Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thanks Chipper.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biggio7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hats off to Chipper on a great career. Genuinely a quality player and person throughout his career. He will be missed and the type of player he is, is a dying breed, a player staying with the same team for their career. Along with all of the memories he has given the game, I'll remember him, also, for trying to play Craig Biggio's last at-bat ground ball to him into a single. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those players you wish could play forever. Class act all around!! 1st ballot HOF'er.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipper is the best modern day example of how the game is supposed to be played. He gave the game is heart and soul, every pitch, every play, everyday.

The game is a bit worse today, without him.

Thanks Chipper. You always gave Braves fans hope. You gave the rest of us a shining example of how to give our best everyday.

Baseball will miss you.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy retirement. You were good.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
klyon7634

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chipper had a great career. I sucks it had to end the way it did. I was always a fan of Chipper and the first glove my dad ever bought me was a chipper jones!!

Seahawks~ Yankees~ Knicks~ Syracuse Orange

#JDI
StRawz11

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klyon7634 wrote:
Chipper had a great career. I sucks it had to end the way it did. I was always a fan of Chipper and the first glove my dad ever bought me was a chipper jones!!

So was mine, but it broke in a week so I got a Cal glove

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry "The Met Killer" Jones

One of my favorite players. One of the reasons I started playing 3rd base in little league, well also because I couldnt play SS (my cousin held that position down)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many things that I loved about Chipper was that he wasn't actually a natural 3rd basemen. He grew up and came up as a Shortstop, and in the fall of 93 when he was a September call-up played a little SS, but mostly pinch-hit. Before the 94 season, they wanted to switch him to OF because Ron Gant got in a motorcycle accident in the offseason and they needed a replacement OFer, and they already had people entrenched at SS and 3B (Pendleton at 3rd, I think Blauser was still there at SS). But Chipper tore his ACL in spring training and missed the whole season, and after the 94 strike/season Pendleton left as a free agent, creating the opening for Chipper at 3rd. Always have wondered what would have happened had Chipper not tore his ACL in ST. Maybe his career wouldn't have been nearly as good (that's my theory).
Purple-Pride07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He made his debut on September 11, 1993... Nearly two decades. I can't even begin to emphasize just how much that means. That says it all, really. You don't play in the big leagues for nearly 20 years unless you're very good, very durable, very consistent, and very complete. Chipper was the whole package and he can enjoy retirement and a subsequent Hall of Fame invitation in due time.

"When a team outgrows individual performance and learns team confidence, excellence becomes a reality."
--Joe Paterno.
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always a favorite of mine. He will be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up watching the Braves (loved it when they were on TBS every night here in Pittsburgh) and he and Fred McGriff were my heroes. I can't tell you how many Pirates / Braves game I saw here in Pittsburgh. My family and I went on a vacation to Florida when I was 9; and we stopped in Atlanta on the way down just to go to Fulton County Stadium to see a Braves game. Ironically, they played the Pirates that night Laughing

I was lucky enough to see the first two games of their games against the Pirates a few weeks ago. The place went nuts every time he came up to bat. He got a standing ovation during his at-bats the first night. Even Pirates fans were standing and going crazy.

When he didn't play the second night, the Braves got boo'ed all night; especially when he didn't pinch-hit Laughing

I remember being young and always worrying about the day when everyone does those teams in the 90's finally quit playing baseball. I figured Chipper would be the last; just didn't want to see this day come.

Thank you Chipper!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: