Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL paid for brain injuries, denied link to football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
The only way to eliminate concussions is to prevent hits to the head entirely. It's really that simple. If the NFL truly cared about the safety of human beings, they would shut down entirely.

I'm not saying that I want that, nor that it should happen; I just think they should stop trying to BS everyone.

A good number of concussions are caused by player's heads hitting the ground to hard. Eliminating hits is the only way to eliminate concussions, as of right now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

concussions are a result a the brain being rattled around inside your skull

There is NEVER going to be a way to eliminate this, EVER

Even if a player gets hit in the chest, there head whipping forward could cause a concussion, or like another poster stated, you can NEVER prevent their head from hitting the ground.

Sorry to say this, but the current players know the risk, its their choice to play or not

The older players have a case to be made, being lied to repeatedly is a major issue and Im sure the NFL will lose this one.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:

Sorry to say this, but the current players know the risk, its their choice to play or not

The older players have a case to be made, being lied to repeatedly is a major issue and Im sure the NFL will lose this one.
Couldn't agree more. If you are afraid of head injuries and brain damage, quit, walk away, dont play another down. The older players had no info on the concussion bit, but the current guys do. With every job there is a danger or possible long term problem, if you don't like it, quit.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB Connoisseur wrote:
.... BUT THE NFL WOULD NEVER TRY TO COVER ANYTHING UP AND OR FAKE EVIDENCE!

Absolutely not. Neither would a team and/or players accused of anything. Right? Shhh

CK on the sig
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
Going to be interesting to see how everything plays out now that this is in the open...

No NFL player is going to care, I guarentee it. They'll go on playing, leading with their heads, and doing their best to cover up their concussions. I couldn't care less if the NFL covered up information or is using the "player safety" line as a PR move. Players don't care about player ssafety so I'm surely not and this whole thing is way overblown.
lionslicer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarcastaball here we come.
phinmun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:

Couldn't agree more. If you are afraid of head injuries and brain damage, quit, walk away, dont play another down. The older players had no info on the concussion bit, but the current guys do. With every job there is a danger or possible long term problem, if you don't like it, quit.

I agree as well.

Empathy? Yes.

Sympathy? No.

I think even the older players understood innately what the risk was via the experience Boxers and fighters have faced for untold years.

This is not a normal job. There are huge health risks which come with the territory. There are huge profits and gains unlike virtually any other normal job. In no other capacity can this many people without meaningful education make this much money.

As someone said to me recently, I believe it can be summed up as this:

Modern Day Gladiators.
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All NFL players are aware that they're trading long-term health for the potential to make a lot of money. Let's not act like this is Rome and the "modern day gladiators" are doing their work for pennies. They get paid generously for their risk.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad that information is becoming more mainstream. I've been posting about the NFL's contradictions and coverups involving concussions for a while now and am probably the most vocal critic of how they handled it on this board.

Today's players have the benefit of informed consent. Too many past players (at every level) didn't, and that's why I never hesitated to get on my soap box once I learned how deep the roots of the NFL's denial ran.
BenchSanchez

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have them wear racecar helmets.

Kidding. But the interior design of a football helmet isn't very impressive. Lets also remember that everyone but Peyton Manning wears a helmet too big for them and that will raise the risk of head injuries as your head wil move around more.

New York Jets Rutgers Scarlet Knights Brooklyn Nets New York Mets
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenchSanchez wrote:
Have them wear racecar helmets.

Kidding. But the interior design of a football helmet isn't very impressive. Lets also remember that everyone but Peyton Manning wears a helmet too big for them and that will raise the risk of head injuries as your head wil move around more.

Has nothing to do with what actually happens to their brain, The helmet protects bones and skin, but not their brain.

Imagine holding an egg in your hand. If you hold the egg tightly but not enough to break it that represents the helmet. Now shake the egg violently. This simulates getting rocked or hitting the ground. The yoke inside was not prevented for moving around and smashing into the side of the skull, that is what causes a concussion, until that is figured out (which will NEVER happen) this will continue to be a problem for ever.
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL was well aware of two hall of fame players who recklessly played without proper equipment.

Bill Hewitt was a talented E for the Bears and Steelers in the late 1930's to '40's. He played with no helmet. He died young in a one car accident. He looked far older than his years.

QB Bobby Layne played with no face mask until 1960. Was knocked out repeatedly. He was ordered by the NFL to wear proper helmets after that. He too died young after a life of celebration. His SB parties were said to exceed those of the winning team.

Football has always been a violent sport that since TR's time has been banning dangerous tactics. Over 700 players have died playing football, 80% were high school age and in practices, not games. And internal injuries were more common than head injuries.

The NFL has a team doctor's Association. It is a business that entertains.

Ban the most dangerous tactics, improve helmets and padding.

Women most commonly incurr brain injuries from soccer and cheerleading. Building pyramids and diving off trampolines or being head butted in a soccer game.

This is not a safe world.
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Going to be interesting to see how everything plays out now that this is in the open...

No NFL player is going to care, I guarentee it. They'll go on playing, leading with their heads, and doing their best to cover up their concussions. I couldn't care less if the NFL covered up information or is using the "player safety" line as a PR move. Players don't care about player ssafety so I'm surely not and this whole thing is way overblown.
This. Players hate being fined for illegal hits even when they know it was illegal. They can use better gear or not play at all if they wanted.

Sig bet
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
1WngdAngel wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

This. Players hate being fined for illegal hits even when they know it was illegal. They can use better gear or not play at all if they wanted.

Better gear won't help

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo wrote:
I do think former players are/were being a bit native if they honestly believed "the league's top medical experts for years consistently denied any link between the sport and long-term brain damage."

Really? A sport where you crash into 250+ pound men on a regular basis is going to have no long term effects on your brain? Even if you wear a helmet, it's obvious that you can still get your skull rattled pretty good or your "bell rung" as many players have experienced.

I'm not saying some weren't that stupid, but they can't all be that naive. Wink

One of the main problem areas is not the "skull rattler" type hit, but just the normal crashing into each other that comprises football. The accumulation of lots of small hits can be just as devastating as one big one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: