Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

When is it okay to talk down to people?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24282
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

XoX......


Why must you make such





large posts





where you put so much space between everything




you say




even for one liners




Why can't you just write like





everyone else???








just wondering!
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Matts4313


Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 36911
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of 12
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only read the thread title, but I felt I had the most correct answer (sorry if its already been said):


When they are midgets.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ServantofYHWH


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 13659
Location: Clutch City
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should never talk down to anyone. As for respect. You have to show respect to get it. If we all started off not respecting each other and waited for people to come earn it, the world turns into a dumpster fire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
DetroitSpirit


Joined: 25 Feb 2012
Posts: 3265
Location: Michigan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
DetroitSpirit wrote:
It's ironic because most young people don't respect teachers.

I have never really seen any of that in any classes that I have been. It's quite the opposite in my school.


It's more incredible that you can speak for your entire school. When I was in school it was very noticeable, AP classes/honor classes, didn't make a difference. Same mentality, different names and faces.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21498
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think talking down to someone just because they are younger, older, whatever is smart. You shouldn't talk down to people because of that. If someone is being completely ignorant towards you about something, then maybe it's warranted.

Example: if I went in to a partner's office at my job and started telling them how to do their job and going on about things I know nothing about...I find those to be times where one can talk down to another person, because people like that probably do need to be put in their place.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15378
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to realize a few things in this thread.


1. Most did not understand the OP. Like some have mentioned, it is sometimes perceived as appropriate to put someone in their place when they are consistently spouting ignorant rhetoric. If the 20 year old in the OP was 40, his ignorant comments would have still be ridiculed. The fact he was younger allowed us to point out more issues with his comments. It's actually more embarrassing for an adult to make the comments he made.


2. Most people on this forum are of the younger age group, I believe it's 80% 25 and under (50% 20 and under) and became very defensive when I mentioned younger age groups. Understand guys that I'm not talking down to you if you're at that age, I just don't have the respect for you as my peers who have accomplished quite a lot in their lives so far. I see potential in some of you and that's what I love about teaching. However life experience cannot be understated. It hits you like a train.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 19101
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
I've come to realize a few things in this thread.


1. Most did not understand the OP. Like some have mentioned, it is sometimes perceived as appropriate to put someone in their place when they are consistently spouting ignorant rhetoric. If the 20 year old in the OP was 40, his ignorant comments would have still be ridiculed. The fact he was younger allowed us to point out more issues with his comments. It's actually more embarrassing for an adult to make the comments he made.
No, we all understand it. It's just comments like:
Quote:
2. Most people on this forum are of the younger age group, I believe it's 80% 25 and under (50% 20 and under) and became very defensive when I mentioned younger age groups. Understand guys that I'm not talking down to you if you're at that age, I just don't have the respect for you as my peers who have accomplished quite a lot in their lives so far. I see potential in some of you and that's what I love about teaching. However life experience cannot be understated. It hits you like a train.
That make people respond the way they do. That and the "I don't respect young people because what have they ever done?" attitude.

Nobody has said life experience isn't relevant. Nobody has said it's worthless. Most people are simply arguing that life experience is not the be-all, end-all that you're making it out to be.

You're presumptuous. You're assuming that a younger person doesn't have anything of value to add, simply because that person is younger. That's pretty direct arrogance, patronization, and dismissiveness that rubs just about everybody the wrong way. Your attitude is essentially, "Prove to me that you're worth listening to." It's beyond insulting. You have clearly realized little throughout this thread.

But go ahead and disregard my opinion. After all, I am like a year younger than you.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?


Last edited by fretgod99 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15378
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
That and the "I don't respect young people because what have they ever done?" attitude. You're presumptuous. You're assuming that a younger person doesn't have anything of value to add, simply because that person is younger. That's pretty direct arrogance, patronization, and dismissiveness that rubs just about everybody the wrong way. Your attitude is essentially, "Prove to me that you're worth listening to." It's beyond insulting. You have clearly realized little throughout this thread.


Saying they have no value to add is harsh. Assuming they have limited value to add? It's just life experience. I think you believe that whenever I meet a very bright young individual I try and make them feel worse about themselves? Absolutely not. Don't forget I've been a trainer and coach in various sports. In that field, the younger the athlete, the more versatility I have with them, etc.

When it comes to life experience, how am I suppose to give the benefit of the doubt to someone doesn't have much of it?

I guess this is something that's hard to grasp on the internet. Talking face to face I think you'd understand where I'm coming from much better.

Quote:
But go ahead and disregard my opinion. After all, I am like a year younger than you.


I have friends like you, just difference of opinion.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 22878
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
Assuming they have limited value to add? It's just life experience.

When it comes to life experience, how am I suppose to give the benefit of the doubt to someone doesn't have much of it?
Given that you think this, and given that you think the vast majority of FF is a younger demographic, why are you even here?

I'm not telling you to leave. I just can't understand why someone would make 12,000+ posts on a website where they don't respect 80% of the people that make up the website...
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bohlmann20


Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 5138
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
I've come to realize a few things in this thread.


1. Most did not understand the OP. Like some have mentioned, it is sometimes perceived as appropriate to put someone in their place when they are consistently spouting ignorant rhetoric. If the 20 year old in the OP was 40, his ignorant comments would have still be ridiculed. The fact he was younger allowed us to point out more issues with his comments. It's actually more embarrassing for an adult to make the comments he made.


Laughing No offense, but you're just wrong on this topic and can't let it go. Like Drewby's already mentioned, this seems more like a way to justify your actions than to gather opionions, especially since you're not taking our responses into consideration and instead saying that we don't understand your opening post. We understand it's just we're not going to justify talking down to people.

In your example of informing a younger person who is ignorant on a topic, that's not talking down to someone, it's sharing knowledge. Big difference.

And I love your second point, it shows why you will not take our responses into consideration:

[img]2. Most people on this forum are of the younger age group, I believe it's 80% 25 and under (50% 20 and under) and became very defensive when I mentioned younger age groups. Understand guys that I'm not talking down to you if you're at that age, I just don't have the respect for you as my peers who have accomplished quite a lot in their lives so far. I see potential in some of you and that's what I love about teaching. However life experience cannot be understated. It hits you like a train.[/img]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John232


Joined: 05 Jan 2006
Posts: 10403
Location: A place where everybody is from somewhere else.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a young person hasn't accomplished much in a professional field doesn't mean they haven't gone through plenty of life experiences worthy of a persons respect. I have a friend of mine from high school who at 8 came over to the US on a tire. He learned English on his own accord. He had to overcome a sexual assault, being gay in a very conservative Honduran family who basically disowned him. His family his freshman year of college was also deported. He's currently in an asylum case and also has a student visa iirc) while working a full time job to pay for his full time schedule at UCLA where he maintains close to a 4.0 gpa. Freddy is also one of the most upbeat, positive and kind people I know. He is 23 and he's experienced more troubles and more of "life" then most people I know. I hope a person like that is deserves your respect. Because he certainly has mine.

Obviously, you shouldn't expect to know every persons story, but you have no business assuming that because someone is young they have never had to deal with real "life' hardships. That's an incredibly ignorant position to take. That's not to say that there isn't some validity in your position. With age absolutely comes a certain amount of knowledge and confidence, but there are plenty of young people who are more capable then there elders and demand the same exact respect.

I hope this made sense. I have a tendency to get on FF and have any writing skills I developed go out the door.
_________________

xsaMainevent on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JohnChimpo


Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 5059
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying, x0x. I have friends who would see this is in a similar way. I would disagree with them, but they are still my friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
x0x


Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Posts: 15378
Location: Ontario, Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
Just because a young person hasn't accomplished much in a professional field doesn't mean they haven't gone through plenty of life experiences worthy of a persons respect. I have a friend of mine from high school who at 8 came over to the US on a tire. He learned English on his own accord. He had to overcome a sexual assault, being gay in a very conservative Honduran family who basically disowned him. His family his freshman year of college was also deported. He's currently in an asylum case and also has a student visa iirc) while working a full time job to pay for his full time schedule at UCLA where he maintains close to a 4.0 gpa. Freddy is also one of the most upbeat, positive and kind people I know. He is 23 and he's experienced more troubles and more of "life" then most people I know. I hope a person like that is deserves your respect. Because he certainly has mine.


I've seen these stories in other threads as well as outliers.

So what is your final point? That I should assume everyone has had sufficient life experience ignoring the overwhelming norm?

Your friend certainly has my respect from his story alone, but he is an amazing case.


As I stated already, I've met very bright individuals, they have more respect than most of my friends who are older and achieved more. These individuals have this respect because I see their potential as so much more than what most people have.


BUT, I do not assume most people, let alone younger individuals, have this potential.


ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
Given that you think this, and given that you think the vast majority of FF is a younger demographic, why are you even here?

I'm not telling you to leave. I just can't understand why someone would make 12,000+ posts on a website where they don't respect 80% of the people that make up the website...


In my experience, every internet forum has an overwhelming youth majority.

There sure as hell aren't any sports forums where most of the members are 30+. Reason is, as so many here tend to ignore, is that my generation grew up before internet. We are more inclined to use the internet for business than socializing.

I don't really socialize with too many here on FF, I talk sports. And I often try to bring informative perspective to certain discussions concerning all-time rankings etc.


As for respecting the opinions of most here? Some have shown they know what they're talking about, some show they are lacking or extremely biased. That's life.


And at the end of the day, we're talking sports. I want more young people in sports because unfortunately as you get older, you aren't able to be as deep into it on a physical basis.


I don't come here for life advice.
_________________
Legends Never Die. They Breathe Through The New Generation.
100 Greatest Quarterbacks of All Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jagman777


Joined: 30 May 2006
Posts: 6624
Location: 904
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read through the whole thread but it seems to me OP is seeking justification for his rude behavior.
_________________
StevePerry wrote:
Trust Steve. A belt buckle of that quality will change your life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JDLefebvre


Moderator
Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 24282
Location: Midway PA /Clovis NM
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
I don't really socialize with too many here on FF, I talk sports. And I often try to bring informative perspective to certain discussions concerning all-time rankings etc.


and make threads about wearing hair pieces, and eating your roomates food and MANY other outlandish topics and complain when no one is on your side of the argument. No one makes more threads in TAST than you do.

x0x wrote:
I don't come here for life advice.


Laughing Laughing Laughing
_________________
Stay low boys.... keep those feet moving!


KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group