Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Moss or Lebron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bigger Athletic Freak?
Randy
36%
 36%  [ 25 ]
Lebron
63%
 63%  [ 43 ]
Total Votes : 68

Author Message
ArodFanboy


Joined: 29 Dec 2008
Posts: 4261
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entirely different types of athletes.



How about Dustin Colquitt vs Joe Flacco?

Better yet, Blair Walsh vs Carl Nicks?


Obviously I'm kidding, but I just think comparing these two athletically doesn't make much sense. Basketball players and football players aren't comparable to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DarrellGreen28


Joined: 16 Jan 2011
Posts: 454
Location: Rockville, MD
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta go with the King here.
_________________
RG3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neezy007


Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 9072
Location: El Paso
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People love Jimmy Graham for his athleticism. Lebron's size, speed (I'm guessing he is about the same speed or 4.5-6), agility, and vertical, he would be so nasty at TE. Remember, Lebron is 6'8. That is bigger than most offensive lineman. BBall requires good footwork and agility which would be a big plus for him in the NFL. His agility in close quarter situations would be amazing in the NFL. If Antonio Gates did as much as he did with a bball back ground, same with Jimmy Graham, no doubt LeBron could be an animal at TE.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 21271
Location: Beat Of My Own Drum
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/articles/issue29/heisman.html

Quote:
Imagine. Randy Moss, Marshall University, Heisman Trophy winner in 1997. The Thundering Herd's sleek, talented sophomore receiver has won numerous other honors in his short, 15-game college career. So why not the Heisman? Everybody's talking about it. Everybody, that is, but Moss. "I don't know what's so big about the Heisman," Moss says. "I just want to win games." And there you have it. The new, mature, serious Randy Moss. The Randy Moss who talks about 1997 only in terms of wins on the field. But despite the rhetoric, you can't deny his extraordinary talents. That's talents, in the plural.

A native of Rand, W.Va., he played football, basketball, baseball and ran track at Dupont High School where he lettered in all four sports. He was named West Virginia High School Player of the Year in football his senior year and Player of the Year in basketball both his junior and senior years.

'Randy Moss was the best high school football player I've ever seen," said former Notre Dame Coach Lou Holtz. Moss earned a full ride to Notre Dame in 1995 before a racially-motivated fight his senior year in high school saw him charged with two counts of simple battery and cost him his dream of playing for the Irish.

"When I lost my scholarship, I just sat down and prayed to the Lord that another opportunity would come my way," Moss said. Bobby Bowden gave the youngster that opportunity at Florida State where Moss raised some eyebrows as a redshirt freshman.

"At spring practice, he was head and shoulders above everybody else," noted former FSU interim AD Wayne Hogan. "He'd just dazzle everyone. During my 14 years down there, I only saw two people stand out above the crown like that. One was Deion Sanders. The other was Randy Moss." At 6' 5" and 210 lbs., Moss possess frightening speed. At FSU he ran the 40 in 4.25. The only Seminole in history to clock a faster time was Sanders at 4.23. And as if that weren't enough, he possesses a 3'6' vertical leap and versatile speed. "Randy could be a world-class sprinter," notes MU Track & Field Coach Jeff Small. "He's by far the best runner I've ever seen. That includes Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis." Small should know. After practicing with the team for only three days, Moss competed in the Southern Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships last February. He won the 200 meters in 21.15 and qualified for the NCAA Championships. He also won the 55 meters (6.32) breaking the MU record.

But despite all his natural talent, trouble continued to follow Moss when he tested positive for smoking marijuana at Florida State and was kicked off the team. That's how he found his way back to West Virginia and a three month stay in jail for violating his probation. "There's a lot you think about in a jail cell," Moss said. "You only have yourself. There's no one to hug or clown around with. You have a lot of time to sit around and think about what you did wrong. I've messed up. It's as simple as that."

Moss then set out to make his dream of playing in the NFL a reality. As a freshman at Marshall University, he caught 28 touchdown passes, led the nation in kickoff returns, and piled up 1,709 yards on 78 receptions. He caught more regular season touchdown passes than any freshman in NCAA history and broke nearly every record in the book, the most noteworthy being Jerry Rice's consecutive touchdown reception mark. For all his accomplishments, he has been selected as a preseason All-American by The Sporting News, Playboy, Street & Smith, Football News and has garnered superstar accolades from the media.


_________________
NoFlyZone wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
Why would I choose No Fly Zone? Dude is the biggest Dez Bryant homer.

Hey man, NBT hasn't been doing a good enough job with his receiver homerism. Someone has to step up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45209
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
People love Jimmy Graham for his athleticism. Lebron's size, speed (I'm guessing he is about the same speed or 4.5-6), agility, and vertical, he would be so nasty at TE. Remember, Lebron is 6'8. That is bigger than most offensive lineman. BBall requires good footwork and agility which would be a big plus for him in the NFL. His agility in close quarter situations would be amazing in the NFL. If Antonio Gates did as much as he did with a bball back ground, same with Jimmy Graham, no doubt LeBron could be an animal at TE.


Lebron is 6'7" by NFL measurements.

And Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham are the exceptions to the rule.

There have been a ton of former basketball players that tried to do the same and weren't good enough. Rams drafted a guy named Fendi Onobun who was a former basketball player that was 6'6" 250 with 4.4 to 4.5 speed and a 38 inch VJ. Guess what happened with him? Nothing.

Athleticism only means so much.

So sorry but it's far from a certainty that Lebron could step in and be an amazing TE.

But I find it funny that people base their opinion of LeBron being able to play in the NFL because of his athleticism and he was good at football in High School but in the same vein claim that Moss couldn't make it in the NBA. Well, Moss would be the most athletic person on the court at all times and was a pretty darn dominant high school basketball player. He played on a team with future top 10 pick and NBA Champion, Jason Williams and Moss was the one who was named 2 time West Virginia Player of the Year.

In fact, here's an article on it:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-19990712-article28

Moss had the size and athleticism to be scary slashing 2 guard. Yet I saw one poster claim that he couldn't even make the D-League and LeBron is a definite All Pro.

That's exactly what I was talking about with the myths of LeBron.

yupyup wrote:


He is the bolded, don't know why people can't ever understand that. Does he run a 4.4 or have a 50 inch vert? No, but he's very fast (I'd guess in Cleveland he could run something like 4.55-4.59) and his vert reaches the 40's.


No, he's not. In NFL measurements, he'd be 6'7" 250 to 255.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yupyup


Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 585
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
neezy007 wrote:
People love Jimmy Graham for his athleticism. Lebron's size, speed (I'm guessing he is about the same speed or 4.5-6), agility, and vertical, he would be so nasty at TE. Remember, Lebron is 6'8. That is bigger than most offensive lineman. BBall requires good footwork and agility which would be a big plus for him in the NFL. His agility in close quarter situations would be amazing in the NFL. If Antonio Gates did as much as he did with a bball back ground, same with Jimmy Graham, no doubt LeBron could be an animal at TE.


Lebron is 6'7" by NFL measurements.

And Antonio Gates and Jimmy Graham are the exceptions to the rule.

There have been a ton of former basketball players that tried to do the same and weren't good enough. Rams drafted a guy named Fendi Onobun who was a former basketball player that was 6'6" 250 with 4.4 to 4.5 speed and a 38 inch VJ. Guess what happened with him? Nothing.

Athleticism only means so much.

So sorry but it's far from a certainty that Lebron could step in and be an amazing TE.

But I find it funny that people base their opinion of LeBron being able to play in the NFL because of his athleticism and he was good at football in High School but in the same vein claim that Moss couldn't make it in the NBA. Well, Moss would be the most athletic person on the court at all times and was a pretty darn dominant high school basketball player. He played on a team with future top 10 pick and NBA Champion, Jason Williams and Moss was the one who was named 2 time West Virginia Player of the Year.

In fact, here's an article on it:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-19990712-article28

Moss had the size and athleticism to be scary slashing 2 guard. Yet I saw one poster claim that he couldn't even make the D-League and LeBron is a definite All Pro.

That's exactly what I was talking about with the myths of LeBron.

yupyup wrote:


He is the bolded, don't know why people can't ever understand that. Does he run a 4.4 or have a 50 inch vert? No, but he's very fast (I'd guess in Cleveland he could run something like 4.55-4.59) and his vert reaches the 40's.


No, he's not. In NFL measurements, he'd be 6'7" 250 to 255.


At the NBA combine he measured 6'7.25 barefoot, 6'8 in shoes. I'm guessing the NFL doesn't measure in shoes, although it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he kept growing. He was only like 18 at the time. But even then I can see them listing him at 6'7 regardless of it's right or not. But 250 lbs? No way in hell. No one who knows a thing about LeBron would say he's 250 right now. Anything under 265 is a joke.
_________________
Not removing until:

Aaron Rodgers becomes a top 10 QB again [X]
USC looks like a top 15 team []
Todd Gurley becomes a household name []
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45209
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yupyup wrote:


At the NBA combine he measured 6'7.25 barefoot, 6'8 in shoes. I'm guessing the NFL doesn't measure in shoes, although it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he kept growing. He was only like 18 at the time. But even then I can see them listing him at 6'7 regardless of it's right or not. But 250 lbs? No way in hell. No one who knows a thing about LeBron would say he's 250 right now. Anything under 265 is a joke.


I don't necessarily believe it but I'll give you 265(because he could bulk up to that in a NFL strength program) as that's the same weight of Gronk and Graham. Issue is that LeBron doesn't have close to NFL technique.

But getting back to the actual point, why is it that LeBron is a lock for All Pro/HOF status and yet most argue Moss(in his prime Moss) couldn't make the NBA D-League if he had focused on basketball?
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yupyup


Joined: 19 Dec 2010
Posts: 585
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
yupyup wrote:


At the NBA combine he measured 6'7.25 barefoot, 6'8 in shoes. I'm guessing the NFL doesn't measure in shoes, although it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he kept growing. He was only like 18 at the time. But even then I can see them listing him at 6'7 regardless of it's right or not. But 250 lbs? No way in hell. No one who knows a thing about LeBron would say he's 250 right now. Anything under 265 is a joke.


I don't necessarily believe it but I'll give you 265(because he could bulk up to that in a NFL strength program) as that's the same weight of Gronk and Graham. Issue is that LeBron doesn't have close to NFL technique.

But getting back to the actual point, why is it that LeBron is a lock for All Pro/HOF status and yet most argue Moss(in his prime Moss) couldn't make the NBA D-League if he had focused on basketball?


I didn't say that, someone else did. I said LeBron had a better chance to be a NFL superstar then Moss did an NBA one. Going by your measurements, it's still much harder to find a super athletic TE who is 6'7 250, then it is to find a 6'4 super athletic SG.
_________________
Not removing until:

Aaron Rodgers becomes a top 10 QB again [X]
USC looks like a top 15 team []
Todd Gurley becomes a household name []
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HighMotorGuy


Joined: 17 Sep 2012
Posts: 575
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the person who said Moss probably wouldn't have made it out of the D League. Basketball is a skill based sport and his athletic ability isn't going to help him to dribble or shoot.

Lebron on the other hand can carry over most of his skills and can no doubt record 1600 yards and 10TDs every season with his combo of size and athleticism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
powderblues


Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2001
Location: California
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighMotorGuy wrote:
I agree with the person who said Moss probably wouldn't have made it out of the D League. Basketball is a skill based sport and his athletic ability isn't going to help him to dribble or shoot.

Lebron on the other hand can carry over most of his skills and can no doubt record 1600 yards and 10TDs every season with his combo of size and athleticism.


Yep, its more about skills than just athletic talent. Look at John wall for example, same height as Moss 6'4", just as much as a freakish athlete, but his basketball skills aren't as amazing as his athleticisim.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Plat


Joined: 06 Jul 2006
Posts: 1428
Location: 905
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powderblues wrote:

Yep, its more about skills than just athletic talent. Look at John wall for example, same height as Moss 6'4", just as much as a freakish athlete, but his basketball skills aren't as amazing as his athleticisim.


John Wall is actually about one inch shorter without shoes, he's 6'3.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darkness


Joined: 24 Jun 2012
Posts: 6463
Location: CA-TX
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
yupyup wrote:


At the NBA combine he measured 6'7.25 barefoot, 6'8 in shoes. I'm guessing the NFL doesn't measure in shoes, although it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he kept growing. He was only like 18 at the time. But even then I can see them listing him at 6'7 regardless of it's right or not. But 250 lbs? No way in hell. No one who knows a thing about LeBron would say he's 250 right now. Anything under 265 is a joke.


I don't necessarily believe it but I'll give you 265(because he could bulk up to that in a NFL strength program) as that's the same weight of Gronk and Graham. Issue is that LeBron doesn't have close to NFL technique.

But getting back to the actual point, why is it that LeBron is a lock for All Pro/HOF status and yet most argue Moss(in his prime Moss) couldn't make the NBA D-League if he had focused on basketball?


But you admit that physically he'd be the biggest athletic freak in the entire league, right? Regardless of his skill, he'd be a 6'8", 270lb monster running with 4.4 - 4.5 speed. There's no denying that physically, he possesses everything you need and then some.

Edit - Plus a vertical hovering around 40 inches and a 7 foot wingspan. Shocked


Last edited by Darkness on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GaTechRavens


Moderator
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 17489
Location: Madison, WI
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
And there you have it. The new, mature, serious Randy Moss.


Seems legit.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45209
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkness wrote:


But you admit that physically he'd be the biggest athletic freak in the entire league, right? Regardless of his skill, he'd be a 6'8", 270lb monster running with 4.4 - 4.5 speed. There's no denying that physically, he possesses everything you need and then some.

Edit - Plus a vertical hovering around 40 inches and a 7 foot wingspan. Shocked


More LeBron myths. Try 6'7" 265(at best) with 4.5 to 4.6 speed.

No, he wouldn't be the biggest athletic freak in the league. In terms of football athleticism, he doesn't rival Calvin Johnson.

And physically, Moss possesses everything you need and then some to be dominant at Basketball. Difference is that Moss beats LeBron in the majority of "athleticism categories".

yupyup wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
yupyup wrote:


At the NBA combine he measured 6'7.25 barefoot, 6'8 in shoes. I'm guessing the NFL doesn't measure in shoes, although it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that he kept growing. He was only like 18 at the time. But even then I can see them listing him at 6'7 regardless of it's right or not. But 250 lbs? No way in hell. No one who knows a thing about LeBron would say he's 250 right now. Anything under 265 is a joke.


I don't necessarily believe it but I'll give you 265(because he could bulk up to that in a NFL strength program) as that's the same weight of Gronk and Graham. Issue is that LeBron doesn't have close to NFL technique.

But getting back to the actual point, why is it that LeBron is a lock for All Pro/HOF status and yet most argue Moss(in his prime Moss) couldn't make the NBA D-League if he had focused on basketball?


I didn't say that, someone else did. I said LeBron had a better chance to be a NFL superstar then Moss did an NBA one. Going by your measurements, it's still much harder to find a super athletic TE who is 6'7 250, then it is to find a 6'4 super athletic SG.


Ok, first of all, Moss would be listed as 6'5" in the NBA. Second of all, name me how many SGs there are in the NBA with Moss's combination of speed, burst, agility and leaping ability? Hint: There are 0. Dwayne Wade is about the closest thing and look how great he is.

As for the NFL, there are quite a few super athletic 6'6" and 6'7" TEs.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?


Last edited by jrry32 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 45209
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HighMotorGuy wrote:
I agree with the person who said Moss probably wouldn't have made it out of the D League. Basketball is a skill based sport and his athletic ability isn't going to help him to dribble or shoot.

Lebron on the other hand can carry over most of his skills and can no doubt record 1600 yards and 10TDs every season with his combo of size and athleticism.


Oh really? Please explain to me why 6'8" Leonard Pope with 4.6 speed and 37.5 inch VJ isn't a dominant NFL player. Please explain why 6'6" Fendi Onobun with 4.4 speed and a 37.5 inch VJ isn't a dominant NFL player.

Frankly, it amazes me how ignorant some people are of just how intricate the game is at the NFL level both in terms of mentally and technically.

powderblues wrote:
HighMotorGuy wrote:
I agree with the person who said Moss probably wouldn't have made it out of the D League. Basketball is a skill based sport and his athletic ability isn't going to help him to dribble or shoot.

Lebron on the other hand can carry over most of his skills and can no doubt record 1600 yards and 10TDs every season with his combo of size and athleticism.


Yep, its more about skills than just athletic talent. Look at John wall for example, same height as Moss 6'4", just as much as a freakish athlete, but his basketball skills aren't as amazing as his athleticisim.


John Wall isn't even close to as athletic as Moss. Not even on the same planet in terms of athleticism.

Football is just as much about skill and toughness.
_________________
The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group