Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J.J. Watt loses Sack Lead...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abe56

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So he only has 7.5 sacks? There goes DPOY.

64 Tackles, 10.5 Sacks, 6 STF, 2 FF, 1 INT, 3 PD

2nd Team All Pro

Jets, Knicks, Athletics, Buckeyes
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a designed run to Reggie Bush, no doubt about it.

That's a sack if you count touching a guy who's given himself up on the ground as a sack.

In that case, my 3 year old niece could have done what JJ Watt did.

If you want to make a case that JJ Watt is a great player because of stuff like that then you spend too much time on the internet arguing about crap you shouldn't be even thinking about. I'm shouldn't even be writing this. I'm done writing this! Evil or Very Mad
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:

That's a sack if you count touching a guy who's given himself up on the ground as a sack.

If you want to make a case that JJ Watt is a great player because of stuff like that then you spend too much time on the internet arguing about crap you shouldn't be even thinking about. I'm shouldn't even be writing this. I'm done writing this! Evil or Very Mad

Rolling Eyes

For me it has nothing to do with whether or not JJ Watt "deserved" a sack there. It has to do with the simplification of a stat.

Following this logic... what's next? Should we start taking away interceptions for tipped balls? No... that's ridiculous. If a QB is tackled behind the LOS, its a sack, period. Making these distinctions based on "intent" is flawed on more than one level.

Nacho Simulation Football League
phinmun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
phinmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

For me it has nothing to do with whether or not JJ Watt "deserved" a sack there. It has to do with the simplification of a stat.

Following this logic... what's next? Should we start taking away interceptions for tipped balls? No... that's ridiculous. If a QB is tackled behind the LOS, its a sack, period. Making these distinctions based on "intent" is flawed on more than one level.

It belittles the statistic to include these types of 'play-enders.'

This wasn't football, this was JJ Watt having to touch a player 'down' because Ryan Tannehill did the smart thing and simply covered up when he knew the play had blown up.

Oh, cry me a river, JJ Watt is so ripped off here! Rolling Eyes

If you get credit for stuff like that, fine, live with it, but don't be up in arms when your favorite player--or any player--doesn't get credit because he had to make physical contact with a guy who was given up. Ryan Tannehill would've stayed down long enough for JJ Watt to circle the stadium twice and come back onto the field.

This was no exceptional effort so there's nothing to defend. If you don't think it's fair then I suggest to question why we use statistics in the 1st place. What good is a sack record at all if it includes bogus stuff.

...yeah, yeah, yeah...someone show the Strahan-Favre clip. Rolling Eyes
Ray Smoodiver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tackle for loss is just as good as a sack, people get waaaaaaay too caught up in sack numbers
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Smoodiver wrote:
Tackle for loss is just as good as a sack, people get waaaaaaay too caught up in sack numbers

Maybe in a literal sense, but sacks definitely get a defense more psyched up than a TFL does.
Dogfeet

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... not sure about this one. I don't know if they really should have changed it from what it was. If it was their intention to run, their intention failed before the tackle, and after the handoff fails I don't see how you can classify it as a run, as Tannenhill may well have thrown it away. I think they should have let this one stand.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
phinmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

This wasn't football, this was JJ Watt having to touch a player 'down' because Ryan Tannehill did the smart thing and simply covered up when he knew the play had blown up.

If you get credit for stuff like that, fine, live with it, but don't be up in arms when your favorite player--or any player--doesn't get credit because he had to make physical contact with a guy who was given up. Ryan Tannehill would've stayed down long enough for JJ Watt to circle the stadium twice and come back onto the field.

This was no exceptional effort so there's nothing to defend. If you don't think it's fair then I suggest to question why we use statistics in the 1st place. What good is a sack record at all if it includes bogus stuff.

Lol @ the assumptions made in this post.

I don't give two [inappropriate/removed] about JJ Watt, I'm a Dolphins fan. But making a stat based on intent is silly. BTW, watch the play. JJ Watt completely shut down that play and tackled the QB. It was a sack in my eyes.

Nacho Simulation Football League
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, NFL...yes. Make Watt angry. Twisted Evil

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can he appeal this decision?

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Players don't get credit for a sack on an intentional grounding do they? That's one that always bugged me.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Jaytrajik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
TheKillerNacho wrote:
phinmun wrote:

Rolling Eyes

why are you so angry? Laughing

"I don't always throw a TD pass but when i do, it's to the wrong team" - The most interesting man in Houston #8
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Smoodiver wrote:

When is the last time you saw a 7 yard TFL?

Sacks have a much higher average loss.

Did you feel the mountains tremble?

DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a big deal. He plays the Packers this week, and our line is nice enough to let him get at least 3 more.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
theJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogfeet wrote:
Hmm... not sure about this one. I don't know if they really should have changed it from what it was. If it was their intention to run, their intention failed before the tackle, and after the handoff fails I don't see how you can classify it as a run, as Tannenhill may well have thrown it away. I think they should have let this one stand.

If he had, it would have been a penalty for illegal lineman downfield.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: