Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kubiak on Andre Johnson

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco79

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Kubiak on Andre Johnson Reply with quote

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Kubiak-press-conference/2e383755-f2ae-4b72-b3ae-9067596e96d0
Quote:
“We had some opportunities early to make some plays and some things we were trying to do with him; it’s just the ball didn’t end up going there. I’ve got to do a better job of getting him involved. He’s doing a great job, he’s working hard. We moved the heck out of the ball last night. Other guys are making plays because of Andre, I can tell you that, because they’re paying so much attention to him, but still need to get him more involved with what we’re doing, so that’s my responsibility.”

Last edited by Marco79 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
DreDay80

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre needs to play better as well. His hands are become Brandon Marshall-esque.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreDay80 wrote:
Andre needs to play better as well. His hands are become Brandon Marshall-esque.

Watching Andre a lot over the years past, I can tell you 100% without a doubt that Andre has always been very inconsistent with basic catches. This isn't a new problem.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:

Watching Andre a lot over the years past, I can tell you 100% without a doubt that Andre has always been very inconsistent with basic catches. This isn't a new problem.

Thing is, it looked as if he was getting over it recently; I think over the past three years, he was one of the best WRs in the NFL in terms of drop rate. (I'll have to dig up the stat, but I know I read it somewhere - only Larry Fitzgerald had dropped less passes, in terms of drop rate %).

Now it just looks like he's reverting to who he was back in the David Carr days, just not seeing the ball into his hands. That Denver drop, where the ball hit him in the face and he had to work to keep it from being an INT? That's not AJ, I don't know what the heck that was. That looked like a Jacoby play.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:

Thing is, it looked as if he was getting over it recently; I think over the past three years, he was one of the best WRs in the NFL in terms of drop rate. (I'll have to dig up the stat, but I know I read it somewhere - only Larry Fitzgerald had dropped less passes, in terms of drop rate %).

Now it just looks like he's reverting to who he was back in the David Carr days, just not seeing the ball into his hands. That Denver drop, where the ball hit him in the face and he had to work to keep it from being an INT? That's not AJ, I don't know what the heck that was. That looked like a Jacoby play.

Lets be real: Jacoby would have crossed his arms in front of his facemask causing him to be unable to see and it would bounce off the top of his head or something.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:

Lets be real: Jacoby would have crossed his arms in front of his facemask causing him to be unable to see and it would bounce off the top of his head or something.

...then he'd bat the ball right into Champ Bailey's hands. Then fall down, ala Fred Bennett. Then the following week, he'd sign with Denver. Very Happy

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubiak on Andre Johnson Reply with quote

Marco79 wrote:
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Kubiak-press-conference/2e383755-f2ae-4b72-b3ae-9067596e96d0
Quote:
“We had some opportunities early to make some plays and some things we were trying to do with him; it’s just the ball didn’t end up going there. I’ve got to do a better job of getting him involved. He’s doing a great job, he’s working hard. We moved the heck out of the ball last night. Other guys are making plays because of Andre, I can tell you that, because they’re paying so much attention to him, but still need to get him more involved with what we’re doing, so that’s my responsibility.”

Coachspeak. AJ is a veteran leader who is at the top of our payroll. He needs to keep his head in the damn game whether he is thrown to 2 times or 20 times. Sorry AJ, we have an running back and o-line that are in the top 3 in the NFL and you looked like a rookie out there 2 of the times we fed the ball to you. This team was stuck in mediocrity for years because Kubiak let players like Mario Williams get away with their disappearing acts and allowed a system where star players are coddled and excuses made for subpar performances week after week. This is the team of Antonio Smith and JJ Watt where you don't take plays off and you do everything humanly possible to make a play even when you are beat.

While we are it it - Arian needs to be able to put a game away with a first down in the waning minutes instead of 3 carries for -5 yards. We lost an almost identical game in 2010 when Arian ran into the pile 3 times and we left the Jets just enough time to win. Punting in that situation given the state of our special teams was an inexcusable risk. Poor coaching and poor execution.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubiak on Andre Johnson Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
While we are it it - Arian needs to be able to put a game away with a first down in the waning minutes instead of 3 carries for -5 yards. We lost an almost identical game in 2010 when Arian ran into the pile 3 times and we left the Jets just enough time to win. Punting in that situation given the state of our special teams was an inexcusable risk. Poor coaching and poor execution.

I am adamant in my belief that this has nothing to do with Foster, and is a tradeoff for running the ZBS system. For the longest, we look for smaller, lighter OL who are quick to the 2nd level and beyond. To be that size and rely on your agility has to come with some sort of detraction - and I am starting to believe that said detraction is the inability to get into a three point stance and drive the DL and recreate the LOS for a RB to get that 2-3 yards needed for a 1st down (or a TD in the RZ on down/goal situations).

We can run Arian Foster a million times behind that setup, but when you have 290+ OL trying to drive 350+ DL backwards, it simply isn't going to work as well as you would need it to.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its crazy how small Wade Smith looks now that Duane Brown has gained all that weight.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubiak on Andre Johnson Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:

I am adamant in my belief that this has nothing to do with Foster, and is a tradeoff for running the ZBS system. For the longest, we look for smaller, lighter OL who are quick to the 2nd level and beyond. To be that size and rely on your agility has to come with some sort of detraction - and I am starting to believe that said detraction is the inability to get into a three point stance and drive the DL and recreate the LOS for a RB to get that 2-3 yards needed for a 1st down (or a TD in the RZ on down/goal situations).

We can run Arian Foster a million times behind that setup, but when you have 290+ OL trying to drive 350+ DL backwards, it simply isn't going to work as well as you would need it to.

This has been an issue with the ZBS since the dawn of the system (and a reason Alex Gibbs never won squat in the "every inch matters" playoffs without Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharpe). Definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. We missed the playoffs in 2009 because Kubiak thought it was a good idea to run into a 2,000 LB brick wall in Arizona 3 times (and Dreessen dropping the one good call). If you don't have the personnel to execute in that situation, call a different play or change the personnel. We do have 350 lb Brandon Brooks sitting around collecting dust and a 260 FB in Tyler Clutts that is active every week yet I still haven't seen him. I'm not asking for a Glanville or Gilbride-esque sideline pass in that situation, but why the hell not stick to what won you the game instead of this victory formation crap when giving the ball back or punting puts that victory at greater risk than your franchise running back who is supposed to be smart enough to wrap up the ball with the game on the line but also could go around the edge to salt the game away. If you are just going to run into the pile, just let Schaub take a knee and don't risk a botched exchange or fatties piling on your franchise back (and actually lose fewer yards in the process).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: