Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jags claim DE Jason Babin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conrad Buff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly the process of claiming a player involves the new team 'adopting' that player's contract from their former team correct?

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Quote:
This might not be a five-game move. Babin signed a five-year, $28.9 million contract with Philadelphia after the 2011 lockout.

The contract, according to a league source, is friendly to the Jaguars if they decide to move on after the year because it contains no big bonuses or guarantees, thus not impacting their salary cap situation.

Babinís cap number is $4.625 million in 2013, followed by $6.475 million and $6.45 million. The combined signing/workout bonus next off-season is only $400,000.

So we are now 26m over the cap. Laughing
But like $14 million under our cap number for the year because we rolled over ~$40 million from last year.

Was a joke, guess I swung and missed....but god dam at 7m a year (with bonuses) I don't think he stays.
Gotcha. I was just making sure everyone knew. There was some confusion about it before.

He'd probably restructure. Or something. I think we have a ton of cap space next year, so we could see him get a single year to prove he's worth the contract.

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Tugboat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles shelton wrote:
iPwn wrote:
DjBuddaH wrote:
I'm a fan of this pick-up. He is a premier pass-rusher and will be a bright spot on our defensive line. 3rd in the league since 2010 behind only DeMarcus Ware and Jared Allen in sacks. Who cares about his contract? We didn't have to give up a pick to get him and if he plays well, which I think he will, it takes pressure off of us picking up more pass-rushers in the off-season. That way we can concentrate on picking up more OL help. Arrows all the way up on this pick-up. Not really a Gene Smith pick-up (if the stories of quitting on the team are true), but even Gene couldn't pass up this opportunity.

This would be the equivalent of Larry Fitzgerald being put on waivers as I still see him as the 3rd best WR the past few years. Kinda surprised there isn't more excitement over this pick-up.
He has only ever been successful in the Wide Nine, a technique where he has no responsibilities outside of rushing the passer every single play. The technique typically inflates pass rush numbers compared to actual ability, at the cost of getting gashed in the run game. He's shown to be terrible against the run when he's had to do that, and apparently he's not exactly a good teammate and reports are that he quit on the Eagles the last two games.

All of that said, I want him to be successful. It's just that there has to be tempered expectations when a system player who hasn't performed within his own system after getting a payday goes to a team that doesn't employ the system that he's been effective in.

And yes, I know the wide nine isn't a system.

you make some good points, but i'd like to point out that where we seem to be weakest in terms of pass rush is on obvious passing downs. how many times have we had a team in a 3rd and long only to get absolute no pressure. we have to watch in horror time and time again as opposing offenses routinely convert 3rd & long situations against us. if he can even help just in those obvious passing situations i'm ok with the pickup.

-charles

Yeah. If we can find a way to use him as a situational pass rusher type, i think he could have some success. Obviously not a 'complete' player, but he does have undeniable talent in getting to the QB. So we'll see how it goes.

I'm actually excited about the potential here though. As the quote earlier in the thread, a lot of the little moves we've made this year are akin to shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. This one actually has a chance to make an impact. Though who knows where it goes after this year...My worry is that we may actually get some solid effort and impressive play from Babin for the rest of this year...then end up keeping him at his massive contract $$$, only to have him slump back into apathy and ineffectiveness.

I like the move though.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Buff wrote:
If I understand correctly the process of claiming a player involves the new team 'adopting' that player's contract from their former team correct?

thats what i thought but we can still cut him without losing any cap for next year

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Buff wrote:

Correct. We can cut Babin with no cap hit because he already got something with the Seahawks that is a one time thing. Not sure that that thing is off the top of my head.

Thank you daboyle250 for the sig.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hes starting this weekend.

#JDI
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Start Spiller and Jackson in Fantasy this week, folks.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

as if benching them was an option?

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

as if benching them was an option?
Jackson, possibly.

- Best since day one -
- Gus Bradley

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: