Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

HakeemTheDream's 2nd Off-Season Mock Draft

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: HakeemTheDream's 2nd Off-Season Mock Draft Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream’s Off-Season Mock (Version 2)

My last mock posted was very preliminary. I didn’t really research any prospects nor knew of any cap numbers for the Giants team. This time around, I have put more research into it. I’m no capologist, but I am going to try to use my elementary math for a more realistic mock than last time around. I suspect the salary cap to be $121 million (120.9 but I’m going to round up). All of my cap numbers for the Giants team has come from this article (http://snygiants.com/2013-new-york-giants/salary-cap-reese-giants-facing-winter-of-harsh-realities/). Definitely give it a read if you want a better understanding of the possibly offseason plans for the Giants. Remember, the cap only effects the top 51 players on the roster. I am giving the Giants a compensatory 5th round pick for the departures of Aaron Ross, Mario Manningham, and Dave Tollefson (Jacobs doesn’t count because he was cut; Giants signed Martellus Bennett to offset the pick somewhat).

Current Salary Cap Number for the Giants: $125.6 million ($4.7 million over the cap)

Players Returning:
- Jim Cordle, C, ERFA (1 year, minimum salary) – Solid backup center, guard, and long snapper.
- Stevie Brown, S, RFA (2nd round tender - 1 year, $1.9 million salary) – Because he is a RFA, Giants can bring him back at a less expensive price. I don’t see anyone offering Stevie a contract plus giving up a 2nd round pick, although I really wouldn’t mind a 2nd rounder for him.
- Adrian Tracy, DE, ERFA (1 year, minimum salary) – Re-signed to compete for the final DE spot. Did well in limited action last year, it’d be interesting to see what he could do with more playing time.
- Keith Rivers, LB, UFA (1 year, minimum salary) – Rivers is brought back for depth at linebacker. Couldn’t stay healthy last year, again, but hoping that he could stay out of the training room next year. Would be great for his future in the league.
- Lawrence Tynes, K, UFA (1 year, $1 million salary) – Bring him back to compete with the rookie kicker. Whoever has the better Pre-Season deserves the job.
- David Carr, QB, UFA (1 year, minimum salary) – Carr knows his role and does it well: hold the clipboard and watch Eli go to work. Why would he not want to remain here when he gets paid to chart plays?
- Andre Brown, RB, RFA (2nd round tender – 1 year, $1.9 million salary) – Brown really stepped his game up before injury last year. Giants need to tender him at the 2nd round if they want to keep him. I see him splitting carries with Wilson on early downs while letting Bradshaw do the 3rd down work.
- Kenny Phillips, S, UFA (5 year, $28.5 million salary) – KP is a MUST re-sign in my opinion. Such an integral part of this defense, even if he doesn’t make the splashy plays. This contract is relatively team and player friendly. I anticipate this contract contains multiple performance incentives, as Reese usually includes them into larger contracts. Most important defensive player outside of the DEs.
- Bear Pascoe, TE, RFA (original tender - $1.26 million salary) – brought back to compete with the rookie TE for the final roster spot at that position.
- Martellus Bennett, TE, UFA (3 year, $12 million salary) – MartyB really stepped up his game this year, and deserves to be rewarded. I think this contract would be good enough for him to stay, as he said he’d be willing to take a hometown discount. Good player who can potentially be great with another year under Pope’s wing.
- Domenik Hixon, WR, UFA (1 year, minimum salary) – The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, and Hixon knows it. Stays for depth at WR and special teams.
- Victor Cruz, WR, RFA (1st round tender – 1 year, $2.7 million salary) – Giants are too cap-ridden to give Cruz that huge contract this year. $2.7 million would be a nice raise for Cruz, who only made 1/5 of that last year in salary. A team may try to sign him to an offer, but I don’t see it because they will need to give up their 1st round pick too. Brings back the Nicks-Cruz duo with each of them up for a contract after the season. Could be quite a great showing this year knowing all that money is on the line.

Notable Players NOT Re-Signed:
- Kevin Boothe, OG – serviceable guard, but should be a backup who provides depth at guard and center, not a starter in the NFL. Just too inconsistent to be out there week-in and week-out.
- Will Beatty, OT – Beatty really stepped his game up this year, but now that amounts into a large pay day for him. As a LT, someone is going to give him big bucks that the Giants can’t afford. He is too injury prone and hasn’t shown consistent play to warrant an elite LT contract that he may get from another team.
- Osi Umenyiora, DE – It was a great ten years Osi, but we all know you are gone. Great run for one of my favorite Giants players ever.
- Chase Blackburn, LB – another great person and player for the Giants over the years, but it is time to move on. He made some splash plays, but also gave up too many easy ones too. Thanks for the memories, Chase.
- Rocky Bernard, DT – a good vet who provided needed depth this year with Canty starting on PUP. I wouldn’t mind seeing him back on a minimum contract.
- Ramses Barden, WR – I always thought he could be successful on this team, but it never worked out. I still think he can be successful in the NFL and whoever signs this guy is going to get a steal.
- Travis Beckum, TE – Never produced like a 3rd round pick should have.
- Sean Locklear, OT – Provided great depth at both LT and RT last year, but I don’t see him playing this year after that horrible injury.
- Justin Tryon, CB – Great special teamer, but he was terrible in coverage.

Contract Re-Structuring:
- Ahmad Bradshaw, RB ($5.25 million cap hit; $2.5 million to cut) – Bradshaw knows that his future with the team is cloudy, and he knows it, which is why he was unsure of his future when asked right after the season. Bradshaw is given the ultimatum: either take a pay cut (like Brandon Jacobs two seasons ago), or get cut (like Brandon Jacobs last season). Because he has a defined role with the team, Bradshaw takes the pay cut. His new salary should be around $2.75 million instead of the $5.25 million it was originally. His new role with the team is backup to David Wilson and primary 3rd down back because of his excellent pass protection and familiarity with the offense. SAVINGS: $2.75 million
- David Baas, C ($6.725 million cap hit; $6.675 million to cut) – Baas is not going anywhere this year, as seen by his price to cut. But after two years into his lucrative contract, Baas just isn’t living up to it. Everyone knows this, including himself. After not having to re-structure previously, Baas takes one for the team so they could bring in some help around him. Baas isn’t a Pro-Bowler, but he is an above average C in the NFL who excels in run blocking. New salary should be around $3.5 million instead of the ridiculous $6.725 that he is owed. SAVINGS: $3.25 million
- Chris Snee, OG ($8.78 million cap hit; $2.25 million to cut) – Snee would be a viable candidate to cut because of his massive savings ($6.5 million), but Coughlin’s son-in-law isn’t going anywhere. The Giants NEED his leadership along the line, and he is the ultimate team player. After an unwarranted Pro-Bowl season where Snee was oft injured, he knows this salary isn’t deserved. New salary should be around $4 million instead of the $8.78 million owed. SAVINGS: $3.75 million
- Justin Tuck, DE ($5.65 million cap hit; $1.5 million to cut) – Tuck would be a prime candidate for a release, but Jerry Reese sounded like he fully intended to have Tuck back next year. The captain of the defense has been invisible for much of the past two seasons, although much of that has been because of nagging injuries. Tuck truly deserves another chance to redeem himself for a lost season last year. His new salary will be around $3.5 million instead of the original $5.65 million. SAVINGS: $3.15 million

Players Released:
- David Diehl, OT ($7.45 million cap hit; $3 million to cut) – Good riddance, Mr. Diehl. I am thankful for all Diehl has done as a Giant since being drafted, and I know he exceeded everyone’s’ original expectations for him. But these last few years have been quite a disaster. Whether it be at LT, LG, or RT, Diehl has just not gotten it done. Not the cheapest person to cut, I see no possible way he returns to the Giants unless it is for minimum salary for depth purposes only. Thank you for all your contributions, but the Giants need to go a new direction along the offensive line. SAVINGS: $4.5 million
- Chris Canty, DT ($8.2 million cap hit; $1.7 million to cut) – This was the hardest decision for me, personally. Canty really provided a spark to the defensive line when he returned from injury last year, and showed that he is a valuable contributor to the unit. But that salary just isn’t plausible for a team having salary cap problems. I would be all for Canty taking a drastic pay cut (down to about $3-4 million) to stay with the team, but I don’t think he would accept it. A mutual parting on both sides. SAVINGS: $6.5 million
- Michael Boley, LB ($5.9 million cap hit; $0 to cut) – Boley’s time as a Giant have come to an end. Coughlin foreshadowed this decision by playing him less and less down the stretch, to the point where he was in on less than 50% of downs during W16 where the Giants used the 4-4 defense quite a bit. He was a valuable contributor these past few seasons but injuries have taken a toll, and his coverage was subpar. With the young talent at LB waiting to get more opportunities, Boley is almost a sure goner. SAVINGS: $5.9 million
- Corey Webster ($9.975 million cap hit; $875k to cut) – Talk about a no-brainer. Look over those numbers for a second… There is absolutely 0% chance Webster returns on that salary. I’d argue that after last season’s horrid play, he isn’t even worth a quarter of that. When Webster came on to the scene as a 2nd round pick, he was continually picked on to the point where he was inactive for games. That all changed during the 2007 playoff run, where he was shutdown. He continued that level of play for multiple years until this past season, where he was toasted nonstop. Maybe he lost a step, or three, but he is not a starting caliber CB in the NFL anymore. Giants cut him without second thought. SAVINGS: $9.1 million
- Terrell Thomas – (est. $4 million cap hit; $0 to cut) – It’s a forgone conclusion he won’t be back at his current contract he signed last year. I loved T2 as a player, I just can’t trust him as a CB anymore. Reese sounded like he would be willing to give him a chance at safety, but that would only happen with a new contract for the minimum or somewhere close to it. I’m all for bringing T2 back as a safety, as he played there in the past and looked pretty comfortable back there. SAVINGS: $4 million

Free Agent Signings:
Phil Loadholt, OT (5 years, $22 million salary) – Loadholt would be such a great acquisition for this team. Someone who can come in right away and start at RT for the foreseeable future. This signing would remind me of the Kareem McKenzie signing years ago. Loadholt is a middle tier tackle in a deep free agent class: Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Andre Smith, Brandon Albert, Sebastian Vollmer, Will Beatty, Gosder Cherilus, Loadholt, Jermon Bushrod, and Sam Baker. I’d be fine with signing anyone from this mentioned list. Loadholt will come relatively cheap in comparison to others. I read only five RTs are paid more than $5 million annually, which makes this contract seem are about par with what Loadholt deserves. Loadholt excels in the running game, and would give the Giants a great tandem of Snee and Loadholt for David Wilson to run behind. He really shores up an area of concern for the last few years.

Richard Seymour, DT (2 years, $8.5 million salary) – The solution to cutting Chris Canty? Seymour. I know Seymour isn’t the player he used to be in his prime, but he can still come in and contribute right away. He can start next to Linval which is a very formidable tandem. He won’t be worn out because the Giants will still use the NASCAR look a ton, but maybe if he can still get to the passer he can gain a spot in that unit. Could be a great opportunity for Seymour to try to have one last run for a championship.

Justin Durant, LB (3 years, $9 million salary) – Durant would be a relatively cheap acquisition that could start at OLB opposite Jacquain Williams for a few years. The Lions are going to have to choose between Levy and Durant this offseason, and Levy is the younger of the two with more potential. Durant has experience in the 4-3 and could hold his own right away as a two-down LB.

Antoine Cason, CB (1 year, $2.5 million salary) – Cason sure hasn’t lived up to the first round expectations in San Diego, and shouldn’t receive a lot of attention in the open market. He was benched mid-season for rookie Marcus Gilchrist, which may have humbled him a bit. Giants give him an opportunity similar to Martellus Bennett last year. A one-year, put up or shut up season where he can try to impress a team enough to give him a long-term deal. He would need to really change in order to earn that contract, but maybe he just needed a change of scenery.

Kyle Arrington, CB (1 year, $2 million salary) – Arrington would provide insurance and depth in case Cason doesn’t work out for the team. Arrington never really marveled in New England, but he is somewhat experienced and could bring something to the team. He failed to record and interception and was benched at one point this past season, but PFF graded him out as +2.6 in 844 snaps, which is solid for a CB with that many snaps. Provides depth and maybe a chance at starting opposite Prince if he impresses before the season.

Alan Branch, DT (1 year, $1 million salary) – Branch is just adding more depth to the interior of the defensive that just didn’t get the job done stopping the run this year. Branch can be a quality backup for Linval and complete the rotation of Linval, Seymour, Branch, and Austin/Kuhn.

NFL DRAFT:
1. Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan – You were probably reading this thing and going “who is going to protect Eli’s blindside?” Well the answer is Eric Fisher. Fisher is a prototypical LT at 6-8, 305 lbs. He will need to put on some more muscle, but I don’t see that as being a problem. He is very quick on his feet which helps with speed rushers and getting to the second level in the running game. Dominated his college competition but it’ll be interesting to see how he does against better competition. Has played LT, RT, and RG throughout his career. He really found his mark at LT. I don’t know if Coughlin would be willing to start a rookie at LT, but with Fisher’s talent, he can hold his own out there.

2. Larry Warford, OG, Kentucky – You thought the Giants were done drafting offensive linemen after the first round? You thought wrong. I know the Giants drafting two offensive linemen in the 1st two rounds is radical considering they haven’t used a 1st round pick on one since 1999 and a 2nd round pick on one since Beatty in 2008. But with all of the FAs leaving and the poor play from them last season, it really needs to happen. Warford is the essence of a mauler. At 6-3 340 lbs., he is a massive player but has surprising quickness. Makes his money in the run game, but is no slouch when it comes to pass blocking. Has some trouble getting to the second level, but at his size, it’s not surprising. Played against top notch competition in the SEC. The Fisher-Warford LT-LG combo could be around for a decade or so if they live up to potential. Perfect complement to put next to Fisher.

3. Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State – This is one of the most important acquisitions of the offseason for the Giants. Hodges is the perfect fit for the Giants at LB. A little small for MLB (6-2, 235 lbs.) but I think he can excel at the position anyways because of his speed. A big plus is that he is a product of Penn State, also known as Linebacker U. He won’t disappoint the tradition there. He was the leader of that defense this year and finished with 109 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, seven pass deflections, a forced fumble, and two fumble recoveries. Great instincts and a very physical player for his size. Definitely has three-down potential at the next level. I can see him being the leader of the Giants defense for the foreseeable future.

4. Jamar Taylor, CB, Boise State – Taylor is a dependable corner in both off-man and zone coverages. He struggles a bit with press, but that can be taught with technique. Very fluid as a corner and exceptional speed. Good ball skills and has a tendency to undercut routes for the pick. Doesn’t shy away from contact or run defending. At 5-11 and 198 lbs., he is perfect size for a corner. Could provide depth for the Giants at first but I could see him starting within two years or so. Lots of potential that can be unleashed with the right coaching.

5a. Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky – Smith is from a smaller school but has tons of production. He finished the year with 12.5 sacks, with 3 of them coming against D.J. Fluker of Alabama. He has ideal size for a RE (6-5, 250 lbs.) but his production has been very streaky. His sacks come in bunches, as he had 8 of 12 games this year without a sack. I don’t think he can contribute right away, but I think he can be molded into a potential starter in the future. Could situationally pass rush if called upon, but the Giants have good depth at DE.

5b. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama – Many TEs in college have a hard time transitioning to the NFL, especially on the Giants. Williams won’t have to worry about that. At 6-6 and 270 lbs., he is already ideal size to come in and contribute as a blocker. He was an integral part of Alabama’s running game these past few years. He is a pretty good athlete for his size and it could translate into becoming a better receiver at the next level. Could take Pascoe’s spot right away if he shows the coaches he is a capable blocker.

6. Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State – Pretty simple here. Giants draft Hopkins to compete with Tynes for the kicking job. Hopkins was the best kicker in college football last year. He went 5-6 from FGs of 50+ yards, which would be a nice change from Tynes less-than-ideal kicking strength. I think he can beat out Tynes, and it would save the Giants a few bucks if he did.

7. Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt – Stacy was a productive back at Vanderbilt, but had some trouble staying healthy throughout his career. Playing at the best competition in college should help him translate to the NFL. He can compete with Da’Rel Scott to provide depth at RB and also has experience in punt returns.

Final Salary Numbers: $118 million before draft picks. Draft picks usually cost around $4-5 million, so I am close but not perfect. Like I said, I’m not capologist so this is close enough for me. I was also rounding some numbers so I could be closer than I’ve added up. Either way, Reese would be able to mess with the cap numbers to get it under. And for anyone wondering I added up the salary cap to $82.7 million dollars with all of the releases and restructuring I mentioned above. That definitely gives the Giants some wiggle room for this offseason.

Final Depth Chart:
QB (2): Eli Manning, David Carr
RB (5): David Wilson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, Henry Hynoski, Da’Rel Scott/Zac Stacy
WR (5): Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan, Domenik Hixon
TE (3): Martellus Bennett, Adrien Robinson, Michael Williams/Bear Pascoe
OL (Cool: Eric Fisher, Phil Loadholt, Chris Snee, Larry Warford, David Baas, James Brewer, Jim Cordle, Brandon Mosley
DE (5): Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka, Quanterus Smith, Adewale Ojomo/Adrian Tracy
DT (4): Linval Joseph, Richard Seymour, Alan Branch, Marvin Austin/Marcus Kuhn
LB (6): Jacquain Williams, Gerald Hodges, Justin Durant, Spencer Paysinger, Mark Herzlich, Keith Rivers
CB (5): Prince Amukamara, Jayron Hosley, Kyle Arrington, Antoine Cason, Jamar Taylor
S (5): Kenny Phillips, Antrel Rolle, Stevie Brown, Will Hill, Tyler Sash
K (1): Lawrence Tynes/Dustin Hopkins
P (1): Steve Weatherford
LS (1): Zach DeOssie
*NOTE* This adds up to 51 roster spots. I think the Giants would add another OL and another LB from whoever performs best in Pre-Season with the few extra spots I left.

So now that I am finished, what do you think?
UF THE SWAMP 72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You.Are.A.Genius. I agree 99% with all of your signings/draft picks. Not a fan of a rb at all in the draft because we have Flip, Ahmad, and Brown (if healthy) and Scott if hes back. Also we have Torain who could surprise as a short yardage back next year. I LOVE the free agent signings. Arrington and Cason are huge pick ups. Seymour still has another very good year left in the tank (if healthy). Seymour would free up double teams that JPP sees. I think Seymour would aid in Linval Joseph's development. Alan Branch would also be a great pickup but do you think he would sign for just $1M a Year. If he would thats a STEAL. A DT rotation of Seymour, Joseph, and Branch would be fantastic. OVERALL, this mock made me really happy inside and made be even more excited for the real offseason to see who we pick up, who we let go, an who we draft. Kudos on a great mock!
ESKY008

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget there is roughly 20 players approx $10m in cap space savings in that original $125 mill. So with you're moves you should be under the cap.

Again really nice effort and descriptions bro
Conquest8089

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with you on Chris Canty. Career plagued by knee issues, Giants lost him in Green Bay Divisional Playoffs. Hurt himself in the third quarter, on the knee he'd had previous tears. The Cap Savings are also massive.

Boothe will be resigned. Giants value him more than most people understand.

I would not bring back Rivers. Giants need to upgrade LB corps, not maintain the status quo.

You underpay for Loadholt & Cason. Look at the deal a completely mediocre tackle Demetress Bell can garner. The market for tackles is out of control.

Seymour signing is great.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty nice mock. Just a few problems.

Corey Webster I doubt will be cut, most likely restructured. One bad year without a good pass rush to help and he gets cut? Naa, especially considering we have next to no depth at corner.

Will Beatty not getting resigned doesn't sound right. He is probably cheaper and better than Loadholt, so I don't know about that. There is also the chance loadholt gets resigned by the Vikings.

Kyle Arrington, will not be that cheap and he will be resigned by the Pats, they don't have corner depth either.

Draft is alright, not a fan at all of two o-line in the first two rounds, but other rounds look good, also even though Zac Stacy is a sleeper and can be really good I don't like Wilson, Brown, and Stacy as our future, where our the power backs? Brown is not really excessive power.

Also I am disappointed that with such a deep DL draft, we draft only 1 guy, and only 3 of our 8 picks is defense.

But if this off season were to happen, I wouldn't mind too much.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UF THE SWAMP 72 wrote:
You.Are.A.Genius. I agree 99% with all of your signings/draft picks. Not a fan of a rb at all in the draft because we have Flip, Ahmad, and Brown (if healthy) and Scott if hes back. Also we have Torain who could surprise as a short yardage back next year. I LOVE the free agent signings. Arrington and Cason are huge pick ups. Seymour still has another very good year left in the tank (if healthy). Seymour would free up double teams that JPP sees. I think Seymour would aid in Linval Joseph's development. Alan Branch would also be a great pickup but do you think he would sign for just $1M a Year. If he would thats a STEAL. A DT rotation of Seymour, Joseph, and Branch would be fantastic. OVERALL, this mock made me really happy inside and made be even more excited for the real offseason to see who we pick up, who we let go, an who we draft. Kudos on a great mock!

Thanks for the positive feedback! Stacy wasn't a need pick, I just didn't put much research into late round picks and I've been hearing many kind words about him on these forums. I'm pretty sure Torain if a free agent, although he may be restricted which means he will probably be back. Definitely agree about Seymour. He's got at least another very good year left, more likely two or three. I'm not sure how much Branch would cost. Seahawks signed him for 2 years, $7 milion before 2011, but I think he fell out of their rotation by the end of this year. So maybe my contract is possible, unless he doesn't garner much interest on the open market.

ESKY008 wrote:
Don't forget there is roughly 20 players approx $10m in cap space savings in that original $125 mill. So with you're moves you should be under the cap.

Again really nice effort and descriptions bro

Maybe it's because I've been in class all day today, but I don't understand what you are trying to explain here...

Conquest8089 wrote:
Agree with you on Chris Canty. Career plagued by knee issues, Giants lost him in Green Bay Divisional Playoffs. Hurt himself in the third quarter, on the knee he'd had previous tears. The Cap Savings are also massive.

Boothe will be resigned. Giants value him more than most people understand.

I would not bring back Rivers. Giants need to upgrade LB corps, not maintain the status quo.

You underpay for Loadholt & Cason. Look at the deal a completely mediocre tackle Demetress Bell can garner. The market for tackles is out of control.

Seymour signing is great.

I love Canty as a player, but that contract was just ridiculous and he never lived up to it. I'd love to have him back, but only at about half of what he is scheduled to make. Plus, I haven't heard anything about the knee he re-injured late in the year.

I wouldn't mind Boothe signed for depth, but I don't think he should be starting on the team. I'd give him $2 million annually to provide depth at guard and center.

Why not bring back Rivers? He won't command much more than veteran's minimum deal and he was productive in limited time this year. Could be a possible solution at MLB. He still has that first round talent, just can't stay on the field.

I don't think Loadholt or Cason were underpaid. Loadholt is a RT in a open market full of talented OTs, many of which play LT also. LTs get paid much more than RTs. I read that only 5 RTs get paid more than $5 million annually, and I don't think Loadholt is a top 5 RT. As for Cason, he was unbearably bad this year. He got benched and was the worse rated CB of all upcoming FAs, according to PFF. Maybe he gets slightly more, but he won't be much more and I can't see him getting any more than a two-year deal. Demetress Bell's contract was an anomaly. First of all, it really wasn't the 5 year, $34 million contract that was reported. It's essentially a one-year deal with an option after that year to trigger the rest of the deal. The Eagles knew they were going to keep him past this year because Jason Peters will be back from injury. Also, Bell played LT mostly in his career, which garners much more money than at RT. The market for LTs is out of control, but not really at RT.

Tehzl wrote:
Pretty nice mock. Just a few problems.

Corey Webster I doubt will be cut, most likely restructured. One bad year without a good pass rush to help and he gets cut? Naa, especially considering we have next to no depth at corner.

Will Beatty not getting resigned doesn't sound right. He is probably cheaper and better than Loadholt, so I don't know about that. There is also the chance loadholt gets resigned by the Vikings.

Kyle Arrington, will not be that cheap and he will be resigned by the Pats, they don't have corner depth either.

Draft is alright, not a fan at all of two o-line in the first two rounds, but other rounds look good, also even though Zac Stacy is a sleeper and can be really good I don't like Wilson, Brown, and Stacy as our future, where our the power backs? Brown is not really excessive power.

Also I am disappointed that with such a deep DL draft, we draft only 1 guy, and only 3 of our 8 picks is defense.

But if this off season were to happen, I wouldn't mind too much.

It will be tough to cut Webster, but at a savings of nearly $9 million, it makes too much sense not to. I'm all for him taking a legitimate paycut, as long as it is about 1/3 of what he is originally scheduled to make. There were signs of his play getting worse last year, and it was evident this year. He just can't man-up starting WRs anymore.

Beatty looks to be in for a big pay day if he hits the open market. A young, talented LT who finally hit his stride last year. I'd be surprised if he gets like than $30 million on the open market. I'd practically guarantee Beatty gets paid more than Loadholt, just for the fact that he can play LT where Loadholt is pretty much stuck on the right side. Of course Loadholt can be re-signed, as well as all the other players listed, but we will just have to wait and see what teams do first.

What makes you think Kyle Arrington will be expensive? He was benched mid-season for a rookie seventh-round pick this year, which says something drastic. If he does get a cheap contract, I could see him going back to New England, but if they really wanted him back, they would have made him a priority by now.

I know two OLs in the first two rounds isn't sexy, or very realistic when you look at the past Giants drafts, but it needs to be done eventually. The offensive line can only hold this team back for so long. Stacy was just a fill-in for the later rounds. He isn't necessarily needed, but could be a nice addition. I disagree about Brown, I think he has more than enough power to be the Giants power guy.

Overall, thanks for all the feedback guys! Expect more mock drafts coming up within the next few months!
ESKY008

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bro I'm not very good at explaining stuff. If you're using updated salary cap numbers which I'm pretty sure you are. That $125 million will include players like Levy Adcock, Browning, McCants etc usually they are signed for league min eg $480,000 some a little higher. Usually none will have bonuses so when they are cut there is no cap hit. You'll find there will be roughly 20 guys included in that cap that will be cut before the 53man squad. Therefore there should be roughly another $10 in cap space you can add onto you're numbers.

Another player to restructure is Eli. Considering his cap hit is nearly $21 mill
jerseyboy257

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Beatty may be the most important player on the team we NEED to resign. He did his job well last year and now he'll be able to protect Eli for the rest of his career maybe. Don't count on Fisher being there at 19, he could very much so be taken by the Chargers at 11 and the Rams at 16 both in desperate need of an upgrade. And now that Taylor Lewan is heading back to to college, Fisher is now the 2nd best tackle prospect behind Luke Joeckel. We addressed all offense last year, I think we need to be drafting defense this time around, and early.
JRot11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def agree with this.
jerseyboy257 wrote:
Don't count on Fisher being there at 19... now that Taylor Lewan is heading back to to college, Fisher is now the 2nd best tackle prospect behind Luke Joeckel.

We definitely need help on the line but, I'm not really comfortable going into next year with rookies at both LT and LG. A rookie on the line needs to be shown the ropes and work together with his fellow linemen and I don't want two rookies trying to figure it out on their own protecting Eli's blindside.

Also, think some of your dollar amounts are a little too unlikely. Kickers sign for more than 1 million these days. Look at recent kicker contracts. Backup QBs do not sign for league minimum, especially when they are experienced veterans with starting experience. This is not Carr's first year with us and he has never worked for league minimum. He'll cost anywhere from 900k - 1.2M. And much as we may want it, Baas has no reason to restructure his deal. Why should he? He knows we won't save anything but cutting him so his job is safe. Players don't just sacrifice out of goodness of their hearts very often and it's not like he's a QB making 15 mil plus endorsements who can afford to sacrifice so team can bring in more talent. I think Rivers at minimum is also expecting too much.

I love the Loadholt and Seymour signings. Loadholt reminds me of McKenzie. Love to bring him in to improve run game and Seymour can help both pass rush and run defense. One guy I see a lot of people ignoring is Shaun Rogers. I think we should resign him. His bulk and run stopping prowess could have really come in handy. He might resign with us pretty cheaply so I think its a decent investment.
Gmen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice try, Jamaar. We're not falling for that one. Shame on you

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
NYGiantsman10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:

I remember when he was drafted Laughing
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESKY008 wrote:
Sorry bro I'm not very good at explaining stuff. If you're using updated salary cap numbers which I'm pretty sure you are. That $125 million will include players like Levy Adcock, Browning, McCants etc usually they are signed for league min eg $480,000 some a little higher. Usually none will have bonuses so when they are cut there is no cap hit. You'll find there will be roughly 20 guys included in that cap that will be cut before the 53man squad. Therefore there should be roughly another $10 in cap space you can add onto you're numbers.

Another player to restructure is Eli. Considering his cap hit is nearly $21 mill

Gotcha. Also wanted to point out to you that Eli restructured his deal last year, which is why his salary this year is so astronomical. The Giants cannot try to restructure his contract again for at least 12 months after the first restructure.

jerseyboy257 wrote:
I think Beatty may be the most important player on the team we NEED to resign. He did his job well last year and now he'll be able to protect Eli for the rest of his career maybe. Don't count on Fisher being there at 19, he could very much so be taken by the Chargers at 11 and the Rams at 16 both in desperate need of an upgrade. And now that Taylor Lewan is heading back to to college, Fisher is now the 2nd best tackle prospect behind Luke Joeckel. We addressed all offense last year, I think we need to be drafting defense this time around, and early.

Beatty did a great job last year, but you gotta remember that he cannot stay healthy for a full season, even when he wasn't getting starter's playing time. I'm just scared to give him a monstrous contract after his unreliability thus far in his career. Maybe the franchise tag is a solution...

There is a pretty good chance Fisher isn't there at 19, but you just never know. Nobody thought Prince would fall, who was a better prospect than Fisher, and he fell to us around the same area. Defense needs some additions also, but this offensive line needs some real talent for the first time in years.

JRot11 wrote:
We definitely need help on the line but, I'm not really comfortable going into next year with rookies at both LT and LG. A rookie on the line needs to be shown the ropes and work together with his fellow linemen and I don't want two rookies trying to figure it out on their own protecting Eli's blindside.

Also, think some of your dollar amounts are a little too unlikely. Kickers sign for more than 1 million these days. Look at recent kicker contracts. Backup QBs do not sign for league minimum, especially when they are experienced veterans with starting experience. This is not Carr's first year with us and he has never worked for league minimum. He'll cost anywhere from 900k - 1.2M. And much as we may want it, Baas has no reason to restructure his deal. Why should he? He knows we won't save anything but cutting him so his job is safe. Players don't just sacrifice out of goodness of their hearts very often and it's not like he's a QB making 15 mil plus endorsements who can afford to sacrifice so team can bring in more talent. I think Rivers at minimum is also expecting too much.

I love the Loadholt and Seymour signings. Loadholt reminds me of McKenzie. Love to bring him in to improve run game and Seymour can help both pass rush and run defense. One guy I see a lot of people ignoring is Shaun Rogers. I think we should resign him. His bulk and run stopping prowess could have really come in handy. He might resign with us pretty cheaply so I think its a decent investment.

I agree that going into the season with a rookie LT and LG is risky, but in the long-haul this would be ideal, as it would give them time to get some chemistry together where they will be teamed up for years to come. I know the Giants are in "win now" mode, but maybe these OLs hit and can come in and contribute right away.

While some of the best kickers sign for lucrative contracts, I don't think Tynes deserves it. Maybe he gets more than $1 million, but if he does the Giants should let him walk. Carr has been making just over the minimum for the past few years, you are arguing a 200-500k difference in cap space... not a big deal. In reality, a good amount of players restructure when they have no reason to. Eli restructured last year, I don't think his job was in much danger. It's doing what the team needs, and Baas has been a Giants long enough to see that many players, including his right-hand-man Chris Snee, have restructured lately without their job in jeopardy. How does Rivers deserve more than minimum? His rookie contract is up and he didn't come close to living up to the expectations. Combine that with the fact that he is always injured, there isn't a reason a team is going to give him a multiple year deal for multi-millions.

I thought the same thing when adding Loadholt. A move that will be a major help in solving the OL issues, right away. The idea of Shaun Rogers is a great idea. I completely forgot about him. I would have no problems bringing him back to try to work for a roster spot. Good value and a savvy veteran who could be of help to a young DT unit.

Gmen wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing I forgot all about that Jamaar Taylor! Bringing back some memories right there. I'm fairly positive the Jamar Taylor from Boise State will have a better career than that Jamaar.
dkebones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
I agree that going into the season with a rookie LT and LG is risky, but in the long-haul this would be ideal, as it would give them time to get some chemistry together where they will be teamed up for years to come. I know the Giants are in "win now" mode, but maybe these OLs hit and can come in and contribute right away.

i agree, look at the 49ers o-line given the investment they made in it over the last two seasons.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkebones wrote:

i agree, look at the 49ers o-line given the investment they made in it over the last two seasons.

Great comparison! 49ers have unquestionably the best offensive line in the NFL, and look at the investments they have made when acquiring them:

LT Joe Staley - 1st round pick in 2007 (#28 overall)
LG Mike Iupati - 1st round pick in 2010 (#17 overall)
C Jonathan Goodwin - 5th round pick in 2002 (#154 overall)
RG Alex Boone - undrafted in 2009
RT Anthony Davis - 1st round pick in 2010 (#11 overall)

As you can see, the 49ers have invested heavily through the draft in order to get this great offensive line. The Giants need to do the same if they want similar results.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
dkebones wrote:

Great comparison! 49ers have unquestionably the best offensive line in the NFL, and look at the investments they have made when acquiring them:

LT Joe Staley - 1st round pick in 2007 (#28 overall)
LG Mike Iupati - 1st round pick in 2010 (#17 overall)
C Jonathan Goodwin - 5th round pick in 2002 (#154 overall)
RG Alex Boone - undrafted in 2009
RT Anthony Davis - 1st round pick in 2010 (#11 overall)

As you can see, the 49ers have invested heavily through the draft in order to get this great offensive line. The Giants need to do the same if they want similar results.

Well, Goodwin was a FA, but I digress. The point is, do we want to take the hit now, the 49ers OL experienced a lot of growing pains, our draft 1 starting OL/year and rebuild more slowly. We still have Mosley, who is expected to at least be a backup OG. Line continuity is very important and undervalued. Too much turnover can hurt an OL performance regardless of how much its talent improves.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: