Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cordarelle Patterson - Most Athletic Since Moss
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rich7sena


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 3036
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
The Cryptkeeper wrote:
This is no knock on Patterson because he is a great athlete, but it's a stretch to put him next to Moss. Not when, since Randy, we've had Megatron, Percy, Julio, and Matt Jones come out. Patterson's athletic- those guys were freaks when they came out.


Calvin and Julios athleticism is so overrated, especially Calvin. Guy has zero short area quickness to speak of, and its one of the most important traits.

Watch the espn clip. Patterson is ridiculous.


Calvin Johnson is a 240 lb WR with 4.35 speed and a 42" vertical...

No one is overrating his athleticism.

When you say he's got "zero short area quickness" and that "its one of the most important traits," you're acting like he isn't one of the top 3 best receivers in the NFL already.

Just because he isn't running pivot routes all day like Wes Welker (like Randy Moss never did) doesn't make him a great player.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 43862
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyler735 wrote:
I view him as a Percy Harvin type player. He is a threat catching, rushing, and returning. He is a bit bigger than Harvin, but has that same multi-threat ability to score whenever he touches the ball.


I agree with this. My issue right now is I don't think he uses his size well at WR and he's not that polished. However, he also has unbelievable YAC skills and you just want to get the ball in his hands.

He'd fit my Rams offense well since we throw a lot of quicker routes designed to allow the WR to get YAC. If he was available with our pick in the 2nd, I'd definitely take him.

PowerElite wrote:
I'm not sold on him. His speed is suspect because I haven't seen him outrun any known fast NFL prospects. Teams are also under prepared for him because you generally don't gameplan for underclassmen or JC transfers. I expect for his speed at the combine to prove underwhelming similar to returnmen/receivers like Peter Warrick, Joe Adams, and Jeremy Maclin. Patterson's best highlights feature his openfield running ability against college athletes. They don't show him torching and blowing by known fast NFL prospect defensive backs for receptions. We have to take the knowledge of the past and apply it to guys like this to avoid bust situations. It's obvious that he runs poor routes so he is developmental in that area. You combine that with questionable speed to translate his strengths to the NFL level and his value is diminished. You don't draft a 4.5 type developmental receiver at the top of the 1st round who simply is known for crossing the openfield/cutting it back against college players. Reggie Bush didn't even translate that stuff to the NFL. Laughing


His speed isn't suspect. He's a 4.38 to 4.45 40 type imo.
_________________

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 20476
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson has field shrinking speed - covers a lot of ground in a short period of time. If he is even a half step faster outside of pads, he is going to run in the 4.2's at 6'3.

He will be a combine superfreak, I will be stunned if his highlight & combine #s drop him out of the top 10.

Rich7sena wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
The Cryptkeeper wrote:
This is no knock on Patterson because he is a great athlete, but it's a stretch to put him next to Moss. Not when, since Randy, we've had Megatron, Percy, Julio, and Matt Jones come out. Patterson's athletic- those guys were freaks when they came out.


Calvin and Julios athleticism is so overrated, especially Calvin. Guy has zero short area quickness to speak of, and its one of the most important traits.

Watch the espn clip. Patterson is ridiculous.


Calvin Johnson is a 240 lb WR with 4.35 speed and a 42" vertical...

No one is overrating his athleticism.

When you say he's got "zero short area quickness" and that "its one of the most important traits," you're acting like he isn't one of the top 3 best receivers in the NFL already.

Just because he isn't running pivot routes all day like Wes Welker (like Randy Moss never did) doesn't make him a great player.


Why do you think Calvin suddenly has literally stopped scoring? Guy can't do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIlWMmW5aKA&t=3m45s
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 20476
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8587156

Seriously everybody needs to see this. LMAO at the defense around 16-17 seconds into it - totally frozen by his all world speed and change of direction. The way he tears across the middle after making the catch - just explodes by the guy who has an obvious angle on him.

Going to rip it up in the pros. If he wasnt splitting targets with J Hunter, hed have even better highlights.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 43862
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are his highlights of him winning jump balls?
_________________

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 20476
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Where are his highlights of him winning jump balls?


Bray frankly throws very few of them this year. Bray hasnt thrown many good passes this year, so...

But Pattersons raw as a receiver. No way around it. He has the tools to be an elite but limited impact player from the get go, but not really a go to guy. Think a billionaires Desean Jackson, or maybe even Torrey Smith.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 43862
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Where are his highlights of him winning jump balls?


Bray frankly throws very few of them this year. Bray hasnt thrown many good passes this year, so...

But Pattersons raw as a receiver. No way around it. He has the tools to be an elite but limited impact player from the get go, but not really a go to guy. Think a billionaires Desean Jackson, or maybe even Torrey Smith.


I think he's more Brandon Marshall or an oversized Percy Harvin.
_________________

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldfishwars


Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 8151
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Where are his highlights of him winning jump balls?


I'm struggling to find any examples of plays where he's been asked to go up and fetch it. His YAC and end-around stuff is impressive, but an average 40 time and poor vertical could dent his stock - we all know he won't be afforded anything like the space he gets in College.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 43862
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Where are his highlights of him winning jump balls?


I'm struggling to find any examples of plays where he's been asked to go up and fetch it. His YAC and end-around stuff is impressive, but an average 40 time and poor vertical could dent his stock - we all know he won't be afforded anything like the space he gets in College.


Exactly. Patterson is an amazing YAC player and definitely has some wheels but he doesn't play his size.
_________________

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 20476
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Where are his highlights of him winning jump balls?


Bray frankly throws very few of them this year. Bray hasnt thrown many good passes this year, so...

But Pattersons raw as a receiver. No way around it. He has the tools to be an elite but limited impact player from the get go, but not really a go to guy. Think a billionaires Desean Jackson, or maybe even Torrey Smith.


I think he's more Brandon Marshall or an oversized Percy Harvin.


Percy works, Marshall is a pretty damn technically sound receiver, so I dont see the comparison. Harvin is an athlete that have to be creative with in order to get involved.

To be frank, he reminds of Julio Jones 2009. All he did was run underneath stuff and look very pedestrian on other routes. But the tools were all there. Pattersons similar right now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 43862
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
NextBigThing wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Where are his highlights of him winning jump balls?


Bray frankly throws very few of them this year. Bray hasnt thrown many good passes this year, so...

But Pattersons raw as a receiver. No way around it. He has the tools to be an elite but limited impact player from the get go, but not really a go to guy. Think a billionaires Desean Jackson, or maybe even Torrey Smith.


I think he's more Brandon Marshall or an oversized Percy Harvin.


Percy works, Marshall is a pretty damn technically sound receiver, so I dont see the comparison. Harvin is an athlete that have to be creative with in order to get involved.

To be frank, he reminds of Julio Jones 2009. All he did was run underneath stuff and look very pedestrian on other routes. But the tools were all there. Pattersons similar right now.


Julio was a whole lot more physical though and he was better on jump balls. But there's some comparison there.

On Marshall, yea, he is now. But he wasn't coming out of UCF.
_________________

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8670
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
I view him as a Percy Harvin type player. He is a threat catching, rushing, and returning. He is a bit bigger than Harvin, but has that same multi-threat ability to score whenever he touches the ball.


I agree with this. My issue right now is I don't think he uses his size well at WR and he's not that polished. However, he also has unbelievable YAC skills and you just want to get the ball in his hands.

He'd fit my Rams offense well since we throw a lot of quicker routes designed to allow the WR to get YAC. If he was available with our pick in the 2nd, I'd definitely take him.

PowerElite wrote:
I'm not sold on him. His speed is suspect because I haven't seen him outrun any known fast NFL prospects. Teams are also under prepared for him because you generally don't gameplan for underclassmen or JC transfers. I expect for his speed at the combine to prove underwhelming similar to returnmen/receivers like Peter Warrick, Joe Adams, and Jeremy Maclin. Patterson's best highlights feature his openfield running ability against college athletes. They don't show him torching and blowing by known fast NFL prospect defensive backs for receptions. We have to take the knowledge of the past and apply it to guys like this to avoid bust situations. It's obvious that he runs poor routes so he is developmental in that area. You combine that with questionable speed to translate his strengths to the NFL level and his value is diminished. You don't draft a 4.5 type developmental receiver at the top of the 1st round who simply is known for crossing the openfield/cutting it back against college players. Reggie Bush didn't even translate that stuff to the NFL. Laughing


His speed isn't suspect. He's a 4.38 to 4.45 40 type imo.


If he's a 4.45 guy then that destroys his draft stock when considering the type of plays he makes in college that would be totally negated in the NFL. The only reason people are talking about him is due to some perceived game breaking athleticism which helps him make plays in college that are only seldom made in the NFL by the most elite of athletes. The person who made this thread has even tried to sell Patterson as the most elite of athletes. 4.38-4.45 is not amongst the most elite of athletes. A 4.45 is a joke considering the sort of WR skill he will have to develop to be worth a 1st round pick in order to gain separation. He looks a lot like Jacoby Ford, but there is the chance that Patterson will be a bad NFL returnman like Jeremy Maclin simply because he runs upright and will get destroyed if he somehow can't adjust his style. Maclin couldn't adjust his style so he simply would always get hurt or avoid contact completely by diving to the ground or running out of bounds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NextBigThing


Joined: 26 Oct 2009
Posts: 20476
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterson is far faster, quicker, more agile, and more explosive than Jeremy Maclin...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 43862
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
tyler735 wrote:
I view him as a Percy Harvin type player. He is a threat catching, rushing, and returning. He is a bit bigger than Harvin, but has that same multi-threat ability to score whenever he touches the ball.


I agree with this. My issue right now is I don't think he uses his size well at WR and he's not that polished. However, he also has unbelievable YAC skills and you just want to get the ball in his hands.

He'd fit my Rams offense well since we throw a lot of quicker routes designed to allow the WR to get YAC. If he was available with our pick in the 2nd, I'd definitely take him.

PowerElite wrote:
I'm not sold on him. His speed is suspect because I haven't seen him outrun any known fast NFL prospects. Teams are also under prepared for him because you generally don't gameplan for underclassmen or JC transfers. I expect for his speed at the combine to prove underwhelming similar to returnmen/receivers like Peter Warrick, Joe Adams, and Jeremy Maclin. Patterson's best highlights feature his openfield running ability against college athletes. They don't show him torching and blowing by known fast NFL prospect defensive backs for receptions. We have to take the knowledge of the past and apply it to guys like this to avoid bust situations. It's obvious that he runs poor routes so he is developmental in that area. You combine that with questionable speed to translate his strengths to the NFL level and his value is diminished. You don't draft a 4.5 type developmental receiver at the top of the 1st round who simply is known for crossing the openfield/cutting it back against college players. Reggie Bush didn't even translate that stuff to the NFL. Laughing


His speed isn't suspect. He's a 4.38 to 4.45 40 type imo.


If he's a 4.45 guy then that destroys his draft stock when considering the type of plays he makes in college that would be totally negated in the NFL. The only reason people are talking about him is due to some perceived game breaking athleticism which helps him make plays in college that are only seldom made in the NFL by the most elite of athletes. The person who made this thread has even tried to sell Patterson as the most elite of athletes. 4.38-4.45 is not amongst the most elite of athletes. A 4.45 is a joke considering the sort of WR skill he will have to develop to be worth a 1st round pick in order to gain separation. He looks a lot like Jacoby Ford, but there is the chance that Patterson will be a bad NFL returnman like Jeremy Maclin simply because he runs upright and will get destroyed if he somehow can't adjust his style. Maclin couldn't adjust his style so he simply would always get hurt or avoid contact completely by diving to the ground or running out of bounds.


A 4.38 to 4.45 which is about the same range that guys like Torrey Smith, Chris Givens, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, etc. all fall into.

He's more the type like Harvin where he has great burst but his 20 to 40 yard speed isn't that special. It'll make his style work in the NFL. I mean it's not like the guy is playing D-II football. He's playing in the SEC.

So I disagree that it destroys his draft stock. I also disagree with the thread title and the belief that he's a top 10 pick. To me, right now, he's a early 2nd type player.
_________________

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8670
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NextBigThing wrote:
Patterson is far faster, quicker, more agile, and more explosive than Jeremy Maclin...


Yeah I already know how this works. You throw in the garbage can the fact that many people considered Maclin a Top 10 prospect during his final season in college in favor of the new shiny toy named Patterson who a good portion of people talk about OUTSIDE of the 1st round consideration. Both couldn't run routes as college juniors...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 4 of 21

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group