Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Homeland (Showtime) ~ *Spoilers Inside*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Waldon was also running for President and was expected to win

i never saw any mention of that anywhere.

maybe HE expected to win, but every candidate does.

From the way the political scene was shown, he was basically a shoo-in for the Presidency. Probably riding the coattails of a strong President into the job. It's happened before.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoxSox2004 wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Waldon was also running for President and was expected to win

i never saw any mention of that anywhere.

maybe HE expected to win, but every candidate does.

From the way the political scene was shown, he was basically a shoo-in for the Presidency.

guys... nothing like that was ever presented to us as the audience, you're making it up.

we don't even know who his opponent(s) would have been. not to mention, he did have a very large scandal looming in his background, a payoff for a entitled son's hit and run, causing a death.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?

Last edited by vike daddy on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was strongly implied that Walden was a shoo-in for the presidency. Hence why Brody being his running mate was a meaningful plot point, because in the show it was treated the same as Brody being the veep. Obviously this is all irrelevant at this point, but there was simply no suggestion at any point in the show that Walden was anything but a shoo-in. I don't think we needed to see their internal Ohio polling to get that Walden was going to be president.

I mean hell, if we want to make historical parallels, Walden's path mirrored George H.W. Bush's, going from CIA director to vice president to presidential candidate/president, so in that sense Walden's rise to the presidency was inevitable. Which I guess makes little Finn Walden Homeland's Dubya? Laughing

Speaking of Finn Walden, what a sad sad tale his ended up being in the end. He was exposed as a deeply troubled child who was being molded to be a sociopath by his power-hungry parents, sure, but still, nobody deserves to get blown up at their father's memorial.

Last edited by BaltimoreTerp on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
It was strongly implied that Walden was a shoo-in for the presidency.

dude, i respect you like no other. even more so when it comes to political analysis.

but show me one line of dialogue, other than Walden's himself, where we're told as an audience he was a shoo-in to win.

we don't even know if the president he served was a popular one or not.

Webmaster wrote:
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire 'Brody as his running mate' storyline and Nazir's 'you will be useful to me as an inside man' thing is premised on the idea that Walden is favored to win. They didn't exactly pick Brody to snuggle up with the Green Party candidate here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
The entire 'Brody as his running mate' storyline and Nazir's 'you will be useful to me as an inside man' thing is premised on the idea that Walden is favored to win. They didn't exactly pick Brody to snuggle up with the Green Party candidate here.

sure, i get that. but Brody's an inside man to Walden whether Walden wins the presidency or not. since Nazir had the fallback plan of obtaining the pacemaker code.

i'm just saying we weren't shown anything that says Walden would have won, when we easily could have been shown a poll to that effect or comments that Walden's philosophies were a majority opinion. you guys are reaching, without substantiation.

in fact, the guy who hosted the fundraiser for Walden in The Clearing episode, even stated he wasn't all that thrilled with Walden. if those are his biggest supporters... well, then Walden could be more Mitt-ish than George HW any day.

Very Happy

Webmaster wrote:
RoxSox2004

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VD, I honestly don't know where you're coming from with this. I felt it was very clearly implied that Walden was a clear front runner. It was a case of him building off of a strong two term President and an overall good situation for the country. We don't need to see a CNN breakdown.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoxSox2004 wrote:
VD, I honestly don't know where you're coming from with this. I felt it was very clearly implied that Walden was a clear front runner. It was a case of him building off of a strong two term President and an overall good situation for the country. We don't need to see a CNN breakdown.

say whut, Willis?

i don't think we know anything about the current President on the show, let alone that he was regarded as "strong." Walden didn't see him as strong, nor did he intend to "build off" of his administration. he stated the President was taking things in the wrong direction.

nor do we know he was a two-term Pres. he could be stepping away for bad health, for all we know.

i tell ya, you guys are making this stuff up.

Webmaster wrote:
younggun1273

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always under the impression that Brody as VP would make it a sure thing that Walden would win the presidency. That is why Brody was hand picked to be VP, because he was an immensely popular war hero despite not serving public office. I don't have a specific quote or anything but that was always the implication in the show.

Justo on the sig
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole point of Brody teaming up with the VP is because the general consensus is that he was expected to win. Why would Nazir sign off on Brody's proposition to alter political legislation if that wasn't the case? Walden, barring a major setback, was expected to win. This is pretty obvious, VD.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll repeat myself, because i said it all here:

vike daddy wrote:
sure, i get that. but Brody's an inside man to Walden whether Walden wins the presidency or not. since Nazir had the fallback plan of obtaining the pacemaker code.

i'm just saying we weren't shown anything that says Walden would have won, when we easily could have been shown a poll to that effect or comments that Walden's philosophies were a majority opinion. you guys are reaching, without substantiation.

in fact, the guy who hosted the fundraiser for Walden in The Clearing episode, even stated he wasn't all that thrilled with Walden. if those are his biggest supporters... well, then Walden could be more Mitt-ish than George HW any day.

Very Happy

the stuff in bold is all true.

Webmaster wrote:
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
i'll repeat myself, because i said it all here:

vike daddy wrote:

Very Happy

the stuff in bold is all true.
You're right, there was nothing shown and that's on the fault of the writers..the best method of writing is to show and not tell, but there was every indication that this was the case. There's no reason to believe otherwise, barring major setback (ie. Car crash drama)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://mattsoncreative.com/blog/2012/12/17/homeland-vintage-jazz-record-covers/

Pretty cool

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it was implied that Walden was the presumed favorite to win the next election.

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
OH-snelld4GB-IO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nate Silver had Walden winning at 86%

VD you need to stop watchin fox news! Wink

(yes I am aware we dont know which party he was I was just jokin!!! Laughing )

VikingsFan51 wrote:
OHIO just totally stole my thunder. Took my milkshake and ate it too

Twitter: @snelld58

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 30 of 43

Jump to: