Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bill Musgrave

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GoneWithTheWind


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 1180
Location: Planet Namek
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Bill Musgrave Reply with quote

Hey guys, Bill Musgrave makes me want to tear my hair out with his conservative playcalling, swing, screens and five yard out routes. The only time he ever tries to stretch the field in the passing game is when we're behind which is always when our offense looks best.

Was he always super-conservative frustrating as hell OC for you guys too or did we just get pooped on?
_________________

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

It's so empty living behind these Cassel walls.

Vikings QB Wishlist

1. Derek Carr
2. A.J. McCarron
3. Aaron Murray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 13275
Location: Cartersville, GA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Musgrave Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Hey guys, Bill Musgrave makes me want to tear my hair out with his conservative playcalling, swing, screens and five yard out routes. The only time he ever tries to stretch the field in the passing game is when we're behind which is always when our offense looks best.

Was he always super-conservative frustrating as hell OC for you guys too or did we just get pooped on?

He was QB coach here, but he and Mularkey (now head coach in Jax, wa our OC when Musgrave was here) was incredibly conservative. As a duo they made it hard to watch games sometimes but we didn't have a problem with short passes, more of running on first and second and throwing on third. He'll we even wanted some screens when they were here. All in all he is a conservative dude and will be that way. Good thing you have a top / RB in the league if not the best and some WRs that can make moves.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoneWithTheWind


Joined: 01 Jun 2012
Posts: 1180
Location: Planet Namek
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Musgrave Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Hey guys, Bill Musgrave makes me want to tear my hair out with his conservative playcalling, swing, screens and five yard out routes. The only time he ever tries to stretch the field in the passing game is when we're behind which is always when our offense looks best.

Was he always super-conservative frustrating as hell OC for you guys too or did we just get pooped on?

He was QB coach here, but he and Mularkey (now head coach in Jax, wa our OC when Musgrave was here) was incredibly conservative. As a duo they made it hard to watch games sometimes but we didn't have a problem with short passes, more of running on first and second and throwing on third. He'll we even wanted some screens when they were here. All in all he is a conservative dude and will be that way. Good thing you have a top / RB in the league if not the best and some WRs that can make moves.


Yea AP has bailed him out a lot. I'm only really complaining because I'm afraid Ponder won't get the chance to really deveolp because of the playcalling. Mostly I'm just pissed about tonights game. Enjoy Dirk Koetter.
_________________

Shoutout to JTagg7754 on the sig!

It's so empty living behind these Cassel walls.

Vikings QB Wishlist

1. Derek Carr
2. A.J. McCarron
3. Aaron Murray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam9


Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Posts: 13275
Location: Cartersville, GA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Musgrave Reply with quote

GoneWithTheWind wrote:
adam9 wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Hey guys, Bill Musgrave makes me want to tear my hair out with his conservative playcalling, swing, screens and five yard out routes. The only time he ever tries to stretch the field in the passing game is when we're behind which is always when our offense looks best.

Was he always super-conservative frustrating as hell OC for you guys too or did we just get pooped on?

He was QB coach here, but he and Mularkey (now head coach in Jax, wa our OC when Musgrave was here) was incredibly conservative. As a duo they made it hard to watch games sometimes but we didn't have a problem with short passes, more of running on first and second and throwing on third. He'll we even wanted some screens when they were here. All in all he is a conservative dude and will be that way. Good thing you have a top / RB in the league if not the best and some WRs that can make moves.


Yea AP has bailed him out a lot. I'm only really complaining because I'm afraid Ponder won't get the chance to really deveolp because of the playcalling. Mostly I'm just pissed about tonights game. Enjoy Dirk Koetter.

Lol thanks.

Yeah and Maty Ryan's development was hindered by Mularkey and Misgrave too. It's hard to develop when you run the ball so much and don't throw the ball down field a lot. Hopefully you guys will find a happy medium with Musgrave or let him go.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
terrell123


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 4610
Location: Atlanta
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Musgrave Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
adam9 wrote:
GoneWithTheWind wrote:
Hey guys, Bill Musgrave makes me want to tear my hair out with his conservative playcalling, swing, screens and five yard out routes. The only time he ever tries to stretch the field in the passing game is when we're behind which is always when our offense looks best.

Was he always super-conservative frustrating as hell OC for you guys too or did we just get pooped on?

He was QB coach here, but he and Mularkey (now head coach in Jax, wa our OC when Musgrave was here) was incredibly conservative. As a duo they made it hard to watch games sometimes but we didn't have a problem with short passes, more of running on first and second and throwing on third. He'll we even wanted some screens when they were here. All in all he is a conservative dude and will be that way. Good thing you have a top / RB in the league if not the best and some WRs that can make moves.


Yea AP has bailed him out a lot. I'm only really complaining because I'm afraid Ponder won't get the chance to really deveolp because of the playcalling. Mostly I'm just pissed about tonights game. Enjoy Dirk Koetter.

Lol thanks.

Yeah and Maty Ryan's development was hindered by Mularkey and Misgrave too. It's hard to develop when you run the ball so much and don't throw the ball down field a lot. Hopefully you guys will find a happy medium with Musgrave or let him go.
Not saying you're wrong, but most GM's think they were both great developing Matt. Especially the ones in Jacksonville and Minnesota. Wink I think they did farely well myself. You dont want a young qb trying to do too much in his 1st couple of years. However, it was time for BOTH to go. Especially Mularkey. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swoosh


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 8577
Location: U of O
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with terrell here. Mularkey and Musgrave did an outstanding job developing Ryan. Credit to them. But after four years, Ryan was ready to take that next step and they still had the same vanilla offense that was perfect for him as he was getting acquainted with the NFL. The same offense that did wonders for him was holding him up and it was finally time to make the change. If Musgrave is like Mularkey, he is a good coordinator for a young QB. Eventually, however, a change will need to be made to let Ponder fly so to speak.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coors


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 7430
Location: DC via ATL
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Musgrave was the QB coach under Mike Mularkey when he was our Offensive Coordinator.. it does not surprise me one bit at all that you mentioned the word "conservative" in your original post. Mularkey was a very conservative play caller for our offense when he was the OC.. finally this season being our first without Mularkey as our OC, with Dirk Koetter now calling the shots.. our offense has been like night and day compared to the last 5-6 seasons under Mularkey.. our offense has totally moved away from the "conservative" style and we have most definitely become more aggressive especially through the air and all of our play calling in general. Only less than half of the season has gone by so far with our new OC.. and were now 7-0 with our offense leading the way... I think a lot of us here in Atlanta believe that it was Mularkey and his schemes and or game plans are what was holding Matt Ryan back. My guess is that for you guys, Musgrave is doing the same things for yalls offense that we had to endure over the last 5-6 seasons.. looks like Musgrave is a protege of Mularkey and both believe in the same concepts and playcaling...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group