Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jerry Wants The O-line To Block Better
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Free's only 6'6. Nicks is 6'5. I doubt that extra inch would be a big difference.

Really? I thought he was more in the neighborhood of 6'7, maybe even 6'8. If he is only 6'6, then he might be able to move inside to guard. The guy to ask is JWingate though, I know that he is scouting our own players right now

Yup, only 6'6", at least according to just about every site out there. Laughing

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10565/doug-free

http://www.nfl.com/player/dougfree/2495606/profile

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/roster/doug-free/688eeab8-8a8b-4f63-a760-e638d2a397ae/

Hey, he looks a lot bigger on TV. I'm as tall as Doug Free Very Happy

I have never played a snap of organized football in my life, and all of my friends tell me to try to walk onto the UMass football team just because of how big I am.

Give it a shot Laughing

^^^mack
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahobofest wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
TheStarStillShines wrote:
If the Gs and Free still struggle, the Boys should consider moving Free inside as he lacks the lateral movement to pass protect. He may be better off working in a more confined space and where he could better use his athleticism on traps and pulls.

He might be too tall to play guard. I feel like the DTs can get right up under him and drive him backwards

Free's only 6'6. Nicks is 6'5. I doubt that extra inch would be a big difference.

Every inch makes a difference!

That's what she said!

If Leonard Davis can move from OT to OG, then Free should be able to do so.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dahobofest wrote:
Every inch makes a difference!

Is that what she told you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I sent this to Slam in a PM...

Quote:
I think that our team is 2-3 O-linemen away from a big playoff run.

We are set at LT with Smith, he is only going to get better with age/experience on the left side.

We seem to be set for a few years with Nate Livings at LG. He has been pretty darn good.

Costa/Cook suck out loud at C. This position has to be adressed either via a quality FA, a trade for a veteran or a high draft pick.

Burnindeuce is exactly what we have been calling him. A night of gorging on spicy food and drinking Mexican water would produce more pleasant results than he has. This spot has to be adressed either with a quality FA, trade or the draft.

Then, we have Doug Free. I really don't know what to make of him. He seemed really good at RT when playing for Colombo. Then he moved to LT and was pretty good. But last season, he stunk and seemed to be better suited to the RT spot. Now, I can't tell if he is still having issues or if Burnindeuces deficiencies are causing him to have trouble. If we replace the LG with a quality player, will it make Free better? Or is he beyond salvaging? I think he is worth 1 more year with a new LG beside him.

Smith, Livings, New C, New RG, Free

That definitely is doable in 1 offseason, even with Jerry Jones still involved. One free agent and a draft pick in the first 3 rounds and you have it covered. It is doable, but will it be done? That's the question.

ht, I'll just respond here... There's nothing about the Cowboys organization's recent history that leads me to believe they can find 2-3 good offensive linemen in 1 one offseason. I'm taking serious liberties with the word "good" for what I'm about to say... Since Jimmy, the organization has drafted 3 good offensive linemen... LA, Flozell Adams, and Andre Gurode. Tyron Smith has potential. The organization has brought in a few serviceable FA offensive linemen... Kyle kosier, Marc Colombo, Bigg Davis. Other than that, it's been really slim pickings. Could another organization find 2-3 OLmen in an offseason? Maybe. But there is nothing about the cowboys organization that would lead me to believe that have a high probability of finding one good OLman... Let alone 3.

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
Desperado82

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
I think it's a little early to declare the likes of Arkin and Kowalski junk, wouldn't you plan? I also wouldn't be so quick to throw out Ron Leary.

Is it too soon to call them "junk"? I guess it would depend on your perspective. You know that I'm a fan of Kowalski and agree that Arkin needed/needs time to develop. However, my concern with him is that he must have been very far behind the curve if he can't crack the starting lineup given the talent devoid players currently occupying some of those positions.

Also, I went on record since draft day that I was 100% behind Ron Leary. I like Leary. I believe in Leary. And I know that the guy can play. I watched him in college. That being said, I look at who we have - regardless of potential (or lack thereof) - and would ask this:

Knowing that we currently only have a collection of young guys whom we hope can play well, why should that stop us from drafting stud offensive linemen early in the draft? Isn't it a better scenario to have "too much" depth at o-line rather than none? Even if the guys we have develop into talented players, what's wrong with having starting caliber backups behind potential pro-bowl starters?

I'll agree on your first point, but I have confidence he (Arkin) can turn into something good at the very least.

I also have no issue with your last statement. I'm all for it. However, as I've mentioned before...the team felt they had some potential depth/starters on the offensive line going into the off-season. They signed Livings and Bernadeau with the hopes they could compete with the talent already on board and start if need be.

They, however, had no depth in the secondary. Therefore, they delegated the majority of their resources to that area. Thus far, we have yet to really allow any deep passes or been torched as a result of the improved secondary. Unfortunately, due to injury...Arkin was not able to focus on his natural position, Nagy ended up on IR and had to be waived to sign a replacement and was snagged by another team, and Kowalski and Costa both missed time due to injury. The injury bug bit us in the arse, not exactly something you can plan for.

Hopefully, we'll see Bernadeuce replaced as someone like Kowalski becomes healthy. That seems to be the plan, at least as of right now. Since Garrett took over, we seem to be targeting areas of need with our draft. In 2011, the offensive line was clearly an issue - Tyron Smith was the first pick, Arkin in the 4th and Nagy in the 7th, then they brought in two UDFAs in Kowalski and Costa. This year, they signed Carr and drafted Claiborne.

Now, the offensive line appears to still be an issue. Using the past two years as an example, they should target drafting an offensive lineman as a priority in next years' draft. It makes sense based on their strategy since Garrett took over. We know he has a good relationship with Nick Saban, so it makes sense that someone like Jones or Warmack will end up here if available.

^^^mack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: