Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is the Panthers franchise a joke to the league?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shaX 07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Is the Panthers franchise a joke to the league? Reply with quote

Just a simple question, I feel like ever since we had the Jake Delhomme led Meltdown in the Divisional round of the Playoffs against Arizona in 08, this franchise has lost its way and all respect among the rest of the league along the way... I'm not one to really care what other idiotic fans think, but I mean, we're not even talked about on ESPN or NFL Network or any Sports related show...

90% of NFL fans probably don't even know that we won the last 5 out of our 6 games.. We beat Atlanta, the #1 seed and it was viewed as a fluke, oh it happens, the Panthers still suck...

I understand that because we're an expansion team, have only been in the league for 16 years that we don't have a huge history, we're not a storied franchise, we haven't won Superbowls... We don't have iconic hall of fame players who've been on our team....

But this team has done Relatively well in its short time in this league... We've been to a Superbowl, which if i'm not mistaken is still more than we can say for some teams who've been around much longer, i.e. Detroit Lions and, Cleveland..?

I just feel like this team gets no respect, and anytime somebody talks about the Panthers, its that, we suck, they're a mess, in the same division as Atlanta and New Orleans they've got no chance, etc..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

until we do get the big win or get some players into the hall we will not be looked as a serious franchise

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Toughguy77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe since that 08 season we have just been in a drought/slump. Back when we were the #2 seed in the playoffs that year, believe it or not we were picked by a few experts to make it to the SB and got pretty good recognition that year. Since then the only exposure he have gotten was drafting Cam, which gives us a good amount of publicity already. Simply if Cam fails in his third year next year, he will be an afterthought and we will be back in basement again.

*2013 NFC South Champions* Panthers
Gamecocks
rjkilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much like my devils the panthers will NEVER get any respect from their league. the constant losing doesn't help but even if we didn't suck every year we'll always be an afterthought because lets face it. it's charlotte north carolina

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much. jerry richardson spearheaded the lockout and didn't want to give into the refs earlier in the season after the packers/hawks game. drew up that pie chart and claimed to not know who jim harbaugh was (note to jerry: he is coaching in the super bowl next week). we don't let our general manager choose who the head coach will be. we choke games away.

thank god for cam or else we'd have no hope.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say we are a joke. Charlotte is a great city, although it is a smaller market. But in the next decade I think we will rise to prominence as the teams finds success and the city grows.

We were very respected after our superbowl run. We just need to win games.
Moody

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No team is looking at the Panthers like a pushover and they haven't for the last two years, they just have to start winning. The media will never care about the tiny market though, which is an added bonus when we win because they have to talk about the Panthers.

Nobody will respect a team that overpays for good players that doesn't make the playoffs.

I think we'll get back there. As Newton pointed out, this place had a "get'em on the next play" mentality, which sounds like a bunch of guys just collecting paychecks. I think that is nearly gone now and we have a chance to get back to being a respected team.
jofos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that the panthers have done some good things in a short period of time but they have done them over a period of time. They need to start putting togeather winning season, playoff appearances, and such. Teams that win for a year then drop off the map are thought of as a joke. The reason, because that show that things were not really run correctly. Giving contracts that cripple the teams salary cap and things like that reflect on the entire organization. Teams that win consistantly no what the value of players are to their team and pay them or let them walk based on that value. When the panthers figure out what the identity of the team is and build correctly based on that then they will start winning and people will respect them. Of course then if the start winning a lot everyone wil hate them and say they are arrogant.
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the biggest joke in the league hands down has been the Cleveland Browns. Even when we win the media talks about how terrible and unprepared the other team came out. We win and the story is OMG what happened to said team. Every sunday the highlights for our game last about 2.5 plays unless we play something like Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck and then it last about 8 plays long all of which are the other team whether we win or lose.

Players, GMs, and coachs have lost all respect for the entire franchsie. Mario Manningham, Chris Cooley and numerous others have publically laughed at the idea of coming to Cleveland as a free agent. Head coaches like Chip Kelly use us as leverage for a bigger deal for the team they really wanted to coach. GMs make it a yearly playground beat down when it comes to trades as we are always overpaying to trade up or for players such as Corey Williams or Shaun Rogers, yet we never get the same value in return such as trading #5 all the way to #17 for a 2nd and some backups, trading down with Batimore for only a 6th so they can get Haoti Ngata, trading down 2 times to get a whopping 2 6ths. The list goes on and on and on.

We are the joke amoung the league, fans and media.

Anyway I came in here t ask about Captain Munnerlyn if he played on the outside at all or just a slot corner?

Jamison on the sig
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
Anyway I came in here t ask about Captain Munnerlyn if he played on the outside at all or just a slot corner?
He's pretty turribad on the outside. He's done it in the past (notably 2011 when he flat out sucked). When he stays in the slot he's actually quite solid. I'd even go so far as to say he's a pretty good slot corner, definitely better than average.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: