Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the Franchise- The Salary Cap Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much money can we save cutting Marecic?

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
How much money can we save cutting Marecic?

Stuff all but well worth it. He is a all new kind of stink that I cant begin to describe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does Patterson being released effect the cap?

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:

I think it means we can get every Free agent we want. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Better Question how much does Patterson being picked up off waivers with his contract effect the cap? Wink

Adopt a Brown: QB Brandon Weeden
247/433 57% 2820yds 6.5avg 13 TD 15 Int
bulldog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgSoldier wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
Better Question how much does Patterson being picked up off waivers with his contract effect the cap? Wink

I don't think it will effec the cap at all. Just means the browns are not responable for his bonus.

But I could be wrong.

Ill make time for this over the holiday and get it updated
bulldog

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
DawgSoldier wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

I don't think it will effec the cap at all. Just means the browns are not responable for his bonus.

But I could be wrong.

Ill make time for this over the holiday and get it updated

I'm posting this in here and hopefully I get time to go back and edit the OP. I have to account for Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams in the OP as well.

Patterson's contract looked like this
year- base - bonus - total cap hit
2012 -2,950,000 -1,100,000 - 4,050,000
2013 -4,500,000 -1,100,000 - 5,600,000
2014 -5,300,000 -1,100,000 - 6,400,000

$6M was guaranteed.
This is the amount that matters. Since Patterson was claimed, the Browns are off the hook for his bonus money. I'm not sure about the years after or about the dead money that could factor into it later.

My best educated guess is that since he was waived midseason and claimed, the Browns suffer no cap hit this year. But will suffer a cap hit of $1.1M for 2013 and 2014, but will not owe Patterson any dollar amount.

I also found this gem for those wondering.

Quote:
Section 1. Release:

(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. If the waivers occur after that time, the player's Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club. However, if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract. If such player does not have a no-trade clause and the Player Contract being awarded through waivers covers more than one additional season, the player shall have the right to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent as set forth above at the end of the League Year following the League Year in which he is waived and awarded.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/9/4/2403722/how-does-the-nfl-waiver-wire-system-work
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/5/1016903/how-does-the-nfl-waiver-wire
cattleman78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of now 80% of availible cap money is held by 8 teams I'm also going to list players in 2013 they need to resign and players free agents they may extend this year.
1. Cinci 55.1 million players 2013 Michael Johnson d.e. and Andre Smith o.t. 2014 Geno Atkins d.t.

2. Cle. 48.9 mill. 2013 Phil Dawson k 2014 Alex Mack c and T.J. Ward s

3. Indy 46 mill. 2013 Dwight Freeney d.e./o.l.b. probably lets him go 2014 Vontae Davis c.b.

4. Miami 35.8 mill. 2013 Jake Long o.t. probably lets him go. Sean Smith c.b. ,Chris Clemons safety,Brian Hartline w.r. ,Reggie Bush r.b. maybe lets him go.

5. T. Bay 31.3 mill. 2013 Ronde Barber may let him go 2014 Josh Freeman q.b.

6.Jax. 22.1 mill. 2013 Derek Cox c.b. 2014 M.J. Drew r.b.

7. Tenn. 19.4 mill. 2014 Kenny Britt w.r. With his off field problems he probably won't get extended this year.

8. N. Eng. 18.6 mill. 2013 Wesley Walker w.r., Patrick Chung safety and Aquib Telib c.b.

Now I'm probably missing a few guys teams will want to resign or extend. I picked out their best players hopefully.
Indy and Cleveland after resigning their own players look like the teams in the best shape cap wise. Some players I listed may be let go also.

Adopted Brown Tashaun Gipson safety
vs. g.bay 7 tackles,2 asst. tackles and 1 pass defended
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
As of now 80% of availible cap money is held by 8 teams I'm also going to list players in 2013 they need to resign and players free agents they may extend this year.
1. Cinci 55.1 million players 2013 Michael Johnson d.e. and Andre Smith o.t. 2014 Geno Atkins d.t.

2. Cle. 48.9 mill. 2013 Phil Dawson k 2014 Alex Mack c and T.J. Ward s

3. Indy 46 mill. 2013 Dwight Freeney d.e./o.l.b. probably lets him go 2014 Vontae Davis c.b.

4. Miami 35.8 mill. 2013 Jake Long o.t. probably lets him go. Sean Smith c.b. ,Chris Clemons safety,Brian Hartline w.r. ,Reggie Bush r.b. maybe lets him go.

5. T. Bay 31.3 mill. 2013 Ronde Barber may let him go 2014 Josh Freeman q.b.

6.Jax. 22.1 mill. 2013 Derek Cox c.b. 2014 M.J. Drew r.b.

7. Tenn. 19.4 mill. 2014 Kenny Britt w.r. With his off field problems he probably won't get extended this year.

8. N. Eng. 18.6 mill. 2013 Wesley Walker w.r., Patrick Chung safety and Aquib Telib c.b.

Now I'm probably missing a few guys teams will want to resign or extend. I picked out their best players hopefully.
Indy and Cleveland after resigning their own players look like the teams in the best shape cap wise. Some players I listed may be let go also.

God Heckert set us up so good...

Thanks for posting this.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
candyman93

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extend Mack, Phil and TJ. So we'd be looking at roughly 30+ mil to spend?

That would allow us to pay 2 guys fat contracts if we want to. The rest would be spent on fillers and draft picks.

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
cattleman78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to pro football talk we have 14.3 million dollars in carryover cap money we can spend. I don't see us spending it though.
I think we spend to about the 89% percent we have to. 89% of 120 million is around 107 million. 120 million dollars is around what the cap should be.
Look to spend around 35.9 in extensions,rookie money pool and free agency. I think we will sign a few free agents but don't see us spending 48.9 million or any of the carryover money.

Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cattleman78 wrote:
According to pro football talk we have 14.3 million dollars in carryover cap money we can spend. I don't see us spending it though.
I think we spend to about the 89% percent we have to. 89% of 120 million is around 107 million. 120 million dollars is around what the cap should be.
Look to spend around 35.9 in extensions,rookie money pool and free agency. I think we will sign a few free agents but don't see us spending 48.9 million or any of the carryover money.

Wouldnt the browns have to spend enough to hit the floor + the carry over money as well too?

Since there are now penalties for not hitting the minimum salary floor, allowing teams to carry over money to future seasons does not make sense.

at this point, it looks like its spend it or lose it.. .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
cattleman78 wrote:

Wouldnt the browns have to spend enough to hit the floor + the carry over money as well too?

Since there are now penalties for not hitting the minimum salary floor, allowing teams to carry over money to future seasons does not make sense.

at this point, it looks like its spend it or lose it.. .

The way I understand it the 89% starts this year. Also teams have to average 89% over three years. So they could spend like 80% this year 90% next year and 100% the third year and be okay. Since there was no amount you had to spend last year my understanding is the carry over doesn't have to be spent. One of the problems with spending 48.9 million and the 14.3 million in carryover it puts you 14.3 million over the cap next year minus expiring contracts and if the cap goes up. My guess is we spend around 35.9 million this year give or take a few million.

cattleman78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but I read where the 48.9 million we have to spend includes the 14.3 million in carryover money. So actually without the carryover money we have 34.6 million to spend. I f we spend 89% of the cap money that would be about 21.6 million we would spend. If we spend 4 million on rookie contracts, 4 million a year on extending Mack [8 million a year] and 5 million on Ward [6 million a year] we have about 8.6 million to spend. We won't be spending as much as we thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: