Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 16: Other Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
I just can't see myself betting against a QB who's both fundamentally sound AND extremely accurate. Rookie or not; mobile or not. Height could be a factor, but it never has been for Drew Brees, and I don't see why it would be for Wilson, who also has a very high release point.

It's the vision thing. Wilson is good at getting around it by finding his way outside the pocket, either by design or as a scramble, but if teams limit that, I wonder how his vision will be. The Seahawks are running a fairly simple offense right now still, where they have a strong ground game to rely on, and can afford to roll Wilson out of the pocket regularly. The Saints do some of that too, but they also invest heavily at the guard position to create a cleaner pocket and keep defenders down in front of Brees. The Seahawks may have to do the same thing once teams start scheming to prevent the rollouts by keeping a spy on that side and flooding the side of the field Wilson rolls to in coverage. You can't keep eliminating half the field as a possible target and sustain an offense, long term; defenses will figure it out. That being said, if it were my money on the line, I'd bet Wilson is able to overcome those adjustments when they happen.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
I just can't see myself betting against a QB who's both fundamentally sound AND extremely accurate. Rookie or not; mobile or not. Height could be a factor, but it never has been for Drew Brees, and I don't see why it would be for Wilson, who also has a very high release point.

I think you're overrating his accuracy FWIW. By today's standards, Wilson is pretty much average. I think if you force him to stay in the pocket, or if he had a worse supporting cast (i.e. WR's who aren't as adept at making plays on his lobs downfield), his accuracy would be totally average.

I really don't see him succeeding at a high level in the NFL without a perfectly designed system with very specific personnel surrounding him. Good news for him if Carroll can keep his job for a decade and they have a stream of power RB's and solid and athletic WR's.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this in regards to the accuracy thing - it is the most important, defining trait for a QB in the NFL at this point. When evaluating quarterbacks, it should be the number one skill on the list, over football IQ/reading defenses (which should be number 2), pocket presence (number 3), ball handling (number 4) and arm strength (a distant number 5). Show me a tall quarterback with a pop-gun arm but 70% accuracy and the ability to go through his reads and stay composed in the pocket for ten years, and I'll show you a decade of winning.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
I will say this in regards to the accuracy thing - it is the most important, defining trait for a QB in the NFL at this point. When evaluating quarterbacks, it should be the number one skill on the list, over football IQ/reading defenses (which should be number 2), pocket presence (number 3), ball handling (number 4) and arm strength (a distant number 5). Show me a tall quarterback with a pop-gun arm but 70% accuracy and the ability to go through his reads and stay composed in the pocket for ten years, and I'll show you a decade of winning.

Alex Smith is tall and accurate. I'm guessing you don't think his reads or composure are solid enough though?
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:

Alex Smith is tall and accurate. I'm guessing you don't think his reads or composure are solid enough though?
Smith's arm strength was never considered deficient afaik.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
Richter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Richter wrote:

He's not accurate to all parts of the field, and his recent accuracy is largely a product of Harbaugh's engineering, rather than natural talent. He's been poor at locating the ball until he got into Harbaugh's offense. He also has tiny hands, that limit his ability to make accurate throws outside the numbers. He'll revert back to mediocrity once he leaves San Francisco.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was down by 36 points before this game in my dynasty league. I had Russell Wilson. He had Michael Crabtree.

DYNASTY CHAMPION

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
redsoxsrule1437

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost my fantasy championship. Left Dez on the bench...

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
No you didn't...

redsoxsrule1437

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
No you didn't...

Started Cecil Shorts and Brandon Marshall. Thought Shorts was going to have a day against our defense.

Brick wall

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
redsoxsrule1437 wrote:
No you didn't...

Started Cecil Shorts and Brandon Marshall. Thought Shorts was going to have a day against our defense.

Brick wall
Are you 2G1H?

24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendall Reyes with 3.5 sacks.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Giants are essentially out of the playoff hunt [they'd need both the Vikings and Bears to lose, in addition to winning their matchup with the Eagles].

Anyone else as relieved about this as I am?

Richter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
So the Giants are essentially out of the playoff hunt [they'd need both the Vikings and Bears to lose, in addition to winning their matchup with the Eagles].

No, because I don't think they win a playoff game even if they get in.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richter wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

No, because I don't think they win a playoff game even if they get in.
Said this more than once in the past. Got burned for it. Prefer not to take any chances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: