usually when you're running a 4-2-5, you're worried about run defense but the way this team is set up I am not. I think it's the perfect base defense for this team.

Edwards/Biermann
Peters
Babs
Abe

Spoon
Nicholas

Grimes or another CB
DeCoud
Moore
Samuel
Robinson (NCB)

Like I said, bring back Grimes or go out and get another CB who can play on the outside and continue to beef up that DL (maybe add one DE and one DT) and we'd be set. Also, add some LB depth.

Just my 0.02.

I think it has to do a lot of us getting our best 11 on the field. I see your point but if we had a star type MLB I think he would be on the field more. I see what your saying though and you can see the results in our pass defense compared to last season.


Except Nolan has said from the beginning he wants three starting caliber corners. So unless we're taking off a a tackle, where would he play. Also can anyone elaborate on how Sent has been bad?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt2roddy


Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 942
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
I'm not sure if MLB is even that big of a priority, not because of who we have on the team but rather Nolan's base package. In today's game, your third corner is a starter because he's on the field so much. I'd rather beef up the DL and add a CB if Grimes does not come back before drafting a MLB. I love the 4-2-5 defense, especially if you have Robinson playing the nickel and Moore at SS. Robinson has the mentality of a safety and both our safeities are good in run support. Spoon often sheds blockers and makes a play in the backfield, disproving the assumption that many "draft gurus" held before the draft. Usually when you're running a 4-2-5, you're worried about run defense but the way this team is set up I am not. I think it's the perfect base defense for this team.

Edwards/Biermann
Peters
Babs
Abe

Spoon
Nicholas

Grimes or another CB
DeCoud
Moore
Samuel
Robinson (NCB)

Like I said, bring back Grimes or go out and get another CB who can play on the outside and continue to beef up that DL (maybe add one DE and one DT) and we'd be set. Also, add some LB depth.

Just my 0.02.

I think it has to do a lot of us getting our best 11 on the field. I see your point but if we had a star type MLB I think he would be on the field more. I see what your saying though and you can see the results in our pass defense compared to last season.


Except Nolan has said from the beginning he wants three starting caliber corners. So unless we're taking off a a tackle, where would he play. Also can anyone elaborate on how Sent has been bad?

He has both missed tackles and failed to get off of blocks. However, I am in favor of giving him one more year after this before I call him a bust
_________________


My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSUeagles14


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 5584
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt2roddy wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
I'm not sure if MLB is even that big of a priority, not because of who we have on the team but rather Nolan's base package. In today's game, your third corner is a starter because he's on the field so much. I'd rather beef up the DL and add a CB if Grimes does not come back before drafting a MLB. I love the 4-2-5 defense, especially if you have Robinson playing the nickel and Moore at SS. Robinson has the mentality of a safety and both our safeities are good in run support. Spoon often sheds blockers and makes a play in the backfield, disproving the assumption that many "draft gurus" held before the draft. Usually when you're running a 4-2-5, you're worried about run defense but the way this team is set up I am not. I think it's the perfect base defense for this team.

Edwards/Biermann
Peters
Babs
Abe

Spoon
Nicholas

Grimes or another CB
DeCoud
Moore
Samuel
Robinson (NCB)

Like I said, bring back Grimes or go out and get another CB who can play on the outside and continue to beef up that DL (maybe add one DE and one DT) and we'd be set. Also, add some LB depth.

Just my 0.02.

I think it has to do a lot of us getting our best 11 on the field. I see your point but if we had a star type MLB I think he would be on the field more. I see what your saying though and you can see the results in our pass defense compared to last season.


Except Nolan has said from the beginning he wants three starting caliber corners. So unless we're taking off a a tackle, where would he play. Also can anyone elaborate on how Sent has been bad?

He has both missed tackles and failed to get off of blocks. However, I am in favor of giving him one more year after this before I call him a bust


I disagree, what makes you right and me wrong?

He hasn't been a world beater but he certainly hasn't been bad either
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt2roddy


Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Posts: 942
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
matt2roddy wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
I'm not sure if MLB is even that big of a priority, not because of who we have on the team but rather Nolan's base package. In today's game, your third corner is a starter because he's on the field so much. I'd rather beef up the DL and add a CB if Grimes does not come back before drafting a MLB. I love the 4-2-5 defense, especially if you have Robinson playing the nickel and Moore at SS. Robinson has the mentality of a safety and both our safeities are good in run support. Spoon often sheds blockers and makes a play in the backfield, disproving the assumption that many "draft gurus" held before the draft. Usually when you're running a 4-2-5, you're worried about run defense but the way this team is set up I am not. I think it's the perfect base defense for this team.

Edwards/Biermann
Peters
Babs
Abe

Spoon
Nicholas

Grimes or another CB
DeCoud
Moore
Samuel
Robinson (NCB)

Like I said, bring back Grimes or go out and get another CB who can play on the outside and continue to beef up that DL (maybe add one DE and one DT) and we'd be set. Also, add some LB depth.

Just my 0.02.

I think it has to do a lot of us getting our best 11 on the field. I see your point but if we had a star type MLB I think he would be on the field more. I see what your saying though and you can see the results in our pass defense compared to last season.


Except Nolan has said from the beginning he wants three starting caliber corners. So unless we're taking off a a tackle, where would he play. Also can anyone elaborate on how Sent has been bad?

He has both missed tackles and failed to get off of blocks. However, I am in favor of giving him one more year after this before I call him a bust


I disagree, what makes you right and me wrong?

He hasn't been a world beater but he certainly hasn't been bad either

Wait, I'm confused. All I said was that he missed tackles and failed to get off of blocks against the Redskins. If you disagree, then I am factually right and you are factually wrong. He had a decent game against Carolina, but certainly did not play well against the run in Washington. But I do expect him to improve and be a solid MLB for us by the end of the year. Part of his bad game against the Skins might be due to the fact that RG3 is so tough to defend/prepare for.
_________________


My 2011 Adopt-A-Falcon: 1st Team All Rookie Linebacker Akeem Dent!!!
2012 Adopt-A-Falcon: CB Asante Samuel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hotlanta12


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 5170
Location: Right behind you.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh wrote:
I believe Gonzo wants to retire to spend more time with family. You can't blame him--he has a smokin' hot wife. A football probably isn't the only thing he can slam between the goal posts with authority.

I am quoting this. Quote of the year.
_________________

Clowney, Mack, Robinson, Matthews, or Barr to Atlanta in 2014!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tech2186


Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 4339
Location: Dawg House
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
I'm not sure if MLB is even that big of a priority, not because of who we have on the team but rather Nolan's base package. In today's game, your third corner is a starter because he's on the field so much. I'd rather beef up the DL and add a CB if Grimes does not come back before drafting a MLB. I love the 4-2-5 defense, especially if you have Robinson playing the nickel and Moore at SS. Robinson has the mentality of a safety and both our safeities are good in run support. Spoon often sheds blockers and makes a play in the backfield, disproving the assumption that many "draft gurus" held before the draft. Usually when you're running a 4-2-5, you're worried about run defense but the way this team is set up I am not. I think it's the perfect base defense for this team.

Edwards/Biermann
Peters
Babs
Abe

Spoon
Nicholas

Grimes or another CB
DeCoud
Moore
Samuel
Robinson (NCB)

Like I said, bring back Grimes or go out and get another CB who can play on the outside and continue to beef up that DL (maybe add one DE and one DT) and we'd be set. Also, add some LB depth.

Just my 0.02.

I think it has to do a lot of us getting our best 11 on the field. I see your point but if we had a star type MLB I think he would be on the field more. I see what your saying though and you can see the results in our pass defense compared to last season.


Except Nolan has said from the beginning he wants three starting caliber corners. So unless we're taking off a a tackle, where would he play. Also can anyone elaborate on how Sent has been bad?


I haven't watched a replay of the game but while watching it live Dent was continously taking bad angles and could not get off blocks consistently. And when he was in the position to make tackles he was missing. It looked really bad. As the over 100 rushing performance by Morris indicates. Maybe it was a bad game for him. But I haven't seen a lot of him this season so its hard to evaluate his overall season perfomance so far.
_________________


ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swoosh


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 8531
Location: U of O
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotlanta12 wrote:
swoosh wrote:
I believe Gonzo wants to retire to spend more time with family. You can't blame him--he has a smokin' hot wife. A football probably isn't the only thing he can slam between the goal posts with authority.

I am quoting this. Quote of the year.

Lol. Razz
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maggot


Joined: 18 Aug 2008
Posts: 720
Location: Sunny Coast
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swoosh that line had me in tears very funny man i had to even show a mate of mine he thought it was hilarious too
_________________

Jgoldiscool is da man ^^^
2012 Adopt a Falcon: Matt Ryan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 13212
Location: Cartersville, GA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've missed a lot of conversation here but ill say what I think. If we did have a top 7 or so quality MLB we would start 3 LBs and rotate in 3 CBs a lot by rotating out a different positions from a DL to a LB. We all know that Nolan throws a lot of different looks out there so what makes you think we wouldn't do this? Not saying it will happen but I could see us doing it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GSUeagles14


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 5584
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
I've missed a lot of conversation here but ill say what I think. If we did have a top 7 or so quality MLB we would start 3 LBs and rotate in 3 CBs a lot by rotating out a different positions from a DL to a LB. We all know that Nolan throws a lot of different looks out there so what makes you think we wouldn't do this? Not saying it will happen but I could see us doing it.


Thing is, why not try to upgrade end or tackle? An player at either of those positions make more of an impact than an elite MLB.

And I'm I've gone and watched the game again and dent was not bad at all. Not good but not bad. He had trouble getting off blocks a couple times but he seemed pretty solid overall. Can anyone point to specific instances outside of a pay or two?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 13212
Location: Cartersville, GA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
I've missed a lot of conversation here but ill say what I think. If we did have a top 7 or so quality MLB we would start 3 LBs and rotate in 3 CBs a lot by rotating out a different positions from a DL to a LB. We all know that Nolan throws a lot of different looks out there so what makes you think we wouldn't do this? Not saying it will happen but I could see us doing it.


Thing is, why not try to upgrade end or tackle? An player at either of those positions make more of an impact than an elite MLB.

And I'm I've gone and watched the game again and dent was not bad at all. Not good but not bad. He had trouble getting off blocks a couple times but he seemed pretty solid overall. Can anyone point to specific instances outside of a pay or two?

I thought the same way a week or two ago as someone mentioned. I think really we have a good starting lineup. Our 4 main holes (IMO as not everyone will feel this way) are TE, RB, MLB, and DE. We could also use some better depth at a few positions. Here's why a say a LB might be a good option. I have a feeling Grimey could be out. If so we need another starting caliber CB or a MLB that can play at least 2 downs effectively and a decent NB. Also we could just go the decent CB route in round 2 or FA and pick up one if the other positions in round 1.

My original post about trading up for Te'o could be changed into Lattimore, or if Mingo falls or something. I like the idea of reading up as long as we keep next years first.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group