Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Only Two Options: Fire Ken or Extend Him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Only Two Options: Fire Ken or Extend Him Reply with quote

The more I think about it, and it may have already been said prior to this thread, but we have two realistic options going forward.

We can either fire Ken Whisenhunt and move in another direction.

Or we can extend him, put on a good face, talk about his credentials and what he's done for the franchise and move forward several more seasons. Talk about how he took this team places they've never been before, put the emphases on drafting better and let Ken put together a new coaching staff.

Why extend him? Let me ask you this, what offensive assistants are going to want to come to Arizona knowing that Ken has to win now? Knowing that Ken is in a critical time in his career. That he's used up his leverage and has little credbility left after the past three seasons? Knowing that if he fails next season, he could be let go at any point.

That's a death sentence for an incoming offensive coordinator. Knowing that you'll probably have to win with a rookie quarterback in year one or the head coach will lose his job...

Who wants the kind of pressure. Stability is the key word, and we aren't offering anyone that with Kenny on a one year lifeline.

You think Norv Turner is gonna hop aboard with the Cardinals with Ken on the last year of his deal and in complete limbo with the front office?

I don't.

What hotshot assistant, the next Todd Haley if you will, is gonna want to come to Arizona and work with a guy who the organization has little confidence left in him but is gonna give it one more look see...

Fire him or extend him. Only two options IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guarantee he won't get an extension before next season. It's way too risky... If he does get extended it will be late next season if we're having a good year. Thing I'm worried about is another draft under the Whiz' regime and more QB ineptitude then leaving the new coach even more bodies that aren't his.

After all they have a team option for 2014 IIRC...

The Rebuild Has Begun...
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
I guarantee he won't get an extension before next season. It's way too risky... If he does get extended it will be late next season if we're having a good year. Thing I'm worried about is another draft under the Whiz' regime and more QB ineptitude then leaving the new coach even more bodies that aren't his.

After all they have a team option for 2014 IIRC...

IMO, it's too risky keeping him on, one year deal essentially, and trying to find a new offensive staff while attempting to develope a rookie quarterback.

Asking for big time trouble. Either committ or move on. What more do you need to know about Ken?

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda, sorta, agree here. I think it is going to be an incredibly hard sell, but if we are going to go through the last three seasons and stick with Ken, I think we really need to give him the Jeff Fisher in Tennessee treatment.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, he is who we thought his is

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those are the two options then I hope they fire him.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean honestly, ask yourself this question...how are we going to win next year the way this team is built on offense?'

If Ken is on a one year deal, does anyone here think he can put together a 9-7 season or better the way this team is constructed?

Yes, rookie QBs are winning, but they're winning because they are either very special IE Luck/Griffin, or they have tremendous offensive line play/consistent running game and great defensives IE Russel Wilson (who is also pretty special).

Cinci has maybe the most under the radar offensive line in the league (Dalton's first two seasons).

Tannehill has a very good oline. As does Weeden.

We have Adam Snyder and the boys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extend him! He's by far the most competent/successful coach we have had. I think the Superbowl run spoiled the fans here. Our team had no business making it that far... that year the team squeaked into the playoffs on a 9-7 season.
#1CARDSFAN

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodlustt wrote:
Extend him! He's by far the most competent/successful coach we have had. I think the Superbowl run spoiled the fans here. Our team had no business making it that far... that year the team squeaked into the playoffs on a 9-7 season.

Does this give him a job for life? It's not like the cards are consistent like BB and the boys.
JohnnyV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the prime example of how we should go about this IMO...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5988635

Marvin Lewis, despite a 4-12 season in 2011, was giving a non-specified extension and a vote of confidence from the front office (albeit small).

It was a forgone conclusion he was to be let go, but they brought him back and gave him a little sense of security.

The following April, the team used their second round draft pick on Andy Dalton and since have gone 17-13.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyV wrote:
Here is the prime example of how we should go about this IMO...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5988635

Marvin Lewis, despite a 4-12 season in 2011, was giving a non-specified extension and a vote of confidence from the front office (albeit small).

It was a forgone conclusion he was to be let go, but they brought him back and gave him a little sense of security.

The following April, the team used their second round draft pick on Andy Dalton and since have gone 17-13.

They also were able to keep their hot shot defensive coordinator in the process.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was also the off season in which they hired Jay Gruden. You think he's going to Cinci with Marvin on a one year death sentence?

I don't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I could see someone like Norv Turner coming in here as an OC with Ken on a 1-year leash. My thought is that Norv might gamble hoping to take over as HC the following year. To do that, you can bet he would be incredibly motivated to turn the offense around. It's the OC candidates that have no HC experience who I think would avoid this situation.

In the end though, I hope Whiz is let go. I've said it before and I'll repeat it again...his excessive leaning on the pass attack to open up the run is far too lopsided for my taste. No other NFL coach with a "pass to open up the run" philosophy runs less than 40% of the time. Ken's offensive attack puts undue pressure on our own defense, forcing them to be legendary instead of just merely solid to good to win games. A more balanced attack would lessen the impact of the few deficiencies our D has. For some reason Ken fails to see that and do something about it.

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me ask you this, what offensive assistants are going to want to come to Arizona knowing that Ken has to win now?

There's the problem with this though, believing there are assistants that don't already know Whiz needs to win now. Finding assistants that actually believe an extension changes his long term status (It doesn't).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: