Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reflections on a disappointing season and future outlook

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reflections on a disappointing season and future outlook Reply with quote

Now that that the season is officially over for us, I thought this was a good time for this. Now this isn't a what we should do in the future or a what should we have done this season. Just my interpretation of the truth of this year and the future.

Reflections on this year:

This year has been very disappointing. Many of the top guys haven't shown up. They either have lost desire, being too injury prone, or have regressed to the point where they are bad contracts. But this doesnt end at the players. The coaches and front office have been equally bad.

This year the coaching staff has had very questionable playcalling. This has been especially evident towards the end of halves. We have been uncharacteristically and dangerously aggressive at times where we shouldn't have been. How many times have we been too aggressive with the ball in the end of halves and in key situations (throwing to Barden when you're in FG range vs the Eagles). Also most of these guys aren't playing fundamentally well. They are missing tackles, missing assignments and just not together out there. Every coach has failed his job this year.

Now onto the most ominous thing, Jerry Reese and contracts. I know he has been a good drafter and has done an excellent job for the most part but this year and some of the contracts he has given out are unacceptable. You cannot have only a generous 4 of your top 15 most paid players play like exceptional players. You just can't be an effective team doing that and you have not done your job if that is the truth.

Looking at that list there isn't a single player that played consistently well. Eli, Rolle, Bennett and Snee are my 4 and all have had up and down years at best. Jerry has done a horrible job in free agency with most of his signings not only being overpaid but also being non factors in most of their years here. The most effective player he has brought in here is an overpaid Antrel Rolle. Bennett who he has also preformed is only on an one year deal and will have to be paid longterm.

Future Outlook:
Well the reality of it all is if we have to make big cuts or trades, if we cannot get guys to restructure. Heading into next season we again have very very little wiggle room right now. We have less then 1 million in cap right now. Now there are some obvious cuts to big money, low production players, but if you consider the looming possible extensions of Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Martellus Bennett, William Beatty, Kevin Boothe, Linval Joseph and Kenny Phillips this year and next, that money becomes taken up and might not even be enough. Thats a lot of productive players needing to be paid and a lot of unproductive players already making big money.

Now in my opinion, there still is a way out, but we need to make some big moves. We need to remove all of the overpaid names on the list that make financial sense for us to cut them. With not knowing who would restructure their contract to stay on and who would, I am assuming none chose to do so and they are moved.

Position by Position review:

So I made a spreadsheet with cap figures for every player next year, dead money, and cap penalty they would cause if they were to be moved:

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArN_6YkeoFlfdDcxMGpxWjR2Vmd3Wi1Sc2t3YUwtYkE#gid=0

Current cap in 2013:

This is based on an ESPN projection of 121 million dollar salary cap.

Eli hasn't played extremely well this year but he hasnt had much help. Don't need much here. Maybe a late draft pick to develop or bringing in a vet behind Eli.

Bradshaw has had lots of injury concerns and might be moved or cut, but I don't think we do it this year, because cutting him would not save us too much money, so he stays another year most likely. Andre Brown is a RFA and has played well, so he'll be back. Wilson and Hynoski are very good players so they'll be back. Last spot will be up for grabs. We're set here for years to come.

Nicks hasn't played that well, but he is still a lock to be back. Cruz needs an extension but he is a RFA so he will most likely be back. Rueben Randle is a lock and has played well. Jerrel has shown enough to get one more chance. Need to get some more veteran depth. The group has under preformed this year, but there isn't much that can really be done. We have spent a lot of resources at this position and have a lot of talent here.

Group has played well. Need to bring back Martellus or bring another solid option there. Bear and Adrien should be solid. Stable group if we can bring back Martty.

Diehl will be cut or restructured to make minimum. He will count 3.35 million dead money if he is cut. He has played bad for the last couple of years so no big loss. Beatty has been one of our best olinemen and of course he's a free agent. Needs to be brought back since we have no solid backup option there. Locklear has been average. I wouldn't mind him being brought back as a backup. Brewer deserves a shot. Mosley needs another year most likely. Big question mark positions for us. Need to find a solid RT option, weather internal or external and need to bring back Beatty.

Snee hasn't been that good, but I can't see him being cut. Might be restructured since he has no guaranteed money next year. Boothe has been good. Probably our second best olinemen and just like Beatty a free agent...

Baas has been okay this year. Nowhere worth that money but with his contract he is pretty much uncuttable this year. Crodle is okay depth.

Osi is most likely gone. He was ineffective this year and is only a situation passrusher caliber player at this point. Tuck is in actual danger this year. The damage to cut or trade him wouldn't be that high. He has played horrible this year. Kiwanuka has been invisible also, but he is unmovable. Would cost more to move then to keep. Giving him a full year at DE might help. JPP is a no brainer. We need some younger options with high potential here. Ojomo has flashed in the preseason, but still need more.

The award for most disappointing position goes to... Seriously Canty has a good shot at being cut and Linval has been our only solid option. Need immediate help here. Everyone else has potential to not be brought back.

Boley has been invisible or hurt for every year but his last one. This position needs help. Rivers and Blackburn both are UDFA. Blackburn was our best LB imo and even then he wasnt that great. Need a SLB and MLB next year.

Corey Webster is gone or restructured at least. Way too much money for an ineffective CB. Prince was very solid. Easy keep. I think Hosley will be good. Need a #2 CB though. Someone who doesnt get beat every single time. Terrell is gone, before his money becomes guaranteed. Need some help here.

Although Rolle is overpaid, he has been a leader and very solid. Phillips is a UFA and I hope he is back, but he has been injured about half the time he's been here, so need to be smart on the extension. Stevie has been very solid and is a RFA so he'll be back. Will Hill is a solid backup, might be a good third safety also. Need minimal help here with maybe resigning KP (if it makes sense).

Solid group. Tynes will be back as long as he's reasonable in the amount of money he wants.

Overall, expect some big names to be gone either this year or next. Our top guys have been ineffective and the effective players are close to free agency. Need to reward the right guys and cut out the guys who are unmotivated or ineffective.

Based on this I think we should cut Webster, Diehl, Canty, and just to send a message move or cut Tuck. That gives us enough money to resign our guys and maybe pick up some quality free agents. Thoughts?

^Stone85 on the sig^
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least we have this going for us next year:

Quote:
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
No complaining next year: Giants road schedule in 2013 will feature one playoff team -- the winner of tonight's Redskins-Cowboys tilt. #NYG

^Stone85 on the sig^
Xfaxtor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write up, pretty much agree with everything. Cany has been really dissapointing in his time here, but honestly that was expected for his salary. Question, are those salaries for next year or this year?
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfaxtor wrote:
Excellent write up, pretty much agree with everything. Cany has been really dissapointing in his time here, but honestly that was expected for his salary. Question, are those salaries for next year or this year?

Thank you. All of these salaries are 2013 salaries, including the dead cap and based on a ESPN projected cap of 121 million dollars.

^Stone85 on the sig^
Tehzl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.o From the 15 most paid players on our team, the 10 that are not playing well's cap total adds up to near 60million. My goodness.
kitchenbags

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great write up, sums up how much hell we are in
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save The Hero wrote:
Xfaxtor wrote:

Thank you. All of these salaries are 2013 salaries, including the dead cap and based on a ESPN projected cap of 121 million dollars.

Geez STH this is really impressive. Well done Applause

As far as the Giants go, I think they'll be better next year, but the team as a whole will look pretty different. Wouldnt shock me to see Osi, Diehl, Boley, and Webster get the boot. I think KP will walk too as much as I hate to say it. Stevie Brown deserves a shot at starting, and Will Hill can man that 3rd safety spot.

If Bennett comes back, and we get better o-line play, the Giants' offense could be downright terrifying next year.
Save The Hero

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYGiantsman10 wrote:
Geez STH this is really impressive. Well done Applause

As far as the Giants go, I think they'll be better next year, but the team as a whole will look pretty different. Wouldnt shock me to see Osi, Diehl, Boley, and Webster get the boot. I think KP will walk too as much as I hate to say it. Stevie Brown deserves a shot at starting, and Will Hill can man that 3rd safety spot.

If Bennett comes back, and we get better o-line play, the Giants' offense could be downright terrifying next year.

Thanks.

I agree on what you said, but better oline play may be hard to get. If we can get that help internally with Brewer maybe, but we have limited cap and have two resigning two of our best 3 olinemen.

^Stone85 on the sig^
bb33101

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good read!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: