Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bills fire head coach Chan Gailey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Arizona Cardinals football god Mike Jurecki (Dude is flat out money with news, always right it seems) says Buffalo will make a hard push for Cardinals DC Ray Horton.

Russ Brandon is flying to Arizona to visit with Whiz and Horton..
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Arizona Cardinals football god Mike Jurecki (Dude is flat out money with news, always right it seems) says Buffalo will make a hard push for Cardinals DC Ray Horton.

Russ Brandon is flying to Arizona to visit with Whiz and Horton..

Chip Kelly as well.

Quote:
@JasonLaCanfora: When Bills execs head West to interview Ken Whisenhunt, a prime target, and Ray Horton, also expected to take a crack at Chip Kelly...

Doug Marrone also is getting a interview/

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Broncos OC Mike McCoy. I've got a full head coaching interview tracker in the Cardinals forum in anyone wants to use it for reference. I myself get lost with this stuff, it's easier for me to follow if I just write it down.

I'm only tracking confirmed interviews though. I'm not chasing down every wild rumor floating there, only the confirmed stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Horton, this years Rooney rule guy?
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfaxtor wrote:
Ray Horton, this years Rooney rule guy?

I don't think so.... He is a damn good football coach.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New HC and new QB.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillSabre wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
billsoilers wrote:
Complained lots about him, but he was a class act and a good man, just a bad head coach.
FIFY. He was a really good Offensive Coordinator but not a good HC.

Why is Chan getting all this praise as a good OC? Did we not constantly complain about the lack of touches for Spiller, the pointless use of the wildcat and going empty backfield on 3rd and short sooooo many times? It can't be both ways you know.

Chan Gailey could flourish as a college HC.. His play calling was awful and inconsistent a lot of time, but Fitz was very limited as a QB.
BillSabre

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillsGuy82 wrote:
BillSabre wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
billsoilers wrote:
Complained lots about him, but he was a class act and a good man, just a bad head coach.
FIFY. He was a really good Offensive Coordinator but not a good HC.

Why is Chan getting all this praise as a good OC? Did we not constantly complain about the lack of touches for Spiller, the pointless use of the wildcat and going empty backfield on 3rd and short sooooo many times? It can't be both ways you know.

Chan Gailey could flourish as a college HC.. His play calling was awful and inconsistent a lot of time, but Fitz was very limited as a QB.

Yeah, Georgia Tech would probably be a good fit.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Who got that sack? Cameron Jordan? Jordan Cameron? Michael Jordan? Cam Cameron? IM SO CONFUSED!
coors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt that this really came to anyone's surprise.. even with his "offensive guru" label that I have heard from so many people regarding Chan over the years, the Bills offense never was consistently good since he has been the HC there. There seems to have been a few games here and there that either Spiller had a huge day, or Freddy Jax, or Stevie Jax.. but it seemed to just be far and few between.

And then when it comes down to defense.. wow is watching them play just simply atrocious. Still not quite sure how they ended up being able to lure Mario Williams into town, because there is no way that the Bills were the only team willing to give him the money that he ended up signing for... and not only Mario, but they do seem to have some nice talent in a few positions.. yet they couldn't stop anything whatsoever. They gave up 50+ points twice, as well as a game of giving up 48, and one of 45. I'm not quite sure how the Saints ended up being a team that will go down as the worst defense number wise in NFL history.. because I truly felt after watching a couple of games that they had the worst defense in the league. (not trying to troll any Bills fans or anything like that, just trying to state my opinion and be honest). The Bills desperately need someone that can help that defense get on track.. and I don't see it being impossible to do so because of like I said the talent that I believe they have on that side of the ball).

I personally think that the best fit for this team would be Lovie Smith. Lovie is a guy that has a defensive background, and look at his career in Chicago, they were always an above average defense at worst, some seasons considered "elite" as well as being the best in the league under Lovie at whichever point during his career. Lovie would be able to do his thing and make sure that the scheme is the best fit for the players they have. My guess is that he would bring over his 4-3, "cover 2" bend but not break style of defense which I really think could be good for that defense. Lovie has always had the luxury of having a good Defensive Line and that is what makes his style of defense work.. being able to put pressure on the QB with only 4 guys is what his defense needs to suceed.. and the Bills do have a good D-Line with Mario, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams (ive always been under the impression that he was a pretty good player, I could be wrong here and any input from a Bills fan or anyone about K-Will would be appreciated), and Mark Anderson who are I'm pretty sure their 4 starting D-Line guys. (what ever happened to Chris Kelsay..? I always thought that he was really good and one of the bigger under the radar players that nobody knew about outside of Bills fans)

Lovie is the definition of a "players coach" which you can see by how almost all of the Bears players reacted to his firing, his players are very loyal to him and have absolute respect for the man. Lovie is also someone who is "stable" being that he had been with the Bears for many seasons, and the Bills desperately need any type of stability that they can find.. the turnover of their Head Coaches as well as either their OC and DC over the past few years has been crazy with how many times that they have brought new guys in, which in return brings in new schemes and philosophy's which really hampers players from growth and other things..

I say they bring in Lovie, and give the man at minimum like 4-5 years to be able to build what they want in that organization. Given enough time, I really believe in Lovie and think that sooner rather than later that the Bills would be able to at least compete in the AFC-East with New England, and in a couple of seasons the Dolphins who are on the rise, and the Jets are just miserable right now so I think once the Bills are finally utilizing their talent and weapons correctly that they will have no problems with the Jets or the Dolphins.. its NE that the Bills need to try and stack up to IMO. Lovie will be able to turn this team into a squad that will be pushing for playoff berths every year if he is given the correct opportunity..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
I feel his replacement is either Jim Tressel, Jay Gruden, or Lovie Smith.

I really want Gus Bradley or Mike Zimmer though

Please?

Seriously though, I think Lovie is a great option for the Bills. Ray Horton would be great as well (though I think he'll be great anywhere).
jb_gobills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
and the Bills do have a good D-Line with Mario, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams (ive always been under the impression that he was a pretty good player, I could be wrong here and any input from a Bills fan or anyone about K-Will would be appreciated), and Mark Anderson who are I'm pretty sure their 4 starting D-Line guys. (what ever happened to Chris Kelsay..? I always thought that he was really good and one of the bigger under the radar players that nobody knew about outside of Bills fans)

Kyle Williams has definitely been one of the best players on the defense over the last several years. I've never been a big fan of Chris Kelsay and thought the Bills should have gotten rid of him many years ago.

^Jamison.
Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?
When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us
TommyC376

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:

Please?

Seriously though, I think Lovie is a great option for the Bills. Ray Horton would be great as well (though I think he'll be great anywhere).
I do too.

The only thing I dont like about Horton is that he is strictly a 3-4 guy. I dont think he has ever ran a 4-3 in coaching or in his playing days. I dont want to transition back to the 3-4 that experiment didnt work a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:

Please?

I do too.

The only thing I dont like about Horton is that he is strictly a 3-4 guy. I dont think he has ever ran a 4-3 in coaching or in his playing days. I dont want to transition back to the 3-4 that experiment didnt work a few years ago.

He learned his trade from D1ck Lebeau, the quintessential 3-4 coach. So I highly, HIGHLY doubt he'll run anything but a 3-4 here. Which as much as I respect Horton and think he'll be a great coach, isn't what we need here right now IMO.

Think Lovie is a perfect fit as well.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:

Please?

I do too.

1. Ray was a starting DB for a 4-3 team for most of his career.
2. Ray has been a secondary coach for multiple teams with 4-3 fronts.
3. While LeBeau is truly Ray's biggest influence, he was also positively impacted by the late Jim Johnson, who ran a sole 4-3 defense. Horton himself said most of his coverage schemes are schemes he learned from JJ.

Besides that, our base defensive system isn't actually a 3-4. As Khodder had outlined in the Cardinals forum on a few occasions, 50% of our defense is run out of nickel sets.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
marshawn lynch wrote:

Please?

I do too.

1. Ray was a starting DB for a 4-3 team for most of his career.
2. Ray has been a secondary coach for multiple teams with 4-3 fronts.
3. While LeBeau is truly Ray's biggest influence, he was also positively impacted by the late Jim Johnson, who ran a sole 4-3 defense. Horton himself said most of his coverage schemes are schemes he learned from JJ.

Besides that, our base defensive system isn't actually a 3-4. As Khodder had outlined in the Cardinals forum on a few occasions, 50% of our defense is run out of nickel sets.
This is what khodder posted in the Bills forum yesterday...

khodder wrote:
Just a note on Horton. He came up as a DB in Cincinnati where his DB's coach was...Dick Lebeau. He was also a part of a 34 in Cinci his entire career most of which has Lebeau as the DC. He finished his career in Dallas in the 34.

His coaching career has followed Lebeau most of the way, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh before the DC stint in Arizona, Horton has said that Lebeau is like a father to him.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever in my mind that wherever Ray Horton becomes the Head Coach he will run a 34 defense. It is what he knows, it is how his defense works best and that is what got him this opportunity. It is not like he is going into an elite defensive team (ala Mike Tomlin) that would be able to convince him to run a 4-3.

Bottom Line. Horton will run an aggressive and attacking 3-4, blitz based, man coverage based system that will utilize a lot of sub-package looks.
Sooo yeah... lol contradicting reports out of AZ Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: