Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

MKE Crew Thread - Orlando Arcia >> You > Yuni
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 54, 55, 56  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AtariB20 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:
I'm calling the $80 Million pay roll a smokescreen. We are going to make a big splash.

I FEEL IT IN MY LOINS!

I was just talking to a co-worker of mine about this. He TRULY feels we are getting Hamilton and that this is a huge smokescreen. He says every business has some hidden $$$ and that it doesn't make sense to want to decrease the payroll that much.

Im definitely hopeful

Tell him to stop being delusional.

1. The Brewers don't have the $.
2. If the Brewers did have the money, they couldn't offer as much as his other suitors.
3. Even if they could, the need for an OF is non-existant.
4. If they had the $, they'd rationally spend it on Anibal Sanchez or spread it around to Dempster/Burnett.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:
I'm calling the $80 Million pay roll a smokescreen. We are going to make a big splash.

I FEEL IT IN MY LOINS!

I was just talking to a co-worker of mine about this. He TRULY feels we are getting Hamilton and that this is a huge smokescreen. He says every business has some hidden $$$ and that it doesn't make sense to want to decrease the payroll that much.

Im definitely hopeful

2. If the Brewers did have the money, they couldn't offer as much as his other suitors.
4. If they had the $, they'd rationally spend it on Anibal Sanchez or spread it around to Dempster/Burnett.
This is what I don't get. How, on one hand, can DM say we have an $80 M budget, then on the other, sniff around on Josh Hamilton?

We are also supposed to be getting an additional $20 M of TV revenue per year starting this year. It's possible DM is lying about his actual payroll (it wouldn't be the first time a GM lied to the public).

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

I FEEL IT IN MY LOINS!

Im definitely hopeful

There is no reason to break the bank on Anibal Sanchez, if we spend big $$$ it has to be on Hamilton or Greinke. In order for a small-market team to spend big money there has to be revenue generated from the signing, Sanchez does literally nothing for that. No one will pay extra to see Anibal pitch nor will they buy jerseys ect...

Its obvious why the Brewers were in the red, they lost Prince and they lost Greinke and they didn't replace them with anyone worthy of either buying a ticket to see nor spending money in a pro-shop on. Add the fact that we were playing irrelevant baseball up until the final month of the season and there's no wonder we didn't support a 100m dollar pay roll. It also needs to be said that Ryan Braun has probably maximized his revenue by now and will only go down hill from here (from a $$$ generated standpoint, not actual on-field production).

I highly doubt we go higher than 85m like what Melvin has said, while that is disappointing, its just a fact of the small market we play in. Although I think someone needs to get on the phone with Antonasio and Melvin because I think signing Greinke or Hamilton to a market price deal could make us money in the long-run, especially if it means another NLCS run.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
nfldraftguru1 wrote:
AtariB20 wrote:
bkobow05 wrote:

I FEEL IT IN MY LOINS!

Im definitely hopeful

This is what I don't get. How, on one hand, can DM say we have an $80 M budget, then on the other, sniff around on Josh Hamilton?

We are also supposed to be getting an additional $20 M of TV revenue per year starting this year. It's possible DM is lying about his actual payroll (it wouldn't be the first time a GM lied to the public).

http://disciplesofuecker.com/winter-meetings-the-land-of-rumors-and-gm-speak/7348

The bottom part of this article basically sums up this whole ordeal. A bunch of contradictions and confusion.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
There is no reason to break the bank on Anibal Sanchez, if we spend big $$$ it has to be on Hamilton or Greinke. In order for a small-market team to spend big money there has to be revenue generated from the signing, Sanchez does literally nothing for that. No one will pay extra to see Anibal pitch nor will they buy jerseys ect...
This is mostly proven false. Attendance and sales are most directly correlated with winning, and the outliars are teams like the Rays and Marlins.

Sanchez would provide an extra 4 wins/year on average, which, given where the Brewers are in the win curve (mid-80's probably) could result in them getting much closer to the 90 win/playoff threshold. People will watch playoff chases, and people will find jerseys to buy.

Packerraymond wrote:
Its obvious why the Brewers were in the red, they lost Prince and they lost Greinke and they didn't replace them with anyone worthy of either buying a ticket to see nor spending money in a pro-shop on. Add the fact that we were playing irrelevant baseball up until the final month of the season and there's no wonder we didn't support a 100m dollar pay roll. It also needs to be said that Ryan Braun has probably maximized his revenue by now and will only go down hill from here (from a $$$ generated standpoint, not actual on-field production).
This is also false. As part of the MLB CBA, all profits from MLB jerseys, hats, t-shirts, etc. are pooled into one big pot and divided equally amongst all 30 clubs. In fact, it's likely the Brewers will saw more money from Prince Fielder jerseys this season than last year, given the fact that he was Detroit's shiny new toy this year.

Packerraymond wrote:
I highly doubt we go higher than 85m like what Melvin has said, while that is disappointing, its just a fact of the small market we play in. Although I think someone needs to get on the phone with Antonasio and Melvin because I think signing Greinke or Hamilton to a market price deal could make us money in the long-run, especially if it means another NLCS run.
Signing any free agent who is critical to a playoff run generally means you come out ahead, as making the playoffs typically results in at least $20 M of extra revenue (before increased ticket prices, sales, and the like). And, to a certain extent, I completely agree with you - the Brewers are probably that 1 big signing away from being able to 'go for it' again, and as fans, that's certainly a tempting bet to make.

It's another thing entirely, though, to bet millions of dollars of your own money on this playoff dream. Attanassio has been a fantastic owner for this city, and I absolutely believe he's doing everything he can to help the team win.

In lieu of spending money, there are other ways the Brewers can 'go for it' this year. The easiest one is putting Tyler Thornburg in the bullpen starting from Day 1. That might be an easier sell with management than telling them to operate in the red again.

Title Town USA wrote:
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Brewers have had one of the lowest local TV contracts for years in the small Milwaukee market. More money is coming to all teams via increased national TV contracts but not until 2014.

Melvin said the Brewers’ local TV contract will increase from $12 million a year to “around” 21 million in 2013 but noted “that’s not even close” to what most other teams are getting.

An extra $9 M in revenue helps for sure, but isn't quite what Brewer fans were hoping for.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/182115401.html

Title Town USA wrote:
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
Quote:
The Brewers have had one of the lowest local TV contracts for years in the small Milwaukee market. More money is coming to all teams via increased national TV contracts but not until 2014.

Melvin said the Brewers’ local TV contract will increase from $12 million a year to “around” 21 million in 2013 but noted “that’s not even close” to what most other teams are getting.

An extra $9 M in revenue helps for sure, but isn't quite what Brewer fans were hoping for.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/182115401.html

Tough to get a big deal. Only place to expand is into Iowa. Tiny market.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that kind of stinks about being a Wisconsin sports fan, is the boring offseasons. (Outside of Greinke 2 years ago)

3-Peat Footballs Future Elite Baseball League Champion
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brewers and Ryan Dempster are stuck. Dempster wants 3 years and Milwaukee won't go longer than 2.

Kudos to Melvin for sticking to his guns. No other suitors have stepped up yet.

Title Town USA wrote:
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Grilli is close to a deal with someone other than Milwaukee.

Title Town USA wrote:
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
The Brewers and Ryan Dempster are stuck. Dempster wants 3 years and Milwaukee won't go longer than 2.

Kudos to Melvin for sticking to his guns. No other suitors have stepped up yet.

Good job Doug. I'd go 2 with a club/mutual option, but not 3 guaranteed. If we lose on Dempster, we can always try the McCarthy route too or other guys the tier below Dempster who should be available in late December/early January.

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
Jason Grilli is close to a deal with someone other than Milwaukee.

Never make a big deal about MR, but this seemed really likely to happen. Whatevez, MRs gonna MR. /amidoingitrite?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brewers have considered trading Corey Hart, but would have to be overwhelmed to trade him.

Apparently the Royals also have said no to Dempster's 3rd year. So far no one has caved. Given that Dempster has a house in Chicago and lives in Arizona in the offseason, Milwaukee has an advantage in location.

Title Town USA wrote:
nfldraftguru1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
The Brewers have considered trading Corey Hart, but would have to be overwhelmed to trade him.

Apparently the Royals also have said no to Dempster's 3rd year. So far no one has caved. Given that Dempster has a house in Chicago and lives in Arizona in the offseason, Milwaukee has an advantage in location.

Wait for someone to miss out on Hamilton/LaRoche. Then Hart's market opens up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
Uehara is older and has been injury prone. Adams just had surgery.

Each is likely to get a 1 year deal IMO.

Regardless of the injury history, Uehera has been a shutdown reliever. Makes absolutely no sense for him to "settle" for a one year deal unless he's getting a significantly high AAV.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/red-sox-to-sign-koji-uehara.html

Quote:
The Red Sox agreed to a one-year deal with reliever Koji Uehara, according to Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News.

Cool

Title Town USA wrote:
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mariners took AAA 2B Eric Farris in the Rule 5 draft's minor league phase. The Brewers were expecting to lose Farris, and are obviously okay with it since Scooter Gennett will be the full time AAA 2B next year.

Title Town USA wrote:

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 18 of 56

Jump to: