Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

UPDATE: Kiffin DC, Marinelli DL, Nutt RB coach
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: Kiffin DC, Marinelli DL, Nutt RB coach Reply with quote

edit 3:

marinelli dl
Houston nutt rb coach

clarencehilljr: Looks like former arkansas coach Houston Nutt will join cowboys as running backs coach and former Bears DC Rod Marinelli for DL coach

see page 7
Edit 2:

Quote:
And Marinelli apparently has a destination in mind.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Marinelli is expected to go to Dallas to join the staff of new Cowboys defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/17/marinelli-expected-to-join-kiffin-in-dallas/

Quote:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

For those asking about ex-Bears DC Rod Marinelli, #Cowboys source says he "expects" Marinelli to join Kiffin's Dallas staff in some capacity

EDIT - Its official:

Quote:
Per @Edwerderespn, the Dallas Cowboys have reached agreement with Monte Kiffin to become their defensive coordinator.

Quote:
Jeff Sullivan ‏@SullyBaldHead Sounding like what we said yesterday is true, Cowboys want a DC in place by tomorrow, and it looks like Kiffin.

Quote:
Kiffin resigned as defensive coordinator at USC, where his son Lane is the head coach, and expressed his desire to return to the NFL.

Jones, Garrett and Kiffin could not be reached for comment.

Andy Reid was interested in appointing Kiffin to be his defensive coordinator when he took over the Kansas City Chiefs but Kiffin was not interested in that opportunity.

Kiffin has been an NFL defensive coach for 26 years, half of those with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he helped the franchise win its only Super Bowl after Jon Gruden replaced Tony Dungy.

Garrett was a backup quarterback with the Bucs in 2004 when Kiffin was the defensive coordinator.

Kiffin is creator of the Tampa 2 defense and is the mastermind of one of the most successful defenses in league history. The Bucs ranked in the top 10 in fewest yards and points allowed 10 times, a league record.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8832382/monte-kiffin-focus-dallas-cowboys-search-defensive-coordinator

Quote:
Rapoport noted that the Kansas City Chiefs also were interested in Kiffin. But ESPN's Ed Werder reported Kiffin was not interested in working for Kansas City. It's remarkable Kiffin can dictate where he gets a job.

Garrett and Kiffin have worked together before; Garrett was a reserve quarterback for the Bucs in 2004.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000124553/article/monte-kiffin-drawing-interest-from-dallas-cowboys

Quote:
According to multiple sources both inside and outside of Valley Ranch, Kiffin met with Cowboys’ owner/GM Jerry Jones on Thursday and could be the next defensive coordinator, in a move that might be announced as early as Thursday, or perhaps Friday.

Kiffin, who has never been a head coach, has coached for 46 seasons, including 25 in the NFL, most notably a 13-year run in Tampa Bay.

This move would also signal a philosophical change to a 4-3 scheme. The Cowboys have run a 3-4 since 2005.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-NickEatman/Eatman-All-Signs-Pointing-Towards-Kiffin-As-Next-DC/25ccfbf0-4db7-4820-a140-9dca1c5afc25

I am a big proponent of this. I think we have personal that is better suited for the 4-3.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.

Last edited by Matts4313 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I am a big proponent of this. I think we have personal that is better suited for the 4-3.

You must not watch a lot of USC football games... Laughing
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:

I dont think college =/= NFL. In his last 12 years in the NFL, he had a top 10 defense 11 times.

The guys who are mimicking his defense (Seahawks, Bears, Vikings) are having a lot of success doing it.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seattle doesn't run a Cover 2. The Cover 2 arrived at USC when Pete Carroll left.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love this. Kiffin has lost it.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Kikuchiyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major downgrade for the boys if true. I like it. Very Happy

A Big Thanks To PatsDynasty21
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
Seattle doesn't run a Cover 2. The Cover 2 arrived at USC when Pete Carroll left.

Quote:
In 2006 Bradley joined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as their defensive quality control coach, working closely with defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin in the organization and implementation of the defensive game plan. In 2007 Bradley was promoted to linebackers coach after previous linebackers coach Joe Barry left to become defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions.

On January 12, 2009, the Seattle Seahawks hired Bradley to become the teams new defensive coordinator.[3] He has been warmly recommended for the job by former Buccaneers defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Bradley

As a Kiffin protege, I assumed he ran some of the similar defensive sets.

plan9misfit wrote:

TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

I dont think college =/= NFL. In his last 12 years in the NFL, he had a top 10 defense 11 times.

The guys who are mimicking his defense (Seahawks, Bears, Vikings) are having a lot of success doing it.

If you say so. I think the Cowboys D will be alright as long as it can stay healthy. Too many studs not to with Lee, Carter, Ware, Carr and Mo.

Just think there are better options. NFL teams are moving to more spread and zone concepts that Kiffin seemed to struggle against in college. We'll see what happens...
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people saying Kiffin has lost it? Maybe his D doesn't work in the Pac 12, but the NFL doesn't run Pac 12 offenses. Plus, the D really isn't that great, as their talent was overrated IMO.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:

If you say so. I think the Cowboys D will be alright as long as it can stay healthy. Too many studs not to with Lee, Carter, Ware, Carr and Mo.

Just think there are better options. NFL teams are moving to more spread and zone concepts that Kiffin seemed to struggle against in college. We'll see what happens...

The Tampa 2 can't stop spread offenses or the option. The schemes don't mesh.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Why are people saying Kiffin has lost it? Maybe his D doesn't work in the Pac 12, but the NFL doesn't run Pac 12 offenses. Plus, the D really isn't that great, as their talent was overrated IMO.

Stanford and UCLA would disagree...
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So front 7 would be?

Carter Lee Connor?

Ware Ratliff Hatcher Spencer(FA?)

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is:

Ware - Ratliff - Spears/Lissemore - Hatcher/Crawford

Carter - Lee - Wilber/albright

Spencer is a FA and will not likely be back.

plan9misfit wrote:

lionslicer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiffin's defense isn't bad, he just refuses to adapt. With the right personnel, the Tampa 2 is very dangerous, but he never got that personnel in college. I don't know if he can get it with Dallas, I don't know their roster situation or who they will draft/bring in with free agency.

I don't like the idea of Ware as a full time defensive end (he's actually gotten pretty good in pass coverage compared to other 3-4 OLBs), but with Tampa Kiffin used defensive ends in zone a fair amount, so it's not like Ware will be playing a completely new position.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Chiefs fan, I am glad he "rejected" the Chiefs. Now we need to hire John Dorsey as our GM and start to raid the Green Bay coaching staff.....Darren Perry as our DC would be nice.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: