Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treece300e

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

houstonX wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrqfAgHo82o

Rontez Miles

It's good to know that DBs are still coached to wrap-up when they tackle. I love his contribution on SP (though, it seemed like his competition was more of a decoy than a blocker, but I digress). He looks short in the video, but apparently he's about 6', 205.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83724&draftyear=2013&genpos=SS
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like what I've seen from Elam the S and Floyd the NT from Florida tonight.

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^

Adopt-A-Texan 2014-2015
DJ "Swag" Swearinger
31 tot, 0 int, 1 sck, 3 ff, countless missed tackles
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
I really like what I've seen from Elam the S and Floyd the NT from Florida tonight.

I'm a huge fan of Elam dating back to when he came out of HS as a RB/S. Laughing

He could be a ball hawk type safety if we draft him. Hopefully his stock doesnt improve. He could be a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My proposal: Rick Smith gets in his time machine and travels to draft day 2014 for two reasons: to make sure Teddy Bridgewater is coming out and to see who has the first pick.

Then, he travels back to 2013, trades our 1st to the team who will have the first overall pick in 2014 for their 2014 first, and BAM! we got a quarterback.

Shoot, I should be a damn GM.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
My proposal: Rick Smith gets in his time machine and travels to draft day 2014 for two reasons: to make sure Teddy Bridgewater is coming out and to see who has the first pick.

Then, he travels back to 2013, trades our 1st to the team who will have the first overall pick in 2014 for their 2014 first, and BAM! we got a quarterback.

Time travel always confuses me. Would the present that Smith returns to be the same one he would leave? And if he were to trade for the pick in 2013, wouldn't he arrive in 2014 to find that the Texans held the #1 overall pick?

Sig by matthouston91
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
kenney wrote:

Time travel always confuses me. Would the present that Smith returns to be the same one he would leave? And if he were to trade for the pick in 2013, wouldn't he arrive in 2014 to find that the Texans held the #1 overall pick?

Presumably the only reliable method by which Smith could travel to our definite future and return to the same present would be by some sort of "anchoring device" that recalled his time machine specifically to it.

As for the conundrum you propose, assuming the Texans didn't crap the bed and earn the first overall pick, he could just look at the ESPN or NFLN feed to see from which team he had obtained the pick. Problem solved. BAM!

Also, I should moonlight as a time-travel-ologist while GMing the HECK out of whichever franchise is savvy enough to hire me.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
kenney wrote:

Presumably the only reliable method by which Smith could travel to our definite future and return to the same present would be by some sort of "anchoring device" that recalled his time machine specifically to it.

...ahem? It's called a "flux capacitor" noob. Doc Brown and I go way back. Who you think introduced him to the Libyans back in 1985? Nevermind I was only five back then. Hill Valley was my HOOD back then, ain't nobody stealing Plutonium without my OK.

Anywho - FSU QB EJ Manuel reminds me a LOT of Colin Kaepernick; Big QB, cannon of an arm, can take off and run quickly, can shake off tackles...he also played in a lot of pro set offenses, so he has experience. Real smart kid, great character, has leadership intangibles. But goodness, does he need some refining.

He's right now graded as a late 2nd/early 3rd round guy...but if he combines out of his mind (feasable) he shoots up to a mid 1st, IMO. If he IS there in the 3rd, we should bring him in to sit and learn. Give Matt to prove himself in 2013, and if he doesn't, hand the team over to Manuel in 2014.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Grasspike wrote:
kenney wrote:

...ahem? It's called a "flux capacitor" noob. Doc Brown and I go way back. Who you think introduced him to the Libyans back in 1985? Nevermind I was only five back then. Hill Valley was my HOOD back then, ain't nobody stealing Plutonium without my OK.

Anywho - FSU QB EJ Manuel reminds me a LOT of Colin Kaepernick; Big QB, cannon of an arm, can take off and run quickly, can shake off tackles...he also played in a lot of pro set offenses, so he has experience. Real smart kid, great character, has leadership intangibles. But goodness, does he need some refining.

He's right now graded as a late 2nd/early 3rd round guy...but if he combines out of his mind (feasable) he shoots up to a mid 1st, IMO. If he IS there in the 3rd, we should bring him in to sit and learn. Give Matt to prove himself in 2013, and if he doesn't, hand the team over to Manuel in 2014.

I'm shaky on EJ Manuel just because I have a friend who's a huge FSU fan and doesn't like him. He's been good, but I think the talent level around him has made him look a lot better than he actually is.

For the QB's in this draft, I like Mike Glennon (but not for us), I think Tyler Bray has all the tools and skills (but maybe not the head), I think Aaron Murray and Tyler Wilson could be starting QB's in the NFL.

Honestly, though, if Matt Barkley were to fall to our first round pick, we'd be crazy not to draft him. Despite his lackluster senior year, I think he'll be a very good pro. I think he's the most likely member of this draft class to be a Pro Bowl QB.

Sig by matthouston91
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck no to Barkley. Especially since the recent QB's from USC have been average to terrible. (I guess you can put Palmer in the "OK" territory). I wouldnt want to take a risk and pick him in round 1 when we have other needs. Plus Barkley hasnt shown me anything that makes him a future probowler or future top 10 QB this season. He is overrated.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Heck no to Barkley. Especially since the recent QB's from USC have been average to terrible. (I guess you can put Palmer in the "OK" territory). I wouldnt want to take a risk and pick him in round 1 when we have other needs. Plus Barkley hasnt shown me anything that makes him a future probowler or future top 10 QB this season. He is overrated.

Why does it matter if recent USC QB's have been terrible? They played in a different system and almost all of them had major flaws. Booty was not a legitimate NFL prospect, Sanchez only started one year and didn't play all that well, Leinart never improved from his sophomore year and had off-field concerns, Palmer never really had a good season until his senior year. Barkley was a four-year starter who improved every year except for this one, and his regression this year is overstated. I think he could follow a similar career track to Aaron Rodgers.

Sig by matthouston91
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grasspike wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

Why does it matter if recent USC QB's have been terrible? They played in a different system and almost all of them had major flaws. Booty was not a legitimate NFL prospect, Sanchez only started one year and didn't play all that well, Leinart never improved from his sophomore year and had off-field concerns, Palmer never really had a good season until his senior year. Barkley was a four-year starter who improved every year except for this one, and his regression this year is overstated. I think he could follow a similar career track to Aaron Rodgers.

In what way? Rodgers was projected as a top 5 pick in the draft and was considered to go 1st overall. He slid because other teams didnt need a QB. Barkley returned for his senior year and regressed. If he would have came out last year he probably would have been a top 10 pick. USC had their best team in a while and he still couldnt put up "great" numbers. Given the history of USC QB's I wouldnt touch him.

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't put my finger on it, but I do not like Matt Barkley. There is something about him that reeks of Jimmy Clausen - a very good QB in college, someone who looks the part when he takes the field, has good mechanics, played in a pro set offense - but when the defenders go from college level to pro level, all of those skills just fall by the wayside, and he tops out as a backup in the league. Nothing tangible to base this off of, just a gut feeling. I could be wrong, however.

Given that this is a very heavy draft in terms of OTs (no real Jake Long or Joe Thomas-esque prospects) I can't see the Texans looking at Derek Newton and feeling as warm and fuzzy with a 2nd year of starting. He's matured, got "better" but...that better doesn't exactly spell out starter for the long haul, you know? Central Michigan OT Eric Fisher is drawing some rave comparisons to Joe Staley of the 49ers - big guy at 6' 7" and 308, but all arms and legs, great hip bend in pass protection, good feet to shuffle along the line. Not a mauler, but someone who engages quickly, then disengages and gets to the next level quickly - a staple of the ZBS. I'm not sure if he's even available with our mid/late 20 pick, but if he's there...would behoove us to tab him in a rotation with Newton for 2013, with Fisher taking all snaps at the spot midway through the season.

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
biggio7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My position breakdown:

QB- I really don't see them going a QB in the draft. Say what you want about Schaub, there is nobody in the draft that would be better suited in the offense. If Schaub struggles in the playoffs and next year, it wouldn't shock me to see them gives Yates a legit shot. But looking at the QBs this year, all with most being redshirt seniors, I just don't see it.

RB- Interesting decision here, I think it all depends on Tate and Forsett. Forsett showed what he can do in the offense. Tate has ran pretty well for the most part but struggles to stay healthy. If the Texans wanted and felt they were getting good value, they could trade Tate to someone like Arizona? If Tate or Forsett are gone, I like;

- Onterrio McCalebb, Auburn
- Stefphon Jefferson, Nevada
- Theo Reddick, Notre Dame
- Cierre Wood, Notre Dame
- Christine Michael, TAM
- Spencer Ware, LSU

(I didn't list some others because they are higher rated in the draft and even if Tate were traded, I don't feel like the Texans would draft a running back till the 4th if that early.)

WR- I'm sure we could all agree on that the Texans will go after and need a playmaker at WR. I will hold out and have high hopes for Posey. I think he can be a solid #2. But now, he is not a threat to other teams. I'm indifferent on Martin. The thing is, the Texans are not a passing team so I feel like they don't really care about another WR outside of Dre. But, I do feel like the Texans need someone else that teams have to worry about.

- Keenan Allen, Cal
- Terrance Williams, Baylor
- DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
- Markus Wheaton, Oregon State
- Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
- Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
- Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas
- Russell Shepard, LSU
- Denard Robinson, Michigan
*Yeah I know. But teams would pay attention to him. He is a tough kid with a pretty solid mind set. Could be a solid return guy. But in essence he fits the mold of Keshawn Martin probably. But does offer flexibility.*

Where are? Austin, Patterson, Rogers, Hunter, Woods? Well to be honest, I'm iffy on the heads for Patterson, Rogers and Hunter. Austin is a small guy and I'm not sure if he will be able to handle things well in the NFL. Woods, I was never a fan of and I'm not surprised how far he dropped. Although, I could see the Texans picking him up because he was good at a time, sort of what they did with Posey.

TE- I don't really see the Texans drafting a TE but from who I see, I like one but I could see the Texans looking at two others.

- Joseph Fauria, UCLA
- Vance McDonald, Rice
- Nick Kasa, Colorado

The last two, I could see the Texans liking more. I think Fauria is someone who could fit on this team but with Owen, I guess not. Graham has also played pretty well too. There is just something I like about Fauria.

OT-

- Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
- Oday Aboushi, Virginia
- Kyle Long, Oregon
- Rick Wagner, Wisconsin
- Xavier Nixon, Florida
- Jordan Mills, Louisiana Tech
- Vinston Painter, Virginia Tech

To me, this is a thin class at OT, so it's not a good year to look for OT unless they are going to reach on Oday like they did with Duane Brown. But is RT really that big of a need for the reach in the late first round? I'd hope they would hold off and look at someone else maybe in the 3rd round. I'll post my wish mock at the end of this post.

OG-

- Jonathan Cooper, NC
- Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State
- Alvin Bailey, Arkansas
- Hugh Thornton, Illinois
- John Sullen, Auburn

It goes along with OT. Looking at the players right now, I see OG as thin also. Nobody really stands out early. If the Texans decide to go OG, it should be later.

C-

- Barrett Jones, Alabama

I don't expect it to happen but it wouldn't surprise me if he was there for the Texans pick and they took him. He can play any of the five spots on the line.

DE/DT-
- Mallicah Goodman, Clemson
- Sharrif Floyd, Florida
- Kawann Short, Purdue
- Akeem Spence, Illinois
- Everett Dawkins, Florida State
- Josh Boyd, Mississippi State
- Cory Grissom, South Florida
- Baker Steinkuhler, Nebraska
- Caraun Reid, Princeton
- Izaan Cross, Georgia Tech

As most of us can agree on, the Texans are looking for someone else to play in the 3/4 on the line. Antonio Smith is getting older/costly but is clearly well liked on the team and with the fans. Crick was a huge pick up. Jamison will be back next year but will he be the same? Mitchell and Cody are manning the middle but I think the Texans could use an upgrade while mixing in Mitchell. Those names listed, are players I feel like can add something to the line. Caraun Reid is a very interesting prospect. Out of those guys, I'd like to see Akeem Spence and Caruan Reid having a shot with this team the most. I'm not high on Jesse Williams or John Jenkins. I don't think they will offer much in the Wade's system. But they are bigger bodies. Floyd gives a nice push. I'm indifferent on Short.

-Two guys who played DE but I think could fit LB in the 3/4
- Larry Webster, Bloomsburg
- Trevardo Williams, Connecticut

Smaller school guys but looking at the stats/attributes, I think they could be UDFA's who would be a nice fit. Webster is 6'7 and could be a change of pace player on blitzes. Williams is smaller but was around 230+ supposedly listed at DE for UConn. But he has quickness that could help on special teams also. Intriguing guys no doubt.

LB-

- Alonzo Highsmith, Arkansas
- Michael Mauti, PSU
- Kenny Tate, Maryland
- DeVonte Holloman, South Carolina
- Gerald Hodges, PSU
- Travis Long, Washington State
- Sean Porter, TAM
- Kevin Minter, LSU
- Shayne Skov, Stanford
- Nico Johnson, Alabama
- Kevin Reddick, North Carolina
- AJ Klein, Iowa State

I just put them all together no matter OLB or ILB. It all depends on Barwin. If he wants to stay cheap, I'd be ok with it. But Whitney needs to be on the field more, I'm curious about him in coverage etc. But inside linebacker is more of a need. I thought about putting in Alonzo from Oregon, he plays like a maniac but it might be an issue if he can't control his emotions on the field. But he does seem to be around the ball. And, I'm not sure his personality would mix with Cushing. But he is a guy the Texans could look at. I saw a mock that has Minter getting drafted by the Texans in the first round. I wouldn't hate it, depending on who is there.

CB-

- Jonathan Banks, Mississippi State
- Jordan Poyer, Oregon State
- Desmond Trufant, Washington
- Logan Ryan, Rutgers
- David Amerson, North Carolina State
- Micah Hyde, Iowa
- Tyrann Mathieu, LSU
- Leon McFadden, San Diego State
- Marc Anthony, Cal
- DJ Hayden, Houston
- Rod Sweeting, Georgia Tech
- Sheldon Prince, UCLA

Corner is a need. Carmichael and Harris don't seem to be what the Texans thought because of their lack of playing time on the field away from special teams. Harris always seems to do at least one stupid thing during the game. I'll look more at these guys I have listed but I just went with some of them based on what I saw from attributes/some stats. Yeah I listed Mathieu. I think all NFL teams want to take a shot on him but are hesitant. Watching him since he started, there are times he does get beat, even covering the slot. But he does go all out trying to make up for it. He has a knack for the ball and making big plays, but I'm not sure he will make the same plays against the beefer faster talent in the NFL. Wouldn't hurt to have a playmaker on this team like him.

S-

- Eric Reid, LSU
- Kenny Vacarro, Texas
- TJ McDonald, USC
- DJ Swearinger, South Carolina
- Zeke Motta, Notre Dame
- Duke Williams, Nevada
- Robert Lester, Alabama
- Shawn Williams, Georgia
- Drew Frey, Cincinnati
- Bacarri Rambo, Georgia
- Rashard Hall, Clemson
- Earl Wolff, North Carolina State
- Phillip Thomas, Fresno State
- Daimion Stafford, Nebraska

Pretty depend position. It will be interesting to see but I like these guys mostly. Reid needs to be coached up more and gets caught up in the play with taking bad angles at times when looking for the big hit. Gets a little lost in space too. Frey is an interesting prospect but has some injury concerns. Swearinger is listed as the heart and soul of the SC defense. Sounds like an attitude the Texans need with their defensive backs.

Again, I have not really watched tape or anything like that. Just my overall impression on these players. I know it's long but this could turn into an impressive draft class. My ideal situation for the Texans would be for them to trade out of the first. Especially this year because the talent is more evened out in the second/third rounds. There isn't a big drop off with talent. I'd love to see them trade out of the first, pick up a 2nd and 3rd and a 2nd in 14 or something like that. That would really be the best scenario for them especially considering the compensation picks they receive as well. Figuring a 3rd for Mario. To me, the Texans have more holes than people outside of their fanbase realize. Maybe even getting extra picks this year would allow to draft a QB like some of you want. Someone who could really push Schaub. I hope you all enjoy my breakdown and look at the players I've mentioned.

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!

Last edited by biggio7 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
kenney

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biggio7 wrote:
My position breakdown:

EDIT: lots of primo and well-thought-out draft stuff

Oh look, someone who knows what he's talking about.
biggio7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
biggio7 wrote:
My position breakdown:

EDIT: lots of primo and well-thought-out draft stuff

Oh look, someone who knows what he's talking about.

I don't have a clue. I was just rambling on and on. I was just looking at lists of players and picked out the ones with the best names. Laughing

Adopt a Texan: Mr. Kareem Jackson
FFBB; Suule o nerte!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 16 of 63

Jump to: