Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Taiwan Jones to make switch to cornerback?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
early43

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way hes been handled by this coaching staff frustrates me to no end.

I dont care if hes not a good pass protector or has fumbling issues, the guy has not gotten a chance to show what he can do as a RB. He's healthy now, we are terrible, and we have no running backs who seem to understand what hole to hit in the running game. You cant make an impression if not given the opportunity, look at Bryce Brown in Philly.

All im saying is he should be given carries to see if he is even worht keeping around as a RB. Put him in situations where he can do what he does well and see what happens. Would anyone expect a 190lb RB to be able to pass protect in his 2nd year??

God the draft cant come fast enough.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

early43 wrote:

I dont care if hes not a good pass protector or has fumbling issues
, the guy has not gotten a chance to show what he can do as a RB. He's healthy now, we are terrible, and we have no running backs who seem to understand what hole to hit in the running game. You cant make an impression if not given the opportunity, look at Bryce Brown in Philly.

All im saying is he should be given carries to see if he is even worht keeping around as a RB. Put him in situations where he can do what he does well and see what happens. Would anyone expect a 190lb RB to be able to pass protect in his 2nd year??

LOL. What would be the purpose of running a fly weight into an 8-man box? Because that's what you will get when you put a one dimensional RB who can't pass block in the game and the defense knows you can't check off into a pass play. To move the ball consistently against an NFL defenses you must be able to disguise, confuse and create uncertainty through multiple looks and options.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
early43

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
early43 wrote:

, the guy has not gotten a chance to show what he can do as a RB. He's healthy now, we are terrible, and we have no running backs who seem to understand what hole to hit in the running game. You cant make an impression if not given the opportunity, look at Bryce Brown in Philly.

LOL. What would be the purpose of running a fly weight into an 8-man box? Because that's what you will get when you put a one dimensional RB who can't pass block in the game and the defense knows you can't check off into a pass play. To move the ball consistently against an NFL defenses you must be able to disguise, confuse and create uncertainty through multiple looks and options.

Yeah, we were screwed from the beginning with Knapp calling the plays then.

Im just saying give the guy a chance. Whats there to loose?

Allen and Knapp have both said he need to show things in PRACTICE in order to get carries in the games. Ok, thats fine and dandy but some people are better on game day than practice and really, what could it hurt to give the guy a few carries a game? Put him in certain situations where he can do what he does best and see if hes worth keeping around.
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

early43 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
early43 wrote:

Allen and Knapp have both said he need to show things in PRACTICE in order to get carries in the games. Ok, thats fine and dandy but some people are better on game day than practice and really, what could it hurt to give the guy a few carries a game? Put him in certain situations where he can do what he does best and see if hes worth keeping around.

And I'm saying the staff can't put Taiwan in during the normal course of the game because they are handcuffed by his liabilities. When those rare occasions would normally occur to get Taiwan a few pity carries the Raiders are being blown out.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this happens
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, i"ve been disappointed with the lack of opportunities he's had at RB to be honest
bitty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he's too dumb to figure out the blocking scheme at RB, then how is he going to line-up correctly at CB.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
early43 wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
early43 wrote:

And I'm saying the staff can't put Taiwan in during the normal course of the game because they are handcuffed by his liabilities. When those rare occasions would normally occur to get Taiwan a few pity carries the Raiders are being blown out.

They don't have to ask him to pass block. They can have him release as a receiver and leave someone else to block (the FB).
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
If he's too dumb to figure out the blocking scheme at RB, then how is he going to line-up correctly at CB.

It's probably not intelligence. Taiwan doesn't have enough base to prevent being blown up.

Bonez wrote:
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the main problem was his ability to hold onto the ball....not a problem at CB
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwan Jones is a perfect example of why I hate the offensive coaching staff. There is a role for him on offense, but they are not creative enough to find it.

He's the type that in a place like NE, would be a spark plug 5-10 touches a game. They'd find ways to create space for him, get him in it and let him do what he does best and make people miss.

Oakland (Knapp) is too damn conservative. You can't tell me getting Taiwan out there for quick pass, screen pass, etc. to try and hit a home run.

Here is something for you Knapp. How about a formation consisting of DMAC, Jones and Reece. Create space and see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Taiwan Jones is a perfect example of why I hate the offensive coaching staff. There is a role for him on offense, but they are not creative enough to find it.

He's the type that in a place like NE, would be a spark plug 5-10 touches a game. They'd find ways to create space for him, get him in it and let him do what he does best and make people miss.

Oakland (Knapp) is too damn conservative. You can't tell me getting Taiwan out there for quick pass, screen pass, etc. to try and hit a home run.

Here is something for you Knapp. How about a formation consisting of DMAC, Jones and Reece. Create space and see what happens.

Tawian Jones is the kind of guy who would have been cut a long time ago from a place like New England. They wouldn't stand for a guy who fumbles a lot and hasn't learnt how to blocking schemes yet.
holyghost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Tawian Jones is the kind of guy who would have been cut a long time ago from a place like New England. They wouldn't stand for a guy who fumbles a lot and hasn't learnt how to blocking schemes yet.

Bingo.

Too many posters questioning his handling, and it's really a great deal like Pryor. If Jones earned his way up the pecking order and could beat out our practice squad rookie for 4th RB, he'd get a chance. Or beat our FB for 3rd spot, a guy who learned the position in a week.

Listen, we need Jones on ST coverage because we're terrible enough as it is. He's shown more aptitude for that so far than at RB. All I recall at RB is that he's touched the ball like 3 times, and two of them he's fumbled. Do we really want to see a full game of that? The guy took a 25 yard loss on a reverse for god's sake. He plays RB like a CB would. Let the Saints preseason game go, he hasn't shown anything beyond that, in games or practice apparently.

Since we already have a reason not to cut him, why not put him at CB in practice and see if he can work his way up the pecking order there.

I don't get the negative side of this. If anything, all they have talked him up about regarding practice is that he's the fastest guy out there. Combine that with an actual penchant for tackling which we've seen as gunner. CB.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

If you say so.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holyghost wrote:
RaisinBran wrote:
Waste of time IMO. If he can't play RB then there's no point in keeping him. There are better CB options available out there than a guy who's played RB his entire life.

Reading is fundamental.
It says right in the article in the first post that he played CB in high school, was recruited as a CB, and played CB as a freshman. If anything, judging by the way he carries the ball vs. how he tackles, he's more natural at CB than RB.
Jukes ain't anything if the ball isn't in your hands.

If he is all in with it, I am all for it. For once I like this type of change. I think he belongs there more than RB, by far. No harm seeing what happens in OTAs and camp with it. Even no harm in giving him a season, because like I said he's a core ST player for us right now. He'll make the team next year just as gunner, but he will never see a single handoff. So why not, he has nothing else to do.

How many times have you see such a position change in the NFL ?? Maybe from D-line to O-line (or visa verse), from FB to TE, maybe.....but this ones out there....hope it happens though, PFM would be licking' his chops at that one..

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: