Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J.J. Watt loses Sack Lead...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Abe56


Joined: 21 Nov 2005
Posts: 6451
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he only has 7.5 sacks? There goes DPOY.
_________________
Adopt a Jet - Muhammad Wilkerson

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro



Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a designed run to Reggie Bush, no doubt about it.

That's a sack if you count touching a guy who's given himself up on the ground as a sack.

In that case, my 3 year old niece could have done what JJ Watt did.

If you want to make a case that JJ Watt is a great player because of stuff like that then you spend too much time on the internet arguing about crap you shouldn't be even thinking about. I'm shouldn't even be writing this. I'm done writing this! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9090
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
That was a designed run to Reggie Bush, no doubt about it.

That's a sack if you count touching a guy who's given himself up on the ground as a sack.

In that case, my 3 year old niece could have done what JJ Watt did.

If you want to make a case that JJ Watt is a great player because of stuff like that then you spend too much time on the internet arguing about crap you shouldn't be even thinking about. I'm shouldn't even be writing this. I'm done writing this! Evil or Very Mad


Rolling Eyes

For me it has nothing to do with whether or not JJ Watt "deserved" a sack there. It has to do with the simplification of a stat.

Following this logic... what's next? Should we start taking away interceptions for tipped balls? No... that's ridiculous. If a QB is tackled behind the LOS, its a sack, period. Making these distinctions based on "intent" is flawed on more than one level.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
phinmun


Joined: 29 Dec 2007
Posts: 2231
Location: South Carolina
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
phinmun wrote:
That was a designed run to Reggie Bush, no doubt about it.

That's a sack if you count touching a guy who's given himself up on the ground as a sack.

In that case, my 3 year old niece could have done what JJ Watt did.

If you want to make a case that JJ Watt is a great player because of stuff like that then you spend too much time on the internet arguing about crap you shouldn't be even thinking about. I'm shouldn't even be writing this. I'm done writing this! Evil or Very Mad


Rolling Eyes

For me it has nothing to do with whether or not JJ Watt "deserved" a sack there. It has to do with the simplification of a stat.

Following this logic... what's next? Should we start taking away interceptions for tipped balls? No... that's ridiculous. If a QB is tackled behind the LOS, its a sack, period. Making these distinctions based on "intent" is flawed on more than one level.


It belittles the statistic to include these types of 'play-enders.'

This wasn't football, this was JJ Watt having to touch a player 'down' because Ryan Tannehill did the smart thing and simply covered up when he knew the play had blown up.

Oh, cry me a river, JJ Watt is so ripped off here! Rolling Eyes

If you get credit for stuff like that, fine, live with it, but don't be up in arms when your favorite player--or any player--doesn't get credit because he had to make physical contact with a guy who was given up. Ryan Tannehill would've stayed down long enough for JJ Watt to circle the stadium twice and come back onto the field.

This was no exceptional effort so there's nothing to defend. If you don't think it's fair then I suggest to question why we use statistics in the 1st place. What good is a sack record at all if it includes bogus stuff.

...yeah, yeah, yeah...someone show the Strahan-Favre clip. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray Smoodiver


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 19
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tackle for loss is just as good as a sack, people get waaaaaaay too caught up in sack numbers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bohlmann20


Joined: 22 Mar 2012
Posts: 5138
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Smoodiver wrote:
Tackle for loss is just as good as a sack, people get waaaaaaay too caught up in sack numbers


Maybe in a literal sense, but sacks definitely get a defense more psyched up than a TFL does.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogfeet


Joined: 12 Apr 2011
Posts: 459
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... not sure about this one. I don't know if they really should have changed it from what it was. If it was their intention to run, their intention failed before the tackle, and after the handoff fails I don't see how you can classify it as a run, as Tannenhill may well have thrown it away. I think they should have let this one stand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheKillerNacho


Joined: 10 Feb 2008
Posts: 9090
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
phinmun wrote:
That was a designed run to Reggie Bush, no doubt about it.

That's a sack if you count touching a guy who's given himself up on the ground as a sack.

In that case, my 3 year old niece could have done what JJ Watt did.

If you want to make a case that JJ Watt is a great player because of stuff like that then you spend too much time on the internet arguing about crap you shouldn't be even thinking about. I'm shouldn't even be writing this. I'm done writing this! Evil or Very Mad


Rolling Eyes

For me it has nothing to do with whether or not JJ Watt "deserved" a sack there. It has to do with the simplification of a stat.

Following this logic... what's next? Should we start taking away interceptions for tipped balls? No... that's ridiculous. If a QB is tackled behind the LOS, its a sack, period. Making these distinctions based on "intent" is flawed on more than one level.


It belittles the statistic to include these types of 'play-enders.'

This wasn't football, this was JJ Watt having to touch a player 'down' because Ryan Tannehill did the smart thing and simply covered up when he knew the play had blown up.

Oh, cry me a river, JJ Watt is so ripped off here! Rolling Eyes

If you get credit for stuff like that, fine, live with it, but don't be up in arms when your favorite player--or any player--doesn't get credit because he had to make physical contact with a guy who was given up. Ryan Tannehill would've stayed down long enough for JJ Watt to circle the stadium twice and come back onto the field.

This was no exceptional effort so there's nothing to defend. If you don't think it's fair then I suggest to question why we use statistics in the 1st place. What good is a sack record at all if it includes bogus stuff.

...yeah, yeah, yeah...someone show the Strahan-Favre clip. Rolling Eyes


Lol @ the assumptions made in this post.

I don't give two [inappropriate/removed] about JJ Watt, I'm a Dolphins fan. But making a stat based on intent is silly. BTW, watch the play. JJ Watt completely shut down that play and tackled the QB. It was a sack in my eyes.
_________________
With much cheese,

Nacho Simulation Football League
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, NFL...yes. Make Watt angry. Twisted Evil
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RuskieTitan


Joined: 29 Apr 2007
Posts: 37132
Location: Front lines of Titania
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can he appeal this decision?
_________________

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fretgod99


Global Moderator
Joined: 05 Aug 2005
Posts: 18798
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players don't get credit for a sack on an intentional grounding do they? That's one that always bugged me.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaytrajik


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 13588
Location: Odessa/Houston
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
phinmun wrote:
That was a designed run to Reggie Bush, no doubt about it.

That's a sack if you count touching a guy who's given himself up on the ground as a sack.

In that case, my 3 year old niece could have done what JJ Watt did.

If you want to make a case that JJ Watt is a great player because of stuff like that then you spend too much time on the internet arguing about crap you shouldn't be even thinking about. I'm shouldn't even be writing this. I'm done writing this! Evil or Very Mad


Rolling Eyes

For me it has nothing to do with whether or not JJ Watt "deserved" a sack there. It has to do with the simplification of a stat.

Following this logic... what's next? Should we start taking away interceptions for tipped balls? No... that's ridiculous. If a QB is tackled behind the LOS, its a sack, period. Making these distinctions based on "intent" is flawed on more than one level.


It belittles the statistic to include these types of 'play-enders.'

This wasn't football, this was JJ Watt having to touch a player 'down' because Ryan Tannehill did the smart thing and simply covered up when he knew the play had blown up.

Oh, cry me a river, JJ Watt is so ripped off here! Rolling Eyes

If you get credit for stuff like that, fine, live with it, but don't be up in arms when your favorite player--or any player--doesn't get credit because he had to make physical contact with a guy who was given up. Ryan Tannehill would've stayed down long enough for JJ Watt to circle the stadium twice and come back onto the field.

This was no exceptional effort so there's nothing to defend. If you don't think it's fair then I suggest to question why we use statistics in the 1st place. What good is a sack record at all if it includes bogus stuff.

...yeah, yeah, yeah...someone show the Strahan-Favre clip. Rolling Eyes


why are you so angry? Laughing
_________________


"I don't always throw a TD pass but when i do, it's to the wrong team" - The most interesting man in Houston #8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Jacobys Homey


Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 8350
Location: BU
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Smoodiver wrote:
Tackle for loss is just as good as a sack, people get waaaaaaay too caught up in sack numbers


When is the last time you saw a 7 yard TFL?

Sacks have a much higher average loss.
_________________


Did you feel the mountains tremble?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 8617
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big deal. He plays the Packers this week, and our line is nice enough to let him get at least 3 more.
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 18248
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfeet wrote:
Hmm... not sure about this one. I don't know if they really should have changed it from what it was. If it was their intention to run, their intention failed before the tackle, and after the handoff fails I don't see how you can classify it as a run, as Tannenhill may well have thrown it away. I think they should have let this one stand.


If he had, it would have been a penalty for illegal lineman downfield.
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group