Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Chad Henne Era, graces us, FINALLY!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Or you're just wrong. If you watched every game this season and truly believe that then I'm at a loss for words.

Or you're just wrong.
I think the exact same way. Except the opposite.

You're the only one with this opinion and you only have it because of Henne's performance against the Texans.

No, I'm not, it's a majority opinion.
And Henne's game against the Texans wasn't even his best performance this season.

A majority opinion? You're literally the only one in this thread stating it. iPwn, KYID, and myself are all opposed to it. I don't care if some randy from the Browns or wherever thinks because he watches ESPN or NFL Network that Henne > Gabbert btw.

What was his best performance? I really want to hear this.

Only one in a thread=minority? Laughing Okay.
Henne played best in the first Tennessee game.

Yes. I don't think you understand what the word "minority" means.

And okay. Even if that was his best performance, it was still pretty mediocre. Not sure where all this Henne love is coming from then since before the Texans game you were anti-Henne and now you're repeatedly going to bat for the guy in ways that, if I didn't know better, would make me think you hadn't watched many Jaguars games this year, let alone most or all of them.

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:

At this point, gun to my head, i have to choose...i'd say Henne is the marginally more effective QB right now. But that could change fairly easily.

All I'm saying

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Or you're just wrong. If you watched every game this season and truly believe that then I'm at a loss for words.

Or you're just wrong.
I think the exact same way. Except the opposite.

You're the only one with this opinion and you only have it because of Henne's performance against the Texans.

No, I'm not, it's a majority opinion.
And Henne's game against the Texans wasn't even his best performance this season.

A majority opinion? You're literally the only one in this thread stating it. iPwn, KYID, and myself are all opposed to it. I don't care if some randy from the Browns or wherever thinks because he watches ESPN or NFL Network that Henne > Gabbert btw.

What was his best performance? I really want to hear this.

Only one in a thread=minority? Laughing Okay.
Henne played best in the first Tennessee game.

Yes. I don't think you understand what the word "minority" means.

And okay. Even if that was his best performance, it was still pretty mediocre. Not sure where all this Henne love is coming from then since before the Texans game you were anti-Henne and now you're repeatedly going to bat for the guy in ways that, if I didn't know better, would make me think you hadn't watched many Jaguars games this year, let alone most or all of them.

I think you fail to realize that the world extends beyond this thread.
The titan game wasn't mediocre. It wasn't great, but it was a good game. I was anti-Henne before the Houston game because Henne played like crap before the Houston game. After the Houston game, he looked better than Gabbert.....so why wouldn't I say he's better than Gabbert?

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
I'm fairly indifferent when it comes to Gabbert vs Henne. They both have plenty of issues.

In terms of the 'eye test', i'd say Henne's willingness to be aggressive with the ball is the biggest advantage he has over Gabbert. Blaine so often looks afraid to fit the ball into tight windows, and everything about his play gives off the impression that he's not entirely confident in what he's doing. Of course, Henne's swagger and attempts to fit balls in tight windows is also one of his biggest downsides...as he doesn't really have the accuracy or talent to make it work without racking up INTs. Henne also gets the edge in terms of standing in there and making a throw when he's about to get decked, and i think it's foolish to attribute Blackmon 'getting it' entirely to Blackmon alone. I do think that some chemistry with Henne played into that in some measure. Though it's impossible to say how much.

Gabbert's biggest advantage is his youth. He's still got a lot of time left on the clock as far as development goes. And he has some of the natural talent to be a much better QB than Henne.

At this point, gun to my head, i have to choose...i'd say Henne is the marginally more effective QB right now. But that could change fairly easily.

And really, at this point arguing between the two is a bit like 'The Tallest Midget'. But despite that...

iPwn wrote:
I'm not sure how you could watch what happened with Gabbert and come to the conclusion that he was taking stupid sacks from holding the ball too long. There were free rushers coming from LG and RT at him constantly, and the 2.51 seconds stat backs that up.

To me, this is just as big an issue. Our O-Line is trash, outside of Monroe. Few QBs are going to put up good numbers in terms of avoiding sacks behind that group. And building a top-tier O-Line is one of the best ways to get the most out of a mediocre at best QB imo. And never a bad idea for the future.

I agree taking chances is both Henne's biggest plus and a huge weakness.

When I say eye test though, I am mainly referring to:

- Clear improvement (though marginal) from Gabbert whereas Henne is essentially the same QB he has always been

- Arm talent; Henne struggles throwing outside the numbers and to the outside whereas Gabbert has displayed he has the talent to make all the throws. Henne's arm also dies down sometimes when he goes deep, but I'm not really that caught up on it.

- Gabbert usually understands what is happening. Henne barks out signals and then will still mess up which, his fault or not, makes me uneasy. Henne's ability to read a defense is veteran-laced whereas Gabbert's seems more natural.

The gap isn't huge, but it's enough to make a difference IMO. If we don't grab a QB this year, I'd like to see Gabbert on the field and playing more aggressive.

Adrenaline_Flux

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
I think you fail to realize that the world extends beyond this thread.
The titan game wasn't mediocre. It wasn't great, but it was a good game. I was anti-Henne before the Houston game because Henne played like crap before the Houston game. After the Houston game, he looked better than Gabbert.....so why wouldn't I say he's better than Gabbert?

I think you fail to realize that most of the world beyond this thread also believes that we (Jaguars fans) don't even exist Laughing

That's what I don't understand. He DIDN'T play well and he DIDN'T play better than Gabbert. The ONLY reason to prefer Henne is that he took more chances, but he also struck out more than Gabbert did when he took those chances.

Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Tugboat wrote:
I'm fairly indifferent when it comes to Gabbert vs Henne. They both have plenty of issues.

In terms of the 'eye test', i'd say Henne's willingness to be aggressive with the ball is the biggest advantage he has over Gabbert. Blaine so often looks afraid to fit the ball into tight windows, and everything about his play gives off the impression that he's not entirely confident in what he's doing. Of course, Henne's swagger and attempts to fit balls in tight windows is also one of his biggest downsides...as he doesn't really have the accuracy or talent to make it work without racking up INTs. Henne also gets the edge in terms of standing in there and making a throw when he's about to get decked, and i think it's foolish to attribute Blackmon 'getting it' entirely to Blackmon alone. I do think that some chemistry with Henne played into that in some measure. Though it's impossible to say how much.

Gabbert's biggest advantage is his youth. He's still got a lot of time left on the clock as far as development goes. And he has some of the natural talent to be a much better QB than Henne.

And really, at this point arguing between the two is a bit like 'The Tallest Midget'. But despite that...

iPwn wrote:
I'm not sure how you could watch what happened with Gabbert and come to the conclusion that he was taking stupid sacks from holding the ball too long. There were free rushers coming from LG and RT at him constantly, and the 2.51 seconds stat backs that up.

To me, this is just as big an issue. Our O-Line is trash, outside of Monroe. Few QBs are going to put up good numbers in terms of avoiding sacks behind that group. And building a top-tier O-Line is one of the best ways to get the most out of a mediocre at best QB imo. And never a bad idea for the future.

I agree taking chances is both Henne's biggest plus and a huge weakness.

When I say eye test though, I am mainly referring to:

- Clear improvement (though marginal) from Gabbert whereas Henne is essentially the same QB he has always been

- Arm talent; Henne struggles throwing outside the numbers and to the outside whereas Gabbert has displayed he has the talent to make all the throws. Henne's arm also dies down sometimes when he goes deep, but I'm not really that caught up on it.

- Gabbert usually understands what is happening. Henne barks out signals and then will still mess up which, his fault or not, makes me uneasy. Henne's ability to read a defense is veteran-laced whereas Gabbert's seems more natural.

The gap isn't huge, but it's enough to make a difference IMO. If we don't grab a QB this year, I'd like to see Gabbert on the field and playing more aggressive.

I can agree with that for the most part. I do think Henne has a marginal edge at the moment, but as you're suggesting...Gabbert is gaining ground and if he continues to improve, it might not take more than another good offseason of development for Gabbert to catch him. Henne is what he is at this point.

The bolded point is key though. I really really hope that this little 'job security scare' of losing his starting spot to Henne before being IR'd is the sort of kick in the pants Gabbert needs to realize that he's not going to succeed in the NFL without being aggressive and really taking command of the offense. The Captain Checkdown routine won't fly, and he'll have to make aggressive decisions. I want to see what happens if he comes in to camp next season with a real chip on his shoulder.

I'm not sure it's enough, or if he'll be able to change his stripes like that...but here's hoping! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: