Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pat Shurmur OC - what were your thoughts on him?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjab360

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
Think about it in STL, he had 4 rookie pass catchers (Salas, Pettis, Amendola, Kendricks), a rookie LT, and a rookie QB. Conservative was his only option, and he milked a historically notable season for his rookie pass caller. What did he do to deserve blame
For the record, Shurmur never worked with Pettis, Salas, or Kendricks and Amendola wasn't a rookie during Sam's rookie year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjab360 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
Think about it in STL, he had 4 rookie pass catchers (Salas, Pettis, Amendola, Kendricks), a rookie LT, and a rookie QB. Conservative was his only option, and he milked a historically notable season for his rookie pass caller. What did he do to deserve blame
For the record, Shurmur never worked with Pettis, Salas, or Kendricks and Amendola wasn't a rookie during Sam's rookie year.

Amendola may as well have been a rookie, I knew someone would bring that up. Good call on me being off on Shurmer's year. I guess I succeeded in drinking away the memory of 2011-2012.

Real sports fans do not condone ESPN.
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

I thought Shurmur did a good job calling an offense that suited the talent at his disposal while here in STL. This becomes especially true if you compare his work with that of Josh McDaniels. His approach here was conservative, and perhaps was in Cleveland also, but both teams warranted such a strategy.

Think about it in STL, he had 4 rookie pass catchers (Salas, Pettis, Amendola, Kendricks), a rookie LT, and a rookie QB. Conservative was his only option, and he milked a historically notable season for his rookie pass caller. What did he do to deserve blame? Here's what wikipedia says regarding his one season in STL:

"He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL"

I didn't. And I don't think saying he did better than McDaniels is much of a compliment.

Conservative was not his only option and he certainly didn't need to go anywhere near as conservative as he did. I feel that he stunted Sam's growth.

I think him leaving did more to stunt Sam's growth than if he had stayed.

I agree that saying he did better than McDaniels is not saying alot, but how much did Spags control him? We'll never know. I think that another poster got it right when they said his time in Cleveland is a better way to judge him.

jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

I thought Shurmur did a good job calling an offense that suited the talent at his disposal while here in STL. This becomes especially true if you compare his work with that of Josh McDaniels. His approach here was conservative, and perhaps was in Cleveland also, but both teams warranted such a strategy.

Think about it in STL, he had 4 rookie pass catchers (Salas, Pettis, Amendola, Kendricks), a rookie LT, and a rookie QB. Conservative was his only option, and he milked a historically notable season for his rookie pass caller. What did he do to deserve blame? Here's what wikipedia says regarding his one season in STL:

"He helped the Rams improve to a 7–9 record following a 1–15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league in 2010. He guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL"

I didn't. And I don't think saying he did better than McDaniels is much of a compliment.

Conservative was not his only option and he certainly didn't need to go anywhere near as conservative as he did. I feel that he stunted Sam's growth.

I agree that saying he did better than McDaniels is not saying alot, but how much did Spags control him? We'll never know. I think that another poster got it right when they said his time in Cleveland is a better way to judge him.

Of course, he was HC. Much better to judge him and I do believe Spags had some control over it.

That said, I think him being here stunted Sam's growth just as much as leaving did. Had he hired a new QB Coach and an OC that didn't try to force square pegs into a round hole, I think Sam would have been just fine.

Shurmur's conservative offense and overly safe nature, imo, really rubbed off on Sam in all the bad ways. And Schottenheimer spent much of this year trying to fix that.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
The J.R.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

Of course, he was HC. Much better to judge him and I do believe Spags had some control over it.

That said, I think him being here stunted Sam's growth just as much as leaving did. Had he hired a new QB Coach and an OC that didn't try to force square pegs into a round hole, I think Sam would have been just fine.

Shurmur's conservative offense and overly safe nature, imo, really rubbed off on Sam in all the bad ways. And Schottenheimer spent much of this year trying to fix that.

To use a cliche- The game still hasn't slowed down for Sam Bradford yet. I just hope Shotty stays so he has a chance this year.

jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J.R.S. wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
The J.R.S. wrote:

To use a cliche- The game still hasn't slowed down for Sam Bradford yet. I just hope Shotty stays so he has a chance this year.

Well, you could say that to a degree. Which I would say has everything to do with being put in 3 different offenses over 3 years. And having his growth stunted by his HC and his previous two OCs.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: