Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Report: Jets to hire Tom Gamble as GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Quote:
@MMehtaNYDN
So to recap expanded Jets GM search: Upcoming interviews for Jerry Angelo, Omar Khan, Brian Gaine, John Idzik. Jim Popp also on radar. #nyj

The Jets have just randomly gone HAM after a few days of silence.

Jimmy Raye too.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Quote:
@MMehtaNYDN
So to recap expanded Jets GM search: Upcoming interviews for Jerry Angelo, Omar Khan, Brian Gaine, John Idzik. Jim Popp also on radar. #nyj

Popp would be a good hire. I'd keep my fingers crossed for him if I were you. Sadly, I think the biggest thing that's making candidates shy away from the Jets isn't actually Rex... it's Woody. Most guys are lucky if they get one crack at the big job in this league and Woody has shown to be far more Jerry Jones than Art Rooney or Robert Kraft. Not too many guys want to bank that one shot on an owner that's shown to be a little too insistent on being "hands-on".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Quote:
@MMehtaNYDN

Jimmy Raye too.

Nope. He's not getting interviewed by any NFL team other than the Chargers most likely.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
green24 wrote:
Quote:
@MMehtaNYDN

Popp would be a good hire. I'd keep my fingers crossed for him if I were you. Sadly, I think the biggest thing that's making candidates shy away from the Jets isn't actually Rex... it's Woody. Most guys are lucky if they get one crack at the big job in this league and Woody has shown to be far more Jerry Jones than Art Rooney or Robert Kraft. Not too many guys want to bank that one shot on an owner that's shown to be a little too insistent on being "hands-on".

Just to point this out, but the Tim Tebow move from all indications was all Tannenbaum, not Woody Johnson. That is at least what reporters are saying from their sources. I think it makes sense, if it was Woody Johnson wouldn't he have made them start Tebow?

I think the biggest problem is the cap situation, Tannenbaum screwed this team with some awful contracts. Its going to be difficult for any GM in 2013. Especially the Mark Sanchez contract, makes it difficult to get a veteran QB to start next season.

Props to El Ramster on the sig
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.Revis24 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
green24 wrote:
Quote:
@MMehtaNYDN

Just to point this out, but the Tim Tebow move from all indications was all Tannenbaum, not Woody Johnson. That is at least what reporters are saying from their sources. I think it makes sense, if it was Woody Johnson wouldn't he have made them start Tebow?

I think the biggest problem is the cap situation, Tannenbaum screwed this team with some awful contracts. Its going to be difficult for any GM in 2013. Especially the Mark Sanchez contract, makes it difficult to get a veteran QB to start next season.

Not necessarily. You're assuming that Woody wanted Tebow as an actual QB and not as a media-spur? Look at the climate in the media at the time of the acquisition: The "other" team in NY had just won another Superb Owl. Woody, for the sake of his ego (which are we really going to debate the man has a massive one at this point?), needed a quick-fix to keep his team media-relevant. Tebow achieves that. Even by virtue of Tebow never playing, Tebow achieves that... as we saw... all year long. In fact, Tebow NOT starting gets them more media attention than Tebow actually starting because the media can continue to spin the "why isn't he starting?," "is Tim Tebow the answer?" headline.

If the aim was purely an attention grab then it's not unreasonable in the least to suspect that Woody would be the one it's attributable to. And regardless of what actually was, perception is huge in this industry. If these outside candidates perceive that Woody Johnson is a wild-card, too-hands-on owner to work for, they are simply going to be less likely to risk their perceived "one shot" at the big job on doing so working for him. A retread GM candidate may be more likely to take that job because he may perceive it as the only second chance he may get in an industry where they aren't often given.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: