Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears fire Head Coach Lovie Smith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
There is a lot of people looking at Smith's tenure with rose colored glasses and ignoring his weak points. Bad clock management, bad challenges, bad personnel and management decisions (Archuletta, Babich, Martz, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I believe he's a good man and good coach, but not great and he wouldn't be the one to lead the Bears to a championship. All the blame for the teams talent gap can't be laid upon Jerry Angelo either, that's revisionist history. After the superbowl season and Lovie's new contract he had a big hand in draft and FA decisions. Smith failed for 9 years to field a complete team and the one year he had a "decent" offense the team went to the Superbowl. It's time for this team, this organization to break into the modern NFL and field an offense that is consistent, puts points on the board, and can be relied on to carry the team when needed and win games.
no he didn't. Lovie's add'l power granted to him in his new contract was specifically the ability to hire/fire coaches as he saw fit. This request was added into the contract b/c Lovie's coordinators were hired before he was. (he was supposedly consulted about Terry Shea before he he was hired, but that seems like a load of BS) And when Terry Shea was fired Jerry Angelo went and hand picked ANOTHER OC in Ron Turner. Lovie simply wanted the power that every other HC in the NFL had, the ability to determine the fate of his own coaching staff b/c it was his butt on the line.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Mike McCarthy just got 1 more win against the Bears this season, his inability to challenge a bad call in the 2nd quarter just cost Lovie Smith his job.

Completely off base. Since their Super Bowl appearance, Lovie Smith was 52-44 with only an NFC Championship to show for it in 2010. He was an average coach who underachieved with the Bears.
I think most fans would agree he overachieved best on the talent on the team.

Seriously. That Bears team was a contender year in and year out despite always having a questionable offense...and Lovie wasn't the guy to blame for the offense.

A contender every year?

They made the playoffs 1 time in the last 6 years.

They made the playoffs 3 times in 9 years.

To contend you need to make the playoffs.

A playoff contender? Yea. He had them at 10-6 this year and they narrowly missed the playoffs. Would have made the playoffs last year if it weren't for the Cutler injury.

From 2005 to 2012, there were only two years(07 and 09) when they weren't in the playoff hunt.

Would you rather have Lovie or Jeff Fisher?

Lovie is a great DC but he has never given a crap about the offence and it cost him.

I'd rather have the late, great Clark Shaughnessy. Wink
Pack4life7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovie in Philadelphia makes them legit SB contenders even with Foles.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
1WngdAngel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
1WngdAngel wrote:
There is a lot of people looking at Smith's tenure with rose colored glasses and ignoring his weak points. Bad clock management, bad challenges, bad personnel and management decisions (Archuletta, Babich, Martz, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I believe he's a good man and good coach, but not great and he wouldn't be the one to lead the Bears to a championship. All the blame for the teams talent gap can't be laid upon Jerry Angelo either, that's revisionist history. After the superbowl season and Lovie's new contract he had a big hand in draft and FA decisions. Smith failed for 9 years to field a complete team and the one year he had a "decent" offense the team went to the Superbowl. It's time for this team, this organization to break into the modern NFL and field an offense that is consistent, puts points on the board, and can be relied on to carry the team when needed and win games.
no he didn't. Lovie's add'l power granted to him in his new contract was specifically the ability to hire/fire coaches as he saw fit. This request was added into the contract b/c Lovie's coordinators were hired before he was. (he was supposedly consulted about Terry Shea before he he was hired, but that seems like a load of BS) And when Terry Shea was fired Jerry Angelo went and hand picked ANOTHER OC in Ron Turner. Lovie simply wanted the power that every other HC in the NFL had, the ability to determine the fate of his own coaching staff b/c it was his butt on the line.

If you honestly believe Lovie didn't have part of the power of drafting and FA then I'm not going to sit here and convince you. He and Angelo went hand in hand, take that for what you will.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1WngdAngel wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
1WngdAngel wrote:

If you honestly believe Lovie didn't have part of the power of drafting and FA then I'm not going to sit here and convince you. He and Angelo went hand in hand, take that for what you will.
I'm sure Lovie had SOME input on personnel, but not as you stated control in his contract. There are some guys we know Lovie had a big voice in drafting, Henry Melton and Matt Forte chief amongst them. We also know that Angelo had a poor draft history before being paired w/ Lovie Smith and made some wtf choices of guys who didn't fit what the Bears wanted to do at all (Jarron Gilbert for example).

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising.

Should go for an offensive minded HC.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: I'd imagine it's the case, but helps to confirm - was his whole staff (including ST coach Dave Toub) fired? If so, I want Toub for Christmas.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Badger75

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MonserinNC wrote:
Lovie would be awesome for the Browns IMO....the perfect stepping stone type coach where he could get the Browns to like 8 wins and be competitive.

Im not sure about the Bills or Philly......in general Chicago is a franchise that doesnt deal with alot of overpriced FA's....Lovie had a hand in that as well....I dont think he is fond of vets who are stuck in their ways.

I would be really intrigued to see him with the Browns though....Browns have been stocking defensive talent...will bring in a new GM who will work super close with Lovie like Angelo did....really could raise them up to a regular 8 win team.

This is a rather absurd statement. Want a list of aging QB's the Bears have signed in recent years? Kordell Stewart....it will continue no matter who coaches the Bears. HH loves overlapping contracts that confuse lines of authority. And the thrill of novelty at HH is obvious. Cool
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Question: I'd imagine it's the case, but helps to confirm - was his whole staff (including ST coach Dave Toub) fired? If so, I want Toub for Christmas.

No, they are all under contract. However, they are expected to be all let go (or most of them at least) after a new coach is hired. Dave Toub might be a guy to get some head coaching interviews, but who knows.

I know Toub was interviewed for the Dolphins HC job last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: