Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AJ Smith/Norv Turner to be fired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how everyone has their hopes up. I already know our next GM will be Matt Millen.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want someone who is going to distance themselves from the offensive/defensive side of the ball and is going to delegate a lot of what is going to happen then Ken Whisenhunt is not your guy, he has been a solid coach, but his downfall was his unwillingness to give up some of his power. His hands will be all over the offense, coaching staff and personnel if he is hired as the HC.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I love how everyone has their hopes up. I already know our next GM will be Matt Millen.

That's funny... because my name's not Matt Millen. And darn it if I don't need the pay-bump with a kid on the way.

Quite frankly, I know I see a lot of Chargers fans wanting a "drill sergeant" type as the sort of Anti-Norv, but I don't have as much of an issue with a "player's coach" so long as it's the right player's coach. You could argue that Belichick is a player's coach - his guys buy into every bit of his us against the world bit and eat it up; they'd run through walls for him (or else he'll send them packing).

I'm quite cool with a Gamble/Tomsula pairing right now (wouldn't be shocked if Tomsula was amenable to retaining Pags either). Not the biggest fan of Arians just because I don't really see what the Colts accomplished this season as being all that stellar - and I'm not sure he galvanized the team as much as Pagano's situation did. Hard to peg who someone like Caldwell would have a preference for as a HC to work with; he's likely to go through Dimitroff and possibly Belichick for suggestions so Carmichael's a distinct possibility (was on BB's Cleveland staff), Nolan might be an easy connect-the-dots one (almost too easy), fortunately it won't be Koetter. I don't know that Ross would look directly to Perry Fewell, to be honest he's someone I could see (if he emulated Jerry Reese) who would take a shine to Lovie Smith.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect anything to come out of it, but it's still there

Rotoworld wrote:
A source tells CSN Philly that Andy Reid still intends to interview with the Chargers and Cardinals.
The source is likely Reid's agent, Bob LaMonte. By keeping other teams in the mix, he can negotiate the best possible deal for his client in Kansas City. We don't doubt that the Chargers and Cards are still very interested in Reid, but Chiefs owner Clark Hunt doesn't appear likely to let his man go. Reid does own a home in San Diego and Chargers consultant Ron Wolf previously said his biggest regret in Green Bay was not hiring Reid.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
I don't expect anything to come out of it, but it's still there

Rotoworld wrote:
A source tells CSN Philly that Andy Reid still intends to interview with the Chargers and Cardinals.
The source is likely Reid's agent, Bob LaMonte. By keeping other teams in the mix, he can negotiate the best possible deal for his client in Kansas City. We don't doubt that the Chargers and Cards are still very interested in Reid, but Chiefs owner Clark Hunt doesn't appear likely to let his man go. Reid does own a home in San Diego and Chargers consultant Ron Wolf previously said his biggest regret in Green Bay was not hiring Reid.

Wolf also said in his conference call yesterday that he's not the one making the decision and that he's there strictly in an advisory capacity.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
In addition to Colts OC Bruce Arians, the Chargers are reportedly interested in ex-Bears coach Lovie Smith and Penn State's Bill O'Brien.
According to NFL Network, the Bolts' brass will fly to the East Coast to interview a host of GM candidates. The plan is to put a general manager in place to help with the coaching search. O'Brien is said to be drawing interest from the Browns, Eagles, and Cardinals as well. The Bills are reportedly planning to interview Smith.

Wonder how Lovie would do with a 3-4 in place? It would take a lot of work/money to change it right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be shock if Lovie was brought in to simply fill the Rooney rule.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made up my mind. Anyone other then Mooch is a mistake.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:

I wonder how much of him being interested was actually true? It will be news if he actually interviews.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bissacia jumped to Auburn. I don't really get why since he probably won't get paid as much and I doubt he'd have been fired.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Bissacia jumped to Auburn. I don't really get why since he probably won't get paid as much and I doubt he'd have been fired.

He got the assistant head coach title at a major program. Can't blame him, it's obvious he has his eyes on being a head coach.

EverythingSF wrote:
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

I wonder how much of him being interested was actually true? It will be news if he actually interviews.

I guess he interviewed for both the USC and UCLA openings. I wonder if it was a money thing and he declined or if try decided to pass.

I would be ecstatic if we at least interviewed him and determined if he could be that guy for us.

EverythingSF wrote:
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:

There was no guarantee that he would have had a job here under a new staff. What folks don't seem to grasp is that coaches (unless they're first timers) are creatures of habit; they will tend to employ assistants that they have familiarity with. At best Bissacia would have been hoping for either a 1st-time HC retaining him here or for Lovie to bring him in wherever he lands.

This is the same reason why it's pretty easy to project that should this whole Andy Reid/KC thing go through that guys like Pat Shurmur and Brad Childress will be on their way to his staff.

If we manage to hold onto Pags we ought to consider ourselves extremely fortunate (though I only see a select few of the HC candidates attached to us so far that would be candidates for that). More likely we might hold onto Joiner and Barry (and the later is far less likely than the former).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:

There was no guarantee that he would have had a job here under a new staff. What folks don't seem to grasp is that coaches (unless they're first timers) are creatures of habit; they will tend to employ assistants that they have familiarity with. At best Bissacia would have been hoping for either a 1st-time HC retaining him here or for Lovie to bring him in wherever he lands.

This is the same reason why it's pretty easy to project that should this whole Andy Reid/KC thing go through that guys like Pat Shurmur and Brad Childress will be on their way to his staff.

If we manage to hold onto Pags we ought to consider ourselves extremely fortunate (though I only see a select few of the HC candidates attached to us so far that would be candidates for that). More likely we might hold onto Joiner and Barry (and the later is far less likely than the former).

I think the chargers are telling candidates Pags is staying. Imagine the combined minds of Horton and Pags. Twisted Evil But I expect an offensive coach.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Bill O'Brien is headed back to Penn St. Cross him off the list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: