Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Should Jerry Reese Do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: What Should Jerry Reese Do? Reply with quote

Take a look at the different positions and say what you think the Giants should do.

Coaching- TC will be back. Unfortunetly, Gilbride, who was once rumored as a BC HC canidate, will be back. I don't think Fewell will be let go either. But maybe bring in someone with same unique ideas for defensive and offensive. Defensive had a lot of injuries, but Offensive was too vanilla.

QB- Eli is still Eli-te to me. Carr should be resigned as backup. Bring a developmental QB (Jeff Tuel?) for the Practice Squad.

RB- Earth (Brown), Wind (Bradshaw), and Fire (Wilson) 2.0 will be back, but Reese should bring in a couple vets in case 1 or more gets injured. Dare we say Brandon Jacobs? Kregg Lumpkin is reliable at least. Hynoski is entrenched at FB.

WR- I believe Randle is ready to step up full-time in our 3 WR sets. Nicks needs health. Cruz needs to stop dropping. Hixon should be back at a reasonable price as depth WR/ST. Add in another rookie, an UDFA like Chad Bumphis) and a KR/PR whether its Jernigan or a FA.

TE- Robinson will hopefully be ready after a full year to give us a 2nd good TE, but I still believe Bennett should be resigned. There is little FA depth or we would have to use another draft pick to get a replacement. Bear can wear many hats so he still has value.

C/G- Do we cut Baas? I say we do if/when we can ensure we have a reliable replacement. We don't have to do it yet. Boothe should have a reasonable price tag and be back. Snee is still the best of the bunch. Brandon Mosley could be looked at G to either replace Snee in the future or Boothe with him sliding down. Any extra picks we get can be used for intirior OL depth and sign a cheaper placeholder OG like "Butt-Fumble" Brandon Moore. Spending $6 million+/year on a FA guard never works out.

OT- Priority #1 is resign Will Beatty. He has finally become the LT we need. Priority #2 is cut Diehl right away. An OL needs continuity as much as talent. Use our 2nd Rnd pick on an OT (Dallas Thomas) and sign a reasonable FA. I like Will Svitek.

DT- Linval Joseph is 1 starter. Canty should be back if he's willing to take a pay cut. He can still make an impact when healthy, but isn't worth his current salary. Draft a DT in the mid-rnds. Have Kuhn and Ausitn fight for a spot. Sign a FA too. Richard Seymour has been suggested. Sounds good to me.

DE- JPP is a beast and can play either DE position. Tuck, I believe, would take a pay cut down to $3 million or so. Osi is gone. He played great, but its time to move on. We then use an Day 1-2 pick on a DE (Dantone Jones in Rnd 3 for me). Moving Kiwi to DE permanently would give us more depth and bring new blood to our LB core.

LB- There is no questioning, our starting LB core, Chase, Kiwi, and Boley is probably the worst in the league. It needs an overhaul. Kiwi is moved to DE. His replacement could be a FA. A reasonably priced FA like Brad Jones could fit well as a SAM LB. Chase should be resigned as a FA, but for depth purposes and ST ace. His replacement at MIKE could be Boley (if we don't cut him) or a rookie (Alex Ogletree or Khaseem Green a little earlier, Gerald Hodges a little later). We can ask Boley for a pay cut. Rivers is hurt and not very effective. He's a FA and can move on. It's JWill's time for a permanent starting role at WILL.

SAF- Kenny Phillips has been great, but his price tag with his injuries make him to expensive for a high-end long-term deal he will get elsewhere. Trel will be back at 1 spot. I recommend splurging a bit for William Moore, a really good combo safety that fits our scheme and is on a team that just resigned a SAF last year to big money and have 2 big money CBs. Stevie Brown and Will Hill has proved to provide excellent depth and ST. IMHO, I can't see Brown repeating his success, which is why I'm leary of relying on him. He's been a ST Journeyman. No question he was great this year, but now teams will have film on in the offseason. Hill probably needs another year after being away from the game so long. He can replace Trel in 2014.

CB- Prince established himself as 1 starter, but another is needed. Hosley is best suited for slot duty. Using a 1st Round pick (Jonathan Banks, Xavier Rhodes, or Jordan Pyor) would give us a #2. Webster could be given a pay cut to $1.5-2 mil. Say no, then your cut. TT2 is gone with his option not picked up. Adding a 2nd CB through the draft (Honey Badger?) or another 1-2 in FA gives us depth. Marcus Trufant sounds good.

ST- Weatherford and DeOssie are safe. Tynes is a FA. I say draft Dustin Hopkins in Rnd 6, save $2 mil, and don't look back. With Wilson and Randle stepping into offensive roles, we could use a KR/PR. Jernigan hasn't proven anything, so a FA (Bengals's Brandon Tate) or a late Rnd pick/UDFA like O.J. McDuffie could be a replacement.

What do you think Jerry Reese should do at each or a certain position?
Acgott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB: Do not think that Bradshaw is a guarantee to come back. He is making nearly 4 million and that is a lot to pay for a mostly injured backup running back.

Jacobs is done, he is not rejoining the Giants

Brown is a Exclusive Rights FA so he should be back

For the OL we need to sign or draft a OG or C and hopefully Brewer can win the RT spot. We need to resign Beatty badly

DT: We need Canty to reduce his salary and we need to draft another one

LB: Boley WILL be cut, he barely played our last few games, our LBs are garbage and we need a new one at MLB and SLB. Jwill can play the WLB

CB: Webster whole entire salary can be turned into a bonus which will reduce his capt hit.

S: With Phillips probably gone even we need to draft one badly. There is talk with T2 moving here if he can recover from his 3rd ACL injury.

In conclusion our draft better be BPA at ANY of the defensive positions and we sign a starting caliber OL.
dkebones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my estimation this will not be a particularly popular idea, but (and i'm assuming that Chance Warmack goes to Dallas with the pick prior to us) the "smartest" pick that we might make would be taking Barret Jones. His versatility on the OL is basically unmatched in this draft. he would be the eventual replacement for Baas/Boothe, but can play any position on the line (former All-SEC left tackle).

i know it won't be the "popular" choice, but its a smart one.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB- Yep

QB EDIT: We are signing Curtis Painter, so David Carr's time may be coming to an end. http://www.bigblueview.com/2013/1/4/3836022/new-york-giants-roster-moves-curtis-painter-jake-muasau-matt-mccants-matt-broha

RB-Yep but I think Bradshaw should be the fire and Wilson should be the Wind. Smile I think we should look at the very late rounds for another runningback. I am looking at Zac Stacy, Vanderbilt, and if we are lucky, maybe from the trade down we can do that some people want we can try Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina if he drops far enough.

WR- Yea agree with everything, definitely need to try and get Hixon for at least another year. Get another WR undrafted or through free agency. I don't like the way Nicks' health is acting.

Note: If we want to try something new in our offense we can kill two-three birds with 1 stone sorta and draft Dri Archer. He is projected to run high 4.20s or low 4.30s, and can play RB, WR, KR, PR. I have always wanted a Darren Sproles kinda guy. But Unlikely sadly.

TE- Resign Bennett, Adrien Robinson is supposed to be the "JPP of TEs" so this spot should be good.

C/G- Snee is staying cause of family. Boothe should be resigned. Baas I think we are stuck with for now.

OT- Will Beatty resign. Diehl cut. Draft someone in 1st or 2nd round. Im thinking also about Dallas Thomas. Or we can take a risk and go for the Wisconsin Rick Wagner.

OT EDIT: Locklear gets resigned also. Also something interesting about Locklear: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/under-pressure/2013/under-pressure-no-openings - Only OT with 500+ snaps that didn't lettup a sack.

DT- Linval Joseph is good. Canty will take a pay cut most likely. I am interested in what Kuhn is all about. Austin probably get cut during preseason next season. I like Sheldon Richardson in the 1st round but that conflicts with us getting Johnathan Banks. Seymour I don't want because age, injuries, may ask for alot of money, leadership problems. If we go through free agency for a DT though a player we could look at could be Justin Bannan. He won't cost as much.

DE- My favorite. JPP is getting lessons from Strahan this offseason hopefully so he will probably explode next season. Tuck needs a paycut. Osi is gone like you said. You say Dantone Jones in Round 3. Well I say Devin Taylor in Round 4/5. The thing is if we are even thinking about releasing Osi, that must mean we are confident in Adrian Tracy and Ojomo. Plus I just love Devin Taylor for some reason. He is 6-7, 270 and was one of South Carolina's best DEs if not the best until that beast of a man Clowney came.

LB- Chase was our best LB this season, that is saying something. Jacquian Williams has WILL pretty locked for the future. Keep Blackburn for one more year. I am not a real fan of Ogletree from Georgia but everyone hear likes him, so who knows. There are some good LBs coming out in free agency so we can look there. Kiwi can move to DE so that just adds to the point that we don't need to spend too high of a pick for DE. But Reese loves him some DEs so i am not sure. I think we need to find some athletic LBers in draft I like are ofcourse Te'o, Jones, Arthur Brown, and Khasheem Greene. I am hearing alot of good stuff about Andrew Jackson, from Western Kentucky though, but don't know if he is declaring.

SAF- Kenny Phillips should be resigned, but will probably be given a better offer by another team because we might need to pay cut him. Antrel Rolle is fine for now. Brown was a nice pickup. Will Hill has potential. I want Cooper Taylor, S, Richmond as undrafted pickup though. Adds depth, was once best SS for Georgia Tech, familiar with 3 safety set, tall, etc. However he has Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome. Also we have Tyler Sash, forgot to mention. We are good at safety.

CB- Prince is good he just needs a partner. Cut Terell Thomas or a very low paycut. Cut Corey Webster's pay aswell. Draft Johnathon Banks or Jordan Poyer in 1st rounds, Or go with sleepers B.W. Webb from William & Mary(nickel corner though) or Sanders Commings from Georgia. When it comes to cornerbacks nowadays I marvel at Seattle. Their cornerbacks are both over 6'2 and get the job done. So I would prefer Johnathan Banks and Sanders Commings.

ST- This spot is good. However we should be looking for a new kicker. Dustin Hopkins would work, and for returning I point you at Dri Archer.

Thats what I got to say. Good stuff.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked on Archer. He is a Junior, and at his size is a Day 3 pick, so maybe next year. Put in Theo Riddick in my mock offseason. He is bigger and not as fast as Sproles, but was a great all-purpose back/WR/KR at ND so he gives us some options.
ESKY008

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:
in my estimation this will not be a particularly popular idea, but (and i'm assuming that Chance Warmack goes to Dallas with the pick prior to us) the "smartest" pick that we might make would be taking Barret Jones. His versatility on the OL is basically unmatched in this draft. he would be the eventual replacement for Baas/Boothe, but can play any position on the line (former All-SEC left tackle).

i know it won't be the "popular" choice, but its a smart one.

I 100% agree. Not at 19 though (atm). We need to move back. I can't see him blowing up the combine but he has giants written all over him.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see very few problems with the coaching staff and more of the players under performing.

Bringing back Jacobs is a horrible idea, with his time in SF I've come to realize he is just a cancer waiting to be poked at and should just be left alone.

Randle at 3rd will be good, Cruz will have less targets because of it which in turn will limit his drops.

Hopefully Bennett will resign because at a TE position he's what we need right now. He also know's our offense and teaching another TE will just be a waste of a year.

Our O-Line will be shaped by the draft, depending on who TC drafts they will most likely start a few games.

Our D-Line should return to its true form, wouldn't be surprised in a 5/6th round pick DT. Tuck and Jpp should be able to man down the line, and hopefully Kiwi is put on permanent D-line (which I highly doubt will happen)

On the Lb situation Boley stays, along with Chase. Kiwi hopefully gets moved down to our D-Line and depending on the draft Ogletree should sub in for him.

Not sure on the Saftey/CB positions, I'm positive Brown and Prince will be starting. With Websters "decline" he looks to be gone (Traded). Hopefully
Thomas can come back from his injury, I highly doubt he can. But before he got hurt returning from his first injury he looked like the good ole TT.

I believe our ST guys are safe (Tynes/Weatherford ), but wouldnt be shocked if we drafted a Kicker

Not a Knicks fan
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we get Kiwi back at DE. If I remember correctly he played much better there than at LB. He's also on the record saying he likes playing DE much better...so I'd love some quality LB falling to us at some point.

Hopefully we can get an O lineman at some point to replace Diehl. That's the only big problem we have with the line IMO.

I don't really have any issues with the coaches...but that's usually my stance 'round here Razz I just wish Killdrive would turn the offense over to Eli more often and run a no-huddle similar to what the Pats do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: