Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Matt Slauson fined $10,000 for block on Cushing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Matt Slauson fined $10,000 for block on Cushing Reply with quote

Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Jets OG Matt Slauson was fined $10,000 for his illegal block on #Texans LB Brian Cushing which ended his season.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256512649557311489

Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Matt Slauson fined $10,000 for block on Cushing Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
Week 5 NFL Fines: #Jets OG Matt Slauson was fined $10,000 for his illegal block on #Texans LB Brian Cushing which ended his season.

Id rather he not, no amount of money can bring Cush back This season....

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swaggg" Swearinger
48 tot, 1 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They need to add a zero to that fine. Small fines for guys making millions is almost an insult.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol what a pathetic fine for injuring or defensive captain.

Don't you get more for celebrating a touchdown?

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Matt Slauson fined $10,000 for block on Cushing Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:

Id rather he not, no amount of money can bring Cush back This season....

It will never happen, but if the league were actually serious about player safety, there would be some component where the result of a hit deemed illegal was factored into the punishment. If your cheap shot knocks a player out for the season you shouldn't be able to play football the next freaking game or two. If a soccer ref can give you a red card and send you out for the current game and the next for a dangerous play, why the hell can't the NFL league office.

As for the fines, I think the entire premise is absurd. If in my business a competitor came over and did something to damage my ability to hit our goals for the year by interfering with my employee's ability to perform his job they would have a tortuous interference lawsuit sitting on their desk the next day and I wouldn't just be suing the individual who did it, I'd be suing the company who he represented. If a grunt like Matt Slausen cutting Cushing from the blindside costs us even one home playoff game imagine the real revenue impact on just gameday concessions and merch better yet long-term effects on ticket prices, sponsorship sales, season ticket renewals, etc. I can hardly imagine the businessman in Bob McNair being able to reconcile forcing a millionaire to donate $10k to NFL league charities (aka pay a fine) with the damage the Jets employee caused to our company.

In a post-bounty gate world, a readjustment is needed from this mindset that there is some code of sporting ethics amongst teams or players that wouldn't lead them to hurt players to help themselves or their team win a game. The Broncos chances of winning were greatly enhanced by knocking Matt Schaub out of the game and clearly 2 straight personal fouls, fines or suspensions weren't a deterrent. The Jets were in an even more desperate state and if you were drawing up a gameplan on how to win that game, knocking Brian Cushing out of the game would be at the top of the list for a team that needed to be able to run up the gut to have a chance. I freely admit to be way out on my conspiracy ledge on this one, but check back with me if JJ Watt gets taken out by Matt Birk or Arian takes a shot to the kneecap from Bernard Pollard in the Ravens game. I'd REALLY be watching what transpires in the Titans game considering we knocked out their QB and Jerry Gray being a Gregg Williams disciple who got turned down by the Texans for multiple openings. Cynical I know, but I've watched 2 other sports I love (baseball, cycling) get damaged badly and entire era's wiped clean because people couldn't fathom the reality that methodical and systemic cheating was going on and being rewarded and I see what is going on in football as an area so much darker and potentially deadly than performance enhancement.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
green24

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
Lol what a pathetic fine for injuring or defensive captain.

Don't you get more for celebrating a touchdown?

I agree that he should have been fined more than that.
Texans02

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Matt Slauson fined $10,000 for block on Cushing Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
If a soccer ref can give you a red card and send you out for the current game and the next for a dangerous play, why the hell can't the NFL league office.

Yes, this is very puzzling. In soccer, not only do you miss the rest of the game if you are red carded, but they can't replace you (they have to play a man down). Then you are suspended the next two games automatically I believe.

In the NFL, you can take out someone's knee or give them a brain injury, and you give a portion of that week's game check to charity. And if you are too obvious (Joe Mays), maybe you sit a game.

With the current system of incentives, the only hope is that a coach or player has the moral fortitude to not purposefully injure someone else, because the league consequences are a joke. And I think it's been abundantly clear with bounty-gate (no way the Saints are alone in doing it) that moral fortitude is lacking.

10K for purposefully blowing out another player's knee. That wouldn't even cover 1/4 of the medical bill.

Yes please!
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL needs to implement an "eye for eye" punishment system. If you take out someone's knee with an illegal block, the affected person should be able to select someone to smack the offender in the knee with a baseball bat.

Get Cush to send Watt to this guy and thump him in the back of the knee. Get Schaub to send Brown to Joe Mays and thump him in the skull for the hit a few weeks ago.

I can promise that we'd see a decline in these illegal hits if the NFL allowed this. Sometimes, the simplest solution is also the best solution. Very Happy

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
treece300e

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
NFL needs to implement an "eye for eye" punishment system. If you take out someone's knee with an illegal block, the affected person should be able to select someone to smack the offender in the knee with a baseball bat.

Get Cush to send Watt to this guy and thump him in the back of the knee. Get Schaub to send Brown to Joe Mays and thump him in the skull for the hit a few weeks ago.

I can promise that we'd see a decline in these illegal hits if the NFL allowed this. Sometimes, the simplest solution is also the best solution. Very Happy

I've always felt the same about murderers that get a death sentence, but that might be a little more insensitive.
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:

No, but the person committing the penalty should be suspended as long as the person who's rehabbing the injury. If Cushing is out for a year, then Slauson should be as well.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:

No, but the person committing the penalty should be suspended as long as the person who's rehabbing the injury. If Cushing is out for a year, then Slauson should be as well.

That would be one big way to stop this kind of 'tackling'. These financial penalties meated out the by league is pocket change for most of these players. Also if a player knocks out another player by going head hunting he too should sit - without pay mind you - as long as the player getting a concussion from this kind of thuggish behavior. Go after the guys playing time plus his pocketbook!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: