Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tehzl's Mock offseason 2013 #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tehzl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Tehzl's Mock offseason 2013 #1 Reply with quote

Players Returning:
- Will Beatty, OT - Good Tackle, shouldn't ask for much because injuries and only one good season.
- Martellus Bennett, TE - Black Unicorn.
- Kevin Boothe, OG - A Giants Guard.
- Andre Brown, RB - Broke out last season and is a restricted free agent.
- Stevie Brown, S - Broke out last season and plays in our patched up secondary.
- David Carr, QB - Clipboard holder.
- Jim Cordle, C - Depth.
- Victor Cruz, WR - CRUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
- Domenik Hixon, WR - Good when healthy and he is rarely healthy so should be able to come in for cheap.
- Sean Locklear, OT - Decent Tackle, because of injury and age can come in for cheap.
- Kenny Phillips, S - Injuries, but top safety in league, bring him back.
- Keith Rivers, LB - Good but injuries, bring him back for a year.
- Lawrence Tynes, K - Our Kicker. Bring back for offseason.

Player Contract Re-Structuring:
- Ahmad Bradshaw, RB - Your old lady legs are hurting you and the young are dominating. But your still one of the top runners in the league.
- Chris Canty, DT - Injuries and your expensive. But you are a good DT, of the few we have.
- Chris Snee, OG - The only one remaining from our once great o-line, pay-cut because you understand its family.
- Justin Tuck, DE - Good DE, getting up there in age.
- Corey Webster, CB - You played terrible last year and your getting up their in age, but maybe it was a very bad case of down year?

Players Released:
- Michael Boley, LB - Too much money, and during later games he saw the field less.
- David Diehl, OT - He is not good, he is old, and he has injuries.
- Terrell Thomas, CB - Sorry man, but two acl tears back to back is ridiculous, and we don't need more people at safety.

Free Agent Signings:
-Michael Bennett, DE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Michael Bennett, the brother of TE, Martellus Bennett is a free agent after a great year with the Tamba Bay Buccaneers in which he gathered 41 Tackles, 9 sacks, 2 Pass deflections and 3 forced fumbles. He can play opposite of JPP at LE, and Martellus says that he will try to get his brother to come play for us.

-Mike Jenkins, CB, Dallas Cowboys
Once a 1st round pick out of South Florida, Mike Jenkins is now the third string cornerback for the Dallas Cowboys after recent signings. He probably wont get resigned so we could take him up to play across from Amukamara in case Webster still doesn't remember how to cover.

-Johnny Knox, WR, Chicago Bears
Johnny Know is a good wide reciever and returner that plays for the Chicago Bears, however his last catch was in 2011 because of an injury which took him out of the whole 2012 season. I think he can come in and play behind injury prone Hakeem Nicks and can maybe add to our return game.

Draft:
1) Sheldon Richardson, DT, Missouri
This pick was pretty hard for me to choose, I finally went with BPA which turned out to be Sheldon Richardson from Missouri, his versatility and speed are something that the Giants would like as he played the whole line for Missouri and is estimated to run a 4.89. He finished the season tied for second on the team with 75 tackles, a figure that led all defensive tackles in the Southeastern Conference. He also had 10 tackles for loss, four sacks, seven quarterback hurries and three forced fumbles. Those are ridiculous stats for a DT.

2) Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
Brown is a fluid and explosive athlete with very good range to be effective against both the run and the pass. Brown top instincts to sniff out the play and is quick to react, rarely missing tackles when he's in the area. He is predicted to run in the 4.5-4.65 range. The Giants need a OLB, so check. We need a coverage LB, check. A sure tackler, check. Speed for Redskins and Eagles, check. I think Arthur Brown would be a good pick here. He also had 2 100+ tackle seasons back to back.

3) Gerald Hodges, LB, University of Linebackers (Penn State)
Ehh I am the main person on this forum that said we shouldn't draft more than 1 linebacker in the 2013 draft because their will be a boatload coming out in 2014, but I had to make an exception for Gerald Hodges, because he is BPA at 3rd round. He played really well in college with 109 tackles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, seven passes broken up, one forced fumble and two interceptions in 2012. Hodges also led Penn State in tackles in 2011 with 106 tackles, 10 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, one interception, four passes broken up and two forced fumbles.

4) Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia
Nice sized corner at 6-2 and 216lbs. He doesn't get much publicity because he plays on such a talented defense, but he would make a good pick at round 4. Commings has 43 tackles and three interceptions last year and 55 tackles, four tackles for a loss, one sack, 12 passes broken up, one forced fumble and one interception in 2011.

5) Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky
Smith is from a smaller school but has tons of production. He finished the year with 12.5 sacks, with 3 of them coming against Alabama. Good depth pick at the 5th round. Could turn out to be a part of Nascar package.

5comp) Terron Armstead, OL, Arkansas Pine-Bluff
Terron Armstead is listed at 6-6 304lbs, I don't know much about him since he is from a small school, but I hear he is tearing it up in the Shrine Practices. He is expected to play RT in the pros, and should be a project.

6) Latavius Murray, RB, UCF
Latavius Murray is our insurance. Listed at 6-3 and 222lbs he has the size to play similiar to Brandon Jacobs in his prime, but faster. I think it is a nice pick up in case of injury to Bradshaw and Brown and if Brown is a one hit wonder.

7) Caleb Sturgis, K, Florida
Caleb Sturgis will be our competition for Tynes and I expect Sturgis to win over starting job in the offseason. I'm hearing that he is hitting 50+ yarders in Shrine practices. Sturgis made 23-of-27 field goals in 2012 and 32-of-33 extra points. Of Sturgis' four misses in 2012, three have been blocked. Sturgis is 8-of-9 in field-goal attempts of 40 or more yards in 2012.

Depth Chart:

Offense:

QB: Eli Manning, David Carr
FB: Henry Hynoski
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Andre Brown, David Wilson, Latavius Murray
WR: Hakeem Nicks, Reuben Randle, Domenik Hixon, Johnny Knox
WR: Victor Cruz, Jerrel Jernigan
TE: Martellus Bennett, Bear Pascoe, Adrien Robinson

LT: Will Beatty
LG: Kevin Boothe
C: David Baas, Jim Cordle
RG: Chris Snee, Selvish Capers
RT: Sean Locklear, Terron Armstead

Defense:

LDE: Justin Tuck, Michael Bennett, Adewale Ojomo
DT: Linval Joseph, Marvin Austin
DT: Chris Canty, Sheldon Richardson
RDE: Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathias Kiwanuka, Quanterus Smith

SLB: Jacquian Williams
MLB: Mark Herzlich, Gerald Hodges
WLB: Keith Rivers, Arthur Brown, Spencer Paysinger

LCB: Corey Webster, Mike Jenkins, Jayron Hosely
RCB: Prince Amukamara, Sanders Commings
SS: Kenny Phillips, Stevie Brown, Will Hill
FS: Antrel Rolle, Tyler Sash

Special Teams:

K: Lawrence Tynes/Caleb Sturgis
P: Steve Weatherford
LS: Zach DeOssie
KR: Johnny Knox, David Wilson
PR: Reuben Randle

*Legend*
Underline: Free agent
Italics: Rookie

*Notes*
1) The first three runnningbacks share carries, Bradshaw sees the ball less as the season goes on.
2) Tuck and Bennett cycle throughout the season.
3) Linebacker war throughout most of the season
4) Caleb Sturgis wins starting job in offseason.

Sorry I couldn't do the cap situation, I am not as good my brethren. Smile . Please tell me what you think. I most likely will do another near NFL Combine.
Ermertne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this mock especially Gerald Hodges and bringing in Mike Jenkins the only thing is I don't see offensive line being the same people I believe something is gonna happen wheather threw the Draft or free agency but I really like this tho
bzane

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah hey, real nice effort, and a lot of thought obviously was put into it. Good photos and opinions on the draftees.

I would question the lack of attention to the O-line. The Giants have been going bargain-basement in this area for years, with predictable results; I do not think that yet another mid-round project lineman fills their serious needs on the offensive line. Would like to see a high draft pick O-lineman and/or a good free-agent pick-up, (anyone care for Phil Loadholt?) to give them a shot in the arm, the way Kareem McKenzie once did.
Biggsam49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Locklear isnt read for the season(I thought intial reports said he wouldnt be?), I think we spend a little more resources on a T than just the 5th. And where did Brewer go?

I don't see how Knox can contribute. I don't think this is an ideal spot for him.

A FA signing will probably be needed at LB. Jacquain, Herzlich, and Rivers all have a history of injuries. I'm not sure what everyone sees in Herzlich, but I haven't seen it. Don't like the idea of him starting at MLB. Even with the picks, another veteran could help.

Add a small signing at T and LB and I would be happy with this. Good job.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, very nice job on the mock. I agree with most of the moves on here. Here are some notes I had while reading through:

- You basically got everyone of importance to re-sign with the Giants. Although I want all three to come back, it is not going to be easy for the Giants to bring back Beatty, Marty B, and KP. All three could command some serious money on the open market, and the Giants have little to spend.

- I have a feeling Sean Locklear won't be playing in the NFL at the beginning of next year. That was a gruesome injury. Did the Giants ever release what he actually injured in his knee? All I know is he had surgery very quickly after he got injured. He played well last year, but that injury was bad.

- Agree with all of the restructures, although I'd be hesitant to ask Tuck. He has been a bargain for the Giants his entire career and never complained about his contract. True class act. He deserves every penny of that contract for his contributions.

- That was T2's third ACL tear, talk about bad luck. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing T2 back on a smaller one-year deal to see if he can make it back and try to play safety. He played there sometimes with Fewell in the past.

- Love the Michael Bennett pick-up. I think he would fit perfectly at LE for the Giants and fits their mold. Having his brother on the team also would be pretty cool. The only thing I'm nervous about Michael is that he was never really that impressive until his contract year. Makes you think if sometimes he doesn't give 100% effort. He was still a solid player the years before, but be had a great campaign last year.

- I am down for the Mike Jenkins pick-up too. He used to be really good before injuries and losing his spot on the depth chart. Worth a shot at least, see what he's got. He'd be a perfect candidate to give a contract similar to what the Giants gave Marty B last year.

- I like Johnny Knox, but that injury was scary. I wonder if he will ever be 100% again after that. Would definitely help the return game. Solid WR depth also. Could be very similar to a younger Hixon for the team.

- Love the Sheldon Richardson pick. He would be a perfect complement to Linval. Biggest concern is that he probably won't be there at 19. I expect him to really put up a show at the combine, rising his draft stock.

- Never thought of back-to-back LBs in the 2nd and 3rd, but I really like the idea. Arthur Brown and Gerald Hodges are both great fits in the 4-3. Hodges can eventually man the MLB spot while Brown could take the weakside. Only question mark is that Jacquain and Brown are similar in size and will be limited to the weakside in this defense. Maybe if Brown can bulk up he could take the MLB spot, and have Hodges go to the strongside. I don't know if Reese would ever do this, but I would put some thought into it if I were him.

- I'm indifferent about the Cummings pick. I was never really that impressed with him, and I think the Giants could find a better CB in the 4th. I like the position, just not the player. I gotta say though, Cummings does have a lot of potential. Just needs some solid coaching.

- I like the Latavius Murray pick in the 6th. I go to UCF, so I got to see him firsthand quite a bit. I don't know if he could start in the NFL, but he would be solid depth.

- Overall, I like everything, but the lack of offensive line help is concerning. The Giants need an upgrade at RT, unless Brewer is ready to start. The OL is holding the Giants offense back, and they really need to address it soon.

- If the Giants drafted both Hodges and Brown, I think at least one needs to start right away. Both should be starting by the end of the year. A Brown-Hodges-Williams LB core sounds great.

- I know this won't happen, but I would rather Michael Bennett start at LE than Tuck. I don't think Tuck deserves to be benched, especially since he is a captain of the defense, but Bennett is better at this point in their respective careers.
Tehzl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I understand that most would want an OT, the thing is like HakeemTheDream said I brought back a lot of people that will ask for a good amount of money. In the free agency Michael Bennett will probably cost a lot so I wasn't entirely sure if we would look for a pricy OT like Loadholt in free agency, also I think the Vikings may resign him. In the draft if we go BPA for the 1st 3 rounds I don't see an OT other than Dallas Thomas in the 2nd, but that of course would take away Arthur Brown. So I wasn't sure what to do at OT.

As for Sanders Commings in the 4th round, I couldn't find any corners around that round that weren't under 5'11-5'10. I was going to put Micah Hyde there but some people have him dropping as far as 6th, and Jamar Taylor is projected to go 2nd-3rd round.

Herzlich got the starting job by default because of Tom Coughlin's rule of not starting rookies, I honestly had Chase Blackburn still on the roster and starting for a while during the season but I was above the 53-man roster. So I chose youth over veterancy.

And I do believe Brown-Hodges-Williams will be the starting linebackers near the end of the season because of injury prone Rivers, and Hodges probably being better than Herzlich.

And yea I also think Bennett is better than Tuck, but I can't see the captain of our defense becoming a back up, so I have them in a rotation until next year when Tuck may get released.
Gmen4ev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like we are restructuring our Defense which I would really like.

Overall it would be a very good off season if this were to happen. Jenkins especially.

It looks like this year we're going to do well in FFMD Laughing

We the North
GEE MEN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conceptually I like the draft although don't know much about all of them. I don't like the FA signings especially the Jenkins signing. Giants like physical corners. Jenkins runs from contact and won't be helpful stopping the run. Not impressed with him coming out of the draft and did nothing with the Boys to change my mind.

Desperado82 wrote:
I will never defend Romo again. I'm done. We may only have a shot at the playoffs or what have you because of him, but he will NEVER put us over the hump.
Gmen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely down with a faster version of Brandon Jacobs.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
I'm definitely down with a faster non-dancing version of Brandon Jacobs.

FIFY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: