Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A warning to the losing team in the Super Bowl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellyfish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: A warning to the losing team in the Super Bowl Reply with quote

The last time a team eventually won a Super Bowl with a coach that lost in his first SB appearance with the same team, was the '05 Steelers with Bill Cowher. And it took them 10 seasons to get back.

The last coach/team combos that managed to do it in under 10 seasons are all from the early Super Bowl era: Landry with the Cowboys and Stram with the Chiefs. The Dolphins and Shula kind of qualify as well, even though Shulas loss with the Dolphins in '71 wasn't his first SB loss, as he lost one with the Colts before that.

And it has been ages since a first time Super Bowl loser has even made it back to a Super Bowl within the next ten years. That's Marv Levy and the Bills, and we all know how that went.

And it isn't even just the first time coaches. It applies also to coaches who have lost a Super Bowl after winning one in the past. They have returned to the SB more often, but there have been no recent winners. Joe Gibbs did win in '82, lost in '83, and won again in '87 and '91. This doesn't bode well for Tomlin or Belichick.....

In general, teams who lose in the Conference Championship game, are more likely to win a Super Bowl later with the same coach, than teams who lose their first Super Bowl. Recent such examples are McCarthy, Payton and Dungy.

Could just be coincidence, but I found it interesting.....
Badger75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtful that these historical patterns hold up. The early SB era is much closer to the 1950's-'60's NFL. Same owners, coaches and players building the league.

Jim Harbaugh could well be sitting on the next dynasty. His brother John might have more transitions as key older players retire. Also, with Pete Carroll in Seattle, that rivalry will only become more intense.

The 1970's had the Steelers-Raiders and Cowboys-Vikings rivalries to stoke the competition.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's easier to get back to a Super Bowl now than it was in the past. But, it's really interesting to look at those numbers. Thanks for sharing. I wouldn't have guessed that the time gap was that long if you asked me this question on the street.
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many teams that won the SB in that scenario didnt make it back to the SB within the next 10 years?

I mean, its pretty hard to get back to the SB. It takes a hell of a team to do it.

CK on the sig
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A warning to any team trailing the Patriots at half time:
Brady is 67-0 when leading at the half.

Things change.

I hate the Jaguars
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
A warning to any team trailing the Patriots at half time:
Brady is 67-0 when leading at the half.

Things change.

We have a winner.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its so hard to make it back to the SB as it is, now that there is a small part added to it, of course the odds are stacked against it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: