Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Early Draft talks (2013)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpastermack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
So you think Jake Long is gonna take a PAY CUT to play in a system that is taking him out of the HOF like he was a trespasser ? The Jets will give him a blank check if they retain Sporano.

I'd hate to be in a scenario where both Fasano and Egnew have multi-year deals here. Dude has to learn the blocking scheme before the start of next season. I know this sounds crazy, but I get the feeling that Incognito is intimidating or bullying Egnew and Egnews confidence is shot.

In a perfect world the RB we got from the canes, would be our new Reggie Bush and we could let him go too. But I wouldn't be mad at all if we resigned Reggie.

In that same world we could move Odrick to the interior and let Starks hit the market. But I wouldn't be mad if we resigned him either.

Hartline and Smith play at a position where we need more of them. It will be a step backwards to let either one of them go. But we still need an upgrade at their positions.

He could write a blank check if he wants, but when Long goes to cash it, it will bounce. The Jets are currently set to be 11 million over the cap going into next offseason, and that's before resigning any of their own free agents or having the money left over to sign rookies.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:
So you think Jake Long is gonna take a PAY CUT to play in a system that is taking him out of the HOF like he was a trespasser ? The Jets will give him a blank check if they retain Sporano.

I'd hate to be in a scenario where both Fasano and Egnew have multi-year deals here. Dude has to learn the blocking scheme before the start of next season. I know this sounds crazy, but I get the feeling that Incognito is intimidating or bullying Egnew and Egnews confidence is shot.

In a perfect world the RB we got from the canes, would be our new Reggie Bush and we could let him go too. But I wouldn't be mad at all if we resigned Reggie.

In that same world we could move Odrick to the interior and let Starks hit the market. But I wouldn't be mad if we resigned him either.

Hartline and Smith play at a position where we need more of them. It will be a step backwards to let either one of them go. But we still need an upgrade at their positions.

He could write a blank check if he wants, but when Long goes to cash it, it will bounce. The Jets are currently set to be 11 million over the cap going into next offseason, and that's before resigning any of their own free agents or having the money left over to sign rookies.

Based on what you are saying (and your probably right) the Jets would not be his destination. I shouldn't have said that. I do think he will go to a MBS team, tho

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

Based on what you are saying (and your probably right) the Jets would not be his destination. I shouldn't have said that. I do think he will go to a MBS team, tho

If he goes anywhere, then I do think your right. It will be a man blocking scheme. I could see Chicago, but I don't know their cap situation. I know they spent a lot of money recently on guys like Peppers and Marshall amongst a few other big name guys and guys like Forte, they will have to resign. Steelers are about 20 mil over the cap going into next year, and will have to cut and restructure just to stay under the cap. The Redskins have about 4 mil in space and Orakpo is a free agent.

The more I look into it, the more I think Miami is in a REALLY good situation financially. A BUNCH of teams are going to be in serious cap trouble next year and I personally see a huge purge of players that will now have to hit the open market. And I see the overall money to be spent on these free agents being minimal at best, which makes it a buyers market, and Miami will have money to spend either locking up their own players to friendly long term deals, or looking around to see what other options might come up.

The teams to watch out for are teams like Jacksonville or Arizona who have notoriously underspent in the past but will now be forced to spend up to 90 percent of the cap as a new minimum starting next year. But other than that Miami is in a VERY good position going into the offseason and if they can finish this year near .500, then they have the chance with the cap space and draft picks to be a playoff team easily by next year if they do things right.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phinmun wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

I agree with you in the bold, yet from my point of view I can see that whether the Jets retain Sporano or not.

I'd like to see our DL rotation become; Starks, Soliai, Odrick at DT and Wake, Vernon, top FA / draft pick at DE. I do realize that's probably too good to be true, but IMO it makes sense if we can afford it.

Let me tell you why re-signing Randy Starks may dictate what we do in the draft, especially in the 1st round.

Between Odrick getting 1st-round money, Wake getting a new deal and Soliai also getting a new deal, we don't really have enough money to put more than another big-contract on that line. Vernon isn't big money but if we resign Starks, that will be a sizable contract. We can't expect this team to both re-sign Starks and also pay a 1st-round DE prospect.

This also seems to make sense logistically. If we resign Starks that means that he and Soliai will be the primary DTs on this team. We're not going to push Odrick (a 1st rounder) inside to 'rotate' with them. He's going to warrant a starting position somewhere. Re-signing Starks forces Odrick to play DE. Furthermore, we're not going to have a 1st-round DE step into a 4-man line where 2 guys have to stand on the sideline on any given play! Laughing

We just simply can't have 2 1st-round selections (Odrick & ____) as well as 3 other guys with big contracts (Wake, Soliai & Starks).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, for all you who want Starks, don't waste time scouting 1st-round DE prospects and for those who want to do that, don't go shouting about how good Starks is for this team.

That'll be another choice we're faced with aside from this Jake Long fiasco.

We can't expect this team to employ 3 big-money DTs and play 1 of them as rotational. That just won't happen.

If we re-sign Starks to play inside, it will signify to me that Odrick is going to have to stay outside at least until he plays out his contract and another top-tier DE can be considered.

You're probably right, (Like I said, probably too good to be true).....the issue to me is Odrick at DE.....whereas he could be an explosive DT he's lumbering and pokey at the End position. He's just not going to excel to his full potential playing in space and needs to be kicked inside IMO. I'm not saying Odrick is a terrible End....but it's obvious to my eye he's playing out of position.
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
phinmun wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

I agree with you in the bold, yet from my point of view I can see that whether the Jets retain Sporano or not.

I'd like to see our DL rotation become; Starks, Soliai, Odrick at DT and Wake, Vernon, top FA / draft pick at DE. I do realize that's probably too good to be true, but IMO it makes sense if we can afford it.

Let me tell you why re-signing Randy Starks may dictate what we do in the draft, especially in the 1st round.

Between Odrick getting 1st-round money, Wake getting a new deal and Soliai also getting a new deal, we don't really have enough money to put more than another big-contract on that line. Vernon isn't big money but if we resign Starks, that will be a sizable contract. We can't expect this team to both re-sign Starks and also pay a 1st-round DE prospect.

This also seems to make sense logistically. If we resign Starks that means that he and Soliai will be the primary DTs on this team. We're not going to push Odrick (a 1st rounder) inside to 'rotate' with them. He's going to warrant a starting position somewhere. Re-signing Starks forces Odrick to play DE. Furthermore, we're not going to have a 1st-round DE step into a 4-man line where 2 guys have to stand on the sideline on any given play! Laughing

We just simply can't have 2 1st-round selections (Odrick & ____) as well as 3 other guys with big contracts (Wake, Soliai & Starks).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, for all you who want Starks, don't waste time scouting 1st-round DE prospects and for those who want to do that, don't go shouting about how good Starks is for this team.

We can't expect this team to employ 3 big-money DTs and play 1 of them as rotational. That just won't happen.

If we re-sign Starks to play inside, it will signify to me that Odrick is going to have to stay outside at least until he plays out his contract and another top-tier DE can be considered.

You're probably right, (Like I said, probably too good to be true).....the issue to me is Odrick at DE.....whereas he could be an explosive DT he's lumbering and pokey at the End position. He's just not going to excel to his full potential playing in space and needs to be kicked inside IMO. I'm not saying Odrick is a terrible End....but it's obvious to my eye he's playing out of position.

agreed, its odd to expect for a 3-4 DE to be an explosed 4-3DE
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiowas05 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
phinmun wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
dolphinologist wrote:

agreed, its odd to expect for a 3-4 DE to be an explosed 4-3DE

Exactly!

It's no wonder a team with 3 DTs is #1 against the run!

The problem with that is where we end up against the pass because of the lack of pressure against a QBs blindside. Is it a coodincidence that our 2 best players in the secondary (Smith & Jones) both play on the half of the field that's behind Cameron Wake? Maybe. Maybe not.

The choices you'll have boil down to these 3:

A) Re-sign Randy Starks, keep Odrick at DE and add help to the secondary in the form of a CB or FS if possible.

B) Let Starks go, kick Odrick inside to DT, rely on Vernon and add help to the secondary in the form of a CB or FS if possible.

C) Let Starks go, kick Odrick inside to DT, leave the secondary temporarily alone and add a premier rush-DE high in the draft to strengthen and balance the front-7.

Remember though, if you use up that 1st rounder on a DE, you still leave WR & FS as spots in need of help. I could live with a mid-rounder at WR and Clemons at FS this year. I could deal with Sammy Watkins holding up a Dolphins jersey in April of 2014! Laughing

However, if we want that FS or WR, do we feel confident enough to leave Odrick at DE? Do we feel confident enough that Odrick could replace Starks? Do we feel confident enough to roll with Vernon by himself at DE?

We'll need the rest of the season to see what happens with these guys. Starks won't play this way all season long. Vernon will get more snaps and develop, especially with Cameron Wake setting an example and helping.

We'll see! Smile
draconis1410

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our front 4 has been pretty solid so far from what I've seen. Vernon has been getting better as the year goes.

So I think we could get real good on D, if we get Manti Te'o in there as one of those "ray lewis" types. emotional and strong and can do everything at the LB position.

What do you guys think of the chances of getting him. I've been really impressed by his place at ND the past few years.
DOLFAN016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draconis1410 wrote:
I think our front 4 has been pretty solid so far from what I've seen. Vernon has been getting better as the year goes.

So I think we could get real good on D, if we get Manti Te'o in there as one of those "ray lewis" types. emotional and strong and can do everything at the LB position.

What do you guys think of the chances of getting him. I've been really impressed by his place at ND the past few years.

If we got Te'o we could be extremely good in the next couple of years. I'm a Hurricanes fan and can honestly say that man comes to play every week. We would then have our field general on each side of the ball with him and Tanny. Both our offense and defense could have the potential to be well above average very quick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Well I for one will not attempt to dabble in the area of NCAA expertise that some of you do but ...
As for early discussions about whom to draft I have to single out 2 positions & hope that they are addressed early.

In no particular order

TE &/or OLB

I disagree that a WR should take presedence over a STUD TE in this Off when what we really need is
another "3rd rnd Brian Hartline".

I disagree that what we need is another DE/DL
What we need is another explosive OLB that can reek havoc after gm planing for C. Wake.
Had we been able to apply more consistent pressure on both sancho & Kolb we would have won both of those gms.

If we can acquire that talent early in the draft the DL will eventually create their own sacks not before.

sug

As other's have pointed out....TE is such a hit and miss position in the draft...as much as I think a Stud TE could open up even more options for Tannehill...Clay showed that...I just don't know if its something the Phins should chance on in the 1st round.

OLB....Right now the back as playing great and would rather look into Guard, Safety and CB before OLB (unless he is the BPA)

There isn't a TE worth a first round pick that I have seen in the upcoming draft.

There isn't a elite pass catcher in this draft (WR or TE)....Woods would be great late in the first round, but if the Phins are looking for their AJ Green or Megatron then they will need to wait until 2014....

Are you looking at JRs as well ?

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:
Well I for one will not attempt to dabble in the area of NCAA expertise that some of you do but ...
As for early discussions about whom to draft I have to single out 2 positions & hope that they are addressed early.

In no particular order

TE &/or OLB

I disagree that a WR should take presedence over a STUD TE in this Off when what we really need is

What we need is another explosive OLB that can reek havoc after gm planing for C. Wake.
Had we been able to apply more consistent pressure on both sancho & Kolb we would have won both of those gms.

If we can acquire that talent early in the draft the DL will eventually create their own sacks not before.

sug

As other's have pointed out....TE is such a hit and miss position in the draft...as much as I think a Stud TE could open up even more options for Tannehill...Clay showed that...I just don't know if its something the Phins should chance on in the 1st round.

OLB....Right now the back as playing great and would rather look into Guard, Safety and CB before OLB (unless he is the BPA)

There isn't a TE worth a first round pick that I have seen in the upcoming draft.

There isn't a elite pass catcher in this draft (WR or TE)....Woods would be great late in the first round, but if the Phins are looking for their AJ Green or Megatron then they will need to wait until 2014....

There are some real talented pass catchers in this draft in terms of physical talent. Assuming these guys come out, you have:
Justin Hunter:
6'4" 205 to 210
Rumored 4.3 to 4.4 speed preinjury

Marcus Davis:
6'4" 230
4.37 40 and 44 inch VJ in Spring at VT

Da'Rick Rogers:
6'3" 220
4.3 to 4.4 speed
36 to 40 inch VJ

Then you have Keenan Allen who looks to be another 6'3" WR with 4.4 speed, good YAC ability and strong hands. None are Seniors but all are extremely talented and draft eligible. None are AJ Green or Megatron prospects although Hunter has that potential once he's 100% but they all have really high ceilings.

I'll say this much, remember Gavin Escobar from San Diego State. He was one of the most productive TEs in the nation as a sophomore in 2011. His stats have taken a hit this year with Lindley leaving but he still is leading his team in catches and yards. Very underrated prospect. Guy is 6'5" to 6'6" in the 245 to 250 range with the speed to separate vertically(4.55 to 4.65 imo) and he has GREAT hands. His hands just engulf the ball. He has shown the ability to make catches in traffic with defenders on him. Big, athletic body with excellent ball-skills and great hands.

He's a Junior but if he does come out, he's a great talent that will likely be under-drafted. I have a big time man-crush on him because I love the way he catches the ball. He is amazing at adjusting to poorly thrown passes on the fly, catches everything in his massive catch radius and can go up and make tough catches in traffic. Guy has the potential to be a stud NFL receiving TE and a major red-zone weapon. On top of that, he's a willing blocker who understands angles. He won't push guys off the LOS but he understands how to seal defenders and use his body to his advantage. Might be my favorite TE in this draft.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphinologist wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:

In no particular order

TE &/or OLB

sug

Are you looking at JRs as well ?

Yes....the two most talented receivers in college are Sophomores: Watkins out of Clemson and Lee out of USC.

I'm not saying that the players available in this draft will not turn out to be studs, but I do not see any of them being worth a top 10 pick.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
bpastermack wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
SUG wrote:

In no particular order

TE &/or OLB

sug

There are some real talented pass catchers in this draft in terms of physical talent. Assuming these guys come out, you have:
Justin Hunter:
6'4" 205 to 210
Rumored 4.3 to 4.4 speed preinjury

Marcus Davis:
6'4" 230
4.37 40 and 44 inch VJ in Spring at VT

Da'Rick Rogers:
6'3" 220
4.3 to 4.4 speed
36 to 40 inch VJ

Then you have Keenan Allen who looks to be another 6'3" WR with 4.4 speed, good YAC ability and strong hands. None are Seniors but all are extremely talented and draft eligible. None are AJ Green or Megatron prospects although Hunter has that potential once he's 100% but they all have really high ceilings.

I'll say this much, remember Gavin Escobar from San Diego State. He was one of the most productive TEs in the nation as a sophomore in 2011. His stats have taken a hit this year with Lindley leaving but he still is leading his team in catches and yards. Very underrated prospect. Guy is 6'5" to 6'6" in the 245 to 250 range with the speed to separate vertically(4.55 to 4.65 imo) and he has GREAT hands. His hands just engulf the ball. He has shown the ability to make catches in traffic with defenders on him. Big, athletic body with excellent ball-skills and great hands.

He's a Junior but if he does come out, he's a great talent that will likely be under-drafted. I have a big time man-crush on him because I love the way he catches the ball. He is amazing at adjusting to poorly thrown passes on the fly, catches everything in his massive catch radius and can go up and make tough catches in traffic. Guy has the potential to be a stud NFL receiving TE and a major red-zone weapon. On top of that, he's a willing blocker who understands angles. He won't push guys off the LOS but he understands how to seal defenders and use his body to his advantage. Might be my favorite TE in this draft.

We would never draft Rogers. Philbin is adamant that team chemistry and high character guys are all he wants. That's why he got rid of Marshall and Johnson.

I'm not a fan of Hunter. He has the measurables, but he doesn't pop out on tape as anything special. And that's playing next to other great receivers and with a great QB.

I haven't seen any film on the other guy yet. And the TE prospect sounds like he has the potential to be the guy we are looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe most of our picks will be invested in the following positions: WR, TE, OG, DE, CB, FS

Some players that I want the Dolphins to target:

1st Round
Bjoern Werner - DE - Florida St.
Sam Montgomery - DE - LSU
Keenan Allen - WR - Cal
Eric Reid - FS - LSU
Robert Woods - WR - USC
Xavier Rhodes - CB - Florida St.
Chance Warmack - OG - Alabama

2nd Round
Jonathan Cooper - OG - NC
T.J. McDonald - USC
Terrance Williams - WR - Baylor
David Amerson - CB- NC St.
Chase Thomas - OLB - Stanford
Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
Stedman Bailey - WR - WVU
Damontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M
Carrington Byndom - CB - Texas

Later
Wes Horton - DE - USC
Logan Ryan - CB - Rutgers
Christian Fauria - TE - UCLA
Jake Stoneburner - TE - Ohio St.
D.J. Swearinger - FS - S. Carolina
coors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find somewhere to ask the question that I have.. so if this is in the worst place I apologize.

The question that I have is.. how come during Hard Knocks I literally don't remember seeing Brian Hartline a single time in any of the episodes. I have wondered why, because in Hard Knocks the WR corps was a big story line to follow. Come into the season, and Hartline had been doing great, and IIRC at one point even lead the league in receiving (maybe he still is? not sure..). Looks like he is yalls best receiver, very consistent.. so why did he literally get no face time the entire time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
I couldn't find somewhere to ask the question that I have.. so if this is in the worst place I apologize.

The question that I have is.. how come during Hard Knocks I literally don't remember seeing Brian Hartline a single time in any of the episodes. I have wondered why, because in Hard Knocks the WR corps was a big story line to follow. Come into the season, and Hartline had been doing great, and IIRC at one point even lead the league in receiving (maybe he still is? not sure..). Looks like he is yalls best receiver, very consistent.. so why did he literally get no face time the entire time?

He was hurt most of the training camp and pre season.

#TeamMeowgatron

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: