Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Are Your REASONABLE Expectations To Build Quality OL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
I think we can have an above average line by upgrading any two out of the following 3:

C, RT, G

I dont think its a stretch to do that in 1 offseason either. 1 FA, one top tier draft pick and there you go.

Do you expect the Cowboys to have an above average OL in 2013?

I can not predict what the Cowboys will do in the offseason. If they address two of the 3, then yes, I think they can have an above average oline.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
I think we can have an above average line by upgrading any two out of the following 3:

C, RT, G

I dont think its a stretch to do that in 1 offseason either. 1 FA, one top tier draft pick and there you go.

I can not predict what the Cowboys will do in the offseason. If they address two of the 3, then yes, I think they can have an above average oline.

I'm not asking you to predict... I'm asking if that is your expectation. If it would be so easy to fix... wouldn't you expect the cowboys to do it?

Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

C, RT, G

I'm not asking you to predict... I'm asking if that is your expectation. If it would be so easy to fix... wouldn't you expect the cowboys to do it?

To my expectations are that if they address those positions than we will improve.

Do I think they will? Yes, I do. If they do not, then no, I think we will have another year with unacceptable oline play.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

C, RT, G

To my expectations are that if they address those positions than we will improve.

Do I think they will? Yes, I do. If they do not, then no, I think we will have another year with unacceptable oline play.

My fear is that we won't do anything because Jerry and Co. won't consider the o-line play to have been unacceptable.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do think Jerry realizes that the cowboys plan to create a productive o line has failed over the last several years. Considering that many of the people on this forum believe that Jerry left Garrett in charge of which players we sign and draft...would it be possible that Jerry blames Garrett for the poor o line and lack of team success, and not himself?

I find it very interesting that Jerry has yet to meet with his coaches. I think Jerry is seriously considering changes in the coaching department.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think we could see another Leonard Davis type signing? Bringing in a Brandon Albert to play LG perhaps

Sig courtesy of mack.
Spends

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that 4 out of our 5 lineman need to be replaced.

However, can't we help make some of the younger guys better by putting better talent around them?

I don't care whether it is Livings or Burningdeuce or Arkin...but we should decide which one we want to groom and play him opposite a veteran.

Sign a veteran G, draft a G/C in rounds 1-2, and see what happens next year. If Free/Parnell and Livings/Burningdeuce fall on their face AGAIN with better talent around them, then we cut ties with them next offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spends wrote:

However, can't we help make some of the younger guys better by putting better talent around them?

I don't care whether it is Livings or Burningdeuce or Arkin...but we should decide which one we want to groom and play him opposite a veteran.

Sign a veteran G, draft a G/C in rounds 1-2, and see what happens next year. If Free/Parnell and Livings/Burningdeuce fall on their face AGAIN with better talent around them, then we cut ties with them next offseason.

I actually agree with another poster that we should cut Free. I didn't notice any difference when Parnell was in there, and for 1/8 the pay...it is a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spends wrote:

For sure. I just think by default at least 2/4 of the underperfoming linemen will be starters next year. It is unreasonable to take a mix of below average/developing players, line them all in a row, and expect them to succeed as a unit.
atran35

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starters will be:

Smith
Livings
Costa( Yes...they like him ).
?( RG )
?( RT )
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the world of unpopular opinions, I would much prefer to see Trogdor as a starter (either C or RG) than Livings.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
In the world of unpopular opinions, I would much prefer to see Trogdor as a starter (either C or RG) than Livings.

plan9misfit wrote:

Northland

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four out of five starters should be replaced via free agency and/or draft. My fear is that with the age on the D Line, the O Line will not receive the attention that it should. Which do you fix first? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Our D Line as it exists right now doesn't exactly thrill. The fact that we are in such a mess on both lines speaks volumes about our strategy to build our club.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
Four out of five starters should be replaced via free agency and/or draft. My fear is that with the age on the D Line, the O Line will not receive the attention that it should. Which do you fix first? Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Our D Line as it exists right now doesn't exactly thrill. The fact that we are in such a mess on both lines speaks volumes about our strategy to build our club.

its a fair criticism. It seems like the first two offseasons under Garrett have had a "focus area" that he puts most of his attention too.

Year one saw 6 of 8 players drafted for the offense.
Year two saw 5 of 7 players drafted for the defense along with the signing of Brandon Carr.

Maybe Year 3 will be the "Year of the Trenches"

plan9misfit wrote:

The_Slamman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:

If last year is any indication of what NFL teams are thinking, good interior OLmen fell to the late first and second rounds even though the "experts" had them rated much higher. I think we can still get a good interior OLman in the second round with good value. That's why I think we have to take a DL in the first round.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: