Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whats our biggest need?
Safety
34%
 34%  [ 23 ]
Defensive End
30%
 30%  [ 20 ]
Wide Receiver
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Running Back
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Center
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Inside Linebacker
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Offensive Tackle
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Other
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blink wrote:
boratt wrote:
Safety, RB

And I'm with the ILB group too. Put a star in there with Bishop, and we're kinda beastly up the middle (especially if that player has lightning speed.) Only reason I put S a good notch higher is because it will have a similar affect and we literally have garbage at that spot. With Bishop coming back, at least we have one good ILB.

I'm starting to think the same, I don't think we'll do a whole lot this year though. We have numerous other needs and Hawk will be a costly cut, unless a star falls into our laps I think we roll with Bish/Hawk in base with Jones coming in on obv passing downs. I don't mind that too much tbh, but if we lost Bishop again we'd be in the same awful situation.

Interesting draft this year. We won the division with these guys so we aren't completely inept at one single positions. We can basically take BPA because I don't really think we have a position that couldn't use an upgrade or some quality depth. I'm already obsessing over scenarios and winters not even over yet.

I do not think Jones is even on the team next year. We are going to have to be awfully lucky to get him to resign here for a back up role and back up pricing. I fully expect to see Manning integrated into the defense next year and assume Jones back up role.

Hawk and Bishop will likely be your starters and Manning and Smith will be your back ups barring any unlikely, costly Hawk cut and Ogletree falling into our laps. Ogletree is the only guy I see in this draft that could be a superstar in this defense paired with Bishop after Ogletree gets over his initial learning curve with the D.
packattack86

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GB could definately use a guy to replace Collins, a ballhawk w/ speed that can cover a lot of ground and isn't afraid to tackle. Unfortunately I don't see any of those in this draft, at least not in RD1, but the overall depth seems good.

Alec Ogletree would be a nice upgrade at ILB over Hawk due to his athletic ability/speed, but he'll be long gone by 26.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with Safety. You look at how we've gotten blown out in 3 of the last 4 years on defense and it starts with that secondary. Fortunately, we have had a couple rookies step up this year but that secondary is still a project. I don't see Woodson coming back, Slowpoke Williams needs to take a massive pay cut or GET cut, and after that we have inconsistency and poor tackling skills amplified by a sorry coaching scheme.

That aside, you can't overlook the need for a Center, another OLB, another NT to replace Pickett, and yes, another TE to replace Finley.

Our needs are:

1. Safety: I still have ugly thoughts about MD Jennings riding a ballcarrier trying to tackle him.

2. CB: We need a solid starter opposite Hayward who has the ball skills and speed to stick to the WR and the physicality to make a solid tackle.

3. Center: We haven't seen enough out of EDS and competition in camp is highly warranted.

4. OLB: Most people think ILB is the weaker of our LB spots. Instead, it's actually the OLB position. Lest we not forget how much weaker our defense became after Perry went down.

5. WR: It is highly likely that Jennings will be gone and Driver will not return. Jarrett Boykin is largely untested so drafting a WR late in the draft, like Chad Bumphis for example, is a tertiary need.

6. TE: Finley has not put up and we've all but abandoned the use of a TE as a result. Crabtree made a couple great plays early in the year but then fizzled out. We don't know if Quarless can come back and DJ Williams did diddly poo in year two. That's a cause for concern.
ayt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor1124 wrote:
It's DE imo. A good disruptive DE upgrades our ILB and safety positions with its play. No other position on defense can really say that. Look at every good 3-4 defense. Jj watt for houston, Justin smith for san fran, haloti ngata for the ravens,Cullen Jenkins for us a couple years ago. I think a ball-hawking safety is a close second but the evidence seems to support a DE being our top need.

I agree. We really need a DE with some topflight ability.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time we won the Superb Owl we had Collins and Jenkins, so we must need a S and a DE. Seems a bit simplistic... Not that we don't actually need both. Crossed my mind and I had to laugh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: