Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skrILL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech Reply with quote

Like the title says, why aren't more people talking about this kid? He's an absolute stud, a complete football player. Excellent hands, excellent footwork, runs great routes and adjusts to the ball very well. I have him pretty high and I think he's the most NFL ready receiver in this draft. He has massive production to back it up too. He essentially carried that Louisiana Tech team on his back.

I saw Patton ranked high (top 15 I believe) on Russ Lande's rankings but I didn't really pay much notice to it because it sucked as a whole. Does anyone think he can go in the 1st round?

Personally, I'd take him over Hunter and Williams right now. I can see him going between 20-32. I see a lot of Santonio Holmes in him. He absolutely dominated Texas A&M earlier this season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUVYuKAjDIo

N E W Y O R K J E T S
norcalgsr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he runs a 4.4x, he's a 1st rounder. But I think he's a 4.5x guy.

He's got some Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd in him in terms of route running, but he doesn't quite have the same level of ball skills (ability to climb the ladder and high-point).
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalgsr wrote:
If he runs a 4.4x, he's a 1st rounder. But I think he's a 4.5x guy.

He's got some Stevie Johnson and Brandon Lloyd in him in terms of route running, but he doesn't quite have the same level of ball skills (ability to climb the ladder and high-point).

I really love his ability as a route runner and his ability to run afer the catch (rarely did the first defender stop him, even against A&M). He has shown enough game speed to be a decent deep threat, so even if he runs a low 4.5, teams shouldn't see it as a problem. Athletically he reminds me a lot of Reggie Wayne.

My one issue with him is that he catches the ball close to his body. He isn't a body catcher, but he doesn't extend his arms and snatch the ball away from his body real well, which limits his catch radius and his ability to high point the ball and gives a defender an extra split second to make a play on it.
FinMan

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has noted that he's a great route runner. While I agree, Patton has excellent body control and quickness, however, his route tree at Louisiana Tech was fairly basic--screens, slants, outs, slants and stop and go's.

With that said he has very impressive YAC ability.

From a "polished" standpoint, he's a JUCO transfer with two years of experience in the WAC. He put up back to back 1,000 yard and 10 TD seasons, but he's still a project and won't burst onto the scene immediately.

My biggest concern is his separation speed. He will get a chance to dispel that concern in 1-on-1's at the Senior Bowl and his 40 and shuttle time at the combine.

I have him as a 3rd rounder right now, with a ceiling of 2nd round.

I'm a fan of his skill-set, but he's not quite the elite prospect that some are making him out to be.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This years T.Y.Hilton
norcalgsr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
This years T.Y.Hilton

Hilton has way more speed than Patton.
Nobody

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
This years T.Y.Hilton
What? They aren't similar at all.
One tall and physical one small and freakishly fast.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wrote:
MSURacerDT55 wrote:
This years T.Y.Hilton
What? They aren't similar at all.
One tall and physical one small and freakishly fast.

I wouldn't call Patton physical, reminds me a little of Brandon Lloyd.
jrry32

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st rounder? Nah. Good player though. Very quick feet, excellent stutter step, good stiff arm, great in terms of YAC. Good ball-skills and good but not great speed. I'd say 4.47 to 4.50 would be my guess. Route running is raw.

Good but not great hands, needs to get better at catching the ball in traffic and doesn't come down with some catchable passes. Not overly physical but will use some subtle push offs when he needs to...gets called for OPI because of it occasionally. I'll stress again, though, really needs to improve at catching the ball in traffic and coming down with the ball with contact.

Very good at tracking the ball over the shoulder.

Has shown the ability to go up and get the ball but isn't especially good at it.

Very tough to press because of his quick feet and fluid hips.

Looks like a good flanker or slot WR to me. I'd say 2nd to 3rd rounder. My guess is he'll go between 55 and 85.

I can see some merits to the Brandon Lloyd comparison although he's a better YAC WR and doesn't have Lloyd's ability to go up and get the ball. Personally, I'd compare him to Miles Austin.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1st rounder? Nah. Good player though. Very quick feet, excellent stutter step, good stiff arm, great in terms of YAC. Good ball-skills and good but not great speed. I'd say 4.47 to 4.50 would be my guess. Route running is raw.

Funny you say that, because his footwork and movement skills remind me a lot of a young Deion Branch. Branch ran a 4.47 and a 3.76 short shuttle at the combine. Wouldn't be surprised to see Patton put up a crazy shuttle time as well.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: