Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Willthethrill's mid-season offensive assessment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willthethrill_H

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Willthethrill's mid-season offensive assessment Reply with quote

Ok. So a 9-1 record is good right? Well, it's the best start this franchise has ever had so we have to give them credit where it's due.

On the other hand, we've had close games against the Scam's Panthers, the Raiders, and the most recent (don't know how you can call it a game, but) game against Arizona. Now if we look at these teams, they're not as horrid as their records suggest (especially the Cardinal's defense), but against harder opponents we would have lost.

Now, I do still believe that if we played our best game with our stars healthy, there's not a team in the NFL that can beat us, but this is far from the best football they can play.

One thing I've heard, and advocated myself, is a lot of blame going to Michael Turner for our poor offensive execution. Well, today we saw he's not the full problem. And don't be quick to jump in and say Matt Ryan was the obvious problem today. Yes, he did play like crap, but he still hit most of his throws. The one place I saw today that really showed to be a weakness was our offensive line...

There was continuous pressure on Matt Ryan throughout the game, causing a rattled Quarterback. I can't say exactly but I'm pretty sure 3 of the 5 INTs were tipped balls.

On the running side of the football, I saw today that Turner isn't the problem. The problem is the offensive line loses their battles early and often, causing Tuner to take literally 3 quarters to get into any sort of rhythm. And even though his weight and lack of explosiveness don't help the matter, we saw with JacQuizz that that's not the majority of the problem. Our line just can't get a consistent push and often at least one man gets beat letting someone in the backfield.

So the next time Turner gets stuffed for a loss, or Matt gets smacked and the ball falls into a defenders hands, check the offensive line first.

Now I'm not sure how something like this could be addressed midseason, but its obvious our offensive line needs to step up. Is Ovie on the free agent market? It seemed odd how far our running game dropped off after he left. And do you guys think its important enough to go after some guys in the offseason or the draft, and if so, which positions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And do you guys think its important enough to go after some guys in the offseason or the draft, and if so, which positions?

Add a quality free agent DB that is ready to go. Draft a RB (very deep draft class) and a young DE. Keep going with the program that got us here.
adam9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpicyMcHaggis wrote:
Quote:
And do you guys think its important enough to go after some guys in the offseason or the draft, and if so, which positions?

Add a quality free agent DB that is ready to go. Draft a RB (very deep draft class) and a young DE. Keep going with the program that got us here.

Don't forget draft a TE or sign one

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OG or even OT needs to be addressed in Free Agency. Grab a OL player late in the draft if necessary. Konz will be moved to Center where he needs to be. Dline should be addressed in the draft primarily unless there is a FA that is affordable. RB, TE and LB also need to be addressed through the Draft. I like our CB rotation tho. McClain def should be resigned if he hasnt been already. We do need a PR/KR tho. That should def be drafted. ANd I don't think it would hurt for us to either Draft a WR or get a FA WR that can fight for the #3 WR postion and battle Harry.

ROO to all the Nasty Que Dogs!! I love my Omega Psi Phi!!!
University of Georgia Class of 2008
Mekias

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the problems with our running game are (in order):

1) Lack of practice & game experience with the running game. I think we've pushed the new passing game so much that there just isn't enough time to work out the intricacies of a successful run game. Practice makes perfect and we've made the decision to concentrate on the passing game. It's hard for an O-line to be good at both.

2) Lack of talent on the O-line. We have a solid unit but it isn't full of stars by any means. McClure is getting older and we've largely missed on our draft picks in the past 5 years. That being said, a well run and coordinated O-line (full of average guys) is better than a line full of superstars who've never worked with each other.

3) Turner is taking a little longer to get up to full "battering ram" speed. A slow bowling ball is far easier to stop than a fast one. Once he gets going, he still looks impressive but it's easy to see that Turner isn't hitting the line very hard and is getting stopped much easier than in past years.

4) Poor blocking from Gonzalez & Polite. Gonzo has gotten steadily worse every year at run blocking. His pass catching more than makes up for this but it still drags down our run game. Polite wasn't very good while he was here and Cox had a bad first game against the Saints but he seemed to do better against the Cardinals.

5) All our backs are looking hesitant behind the line. I believe this one would sort itself out given more practice and greater confidence of our backs. I think they're half expecting to get hit at or behind the line.

6) We have a new offensive coordinator and maybe are still ironing out how to implement the run game into our new system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: