Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jags Hire Gus Bradley as New HC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 83785
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you named alot of young guys, but not necessarily talented, also 3 very good DTs? They clearly didnt play like it last year
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46349
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
I think the biggest positive with our defense is we don't have any "bad players" starting. There's no Guy Whimper (the RT, not the TE version) on the defensive side of the ball. The problem is we don't have any elite guys either. We've got Cox (who is always injured), Knighton (who is playing 10-15 LBs under-weight) and Daryl Smith (who was hurt all year) and that's it for our "star players."

If one of these pass rushers in the draft art what they're cracked up to be, and you add a player or two in the secondary and the LB positions, you've got a defense that if Cox and Smith can stay healthy, and Knighton puts on some weight can be that top 6 unit again relatively easily IMO.

It's all going to be up to how well Caldwell addresses that side of the ball. I don't expect elite production, but what we saw from them in 2011 (and I know some aren't high on that 2011 performance, so let the statistics teanslate to the point I'm making) is certainly a real possibility IMO.

Remember, the Seahawks defense went from 27th to 25th to 7th to 1st overall. We could easily see that year 2 to year 3 jump if some things get addressed.


I think you're missing Pos, who's one of the best MLB's in football, but I get your point.

There's more talent on this defense than there was two years ago with Seattle (25th).
Forgot about Poz. I think he belongs on the list too.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46349
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really upsetting that Jarvis Jones has that spinal stenosis. Obviously first and foremost because of how it will effect his life, but also because he is exactly what this defense needs in the front 7.

Le sigh.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoJo122-b-21


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 6439
Location: Not London!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
you named alot of young guys, but not necessarily talented, also 3 very good DTs? They clearly didnt play like it last year


Alualu was collapsing the pocket and steering plays away from himself the second half of the year - after he apparently got closer to 100%. Knighton played well in spurts after such an odd offseason and we all know what we can get out of the guy. Mosley played extremely well early, while all those guys were playing such high snap-counts - after the hot start he admittedly tailed off though.

All I'm saying is that, if those three enter a season fresh, it's a position group you don't want to bother with.
_________________
GopherWrestler knows his way around a sig...

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoJo122-b-21


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 6439
Location: Not London!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
It's really upsetting that Jarvis Jones has that spinal stenosis. Obviously first and foremost because of how it will effect his life, but also because he is exactly what this defense needs in the front 7.

Le sigh.


Fortunately, this draft is chock full of high-upside pas rushers. We just have to trust Caldwell and Bradley to bring in the right guy.
_________________
GopherWrestler knows his way around a sig...

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20772
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
you named alot of young guys, but not necessarily talented, also 3 very good DTs? They clearly didnt play like it last year


Alualu was collapsing the pocket and steering plays away from himself the second half of the year - after he apparently got closer to 100%. Knighton played well in spurts after such an odd offseason and we all know what we can get out of the guy. Mosley played extremely well early, while all those guys were playing such high snap-counts - after the hot start he admittedly tailed off though.

All I'm saying is that, if those three enter a season fresh, it's a position group you don't want to bother with.


Yeah, I'd like to see Mosley as the one rotating in and then either Knighton or Star starting next to Alualu.
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 83785
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
you named alot of young guys, but not necessarily talented, also 3 very good DTs? They clearly didnt play like it last year


Alualu was collapsing the pocket and steering plays away from himself the second half of the year - after he apparently got closer to 100%. Knighton played well in spurts after such an odd offseason and we all know what we can get out of the guy. Mosley played extremely well early, while all those guys were playing such high snap-counts - after the hot start he admittedly tailed off though.

All I'm saying is that, if those three enter a season fresh, it's a position group you don't want to bother with.


even in the beginning though it seemed like we were giving off a good amount of yards on the ground though
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tugboat


Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 3580
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
I think the biggest positive with our defense is we don't have any "bad players" starting. There's no Guy Whimper (the RT, not the TE version) on the defensive side of the ball. The problem is we don't have any elite guys either. We've got Cox (who is always injured), Knighton (who is playing 10-15 LBs under-weight) and Daryl Smith (who was hurt all year) and that's it for our "star players."

If one of these pass rushers in the draft art what they're cracked up to be, and you add a player or two in the secondary and the LB positions, you've got a defense that if Cox and Smith can stay healthy, and Knighton puts on some weight can be that top 6 unit again relatively easily IMO.

It's all going to be up to how well Caldwell addresses that side of the ball. I don't expect elite production, but what we saw from them in 2011 (and I know some aren't high on that 2011 performance, so let the statistics teanslate to the point I'm making) is certainly a real possibility IMO.

Remember, the Seahawks defense went from 27th to 25th to 7th to 1st overall. We could easily see that year 2 to year 3 jump if some things get addressed.


I think you're missing Pos, who's one of the best MLB's in football, but I get your point.

There's more talent on this defense than there was two years ago with Seattle (25th).
Forgot about Poz. I think he belongs on the list too.


Yeah. Poz definitely belongs on that list.

And i agree with that as a whole. I think we have plenty of pieces here to build on, and we'll hopefully see some strides in that regard right away. Health on that side of the ball would help a lot.

But like Seattle, i think it's going to take some patience. It's going to be a multi-year process, especially considering the needs we still have on the offensive side of the ball as well. We can't just neglect our issues there. And it's also going to take time for players to develop. Hopefully we grab some steals (like Seattle) in the middle rounds...but a lot of those guys will take a year or two to adjust and blossom.

I'm optimistic about the future and we do have pieces to work with...but it's going to be a process.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46349
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
iPwn wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
iPwn wrote:
I think the biggest positive with our defense is we don't have any "bad players" starting. There's no Guy Whimper (the RT, not the TE version) on the defensive side of the ball. The problem is we don't have any elite guys either. We've got Cox (who is always injured), Knighton (who is playing 10-15 LBs under-weight) and Daryl Smith (who was hurt all year) and that's it for our "star players."

If one of these pass rushers in the draft art what they're cracked up to be, and you add a player or two in the secondary and the LB positions, you've got a defense that if Cox and Smith can stay healthy, and Knighton puts on some weight can be that top 6 unit again relatively easily IMO.

It's all going to be up to how well Caldwell addresses that side of the ball. I don't expect elite production, but what we saw from them in 2011 (and I know some aren't high on that 2011 performance, so let the statistics teanslate to the point I'm making) is certainly a real possibility IMO.

Remember, the Seahawks defense went from 27th to 25th to 7th to 1st overall. We could easily see that year 2 to year 3 jump if some things get addressed.


I think you're missing Pos, who's one of the best MLB's in football, but I get your point.

There's more talent on this defense than there was two years ago with Seattle (25th).
Forgot about Poz. I think he belongs on the list too.


Yeah. Poz definitely belongs on that list.

And i agree with that as a whole. I think we have plenty of pieces here to build on, and we'll hopefully see some strides in that regard right away. Health on that side of the ball would help a lot.

But like Seattle, i think it's going to take some patience. It's going to be a multi-year process, especially considering the needs we still have on the offensive side of the ball as well. We can't just neglect our issues there. And it's also going to take time for players to develop. Hopefully we grab some steals (like Seattle) in the middle rounds...but a lot of those guys will take a year or two to adjust and blossom.

I'm optimistic about the future and we do have pieces to work with...but it's going to be a process.


Absolutely agree.

While I think this season, we could see a quick turn around, I'm not expecting it. I just want obvious progress.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoJo122-b-21


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 6439
Location: Not London!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
you named alot of young guys, but not necessarily talented, also 3 very good DTs? They clearly didnt play like it last year


Alualu was collapsing the pocket and steering plays away from himself the second half of the year - after he apparently got closer to 100%. Knighton played well in spurts after such an odd offseason and we all know what we can get out of the guy. Mosley played extremely well early, while all those guys were playing such high snap-counts - after the hot start he admittedly tailed off though.

All I'm saying is that, if those three enter a season fresh, it's a position group you don't want to bother with.


Yeah, I'd like to see Mosley as the one rotating in and then either Knighton or Star starting next to Alualu.


It would be fun to watch those guys scare offenses away from the middle.
_________________
GopherWrestler knows his way around a sig...

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MoJo122-b-21


Joined: 01 Dec 2009
Posts: 6439
Location: Not London!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per RotoWorld:

Quote:
Yahoo! Sports' Mike Silver reports Todd Bowles will replace Ray Horton as the Cardinals' defensive coordinator.
This was rumored to be in the works ever since Bruce Arians' name came up as a possible head-coaching candidate, and now that Arians has accepted the job, Bowles is in as the defensive boss. Bowles has experience with both the 3-4 and 4-3 from his days with Miami (2008-11) and Philadelphia (2012), but this is his first hiring as a DC. He took over for the fired Juan Castillo on an interim basis last season with the Eagles. Arizona was one of the more blitz-happy defenses under Horton in 2012 and is certainly better-suited for the 3-4 front. Horton may not be particularly happy, but he shouldn't struggle to find work.


Very surprising. Even though he doesn't exactly run a "Tampa Two", he could be a real asset for the next year or two, should we make a run at him.
_________________
GopherWrestler knows his way around a sig...

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FREDDY T


Joined: 26 Jan 2008
Posts: 5345
Location: NY
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
It's really upsetting that Jarvis Jones has that spinal stenosis. Obviously first and foremost because of how it will effect his life, but also because he is exactly what this defense needs in the front 7.

Le sigh.


haunts me everyday, we need his talent more than anyone in the draft. He is the blue chip prospect in this draft.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adrenaline_Flux


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Posts: 20772
Location: The Iowa
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I can't imagine a scenario where Chad Henne is a Jacksonville Jaguar."

"Come again?"

"The Gus Bus wants The King dethroned."

"You want him released?"

"I want him exiled."
_________________


Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II

Nobody cares about Big Brother III...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
darnell


Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1950
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair to the debate on the Jags young defensive talent, people may say "look at that Seahawks defense, anyone can look good coaching that defense"

But if you look closer Earl Thomas was the only guy we (Hawks) had the came with all-pro pedigree that was expected to be elite no matter where and who he played for. Gus coached,taught and led a bunch of unheralded guys into bigtime performers to the point where, aside from Branch and Hill, there are 9 guys starting that play at a probowl or near probowl level.

Gus is fantastic IMO. Farts rainbows. A blue-collar James Bond if you will - perfect gentleman and good dude until the situation forces him into becoming the baddest man around (holds more weight when a consistently good dude blows his lid).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bad meets Evil


Joined: 23 Sep 2011
Posts: 1652
Location: Duval
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
you named alot of young guys, but not necessarily talented, also 3 very good DTs? They clearly didnt play like it last year


Alualu was collapsing the pocket and steering plays away from himself the second half of the year - after he apparently got closer to 100%. Knighton played well in spurts after such an odd offseason and we all know what we can get out of the guy. Mosley played extremely well early, while all those guys were playing such high snap-counts - after the hot start he admittedly tailed off though.

All I'm saying is that, if those three enter a season fresh, it's a position group you don't want to bother with.


Yeah, I'd like to see Mosley as the one rotating in and then either Knighton or Star starting next to Alualu.


I think Alualu will move to D-end and fill the Red Bryant role. Then have Knighton/Star/Alan Branch(free agent this year) starting next to Mosely.
_________________

Credit to IPwn for da sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group