Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Roster Evaluation: Quarterbacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Roster Evaluation: Quarterbacks Reply with quote

Before the draft and combine come out I am going to do a series on the Redskins and their positions, players at those positions, and what free agency could offer as well as the draft. I will also be selecting players of interest from the draft that could be a potential pick for the Washington Redskins.
So positional evaluations, recommendations for the off season and the scouting reports on players from the draft that could fill that position.

Quarterbacks:

Robert Griffin III
Kirk Cousins
Rex Grossman

There are 3 quarterbacks on the roster, in which 2 are now, officially, no longer rookies. Robert Griffin III, Kirk Cousins and Rex Grossman.
Robert Griffin III is the franchise QB. There is no question about that. He has some work to do to rehab from his injury suffered against Seattle in the first home playoff game since 1999. Griffin is tough and proved that by playing through pain and not wanting to come out of any situation as he gives the Redskins the best chance to win any game when he is healthy. But when he is not healthy, the Redskins have viable QB to back him up.
Kirk Cousins was selected the same year that Griffin was.

They were both rookies coming in to the season. And while RGIII was the clear starter, Cousins had some disappointment that he was not going to start for an NFL team. Or so he thought. RGIII went down with an injury against Baltimore. Kirk Cousins had to come in and save the game in order to continue a winning streak and keep the playoff hopes alive. Kirk ended up finding Pierre Garcon in the endzone and floated a pass over a Ravens defender right to him.

It was then called for a QB draw on a 2 pt. conversion to tie the game against the Ravens and Kirk took the snap from shotgun took one step back and ran into the endzone with authority.

Kirk then posted a 300 yard passing game against the Cleveland Browns to keep the winning streak and with that the Redskins playoff chances.
In short the Redskins have 2 very good QBs that can win for the Redskins when they are called upon. Griffin is by far the franchise and the clear cut starter. But Cousins can clearly step in if needed and win games if called upon.

Rex Grossman was inactive most of the year, but provided a lot of guidance to these 2 rookies about the offense, and the decisions to make when reading a defense. While his skills were not needed on the field, they were certainly monumental off the field.

Evaluation:
Griffin is the franchise and his ceiling is extremely high. His potential to be great, even higher.

Cousins may end up being the Kevin Kolb of the Redskins, where a team falls in love with him and trades draft picks for a proven player that is still young. But for now the Redskins have a very capable and confident QB that can step in and play if needed.

As it looks that Mike Shanahan is going to only have 2 QBs active on game day, there might not be a need for a 3rd QB on the roster. But the value of Rex Grossman and his knowledge of the offense is priceless and should be retained this offseason.

Free Agency: This is not a position of need and the value of this position is extremely low. There is no free agent that is going to come in and be more valuable to this team than what the Redskins have on the roster currently.

2013 NFL Draft: No draft pick should be taken.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
daboyle250

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Mike. It's funny how we have no QB last year but this year we got two QBs we can work with Laughing I think Rex will resign and keep the whole position consistent.

DCRED wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'm still cleaning up the stains in my pants! Laughing
Ewwww.
worse thing is they've been there since Shanahan was fired
DCRED

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE that QB of All positions was addressed and sealed last year by drafting 2 QBs who can make plays and Win. I'd put Cousins over the backups on almost all teams and the starters on quite a few too. How many teams can say that?

Oh and I'm wondering if any UDFA QB's go to our PS this year....or who we roll with there
turtle28

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved! Laughing Qb is not a position we have to focus on this offseason. Hallelujah! Laughing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: