Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Minnesota Golden Gophers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 99, 100, 101  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
The key was certainly the defense, and they were up to the challenge...that was the best I've seen the defense play in years.

I caught some of the game, but to watch one of my players I coached in high school for Syracuse (#52) and your defense looks scary... Shocked , and no offense, they look extremely athletic, who is your strength coach, where did you get these guys from? Especially the defensive line, I was very impressed

Or it could just be the uni's.... Laughing

PSN: bench515lbs
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the new unis this year...they've improved them dramatically. As far as the strength coach, I think they've come a long way in the last couple of years. The strength coach, like many of Kill's coaches, has been with him for years. In fact, he's been Kill's strength coach since '94, when Kill was at Saginaw Valley State.

A few of the DL are still Brewster recruits (Wilhite and Hageman most notably) so they certainly had talent, it's just that now they have a coach who knows how to use it.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I love the new unis this year...they've improved them dramatically.

The new uniforms are outstanding imo. They look great and they blend in some tradition with the Ski-U-Mah. It'll only help recruiting too. Coach Kill is going to do some great things for the Uiniversity of Minnesota. I just hope he sticks around for then entire process.
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game 5 GOPHERS (4-0) vs. Iowa Hawkeyes (2-2)

at
When: 11:00 AM CT September 29th
Where: Kinnick Stadium (Iowa City, IA)
TV/Radio: ESPN2 (TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio)

Floyd of Rosedale

Analysis: Big Ten Opener. I'm used to this being the Big Ten closing game for the Gophers, instead of the opener, so this is going to be different. The Gophers will be attempting to retain Floyd for the 3rd straight year. The last time that happened was from 1998-2000. The Gophers, however, have not won at Kinnick since 1999, for a total of 5 straight. This is the Gophers' first 5-game winning streak since 2005 (first 4 this year and the last game last year). DL Wilhite leads the Big Ten in sacks with 4.5, which is more than any Gopher had all last year (Gary Tinsley with 4). The Gophers' QB combo of Gray/Shortell have been the 2nd most efficient passing team in the conference and 19th nationally with a 160.2 rating. The Gophers defense is 24th nationally in pass defense and 21st overall nationally. The defense also is tied for 1st nationally in INTs (with 7). As far as the Hawkeyes, 3 of their 4 games have been decided within a FG. That bodes well to happen against as the last 2 Iowa-Minnesota games have been decided by a total of 4 pts. This will be Iowa's Homecoming game and also Kirk Ferentz' 200th game as head coach. I suspect this will be another close contest with the Hawkeyes taking back Floyd by a score of 28-24.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointed, but certainly not surprised with the outcome at Kinnick. There were too many things going against the Gophers karma-wise for them to win in Iowa City. I would have liked them to make it a little more competitive, but I think they'll get over this one quickly and make a better showing in a couple of weeks when they face Northwestern.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game 6 GOPHERS (4-1) vs. Northwestern Wildcats (5-1)

vs
When: 11:00 AM CT, October 13th, 2012
Where: TCF Bank Stadium (Minneapolis, MN)
TV/Radio: ESPN2 (TV), KFAN 100.3, Sirius 113, XM 196 (Radio)

Analysis: Gophers Homecoming Game. The Gophers return to action after a bye week. The Gophers have lost 2 straight to the Wildcats and have not lost 3 in a row to them since 1994-96. The last time the Gophers beat Northwestern in their homecoming game was in 2002 (they lost the last time they face NW in homecoming in 2010). Northwestern started out 5-0 before losing to Penn State last week. The Wildcats' offense is led by Kain Colter, who can play QB and RB. He has rushed for 395 yds and 7 TDs, caught 12 passes for 148 yds, while also passing for 369 yds and 2 TDs. For the Gophers to win, Shortell is going to have to play signficantly better than he did at Kinnick. I think he can do it...the Gophers will win 31-20 over the Wildcats.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
yupyup

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Game 6 GOPHERS (4-1) vs. Northwestern Wildcats (5-1)

vs
When: 11:00 AM CT, October 13th, 2012
TV/Radio: ESPN2 (TV), KFAN 100.3, Sirius 113, XM 196 (Radio)

Analysis: Gophers Homecoming Game. The Gophers return to action after a bye week. The Gophers have lost 2 straight to the Wildcats and have not lost 3 in a row to them since 1994-96. The last time the Gophers beat Northwestern in their homecoming game was in 2002 (they lost the last time they face NW in homecoming in 2010). Northwestern started out 5-0 before losing to Penn State last week. The Wildcats' offense is led by Kain Colter, who can play QB and RB. He has rushed for 395 yds and 7 TDs, caught 12 passes for 148 yds, while also passing for 369 yds and 2 TDs. For the Gophers to win, Shortell is going to have to play signficantly better than he did at Kinnick. I think he can do it...the Gophers will win 31-20 over the Wildcats.

Wow he's versatile, that's awesome.

Aaron Rodgers becomes a top 10 QB again [X]
USC looks like a top 15 team []
Todd Gurley becomes a household name []
Eastern Walrus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the game. I don't want to make up excuses but besides the few huge run plays the D played very solid and broke up some good passes. Fumbling on the opening kick off and the INT both lead to points. We could have won that game

In stadium news, the bank has been LOUD the last 2 games that I have attended. Its causing false starts and delay of games, I love it
2013 Adopt a Minnesota Viking - Xavier Rhodes - CB - #29

XBL - Eastern Walrus
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game 7 GOPHERS (4-2) at Wisconsin Badgers (5-2)

at
When: 11:00 AM CT October 20th
Where: Camp Randall Stadium (Madison, WI)
TV/Radio: ESPNU (TV), KFAN 100.3, Sirius 134, XM 194 (Radio)

Paul Bunyan's Axe

Analysis: The Gophers have not won in Madison since 10/22/94 and their last victory over Wisconsin period was in 2003. The Gophers have lost 2 in a row, but have shown defensive improvement in the 2nd half of both games, allowing 0 points in those games. The Badgers are led by RB Montee Ball, who has 816 yds rushing and 11 TDs this season. The Wisconsin QBs Joel Stave and Danny O'Brien split snaps this seasonwith Stave passing for 871 yds and 5 TDs and O'Brien for 479 yds and 3 TDs. My personal opinion is that it would be a miracle for the Gophers to keep this game within 2 scores. I believe the Badgers will win 35-10.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about as close a prediction as I'll probably ever get. It's unfortunate that I didn't get to watch the game, to see how Phil did in his debut. I'll admit, I didn't want to see him play this year at all, but I'm okay with the burning of his redshirt as long as he starts the rest of the year.

For the Gophers to make a bowl this season though, they need to beat Purdue this next weekend and then hope they can either knock off the Illini (on the road) or the Spartans (at home), because I think they have little chance of beating Michigan or Nebraska.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Cali2Wisco

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
That's about as close a prediction as I'll probably ever get. It's unfortunate that I didn't get to watch the game, to see how Phil did in his debut. I'll admit, I didn't want to see him play this year at all, but I'm okay with the burning of his redshirt as long as he starts the rest of the year.

For the Gophers to make a bowl this season though, they need to beat Purdue this next weekend and then hope they can either knock off the Illini (on the road) or the Spartans (at home), because I think they have little chance of beating Michigan or Nebraska.

Nice call!
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game 8 GOPHERS (4-3) vs Purdue Boilermakers (3-4)

vs.
When: 2:40 PM CT October 27th
TV/Radio: BTN (TV), KFAN 100.3, Sirius 135, XM 194 (Radio)

Analysis: The Gophers lead the all-time series 33-32-3, but the Boilermakers have won the last 2. QB Philip Nelson made his collegiate debut last week, finishing 13-24 for 149 yds, 2 TDs, and rushed for 67 yds on 16 carries. Purdue has also used 3 QBs this season, Caleb TerBush, Rob Henry, and Robert Marve. TerBush has been the most successul, passing for 946 yds and 10 TDs. The positive thing for the Gophers is that their pass defense has been their strength, while Purdue is mainly a passing team. If they can remain staunch in their pass defense, they have a decent shot to win this game, especially if Nelson builds upon last week's game. I think the Gophers will win 27-21.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Lil Uno

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think about Phillip Nelson? He looked pretty good in his debut, does have the starting QB spot down next year or should it be an open battle.

Good Luck Chris Cook.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
What do you guys think about Phillip Nelson? He looked pretty good in his debut, does have the starting QB spot down next year or should it be an open battle.

I haven't got the chance to watch him play yet, but I suspect that unless he gets injured he's the starting QB until he shows otherwise. Shortell had his opportunity and didn't grab it, so he'll likely be the backup from here on out (with Leidner also in the mix as backup).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding game by the Gophers today. Think we might finally have a QB that can carry this team.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Page 76 of 101

Jump to: