Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Egnew Sighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12796
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Good gawd, Egnew boils my blood. If Egnew is a total bust it means that Ireland traded away a probowl wide out for a 3rd round pick. Its so frickin' annoying that he is till employed. Its inexcusable. The Marshall trade alone should get Ireland's butt canned.
And to think we considered Chris Givens with that pick, and somehow chose Egnew over him. Mad


OR how about TY HILTON! or Mohammad Sanu! So, so annoying. We had a huge need at WR and either was available and by many prognosticators they were the best at WR left. As it turns out, either would have been an upgrade to our unit. Many, many of our posters here and fans wanted both of those guys, and I don't recall anyone here wanting Egnew. The brainchild that is Ireland made the very wrong call.


Normally I would have a rebuttal in defense of Ireland, but I can't for this...while I understand moving Marshal (to a point) his use of this pick is just bad. I almost feel like he tries to hard to find that gem. If he indeed has a poor off-season I will eat crow and admit I was wrong about Ireland....he needs a good off season more then anyone else and with the Owner's support and plenty of picks and money to make something happen he can't eff it up.

Article on Egnew....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/growing-consensus-egnew-wont-make-it.html

This quote is from one of the players on the team...

"He's a p---y," the second player said. "He's not a football player."

I guess the biggest concern is confirmed. I personally doubt he makes it through the off-season.


My experience, which is limited, has been that when teammates make comments like this about fellow teammates, its often spot on. The truth is, no one knows who is good, bad or otherwise, better than the players playing against these guys in practice. I still recall when the Dolphins had Kevin Vickerson and Manny Wright in camp. The lockerroom said that Wright was a p***y and that Vickerson needed to grow, but had man sized push about him. Wright is probably playing arena ball and Vickerson is part of the foundation of one of the NFL's better defenses in Denver. They were rookies when the comments were made by teammates. Later that preseason in practice, Manny Wright was seen crying on the practice field. Players know best.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ViolentMonk71


Joined: 06 May 2005
Posts: 3766
Location: Don Shula's front porch
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
ViolentMonk71 wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Deadeye wrote:
Mercury22 wrote:
Good gawd, Egnew boils my blood. If Egnew is a total bust it means that Ireland traded away a probowl wide out for a 3rd round pick. Its so frickin' annoying that he is till employed. Its inexcusable. The Marshall trade alone should get Ireland's butt canned.
And to think we considered Chris Givens with that pick, and somehow chose Egnew over him. Mad


OR how about TY HILTON! or Mohammad Sanu! So, so annoying. We had a huge need at WR and either was available and by many prognosticators they were the best at WR left. As it turns out, either would have been an upgrade to our unit. Many, many of our posters here and fans wanted both of those guys, and I don't recall anyone here wanting Egnew. The brainchild that is Ireland made the very wrong call.


Normally I would have a rebuttal in defense of Ireland, but I can't for this...while I understand moving Marshal (to a point) his use of this pick is just bad. I almost feel like he tries to hard to find that gem. If he indeed has a poor off-season I will eat crow and admit I was wrong about Ireland....he needs a good off season more then anyone else and with the Owner's support and plenty of picks and money to make something happen he can't eff it up.

Article on Egnew....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2013/01/growing-consensus-egnew-wont-make-it.html

This quote is from one of the players on the team...

"He's a p---y," the second player said. "He's not a football player."

I guess the biggest concern is confirmed. I personally doubt he makes it through the off-season.


My experience, which is limited, has been that when teammates make comments like this about fellow teammates, its often spot on. The truth is, no one knows who is good, bad or otherwise, better than the players playing against these guys in practice. I still recall when the Dolphins had Kevin Vickerson and Manny Wright in camp. The lockerroom said that Wright was a p***y and that Vickerson needed to grow, but had man sized push about him. Wright is probably playing arena ball and Vickerson is part of the foundation of one of the NFL's better defenses in Denver. They were rookies when the comments were made by teammates. Later that preseason in practice, Manny Wright was seen crying on the practice field. Players know best.


They do....I think the OC knows it to....he even said if it were up to him he would have cut him in the pre-season. Some guys play football because they have always been told that is what they should do. "Look at how big and fast you are....you should play football"...then the more they play the more it becomes apparent that they don't like the sport and they wash out, the desire is not there....the players can see it on the practice field, in workouts, and how the player carries his self.

I almost forgot about Manny....Saban makes NFL player cry on practice field....
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6955
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was Sparano who said it, but I always liked it: Throw them into the fire and see if they bite back. If they don't bite early they probably never will.

There are exceptions to that, but at least as a skill position player you should flash in your first 16 games. It doesn't have to often. Miller hardly ever played but we saw flashes, and that he probably was the best pure runner on the team. Not the weapon Bush is, at least not yet, but the best runner. Matthews showed he can separate. He doesn't have the best hands, but he has pretty good feet and gets open fairly often. Vernon won the Jets game. Had two sacks in another game, played sound in his role. Not great but we saw a light turn on. Martin had a few good games and a few bad, but overall he only got Tannehill annihilated one time, so for playing most of his rookie season on the right side that isn't awful.

Tannehill flashed good and bad. I'm not getting TOO excited about him, but he showed he can about a top 15-20 QB next season with more help and improvement. At best I think he can be about the 8th best QB in the NFL, and you can win with that. If he gets there I'll be content.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercury22


Most Valuable Poster (1st Ballot)

Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 12796
Location: the 50 yard line
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolphan9954 wrote:
I think it was Sparano who said it, but I always liked it: Throw them into the fire and see if they bite back. If they don't bite early they probably never will.

There are exceptions to that, but at least as a skill position player you should flash in your first 16 games. It doesn't have to often. Miller hardly ever played but we saw flashes, and that he probably was the best pure runner on the team. Not the weapon Bush is, at least not yet, but the best runner. Matthews showed he can separate. He doesn't have the best hands, but he has pretty good feet and gets open fairly often. Vernon won the Jets game. Had two sacks in another game, played sound in his role. Not great but we saw a light turn on. Martin had a few good games and a few bad, but overall he only got Tannehill annihilated one time, so for playing most of his rookie season on the right side that isn't awful.

Tannehill flashed good and bad. I'm not getting TOO excited about him, but he showed he can about a top 15-20 QB next season with more help and improvement. At best I think he can be about the 8th best QB in the NFL, and you can win with that. If he gets there I'll be content.


I agree. A player should flash in his first season. Consistency comes with time, but generally you can see something early on. I think there are some positions where that can be an exception. CB, for example. I think CB takes a bit longer. WR is another position where it can take some time to develop and it may be harder to show flash early in ones career. RB is probably one of the easiest positions to come in and show skills early.
_________________
"22 players are involved in every football play. To value precisely the activity of one of them, it is first necessary to account for the actions of the other 21"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaiowas05


Joined: 30 Dec 2009
Posts: 1123
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOLFAN016 wrote:
Wouldn't doubt if we end up taking somebody like Ertz or Fauria with one of our 2nd round picks. Either one of them could turn into a #1 TE and a great redzone target with their height.


no to Fauria that early. I'm no expert but he's not a tight end by NFL standards yet.
_________________
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dolphan9954


Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 6955
Location: Miami
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercury22 wrote:
dolphan9954 wrote:
I think it was Sparano who said it, but I always liked it: Throw them into the fire and see if they bite back. If they don't bite early they probably never will.

There are exceptions to that, but at least as a skill position player you should flash in your first 16 games. It doesn't have to often. Miller hardly ever played but we saw flashes, and that he probably was the best pure runner on the team. Not the weapon Bush is, at least not yet, but the best runner. Matthews showed he can separate. He doesn't have the best hands, but he has pretty good feet and gets open fairly often. Vernon won the Jets game. Had two sacks in another game, played sound in his role. Not great but we saw a light turn on. Martin had a few good games and a few bad, but overall he only got Tannehill annihilated one time, so for playing most of his rookie season on the right side that isn't awful.

Tannehill flashed good and bad. I'm not getting TOO excited about him, but he showed he can about a top 15-20 QB next season with more help and improvement. At best I think he can be about the 8th best QB in the NFL, and you can win with that. If he gets there I'll be content.


I agree. A player should flash in his first season. Consistency comes with time, but generally you can see something early on. I think there are some positions where that can be an exception. CB, for example. I think CB takes a bit longer. WR is another position where it can take some time to develop and it may be harder to show flash early in ones career. RB is probably one of the easiest positions to come in and show skills early.


But I mean a CB will show if he is a player or not. You can tell the way they move, the way they play, if they tackle and how they play the ball. WR should at least be able to provide something on day 1. Whether that is as a returner, a field stretcher or a solid third down/redzone target. I feel like if a receiver can't provide you with a useful skill by week 10 then they aren't worth your time.
_________________


Phinisher on the Avatar
MDolphins2399 on the sig


Go Canes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group