Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Safety Winston Guy suspended 4 Games (PED)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Safety Winston Guy suspended 4 Games (PED) Reply with quote

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000098505/article/winston-guy-of-seahawks-suspended-for-illegal-substances

Quote:
The league announced the suspension Tuesday. He will begin the suspension immediately and will be eligible to rejoin Seattle's active roster Dec. 17.

Guy's agent, Greg Linton, says the positive test was the result of an ingredient found in an over-the-counter supplement that his client took. He says Guy has no intentions of appealing his suspension and called it an innocent mistake.

The league never reveals what the substance was nor will they refute if a player makes a false claim. I think the "something in a protein powder" excuse is one we hear a lot and you can take it for what it's worth. I like Guy as a prospect but he hasn't been a huge contributor this season - just hope this is the last we hear from him and the NFL disciplinary committee.
TheoryofSeahawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ends up being such a gray area that I don't really know what is worth believing. The NFL has an extensive list of banned "supplements" and supposedly the list is available to every player, so you would think that guys should know exactly what they can and can't take. But between the guys who knowingly try to use stuff and hope they don't get caught and the ever-changing ingrediants in these workout supplements that may or may not even be on the labels, who can tell which is which. Personally, I could care less about the "morality" of PED's or the "sanctity" of the game. I think it's a crock of crap. I have no problem with guys doing everything in their power to reach the pinnacle of their sports in the name of ego and money and even winning. My solution for this would be to make everything fair game, but I know that will never happen. At some point the league may have to look into having ultra-rigid, one size fits all workout programs and rehab programs so that players can't claim ignorance or stupidity or be subject to "bad-luck" by having a test come back positive when they truly had no knowledge of taking a banned substance. Either give the players total freedom or give them ultra-rigid structure. This in-between crap is lame.

Sheldon Cooper
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheoryofSeahawk wrote:
This ends up being such a gray area that I don't really know what is worth believing. The NFL has an extensive list of banned "supplements" and supposedly the list is available to every player, so you would think that guys should know exactly what they can and can't take. But between the guys who knowingly try to use stuff and hope they don't get caught and the ever-changing ingrediants in these workout supplements that may or may not even be on the labels, who can tell which is which. Personally, I could care less about the "morality" of PED's or the "sanctity" of the game. I think it's a crock of crap. I have no problem with guys doing everything in their power to reach the pinnacle of their sports in the name of ego and money and even winning. My solution for this would be to make everything fair game, but I know that will never happen. At some point the league may have to look into having ultra-rigid, one size fits all workout programs and rehab programs so that players can't claim ignorance or stupidity or be subject to "bad-luck" by having a test come back positive when they truly had no knowledge of taking a banned substance. Either give the players total freedom or give them ultra-rigid structure. This in-between crap is lame.

I think the problem now is that testing for actual substances that would be considered giving a player a competitive advantage isn't an exact science. As the tests get better - we should see fewer frivolous suspensions. Right now there are so many substances which could be considered masking agents so they have to ban them.

That's my take on it anyway - I'm kind of with you although I'm not sure I agree with the free-for-all anarchy model you propose. I think I care less about steroids than the average person. Steroids don't make you a good football player - most of the time players take it to rehab injuries faster and get back on the field. They are putting themselves at risk and that's what's unfortunate. It shortens careers. But it's not like having giant muscles will get you in the NFL - it might help your draft stock if you have a big bench press number at the combine but that's it. Football is about instincts and working with 10 other guys to accomplish a goal.
TheoryofSeahawk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
TheoryofSeahawk wrote:

I think the problem now is that testing for actual substances that would be considered giving a player a competitive advantage isn't an exact science. As the tests get better - we should see fewer frivolous suspensions. Right now there are so many substances which could be considered masking agents so they have to ban them.

That's my take on it anyway - I'm kind of with you although I'm not sure I agree with the free-for-all anarchy model you propose. I think I care less about steroids than the average person. Steroids don't make you a good football player - most of the time players take it to rehab injuries faster and get back on the field. They are putting themselves at risk and that's what's unfortunate. It shortens careers. But it's not like having giant muscles will get you in the NFL - it might help your draft stock if you have a big bench press number at the combine but that's it. Football is about instincts and working with 10 other guys to accomplish a goal.

I agree with what you're saying and I'm okay with players taking whatever they need to in order to get their bodies healthy and in playing shape. This is a brutal game and the league isn't really looking after these guys when their careers are over. They only reason they care about concussions is because they're getting their rear ends sued off. These players should have access to the latest technological advances to keep them in the prime physical condition they need to be in if they so choose. The free-for-all model isn't what I think would be optimal, but with the way doping is progressing the NFL will never be able to keep up. They need to be more pro-active instead of reactive and just banning everything. It will catch up to them in the long run if the lawsuits over long term brain injuries doesn't get them first.

Sheldon Cooper
hdshot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steroids should not be a part of the game because the kids growing up playing sports will take them and most will end up never in the NFL or any pro sports.

My understanding about roids it helps the players through the grind of a season. Helps keeps them fresh to the end of the season. I remeber when the Panthers went to the SB and that team never got tired and they ended up being on a substance.

Then the home run derby in MLB. Yes Bonds got bigger but he already had the power to hit the long ball. Mark M and Clemmons didn't seem to get bigger but they played fresh in their golden years late into the season unlike older athletes not on substances. (Clemmons said he never was using but someone said he did.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: