Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AnafiWhat's 2013 Bills Off-Season Mock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnafiWhat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: AnafiWhat's 2013 Bills Off-Season Mock Reply with quote

Ok, here's my personal off-season mock. I admit it's more of a what I want to happen, as opposed to what I believe will happen.

My goal is to make this team as aggressive as possible, on both sides of the ball, which I think is the idea Marrone has as well, considering his hires at OC & DC.

Hackett may have run the ball more at Syracuse, but he was also confident enough in himself, and his QB most of all to change their offense and implement a no-huddle two weeks before the season. I expect that is a large reason for Syracuse's sluggish start this year. I think bringing back a no-huddle, mixed with how Marrone's offense in New Orleans was run (CJ compares very favorably to a young Reggie Bush, Stevie Johnson and Marquise Colston, both good o-lines, Deuce McCallister/Pierre Thomas and Fred Jackson, the similarities are everywhere except QB). I really think this guy has a lot of big ideas, having worked with Gruden right before he got fired and was really trying to experiment offensively, and his father being an offensive mind, and being with Marrone, he has a wide array of systems to utilize and will take advantage of it here.

Pettine seems to have the same idea for the defense. They will be aggressive. I think everyone is worried about how he will use Mario Williams, when we should be excited. Imagine being Mario and having Pettine come in and tell you "you had 10.5 sacks last year, injured half the season in the most easily readable vanilla defense the league has had in about 4-5 seasons. How about we change that up a lot, use you amazing athletic ability to our advantage and really attack in a variety of ways to confuse defenses and make you more successful, and also, standing up instead of having your hands in the dirt all of the time, will probably elongate your career".

So... Here it goes with the actual roster.

Re-Sign

UFA's:

S-Jairus Byrd- Franchise Tag him if you can't reach a long term deal. He will be key to installing Pettine's defense properly.

LG-Andy Levitre- Sign him. Straight up. Our strength on offense is the O-Line, that's plain and simple. Levitre has been the constant there for the past few years and he's a very, very good, if not elite guard, and deserves the money. He's also a good character in the locker room, and keeping some continuity is key.

OG-C.Rinehart- Provides great depth, could be a starter on quite a few other teams I believe.

OLB/DE-Shawne Merriman- He'll be inexpensive, he knows the guys, and he's played in a 3-4 before so he can help the team transition to this hybrid system they'll be running.

DE-Kyle Moore- He was very solid as a #3 DE subbing in and giving the top guys a rest, and depth is key to winning.

QB- Tarvaris Jackson- Let him fight for a job on the team, and this year give him a real shot. He isn't anything special, but he's a solid, experienced backup who should've gotten a chance to play last season.

RFA's

FB/TE- Dorin Dickerson- He's a project player, might as well bring him back see if Marrone can use him in any way.

NOT Re-Signed:

*CB-Leodis McKelvin- I put the asterisk because I'd do it at the right price, and my feeling is with his return ability, he'll get a better deal somewhere else. Fred Jackson & TJ Graham can take over return duties, because I doubt he'll be back.

DE/DT-Spencer Johnson- Just... No

RB-Tashard Choice- He wasn't horrible in spot duty this season, but I think they'll look for another option as the 3rd back, maybe with better hands out of the backfield.

others not re-signed: WR-Ruvell Martin, FB-Corey McIntyre, LB/S-Bryan Scott, QB-Tyler Thigpen.

Release:

QB- Ryan Fitzpatrick- The NFL is a "what have you done for me today" league. Tim Tebow went from record jersey sales one season, to possibly playing in the CFL within 18-months. Marrone doesn't have long, Fitzpatrick doesn't have the ability to take this team anywhere soon, and his imperfect decision-making isn't something the new coaching staff wants to teach a young, developing quarterback. Plus they're better eating a cap hit this season and having it be totally off the books next year, and not delaying it.

DE- Chris Kelsay- He is the worst guy for this defense in my opinion. He's not fast enough to stand up outside when they go 3-4, he's not big enough to play as a 3-4 end, and in a 4-3 he's just... very vanilla. Not a player we need on this defense.

CB- Terrence McGee- Injuries have just been way to detrimental to his career at this point. It's a waste of money to keep him here.

Team Needs: (After Re-Signings/Releases)

1. QB- Most important and most obvious. Fitzpatrick didn't get it done. Plain and simple. He needed to be let go in order for this team to move on and improve. Jackson is re-signed as a potential back-up or 3rd string veteran.

2. LB- Second most obvious need. The Bills couldn't stop the run, and have invested money (Barnett) and draft picks (Sheppard) into it, with little results. They need to address this very aggressively, with aggressive players.

3. CB- Gilmore has a bright future, but in a system in which DB's will be required to play man coverage, another corner opposite Gilmore who can handle this is paramount. That player is not currently on the roster

4. LB- Again, because we need more than one, and we need them badly, inside and outside.

5. WR- I know it's a need, but I believe the offense will revolve very much around Spiller and Jackson, running and catching the ball, as it should in an offense like ours. David Nelson will return, and I think he's a solid #3/red-zone option.

6. LB- Because, we need them, lots of them.

7. C- Wood's injuries may be bad luck, but bad luck keeps teams out of the playoffs, and not having depth makes that more likely. Need someone to backup Wood , also because Wood can slide to guard in the occurrence of injuries as well.

Free Agency:

Auburo Franklin-DT-San Diego- Can sub in and play the NT situationally in the 3-4.

Justin Durant-LB-Detroit- Has had a couple of good seasons. Can play outside or inside in a 4-3 and inside in the 3-4. He's relatively young, and won't be ridiculously expensive.

Gary Guyton- LB-San Diego- Inexpensive Middle/Outside Linebacker. Has also played for the Pats so he knows how to play in a mixed system as well. He's only 27 years old, so he's got some upside, and adds depth to a weak linebacking core.

Danny Amendola-WR-St.Louis- He's not Wes Welker, but he might be the same type of player in the right system with the right quarterback, and he'll be available at a decent price as the market is flooded with about 5-6 guys (Bowe, Wallace, Welker, Hartline, etc) who will be more sought after.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie-CB-Philadelphia- I feel he'll really test the market, and he'll want to make money, but maybe his cousin, who excelled under Pettine with the Jets, let's him know just how nice it'd be to work with him.

Draft:
1:8- QB-Ryan Nassib-Syracuse- He's the guy that re-learned an entire offense (mind you a pro-style/spread/no-huddle) about 2 weeks before the season. It's impressive. You can tell watching film he got better as the season progressed, showing his upside and his ability to learn the system. *They might just stay at 8th and take him, but I'd trade down just a bit to gain some picks.

2:41- OLB-Chase Thomas-Stanford- He'll be the perfect fit for Pettine's system, and having gone to Stanford, we can hope that he's smart. He's played inside and outside and at his size, he can play linebacker in the 3-4 or 4-3 or defensive end in the 4-3 or 4-6.

3:71- WR-Markus Wheaton-Ore. St.- With Amendola signed to take the slot from T.J. Graham, Wheaton will be the guy who challenges him for the job of stretching the field. He'll probably end up going higher than this, if so, I'd take Ryan Swope here.

4:102- TE-Levine Toiolo-Stanford- With Chandler likely out for the at least part of next season the Bills bring someone in to challenge Smith for the starting role.

5th-TRADED- To Houston Texans, along with conditional 2014 pick (2nd-4th, depending on playing time, for Houston QB-TJ Yates.

6th- FB/TE/HB-Chase Line-SMU- He will add some physicality to the run game, can replace MacIntyre, and work in as a TE as well. Adds a lot of versatility to the offense.

7th (compensatory)-Dalton Freeman- He's better than this, but undersized, so he falls to Buffalo. Doesn't have to play right away so he gets time to bulk up.

2013 Depth Chart:
Notes:
(R)-Rookie
(T)-Player acquired in trade
(I)-Player starting season injured
*-Player signed in Free Agency

QB-TJ Yates(T)/R. Nassib(R)/T.Jackson
RB-CJ Spiller/F. Jackson
FB-C.Line(R)/D.Dickerson
WR1-S.Johnson/D.Amendola*/TJ Graham
WR2-M.Wheaton(R)/D.Nelson
TE-S.Chandler(I)/L.Toiolo(R)/L.Smith
LT-C.GLenn/Z.Sanders
LG-A.Levitre/C.Rienhardt
C-E.Wood/D.Freeman(R)
RG-C.Urbik/
RT-C.Hairston/E.Pears

DE-M.Williams/K.Moore
DT-M.Dareus/A.Franklin/T.Troup
DT-K.Williams/A.Carrington
DE-M.Anderson/S.Merriman/C.Thomas(R)
OLB-J.Durant*/N.Barnett
MLB-G.Guyton*/K.Sheppard
OLB-C.Thomas(R)/N.Bradham/A.Moats
CB1-S.Gilmore/R.Brooks/A.Williams
CB2-D.R.Cromartie/J.Rogers
FS-J.Byrd/D.Searcy/M.Silva
SS-G.Wilson/D.Searcy

K-R.Lindell
P-S.Powell
Buffalo_Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of drafting Nassib in the first round. With that said overall I wouldn't be upset.

thanks for the sig NS922!

Listen! I am standing at the door, knocking;
if you hear my voice and open the door,
I will come in to you and eat with you,
and you with me.
Revelation 3:20
EccentricFan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all for keeping Tarvaris. You're saving a measly 450k in cap space cutting Fitz, but you're probably going to need millions to re-sign Tarvaris. All this for a QB that, odds are, will be worse than Fitz was? Look at the stats for the most recent year each has started. Fitz's are clearly better. And that's before factoring in that Fitz is much more familiar with the team.

I'd like to keep Fitz as a mentor to our new rookie and a solid veteran backup in case he doesn't light it up in the first year. Then we can try to convince him to restructure his contract.

However, even if we cut Fitz to save cash and get him off the books for next year, I still say we let Tarvaris walk. If we can't stand the thought of a player who will never be a franchise QB playing for us, to the point that we won't even keep Fitz around, then why even bother with TJ?

Just draft a second QB in the later rounds to back him up and go all in on our rookie succeeding this year. If he fails miserably, at least we'll be in good draft position to get a top QB next year, instead of a middle of the road but not in the playoffs draft position, which I think is the best we could finish at with Tarvaris Jackson at the helm.
NIKEJWN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not a fan of this at all. I dont like DRC sign. I think he is very soft, and would rather bring in a more physical CB say Sean Smith or Brent Grimes. Again not a fan of the QB situation. Bring in a veteran and draft the guy no need to trade for Yates. We need more help at other positions than adding a guy and do you really think Houston will give him up for just a 5th.

Max's 2010 Annual Draft Contest Winner

Adopt a Bill 2011- SS George Wilson
CB Drayton Florence
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIKEJWN wrote:
Im not a fan of this at all. I dont like DRC sign. I think he is very soft, and would rather bring in a more physical CB say Sean Smith or Brent Grimes. Again not a fan of the QB situation. Bring in a veteran and draft the guy no need to trade for Yates. We need more help at other positions than adding a guy and do you really think Houston will give him up for just a 5th.

Agreed. DRC is afraid of sticking his nose in there to make tackles and is the reason AZ included him in the trade for Kolb.

Also not a fan of taking Nassib with our #8, and would have to trade back to later than #25 to get me on board with drafting him in the 1st. Even then, it would be a reluctant selection given we could have utilized that #8 possibly on Tyler Wilson. Since Yates' name was 1st mentioned, I have soured on the idea of going after him too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be one of he few that believes Nassib at 8 is quite possible. I think he moves up draft boards as the off season continues, he's got the senior ball, combine and pro day to prove himself and I think he will do it. This situation is similar to Tannehill and the Phins last season.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way we let fitz go if it only cost us 500k.
cdavls17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flutiefalkes if they keep Fitz and dump him the following offseason it will cost 7 million in dead cap or you can cut him this offseason and cost 10 million against the cap and have 0 in 2014 dead cap. So yes it would be dumb not to cut him. You have to look at future cap hits not just this coming years. I rather see the bills take the cap this year and move on from having this guy on the roster.

Thanks Max
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
Flutiefalkes if they keep Fitz and dump him the following offseason it will cost 7 million in dead cap or you can cut him this offseason and cost 10 million against the cap and have 0 in 2014 dead cap. So yes it would be dumb not to cut him. You have to look at future cap hits not just this coming years. I rather see the bills take the cap this year and move on from having this guy on the roster.

where are you getting these numbers? you say them a lot but ive never seen these numbers from another source or what have you. I aint saying your wrong just would like to see it for myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:

Don't forget, you need some sort of backup QB on the roster, and they're not free. For a halfway decent QB expect a bare minimum of 1 million a year. If you don't want want that's significantly worse than Fitz, expect at least 2 million a year.

That cuts into most of your savings. And that's assuming we can't talk Fitz into changing his contract up.
cdavls17

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyjetscap.com has all the number and articles you need to know about all afceast teams on salary cap.

Article for you to read that might clear up the questions you are looking for

http://nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/billscapcuts.html

Thanks Max

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: