Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Junior Seau's family is suing the NFL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 40502
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Junior Seau's family is suing the NFL Reply with quote

Quote:
The family of Junior Seau has sued the NFL, claiming the former linebacker's suicide was the result of brain disease caused by violent hits he sustained while playing football.

The wrongful death lawsuit, filed Wednesday in California Superior Court in San Diego, blames the NFL for its "acts or omissions" that hid the dangers of repetitive blows to the head. It says Seau developed chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) from those hits, and accuses the NFL of deliberately ignoring and concealing evidence of the risks associated with traumatic brain injuries.

Seau died at age 43 of a self-inflicted gunshot in May. He was diagnosed with CTE, based on posthumous tests, earlier this month.


http://pro32.ap.org/content/seaus-family-sues-nfl-over-brain-injuries
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it begins...
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RaidersAreOne


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 9350
Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate this crap. The players CHOOSE to play in this league. Whatever happens on the field, is a direct cause stemming from THEIR decision of playing in the league. They could have left at anytime. Completely ridiculous and I am so sick of hearing about people blaming the NFL for their injuries and sicknesses when they choose that career path.
_________________

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Flaccomania


Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Posts: 22848
Location: Parkville, MD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't this be lumped into the current suit by the NFLPA? Or at least be related?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHONUFF


Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 3270
Location: fairfield, Ca
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: coward. Reply with quote

Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...
_________________
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9094
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9104
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"


How can you compare crashing an unsafe car to committing suicide? One is clearly intentional.

Also, there is VERY LITTLE legal precedent for assigning blame or responsibility for suicide to another party.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 19294
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"


How can you compare crashing an unsafe car to committing suicide? One is clearly intentional.

Also, there is VERY LITTLE legal precedent for assigning blame or responsibility for suicide to another party.
Is it? Intent, legally speaking, involves having the mental capacity to make a choice, Seau may not have had the mental capacity to do so, as is evidenced by the Tao found on his brain.

His mental health clearly played in his suicide, and his mental health clearly was affected by his play in the NFL. And the accusation is that the NFL had evidence of the damage of concussions but w/h that information.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
StLunatic88


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 7713
Location: How good is your Good?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"
And thats all people do in todays society.

Its always easier to blame someone else for things that go wrong, especially if you can get some money out of it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9094
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"
And thats all people do in todays society.

Its always easier to blame someone else for things that go wrong, especially if you can get some money out of it...


right in todays society.....and by today i assume you mean the beginning of time....because assigning blame to people who willfully hide or ignore danger to there employees, customers, or people in general has happened since the beginning of written history.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9094
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"


How can you compare crashing an unsafe car to committing suicide? One is clearly intentional.

Also, there is VERY LITTLE legal precedent for assigning blame or responsibility for suicide to another party.
Is it? Intent, legally speaking, involves having the mental capacity to make a choice, Seau may not have had the mental capacity to do so, as is evidenced by the Tao found on his brain.

His mental health clearly played in his suicide, and his mental health clearly was affected by his play in the NFL. And the accusation is that the NFL had evidence of the damage of concussions but w/h that information.


excatly....it may be a legit case....if anything comes of it there will be massive safety rules put into affect.
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SHONUFF


Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 3270
Location: fairfield, Ca
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: coward Reply with quote

Since Jr decided to take the cowardly way out, we'll never know about his mental capacity, will we.. The only thing we know about his mental state is that he was a selfish person wiling to leave his children without a father...
_________________
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.


Last edited by SHONUFF on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 9104
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"


How can you compare crashing an unsafe car to committing suicide? One is clearly intentional.

Also, there is VERY LITTLE legal precedent for assigning blame or responsibility for suicide to another party.
Is it? Intent, legally speaking, involves having the mental capacity to make a choice, Seau may not have had the mental capacity to do so, as is evidenced by the Tao found on his brain.

His mental health clearly played in his suicide, and his mental health clearly was affected by his play in the NFL. And the accusation is that the NFL had evidence of the damage of concussions but w/h that information.


Bold point one: to avoid bogged down in the word "intent," let's look at it this way. There is not a direct connection in terms of motive between driving an unsafe car and dying. You drove the car to get from point A to point B, not to die. With Seau shooting himself, he pointed a gun at himself and pulled the trigger in order to kill himself. They are not analogous situations.

Bold point two: what proves this? How can you say "clearly?" There is still a ton of questions regarding the actual effects of CTE and to assign responsibility to another party for his suicide will take A LOT. Keep in mind that he was apparently having financial difficulties as well. I'm not trying to deny that CTE can have any long term effects, but to claim that we know for a fact that it is the cause here is absurd and is the same type of thinking that has lead to countless "scientific facts" throughout human history.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GeneralTso


Joined: 08 Dec 2007
Posts: 7248
Location: Props to Rase on Sig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"


Well in any of your scenarios, why should there be a lawsuit anyways?
_________________
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
Yeah, [Mike] Wallace would be like 4th fastest on the Raiders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
eagles101


Joined: 15 Feb 2005
Posts: 9094
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: coward. Reply with quote

GeneralTso wrote:
eagles101 wrote:
SHONUFF wrote:
Suing the NFL, because he decided to play a sport with high speed collisions and in the end took the cowardly way out...They should blame Jr for him not being around anymore, not the NFL...


you could say that about anything then. you work at a factor that people die in, "well he should have quit he new the factor was dangerous." crash a car and die "he should have bought a new one, he knew the safety rating was bad"


Well in any of your scenarios, why should there be a lawsuit anyways?


there has been a lot of lawsuits for unsafe working conditions and unsafe cars.....like a lot.....sooo
_________________
vikingsvikings wrote:

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group